Mark Cuban Does DaVE!

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[CENTER][SIZE="5"][B][FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Tweeners"[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] Nemesis was whistling when he got to the office today, and popped his head in to say good morning, actually [b]bringing[/b] me a cup of black coffee. "What's got you so cheery, big guy?" I asked. "Did you see the game last night? Oh, hell of a game. Instant classic. The Suns beat the Mavs in double overtime. Incredible." I paused. "The Dallas Mavericks? Mark Cuban's team?" Nemesis smiled with a strange twinkle in his eye. I smirked into my coffee. "Didn't think you were much of a Suns fan." Nemesis smirked back. "I am now." As he walked out, I booted up my computer and checked out the internet coverage of last night's [b]Vendetta[/b]. Coverage of the show was very positive, especially the main event, which DaVE fans almost universally lauded as being exactly the sort of thing we've marketed [b]Vendetta[/b] to do - give solid workers who can't crack the absolute top of the card at [b]Danger Zone[/b] a chance at main eventing. Reed and Minnesota put on a show that had everyone calling for more of the same, and the anticipated backlash about demoting Big Cat and Peak to the upper midcard didn't hit as hard as I thought it would. Even Payne's influential [b]"View From Here"[/b] web-blog gave me a rare pass on this one, though that wouldn't be anything I dared take for granted. More thought provoking were the comments of long-time industry insider [b]Jehovah[/b], who I knew to himself be on the booking team of a major American federation (though not one that has been active lately HINT HINT), and [b]Beeker[/b], who I didn't know as well, both describing the same thing... something has gone funny with DaVE's treatment of kayfabe lately, and the fans are picking up on it. Although I never set out to do it, the attentive viewers have made it impossible to ignore. DaVE has historically been a federation drawn with clear and heavy strokes - the faces were good guys, the heels were bad guys, and turns were nothing less than complete psychological reversals on the magnitude of Darth Vader's last breath or Benedict Arnold's legacy (and hell, who really knows what the hell Benedict Arnold did? Talk about lazy with the analogies...). This bothers me. A hardcore federation is full of people doing dicey things - hitting eachother in the face with barbed wire covered boards for a whole host of reasons - ambition, anger, psychosis... to try to reduce this to some sort of binary moral structure was, to me, belittling. People are ****ing complicated, right? Why should DaVE make everything so artificially simple? But the irony of all of this is in how it happened.... Eric Tyler is as much a purest as can be found in professional wrestling, and he means it and lives it - it isn't a character or a gimmick. He's devoted to the art of wrestling as something with its own heredity and tradition. He takes his responsibility to this sport very seriously. So it's ironic that he has done so much to muddle the waters of kayfabe. Is Eric Tyler a face? Is he a heel? As far as I can tell, he's neither - he's really nothing less than a referendum on the entire notion of traditionalist hardcore wrestling. It goes like this - if you like hardcore wrestling, if you want to see DaVE as close to pure bloodsport as possible, you're likely to gravitate towards guys like Tyler. If you like the streamlined, modern version emphasizing guys like Acid and Giedroyc, you're likely to look at Tyler as a heel and Cuban as a face. Basically, you decide. It gets worse. The Cult of the Gray Dragon, as Beeker argues, can be fairly characterized as faces who use blowguns and cheat. The New Wave are heels who almost religiously adhere to the rules. Nemesis is our most popular worker, and he's a notorious brute, cheat and savage. Eddie Peak is a bloodthirsty psychopath, yet our internet forum is practically a shrine to Peak marks screaming for MORE violence, MORE brutality. There have already been multiple calls for Peak to literally drink the blood of poor Cameron Vessey, who hasn't even really debuted yet, and whose biggest crime is being something of a whining li'l *****. So screw kayfabe. Cuban backs me on this one - he likes the organically developed, non-contrived face and heel subjectivity of professional basketball, and I'm with him. For me, the Lakers are heels. The Pistons are faces. It's just always been that way. But for some *** in Los Angeles, that might be the other way around. The point is, we're all smart people. I don't need to tell you who the good guys are. If you wanna see Eddie Peak drink the blood of some 19 year old kid, if you mark out for that, well ****, don't apologize! You paid your ****ing money just like everyone else, cheer who you ****ing want to! The most important part of that whole distinction, after all, is the idea of a [i][b]turn[/b][/i], right? That moment of soul saving redemption or total damnation? We got that. We still do that. But there's gray in there somewhere, yeah? Even the comic books figured out a long time ago that it's just not as simple as faces and heels anymore - the badguys, they got motivations of their own... and the good guys, they got problems of their own. That's why Batman will ALWAYS be better than Superman. One thing, though.... all those guys who have somehow convinced themselves that the Cult of the Gray Dragon represent some sort of "good guy" faction need to stick around and keep their eyes open. They're likely to get learned. [i]From dave.com...[/i][QUOTE] [CENTER][B][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]NEXT WEEK ON....[/FONT][/B] [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/Danger1.jpg[/IMG] [i](Thanks again for the banner, Payne!)[/i] [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/EricTyler.jpg[/IMG]-vs-[IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/MarkCuban.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] A lot of you have been losing sleep waiting for this one - the match that tears the whole idea of kayfabe out at the roots and pees all over it - nothing short of a TOTAL REFERENDUM ON DaVE ITSELF... it's [b]Eric Tyler[/b] up against [b]Mark Cuban[/b] in a [b]WHIP YOU WITH A STRAP MATCH!!![/b] The very control of DaVE may hang in the balance! Is it a heel versus a face? A face versus a heel? A heel versus a heel? A wrestler versus a guy in a diaper? Stay tuned to [FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="DarkRed"]DANGER ZONE![/COLOR][/FONT] [CENTER][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/BulldozerBrandonSmith.jpg[/IMG]-vs-[IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/ShawnGonzalez.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] He's been rising like a meteor through the ranks of DaVE - leaving a trail of battered bodies and driving [b]Eddie Peak[/b] to the absolute limit, it's a statement match this week for stand-out rookie [b]"Bulldozer" Brandon Smith[/b] as he faces the dangerous veteran [b]Shawn Gonzales[/b]! Will the rookie continue his rise to stardom or will experience triumph over youth? [b]ALSO ON DANGERZONE! [i]Cameron Vessey finally debuts and this time we mean it! Adrenaline Rush in a pre-PPV tune-up match! All of this and more, on [FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="DarkRed"]DANGERZONE!![/COLOR][/FONT][/b][/i] [/QUOTE]

More WRESTLING, less TALKING about wrestling!!! j/k Huh, I didn't think it was anywhere near that complicated. I figured Cuban is a face, just not a popular one, Tyler is a heel, Guide and Scout are heels, Acid is a heel, Eddie Peak is a heel, everyone is a damn heel. But I also know that DaVE, on the default setting, is about 90% heels. But Tyler really does read like a face, man. And I think there's a difference between marking out for someone (ala Peak) and being someone that people root for as a "good guy". But I see your point - if you hate Cuban, you're probably gonna look at Tyler as a face. I don't "like" Cuban at all - skinny internet millionaires aren't always real likeable - but I do like the "new" DaVE. Still, I'm hoping Tyler kicks his ass.

That was probably one of the best opinion pieces on wrestling I've read in a while. It brings to mind Vince's "pushing the envelope" speech with more bleeps. I often think that might be what takes wrestling into another boom--last time, it was the bad guy as the good guy, maybe this time it will be true shades of grey that people just care about because their characters are so good, and deep. Or maybe it'll be more guys with big muscles. Dozer for the win, and I'll wager some e-cred to say Cuban takes it with some help. If the boss is giving those pompous asses on Sportscenter something to talk about, it's a win.

[CENTER][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="5"]"The Anticipation Is The Worst Part"[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER] Today was the day I had been referring to as "Black Sunday" for the last three months, even though it fell on a Thursday. Since Vibert left, our best guys had been locked up on written contracts, and there were no really problematic extensions. Travis Century, Art Reed and Nathan Coleman had all come up for renewals - only Century walked, and Reed surprisingly agreed to sign on the cheap. Today, however, would begin a long chain of renewals for several main eventers and uppermidcarders, and I held out no real hope that we'd be able to keep all of them. The one I dreaded the most would come first, however. I sent out the request for a meeting first thing in the morning, then shook my head and returned to booking the show. If the worst case scenario came to pass, it was altogether possible that I wouldn't learn the fate of an absolutely crucial main eventer until the day of the PPV itself. These things happen. [CENTER][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/Danger1.jpg[/IMG][/center] [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Week 4, March, 2007, Held for a sold out crowd of 2,000 at the Arkansas Coliseum (South East)...[/FONT] [CENTER][B][U][FONT="Arial Black"]DARK MATCH: Johnny Martin vs Dallas McWade (w/ Dean McWade)[/FONT][/U][/B][/CENTER] Result: Johnny Martin d. Dallas McWade when Dean McWade interferes, causing a DQ. [i]Jack's Notes: Hey! Good chemistry! Random, and ultimately pretty much useless! I wish I had any idea what to do with the McWades. Put them in the tag picture? Maybe? If they didn't keep dropping floaters in the bowl whenever I gave them a shot... I don't know, I think the McWades would be better off if either the ODB or New Wave held the belts... of course, those guys are all heels. And they don't match up with Adrenaline Rush at all, so they're lost. We really need more faces in the tag game. Faces like Johnny Martin, maybe. Oh right, we tried that. When was the last time I remembered to visit Steve in the hospital, anyway?[/i] [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: C[/COLOR] [CENTER][B][U][FONT="Arial Black"]DARK MATCH: Black Eagle vs American Elemental[/FONT][/U][/B][/CENTER] Result: Black Eagle d. American Elemental w/a [b]New Jersey Turnpike[/b] [i]Jack's Notes: Okay - AE's ready. Now I just need to figure out how to work him in. I would've put this match on TV, but I don't have any idea how to run with American Elemental's "comic book hero" character, and I think he deserves a push, not just screentime. Nice to see him overachieving. This match was a pleasure to watch, and solid despite neutral chemistry and an average overness of about D-. [b]The Cult of the Gray Dragon[/b] seems like a good, natural set of antagonists for an aerialist like AE. Expect to see a lot more of him after the PPV.[/i] [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: C+[/COLOR] [CENTER][B]***MAIN SHOW***[/B] [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/MarkCuban.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Cuban comes out for his opening monologue in his usual sporty poloshirt and slacks. He's met with the usual mix of cheers and boos, though the optimist in me thinks he can hear the cheers starting to predominate a little more. Cuban: Hello, Arkansas. It's good to see you again. (Pop) Many of you witnessed the unfortunate events last week involving myself and Eric Tyler... (The jumbotron shows footage of Tyler kicking Cuban in the ass and dumping him out of the ring, and a short montage of Tyler laughing at Cuban spread out over the last month of [b][i]DANGER ZONE TV[/b][/i] and a recap of the events leading up to tonight's [b]STRAP MATCH[/b] main event) Cuban: But enough of that. You see, not too long ago, I received an E-Mail from an industry favorite asking me for a personal favor regarding his nephew, [b]Cameron Vessey[/b]. As a gentleman, I granted that favor, and I am proud to introduce my... INTERN! That's right, Cameron Vessey, it's your lucky day! You can work in the office, get coffee, and see real, live wrestling matches up close! You can put it on your resume! Why don't you come out and introduce yourself, Cammy! [CENTER][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/CameronVessey.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] (Cameron Vessey appears at the top of the ramp, red-faced and dressed in a tightly fitting button down shirt - he shuffles awkwardly down the ramp to an explosion of boos and catcalls) Cuban: That's right! Come 'ere, Cammy! (Cuban wraps an arm around the shoulders of the embarrassed Vessey) You and me, we're gonna be like two peas in a pod! [CENTER][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/EricTyler.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] (Tyler hits the ramp, but he's laughing so hard that he can't speak) Tyler: The INTERN! Peas in a pod! Oh, that's rich! Welcome to DaVE, "Cammy". Better not go dropping the soap, you know what I mean? (the smile drops off his face) But don't let me catch you creepin' around, "Cammy". Me and Mark got a date with a strap, and I don't wanna see you crashing it. I'm gonna stripe you like a tiger, Cuban, and I'd be damn thrilled to stripe your little boy, too. See you in a few, dead man... (Tyler lets loose with another guffaw, shakes his head, wipes a tear, and disappears backstage. Both Vessey and Cuban look shell-shocked) [i]Unfortunately, the crowd hates Vessey from the get go... his leaked e-mail has been widely circulated among the core DaVE fanbase by now... and the chants of "whiny b****" start up immediately, and by the end of this very short segment, Vessey is red-faced and humiliated. Nemesis is undoubtedly smiling somewhere backstage, but I feel my heart sink. This kid is only 19, he's got a world of talent, and I've debuted him by shaming him on national television. Maybe this makes the internet smarks happy, but... I dunno. That's one more beer I'll be needing to get to sleep tonight. Mentally, I make a note to call Cameron in and tell him that this is only the first step in a very long and promising career in the ring. I don't want to kill the kid's confidence on his first real outing - he doesn't have a lot of friends backstage as it is.[/i] [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: D- [/COLOR] [i](Again, the crowd doesn't like him much)[/i] [CENTER][B][U][FONT="Arial Black"]Nathan Coleman vs Sammy Bach vs Guide[/FONT][/U][/B] [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/NathanColeman.jpg[/IMG]-vs-[IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/SammyBach.jpg[/IMG]-vs-[IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/Guide.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Result: Nathan Coleman d. Sammy Bach and Guide by pinfall after brass-knucks style interference by JD Morgan. [i]Jack's Notes: A mediocre pre-PPV tune-up to push the tag storyline that never really gets going. I just don't understand the tag division - they continue to underperform, EVERY SINGLE TIME. The strategy on this one was to pick the more promising member of each of the three teams competing at the PPV. This ended up being something of a wild one, with the other members of all three tag teams rushing the ring after Scout reached through the ropes to trip up Sammy Bach. In the midst of this mad scrum, JD Morgan tags Sammy Bach between the eyes with the brass knucks, and Sammy drops like a bloody sack of potatoes. Emma and Teddy Powell pull him from the ring after the match, leaving The Old Dirty Bastards to stare down with The New Wave. As the New Wave retreat, the stubbly, dirty, ill-mannered Old Dirty Bastards scream out their two part mantra... IT'S THE OLD D-D-D-D-D-DIRTY BA-ASTARDS! BROOKLYN ZOO! ... and no one gets it. I still haven't decided what will happen at the PPV with these three teams, and I've honestly lost a little sleep over it. Are the Old Dirty Bastards really ready for a championship? Would they be transitional champions? Do the New Wave have better things to do? Would putting the belt on Scout and Guide muddy the [b]School of Tradition[/b] plotline? Should I just leave it on the pretty boys? Will they all just pull C- matches regardless of what I do?[/i] [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: C-[/COLOR] [CENTER][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/Nemisis-1.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Backstage, Nemesis is looming in front of a very demoralized looking [b]Menace[/b]. [b]Travis Century[/b] and [b]Hell's Bouncer[/b] are staring at the ground, while Eddie Peak leans against a locker, picking his teeth with some sort of unidentified bone and stroking a large, plush, stuffed toy shark. Taking a deep breath, Nemesis explodes at Hell's Bouncer and Travis Century, calls them worse than useless, and wishing aloud that he could step in the ring himself. Shaking his head and swearing under his breath, he exhales noisily and looks up with burning eyes. "My brethren, [b]Big Cat Brandon[/b] is a threat. Perhaps I have erred by not taking him seriously enough, by sending you... [i]children[/i]... into the ring to do something only Eddie can do... but he can't do it alone. You see, Big Cat Brandon has help. Eddie has only... well... the two of you. But fear not. Eddie has faced and defeated Big Cat Brandon once already - an isolated, unsupported, solitary Big Cat Brandon. And he WILL defeat him again. But it is up to us... to the both of you and myself... to make sure he IS alone." "... [b]Bulldozer Brandon Smith[/b] must be laid low, broken, destroyed!!!" (after a long and tense pause, the mic picks up Eddie Peak muttering to himself in the background....) Eddie: (quietly stroking his toy shark) ... laid low... laid high... freeze dried... beef jerkied... smoked turkeyed... monte cristo'd... i love crisco... Mr. Nabisco... Eddie: (not noticing everyone staring at him) ... anybody wanna peanut? [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: B-[/COLOR] [CENTER][B][U][FONT="Arial Black"]#4 Eric Tyler vs Mark Cuban[/FONT][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Blue"]STRAP MATCH[/COLOR][/B] [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/EricTyler.jpg[/IMG]-vs-[IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/MarkCuban.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Result: Eric Tyler d. Mark Cuban by pinfall. [i]Jack's Notes: The crowd was hot for this one. Cuban came out first with Cameron "Cammy" Vessey looking uncomfortable at his side. There was a lot of laughing coming from the crowd during his entrance, but it was hard to tell if they were laughing at Vessey's resentful intern shtick or Cuban's ridiculous wrestling singlet, which looks like something pulled from a college wrestling team, with a giant yellow "C" on both the front and the back. He's actually sort of cut, especially in the legs, but he's visibly terrified as a supremely confident Eric Tyler saunters out to a big crowd reaction, trailing a ten foot long broad leather strap and smiling. Cuban stands as far away from Tyler as possible as the strap is lashed to both men's right wrist. As soon as the bell sounds, Tyler uses the strap to pull Cuban into a massive short-arm clothesline, but Cuban ducks. Frustrated, Tyler charges with another lariat but Cuban ducks again. Tyler shakes his head and screams at him to stand still and lock up, but Cuban keeps moving, bouncing on the balls of his feet. With a crooked smile, Tyler patiently reels Cuban in. Cuban and Tyler engage in a brief bit of tug of war before Cuban suddenly dives forward, catching Tyler with a high shoulder tackle, landing astride him and landing a series of punches to the face of Tyler that has the entire arena raging in surprise. Cuban pulls Tyler up, and throws two solid rights to the face before Tyler catches him under one arm and hits him with a standing spinebuster that puts an end to Cuban's brief offense. From there, it's a brutal affair... Tyler toys with Cuban, choking him extensively with the strap and hitting him with multiple short-arm clotheslines and one groinbustingly vicious atomic drop. Tyler finally makes the pin after hitting the [b]Weight of Tradition[/b] brainbuster. Cuban is out cold, and Tyler pins him with a boot on the chest, grinning at the booing crowd.[/i] [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: C-[/COLOR] [i]Makes sense... an overlong squash match featuring very dubious wrestling fundamentals from Mr. Cuban and an interference from a completely unknown rookie worker...[/i] After the ref makes the count, Tyler unties the strap from his and Cuban's wrist, yelling how he's going to whip Cuban with a strap. He raises the strap above his head and swings it around a few times like a lasso before ****ing back to unleash a flogging on Cuban. His arm snaps forward and... Cammy Vessey has ahold of the end of the line! Tyler smiles and shakes his head. "I WARNED YOU, BOY... WELCOME TO DaVE!" In a bound, he crosses the ring, ties Cammy up, hoists him into the air, stalls, and WHAM! A second [b]Weight of Tradition[/b] levels the youngest of the Vessey clan. Tyler turns back, but Cuban has rolled out of the ring and is backing up the ramp. With a huge grin on his face, Tyler raises the strap again and lets Vessey have it... ONE... TWO... THREE... [b]TEN LASHES FOR CAMERON VESSEY![/b] [i]And the crowd was mostly cheering for that one. Sadistic ****s, these DaVE marks... [/i] [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: C[/COLOR] [CENTER][B][U][FONT="Arial Black"]#8 Chris Caulfield vs #10 Fumihiro Ota[/FONT][/U][/B] [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/ChrisCaufield.jpg[/IMG]-vs-[IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/FumihiroOta.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Result: Chris Caulfield d. Ota by DQ after Ota blowguns him and nearly beheads him with a [b]Ninja Strike[/b]. [i]Jack's Notes: Basically a promo match designed to show how dangerous Ota has really become without jobbing Caulfield too badly. Ota cuts a good, shadowy figure, and although Caulfield isn't much of a technical wrestler, he does a good job of selling Ota's painful looking wristlocks and hammerlocks. Ota concentrates on keeping Caulfield off of his feet, using footsweeps and renewing the submission holds on the ground. Caulfield rallies late, however, elbowing his way out of a hammerlock and coming off of the turnbuckle with a huge clothesline. Caulfield makes a strong rally and looks to be closing in on the pinfall with a couple long two-counts. He flings Ota into the turnbuckle and charges for turnbuckle smash, but Ota rolls out of the way, turns, and nails Caulfield with the blowgun. The ref immediately starts to signal for a DQ. Ota props the drugged Caulfield against the ropes and hits him with a [b]Ninja Strike[/b], then another. The ref runs over and attempts to drag Ota away from Caulfield. As the crowd boos, Ota grabs the ref's hand, throws him into a wristlock, and plugs him with a [b]Ninja Strike[/b]. (Emma: The Cult of the Gray Dragon has no respect for the rules! They're not even trying to win!)[/i] [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: C-[/COLOR] [CENTER][B][U][FONT="Arial Black"]#5 Shawn Gonzales vs "The Bulldozer" Brandon Smith[/FONT][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Blue"]TABLE MATCH[/COLOR][/B] [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/ShawnGonzalez.jpg[/IMG]-vs-[IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/BulldozerBrandonSmith.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Result: Double DQ due to massive and overwhelming outside interference. [i]Jack's Notes: Ah, he's still an "opener", and he's main-eventing our flagship TV show. Too much, too soon for the Bulldozer? Maybe so, but I'm not willing to wait on this guy's potential, and America needs to get used to him. Gonzales makes him sweat from the opening bell, though, using his speed and experience to stay out of Bulldozer's massive wingspan, using hit and run attacks that gradually slow the bigman down. The match is fairly one-sided for nearly eight minutes, with Gonzales spiking Dozer with a nasty Impact DDT that comes within millimeters of a pinfall. Bulldozer starts to turn it around after Gonzales tries unsuccessfully to slap a [b]Latino Crab[/b] on Dozer's massive tree-trunk legs and Dozer kicks out of it so violently that Gonzales is actually launched high into the air and lands face first on the turnbuckle. Dozer is up and limping but moving fast, creaming Gonzales with a corner avalanche and a bearhug suplex. Dozer has just set up the table when [b]Nemesis[/b] hits the ring, catching the big man in the back of the head with a big boot. In a flash, Century and Hell's Bouncer are all over Dozer, picking him up in tandem and dropping him through Shawn Gonzales and the table. The two big men pull him up, and Eddie Peak casually rolls into the ring, grabbing Dozer and nailing a [b]Peak of Perfection[/b] through the remains of the table that splits Dozer open and looks convincingly like it may have broken his neck. As main events go, it wasn't wonderful. Gonzales' portion of the match dragged a bit, and Dozer is still virtually unknown but still a juggernaut in the ring.[/i] [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: C[/COLOR] [CENTER][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/BigCatBrandon_alt.jpg[/IMG] *** [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/EddiePeak.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] [b]Big Cat Brandon[/b] charges down the ramp for the rescue, but it's too late. With maniacal casualness, Nemesis and Peak haul the limp Dozer to his feet and hurl him over the top rope for Brandon to catch. Supporting the unconscious Dozer in his arms, Big Cat Brandon stares balefully at a laughing [b]Eddie Peak[/b] to end the show. [i](Emma: That's it! He's on his own at Raising Hell next week! Big Cat Brandon is on his own!)[/i] [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: B-[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"][B][U]SHOW RATING: C-[/U][/B][/COLOR] [i]Shockingly, this disappointment was something of a success and raised our popularity... and the lack of popularity makes sense... but this has to be another blow against the DaVE purists. No Art Reed, no Acid, no Giedroyc, no ratings. On the other hand, Big Cat Brandon and Eddie Peak weren't in action either. Not a great show, but good enough. Still, I need to break the habit of letting the uppermidcarders at [b]Vendetta[/b] put on better shows than what America watches on [b]Danger Zone...[/b][/i] [QUOTE][B]SHORT FORM: [i][/B]DARK: Johnny Martin d. Dean McWade: C DARK: Black Eagle d. American Elemental: C+ Nathan Coleman d. Sammy Bach and Guide: C- #4 Eric Tyler d. Mark Cuban: C- #8 Chris Caulfield d. #10 Fumihiro Ota: C- #5 Shawn Gonzales drew with "Bulldozer" Brandon Smith: C[/i] [/QUOTE]

[CENTER][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="5"]"Handicapping The B-Show"[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER] Last night's [b][FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Sienna"]DANGERZONE TV[/COLOR][/FONT][/b] was met with a collective shrug by what fraction of America might have been paying attention. That's fine - disinterested shrugs have been DaVE's bread and butter for the last two years - but the difference all of the sudden is [b][i]Vendetta[/b][/i]. It was never supposed to be this way, but DaVE's non-broadcast, oversized "houseshow" has suddenly become the hottest ticket in hardcore wrestling, with consistently overheated ratings and A-list main events. This is a problem. Vendetta was conceptualized as a B-Show, a chance for guys who aren't getting a lot of main event push, sure, but also privately an opportunity to play around with the "young" DaVE. And the returns are in, and they ain't good for the old guys. Big Cat Brandon, Eddie Peak and Eric Tyler are capable of pushing matches into the high C+ and low B- range fairly reliably, and more when they're matched up against eachother... but the match of the night, even despite my iffy booking decisions, was a dark match - [b]American Elemental vs Black Eagle[/b], both of whom are considered "openers", yet even as total unknowns are able to draw higher ratings than Shawn Gonzales or Chris Caulfield, no matter who I put them up against. This creates something of a dilemma... Vendetta is booked with up and comers, it's the younger product. The headliners were supposed to be guys like Art Reed, Joey Minnesota, and other guys who round out the upper midcard. But I have every reason to believe that this week's main event at Vendetta - [b]Joey Minnesota, Giedroyc and Art Reed[/b] in a non-title triangle match PPV preview, will match or exceed even the best output from any of the veterans besides Eric Tyler. But these are the problems a booker likes to have - today's overheated uppermidcarders are tomorrow's superstars. All this ranting about the old DaVE and the new DaVE will solidify into an eventuality that we can all live with: The [i]best[/i] DaVE. The real problem is the tag division. Seriously. These people all suck, they all underperform, and none of them have chemistry, which I absolutely don't understand. [b]I know that the chemistry system is determined by a hidden compatibility statistic, but does it strike ANYONE else as strange that none of the most established tag teams in the world have chemistry except as a function of the caprices of the game engine?[/b] I know that Ryland said it would be impossible to re-do the chemistry system to account for people having solid real-world experience, but you're telling me that after all of these years together, a team like the McWade Bros really only has AVERAGE CHEMISTRY? Wait, was that last bit OoC? :eek: Anyhow, I may have to open this question up to the DaVE boards, and sitting down on my computer, I decided to do just that. Here's a short rundown of our existing tag teams, and a short excerpt from their company file. [quote] [CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Garamond"]SPOTLIGHT ON: THE TAG DIVISION[/FONT][/SIZE] (Only counting full-time teams, which excludes [b]Menace[/b] and [b]The Wolfpack[/b]) (In order of average position on the card) [B]1. THE NEW WAVE[/B] [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/Scout.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/Guide.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] [i][b]The New Wave[/b] is, I think, not the problem. [b]Scout[/b] and [b]Guide[/b] have both turned in some absolutely wonderful performances as individuals, and despite moderately differing styles, there's no reason they aren't capable of gelling as a team. What they lack, I think, are suitable opponents. To a certain degree, [b]The Cult of the Gray Dragon[/b] was created for this purpose, with [b]Black Eagle's[/b] aerialism and [b]Ota's[/b] matskill creating symmetrical match-ups. But the ratings aren't there. Despite my best efforts, both members of this team have actually [i]lost[/i] overness since Cuban took over. Rating: B[/i] [CENTER][B]2. ADRENALINE RUSH[/B] [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/SammyBach.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/TeddyPowell.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] [i][b]Adrenaline Rush[/b] is a pair of pretty-boy spotmonkeys with names I'd hesitate to give a three year old. The N*Sync stylization and teenage-heartthrob affectation couldn't be further from "Hardcore", but these guys aren't stuck as far on the fringe of DaVE as they were a year ago - DaVE is getting lighter and faster, and this is making Adrenaline Rush more relevant. Still, as champions they've had every chance to show me something and it just hasn't happened. Rating: C- [CENTER][B]3. THE CULT OF THE GRAY DRAGON[/B] [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/FumihiroOta.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/BlackEagle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] [b][i]The Cult of the Gray Dragon[/b][/i] hasn't put in matches, necessarily, but they've enjoyed a pretty big spike in overness, though most of it has stuck to [b]Ota[/b] and not [b]Black Eagle[/b] - in only two months, [b]Ota[/b] has spiked from the lowermidcard to the fringes of the main event. The problem with this is that he doesn't really have the skillset to main event - he's pretty one-dimensional. Solid on the mat, but lousy in the air and a non-entity in a hardcore mileau. Hell, I don't even really know why I hired him. Probably cuz he looks cool. Rating: C[/i] [CENTER][B]4. THE OLD DIRTY BASTARDS[/B] [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/JDMorgan.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/NathanColeman.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] [b][i]The ODB[/b] was my third real stab at beefing up the tag division (after [b]Shawn Gonzales[/b] and [b]Art Reed[/b] failed to click and the loss of [b]Steve Flash[/b]). It worked well enough that I've already promoted them to the title picture. Too bad they're a combined 70-odd years old. Rating: B+[/i] [CENTER][B]5. THE McWADE BROTHERS[/B] [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/DeanMcWade.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/DallasMcWade.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] [b][i]The McWades[/b] are big, tough, happy to take a barbedwire fence to the face... everything DaVE is supposed to be, right? But they can't seem to crack the C- barrier, and that means they aren't allowed on [B]Danger Zone[/B]. I remember putting them up against [b]The New Wave[/b] not too long ago with high expectations... [b]Guide[/b] is, after all, arguably the best pure brawler in all of DaVE. It was a C-, same as always. Against [b]Adrenaline Rush[/b], they're even worse. The literature describes the McWades as being one of DaVE's "big pickups" of the last few years... can millions of Canadians really be so wrong? Rating: C-[/i] [B][CENTER]6. THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS[/CENTER][/B] [CENTER][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/AlexBraun.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/TankBradley.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] [b][i]The New Jersey Devils[/b] are a sad, sad, joke on the career of [b]Alex Braun[/b]. I asked [b]Nemesis[/b] once if maybe Braun had [b]nailed Dave Vibert's wife[/b] or something... neither of us could come up with any other reason why a usually sensible GM like Vibert would put a talented, reliable uppermidcarder on a permanent tag team with a perennial loser like [b]Tank Bradley[/b], who the crowd reliably boos out of every match he's involved in. [b]Braun[/b] is only a few years of retirement, and I swear to the Gods of Wrestling that he won't go out attached to this cream-puff albatross. I've already given up on Bradley, who will, if Nemesis has his way, be the first DaVE worker fired in the post-Vibert era. Rating: D[/i] [B][CENTER]7. THE LATINO KINGS[/CENTER][/B] [CENTER][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/HectorGalindo.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/JesusChavez.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] [I]Hmmm... como se dice [b]"X-Pac Heat"[/b] en el idioma del Cornellverso? Hector? Jesus? Tienes consejo? No? How about talent? Do you ****ers have that? I'm never surprised when you're both boo'd out of the ring... I'm booing too. At least you're young and... uh... I might yet book you in the first ever "Latinos versus Two Large Adult Male Lions" first-blood cage match. Seriously. If you don't pull a "C-" soon, I WILL let [b]Eddie Peak[/b] set you both on fire. Rating: F[/I] [/quote] So it ends, the sad state of things. DaVE is blessed with a smart and involved viewing audience, and I'm not the least bit ashamed to admit that I sometimes lift entire storyline ideas directly from our bulletin boards and take all of the credit for myself. Bookers do that. So I'm going to open the question up to all the DaVE marks, snarks and... uh... sharks? Barks? Arcs? Whatever... all you DaVE people, this is for you: [b][u][SIZE="3"]IN FIFTY WORDS OR LESS, HOW THE HELL SHOULD DaVE FIX THEIR TAG DIVISION?[/SIZE][/u][/b] All ideas will be carefully considered.

[CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/Payne666/View.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] So, DaVE is so far gone that they are opening up the forum to the fans? Gee, what a great idea, let the fans in on the action. Let the fans tell you what they want. Great idea for a company [B]THAT RELIES ON IT'S FANS FOR INCOME![/B] But, enough of that, I now have an opportunity to have the powers that fail actually listen to me,and I, for one, am going to use it. So, the tag division sucks, does it? Well, that's because the tag teams suck. You are a Hardcore Federation, act like it. Look at the pluses of the fed, and use them. 1. New Wave: Scout and Guide can put on great matches, together and separately. Problem is, their weak points are rather weak, so, putting them in a match against people whose strong points are New Wave's weak points expose everyone. 2. Adrenaline Rush: They may be future of DaVE, but they are not the present. There is too much of a transitional period right now with the change of the product to have a change of the onscreen. They can do good stuff, but keep them away from the main event. Especially New Wave. Oil and water. 3. Cult of the Grey Dragon: These guys are characters, and, although Ota has gotten over, they are not what DaVE is about. They would be great in SWF, or TCW. 4. ODB: No. Just no. Again, with emphasis, no. 5. The McWade Bros: Decent brawlers, at best. They were good in the Canadian indies, but, on a grand stage, they should be relegated to jobbing to New Wave, and setting up the next generation of HARDCORE tag teams. Putting them against Adrenaline Rush just has too much diversity, and no one can play well. Don't expect great matches out of them, just let them give momentum boosts. 6. New Jersey Devils: Just a joke. Braun doesn't deserve to carry dead weight this late into his career. Braun getting a push to the Upper level would put a great emphasis on the promotion. Tank, if he isn't fired, should job. A lot. 7. The Latino Kings: Who the **** hired them in the first place? And, that's all I have to say about that. Why is the best show the untelevised B show, and Danger Zone is struggling. It is obvious that you can put on a good show, do it on TV, let people see it and get behind it! Other news: I have it confirmed that Eddie Peak will not re-sign with DaVE after Raising Hell. Apparently he doesn't feel that DaVE is going to go anywhere that will help his career. With DaVE killing hardcore wrestling, Peak may have nowhere to go, except for overseas, with MoSC, WEXXC, and maybe DDT, still having something hardcore credible. Pity, he was good. Also, Hell's Bouncer has demanded that he get risen up the card, with a Brass Knuckles title run, or he will sit out the rest of his contract. Taken from his e-mail: [QUOTE]Listen, I have busted my ass for this place, and, since that dickhead Cuban took over, I haven't seen crap from you guys. So, I am putting it here for you knuckleheads, plain and clear. I want a title run. I have heard that Peak is leaving, fine. I want the strap. If not, you can pay me for sailing and fishing in FLorida![/QUOTE] Not that I mind. Bouncer still sucks.

Dear Payne...fully long. You were WAY over 50 words. Therefore that means the Latino Kings or the Nu Joisey Devils get a push. Thanks. Stupidhead! *** How to fix the tag team scene in much less than 50 words. Tag teams out. Six man matches in (hardcore lucha rules!) and therefore the preposterous Six man Number One contendership belt of forgottenness actually serves a purpose AND in belt form. Thank you, drive through.

Job Peak to lower overness (low B-, high C+) then re-sign him. Lethal lottery tag, pit Braun vs Bradley in tag matches, have Braun turn on Bradley, fire Bradley. Set fire to Bradley perhaps. Tag = C-. Same worker in singles = C-. Not tag problem. Problem = expectation and not enough violence. Fin.

Get the titles off Sammy & Teddy. Release Tank, and make Braun relevant again. Release the two Latino Kings that everybody hates and keep the other as dark match fodder against new juniors. The New Wave hasn't been winning lately... push them or split them up, or they're doomed...

[QUOTE=Beeker;215932]Dear Payne...fully long. You were WAY over 50 words. Therefore that means the Latino Kings or the Nu Joisey Devils get a push. Thanks. Stupidhead! *** How to fix the tag team scene in much less than 50 words. Tag teams out. Six man matches in (hardcore lucha rules!) and therefore the preposterous Six man Number One contendership belt of forgottenness actually serves a purpose AND in belt form. Thank you, drive through.[/QUOTE] Shaddayaface

There are lots of really good ideas here - I like the idea of the random team tag tournament thing especially. I mean, isn't that the sort of story-arc independent stuff you really put Vendetta together to do? I mean, that's two birds in one stone right there. You should think about it - just run Vendetta as a tournament with one or two plot driven matches. And I could say a lot about some of these ideas, but mostly I just want to [b]PICK ON PAYNE![/b] (Seriously, I dig your stuff, man, but I don't agree with you about anything) :D [QUOTE=Payne;215827][CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/Payne666/View.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] 2. Adrenaline Rush: They may be future of DaVE, but they are not the present. There is too much of a transitional period right now with the change of the product to have a change of the onscreen. They can do good stuff, but keep them away from the main event. Especially New Wave. Oil and water.[/quote] Dude, I disagree. Adrenaline Rush ain't the future of anything. They're gonna end up on some reality TV show called "Tommy and Sammy". It'll be on Vh1. I agree with everyone else. Get the belts off of these two. [quote]3. Cult of the Grey Dragon: These guys are characters, and, although Ota has gotten over, they are not what DaVE is about. They would be great in SWF, or TCW.[/quote] I think Ota isn't what DaVE is about. Black Eagle f***ing rules, and he matches up great with Guide OR Adrenaline Rush OR Acid OR American Elemental, and I think he'd pull good ratings gainst Giedroyc or Art Reed or even Shawn Gonzales. You've just gotta push him and get him up the card, and if Ota is over and it's rubbing off, I think you're handling him just the right way. I want to see you team him with Acid eventually. THAT is a team I would mark out for - [b]TEAM SCARY EYE MAKEUP[/b]! [quote]4. ODB: No. Just no. Again, with emphasis, no.[/quote] Dude, this team is actually hardcore! How could PAYNE hate this team? They're brawling veterans! Keep your gimmick consistent, dude! Yeah, this team is good, but neither of these guys are ever gonna make it out of the midcard. You have too many heel brawling teams when your main face team is comprised of aerialists. I agree with what everyone else has said about Braun. You should build another face team around him but make it actually... you know... GOOD. Anyhow, here's my answer for you, even though I'm way over the word limit. REAL SIMPLE: You need a face team with strong brawling and good fundamentals, but no one so over that they should be maineventing. Here's my answer: [b]BULLDOZER BRANDON SMITH[/b]. Seriously. You could team him with Emma Chase and he'd dominate the tag division. I know you have him set up with Big Cat Brandon, and even though that team would f-ing RULE, I think that would be sort of a demotion for Big Cat. But that's my advice, dude. The Dozer. Think about how well a team of... say... Alex Braun and Bulldozer would match up against the McWades or The New Wave? Oh man, instant ratings. DO IT. And bring in Jim Force. That idea was money.

[CENTER][B][SIZE="5"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]"The Blogosphere"[/FONT][/B][/CENTER][/SIZE] Screaming obscenities, Mark Cuban threw his coffee mug at my head. Even as I ducked and covered, this struck me as a significant moment - Vibert had never thrown a mug at me or anyone else. He'd just sit behind the desk and give you that smile, no matter how angry he was. He might put some more gel in his hair. But the job, clearly, was starting to get to Cuban. It couldn't have helped much that the Mavericks had lost in Phoenix the night before after the Suns shot a staggering and borderline record-setting 65% from the field. But the problem wasn't the Mavericks. It wasn't Nemesis. It wasn't even my booking. His face twisted with undersized, nerdy anger, Cuban kept ranting, spit flying out of his mouth. Cuban: He's just a ****ing [b]blogger[/b]. Hell, I'm a blogger too. But who the hell does [b]Payne[/b] think he is? Thanks to that dickhead, the whole internet thinks [b]Eddie Peak[/b] is about to leave! (I stared at my feet, shrugged) Me: It [i]is[/i] just the internet, Mark. I mean, the internet is full of false information. No one takes it seriously. (Mark's eyes almost erupt from his head as I say this) Mark: Are you an idiot, Jack? The internet is THE most important thing in the whole world! If you're not somebody on the internet, you're nobody! The internet can destroy nations, lay waste to entire civilizations with a mere thought! DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE INTERNET! (I chose to say nothing as Mark sputtered out a bit) Mark: (more calmly) I'll have my lawyers deal with Payne as best I can, Jack... there's nothing you can do about that - it isn't your area and I don't hold you responsible. However, someone is feeding him information. I mean, it's altogether possible that Peak IS leaving, and if guys like Payne keep leaking this ***, we won't have any way to spin it on camera. I expect you to come back to me with an explanation of who it is that is keeping him informed. Immediately. And from here on out, no one talks to the press without my permission. The press includes ****ing bloggers. (Swearing under my breath, I nod) [i]From [url]www.dave.com[/url]...[/i] [QUOTE] [CENTER][I][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="2"]Week 4, March, 2007, live for a crowd of 1,300 at Perry Hall (Great Lakes)[/SIZE][/FONT][/I] [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/Danger1.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] [i](attendance is 900 below expectations. this happened the last time we came here too - Midwesterners are so cheap...[/i] [CENTER][B][U][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]DARK MATCH: Mark Cuban and Cammy Vessey vs The McWade Brothers[/FONT][/U][/B][/CENTER] Result: Dean McWade d. Cammy Vessey by pinfall. [i]Jack's Notes: Cameron Vessey, welcome to the first day of the rest of your life. Now thoroughly saddled with his new gimmick as Cuban's intern, Vessey comes to wrestle in a pair of too-short khakis and a button down shirt rimmed with coffee stains. Cuban does a lot of dancing around at the start of the match, but tags out after one punch to the face and refuses to enter after that. A mostly comedy-driven match with a reluctant Vessey and cowardly Cuban.[/i] [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: D-[/COLOR] [CENTER][B][U][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]DARK MATCH: Travis Century vs Kashmir Singh[/FONT][/U][/B][/CENTER] Result: Travis Century d. Kashmir Singh by pinfall. [i]Jack's Notes: Well, I sent you out a winner. Travis Century completes his 9-months-and-out tenure with DaVE. We wish him well and all that. And he leaves us exactly the way he came in... matches solidly stuck in the "D-range". Thanks for nothing, baldy.[/i] [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: D[/COLOR] [CENTER][B][u]MAIN SHOW[/B][/u] [B][U][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]The Wolfpack (Vin Tanner and #4 Shawn Gonzales) vs The New Jersey Devils[/FONT][/U][/B][/CENTER] Result: The Wolfpack d. The New Jersey Devils by pinfall. [i]Jack's Notes: Tank Bradley has transitioned fully into his nerdy, unwashed, borderline potbellied "World of Warcraft" loving character (who he refers to as Valtrex). For this match, he actually BRINGS THE LAPTOP TO THE MATCH, sitting on the turnbuckle and clicking away while Alex desperately tries to fight off both Gonzales and Tanner, who seem to feel a little sorry for him and are clearly holding back a bit. In the crucial moment, Braun tags Bradley, who refuses to stop playing. Braun tries to bat the laptop out of his hands and Bradley clocks him with it, splitting him open, and then leaves the apron. This knocks Braun out, more or less, and a clearly sympathetic Vin Tanner gently covers him for the pin before teaming with Gonzales to help him out of the ring while the crowd screams for Tank Bradley's blood... and that's the end of [b]The New Jersey Devils[/b]. I should've turned him heel a long time ago.[/i] [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: D[/COLOR] Backstage, Nemesis and Eddie Peak give their last interview before the PPV and the big match against Big Cat Brandon. Nemesis gives his usual "Dark cloud rising over DaVE" - "I'll take the sun out of your sky" sort of speech before Peak hits the mic. Eddie: Big Cat Brandon, at Day In Hell, I will show you that there are scarier things in the darker than cats. I will be the fin that slices through the black water. I will be the gnashing teeth, the red gums. I will be the squirtgun that chases you off of the counter. I will be the unchecked litterbox, the rolled-up newspaper, the voice from the shadows that says "NO KITTY! YOU'RE A BAD BAD KITTY!" (Eddie sits back, smiling and clearly pleased with himself. Nemesis shakes his head.) [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: B-[/COLOR] [CENTER][B][U][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]#2 Big Cat Brandon vs Hell's Bouncer[/FONT][/U][/B] [COLOR="Blue"]HARDCORE MATCH[/COLOR][/CENTER] Result: Big Cat Brandon d. Hell's Bouncer by pinfall following a [b]Big Cat Pounce[/b]. [i]Jack's Notes: Hell's Bouncer always brings it against Big Cat Brandon. Sure, he can only last for a 8 minutes, but he and Brandon, without any particular chemistry, manage to put on an impressive show every time - probably because both men are so strong. There aren't many people who can hit a fall-away slam on a guy as large as Big Cat Brandon, but Hell's Bouncer does it here, though he falls to a [b]Big Cat Pounce[/b] almost immediately after as he spends too much time posturing, having inherited the "I am communing directly with my Dark Lord when I should be attempting a pin" strategy of the now departed [b]Travis Century[/b]. Anyhow, Brandon looks great in this one and Hell's Bouncer manages to look strong and dangerous in addition to slow and sweaty. Nemesis and Peak hit the ring as soon as the ref counts three and lay into BCB.[/i] [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: C [/COLOR] As Eddie and Nemesis take turns bashing away at Brandon with steel chairs and the crowd lets loose their approving disapproval on the ever-popular Eddie Peak, Emma wonders out loud whether Brandon is capable of surviving without the still injured and conspicuously absent [b]Bulldozer Brandon Smith[/b] to back him up. (for those of you who don't remember or can't tolerate waiting more than a week to find out what happens next in a TEW diary - Dozer was effectively dismantled by Menace in the main event of last week's DANGERZONE. [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: B-[/COLOR] [CENTER][B][U][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]The School of Tradition (Scout, Guide, #4 Eric Tyler) vs The Cult of the Gray Dragon (#9 Fumihiro Ota, Black Eagle, #3 Acid)[/FONT][/U][/B][/CENTER] Result: The School of Tradition d. The Cult of the Gray Dragon when Eric Tyler pins Fumihiro Ota following a [b]Weight of Tradition[/b]. [i]Jack's Notes: Anemic match. I don't know why these two teams don't match up better... I know there are some underlying chemistry issues... Scout and Acid, unfortunately, don't click. But I think the problem is Ota. The crowd loves Ota... he looks cool, he packs a blowgun, he has a neat fighting style that channels the best sort of pulp "Half a Loaf of Kung-Fu" throws and spinkicks - but his timing isn't great, and he doesn't really sell that well, and so the guy he's up against never looks that good. Sparks flew between Tyler and Acid, with Tyler getting the better of a straight-up back-n-forth brawl between the two in the second half of the match only being broken up by a Black Eagle blindtag and missile dropkick that kept Tyler on the defensive. The end, at least, drew some authentic pop from the audience, as Tyler continued to wear away on Ota, who went for the blowgun only to have it taken away and snapped in half by Tyler, who followed up with [b]The Weight of Tradition[/b] while Guide and Scout held the line against Acid. A rare loss for the Cult of the Gray Dragon headed into the PPV, but a somewhat disappointing match regardless. Acid looked very good out there. He almost always does.[/i] [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: C-[/COLOR] Jack "The Wrath of God" Giedroyc hits the ring and the crowd goes nuts. Among our actual, legitimate "faces", Giedroyc is easily the most popular and he has the crowd eating out his hand before he opens his mouth. Giedroyc: Joey Minnesota, for the last weeks you have haunted my footsteps like a particularly ill-tempered ghost. You have harassed me, addled me, and interfered with my good works. With HIS good works. So I asked Him for a favor, and he granted it. You see, Joey Minnesota, I have used my Divine Permissions to [b]annex the whole of Minnesota[/b]. (crowd is confused) Giedroyc: That's right. The state of Minnesota has been abolished and replaced by The Divine Kingdom of [b]Roycasota[/b]! The capital will be [b]Roycasotus Rex![/b] Because the new capital will not be a capital at all, but a giant robot! Shaped like a dinosaur! We will march on Wisconsin, but first I will march on you! Come out here and give me a taste! Joey hits the ramp but is only halfway down before Art Reed comes out behind him - these three are due to collide at the PPV, and it looks like it's time for a preview! [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: B- [/COLOR] [CENTER][B][U][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]#6 Jack Giedroyc vs #9 Art Reed vs #7 Joey Minnesota[/FONT][/U][/B] [COLOR="Blue"]NON TITLE MATCH[/COLOR][/CENTER] Result: Joey Minnesota wins by defeating Art Reed by pinfall. [i]Jack's Notes: So I figure - one low-level main eventer in Giedroyc (above Caulfield but below guys like Acid, Tyler, Peak and Brandon), one high level uppermidcarder in Joey Minnesota and one reliable all-around worker in Art Reed... no gimmicks, just the three of them in the ring in a non-title match. No way that could be better than the stuff on [b]DANGERZONE TV[/b], right? No chance of this being yet ANOTHER instance of the B-Show being better than the flagship show, right? Well, we're headed into the PPV. Coming into the month, the Tyler/Acid story-arc was easily the hottest. By the middle, everyone was coming to see Peak/Nemesis vs Brandon/Brandon. Now, all of the sudden, the best matches and biggest pops are all centered around [b]Jack Giedroyc[/b], who has Ota's knack for getting himself over in a hurry but actually puts on good matches. And who woulda thought this "Wrath of God" gimmick would stick? But this match was wonderful. Quick, varied, technical, smooth as silk. These are three workers who are only just coming into their prime, and watching them work off of eachother turns wrestling into art. Minnesota played the part of the strategist, letting Giedroyc and Reed wear themselves out on eachother and attacking opportunistically, which led to a short-lived alliance between Giedroyc and Reed culminating with a double superplex off of the top rope that would've ended the thing had Reed and Giedroyc not immediately resumed beating on eachother. In the end, Reed ducks a Minnesota superkick and nails him with a standing dropkick that sends Minnesota over the top. Reed turns, catches a boot in the stomach, and gets creamed with a [b]Crashing On[/b]. He goes for the pin, but only makes it to the twocount before Minnesota recovers and hits a legdrop lariat from the apron. Giedroyc rolls off, clutching his throat, and Minnesota steals the pinfall on Reed for the win, rolling under the ropes and retreating before Giedroyc can recover and retaliate. A great match.[/i] [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: B[/COLOR] [B][FONT="Arial Black"]Show Rating: C+[/FONT][/B] [/quote] [i]Next up: PPV Preview/Predictions page! How's that for alliteration![/i]

[quote]Eddie: Big Cat Brandon, at Day In Hell, I will show you that there are scarier things in the darker than cats. I will be the fin that slices through the black water. I will be the gnashing teeth, the red gums. I will be the squirtgun that chases you off of the counter. I will be the unchecked litterbox, the rolled-up newspaper, the voice from the shadows that says "NO KITTY! YOU'RE A BAD BAD KITTY!"[/quote] Oh god, that hurt. I spit my water I was laughing so hard. Good to see you posting again.

[CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/Payne666/View.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] First of all, I am curious as to why we had an untelevised Danger Zone TV to replace Vendetta. Other than that, a good show this week. BCB actually managed to pull a good match out of Hell's Bouncer, in what should have been the Main Event. And, real nice of Jack to put the PPV match on beforehand. There goes any chance of shocking the fans. Way to go. Eddie Peak is his usual greatness, although why he is forced to do this stuff at the house shows, as opposed to TV is beyond me. I think someone should tell Jack that the good shows are supposed to be televised, so a larger audience can see them, and actually give a crap about your promotion. Apparently, I pissed a couple of people off with my reporting. Oh well. Century is finally gone, and no one will miss him, but the PPV is coming, and there goes Eddie. Come on, with the crap going on, I am sure he could get more exposure in MoSC, or WEXXV. I am glad to see the end of the New Jersey Devils. Now maybe we will see the Alex Braun that should have been, and he will beat the crap out of.....VOLTREX???? Come on! How Hardcore is a computer geek playing WoW????

• 3 weeks later...
[quote=theoutlaw321;225468]WTF? We honor you by putting you in the first class of the HOF and now you think you're too good too write for us anymore. Freakin' prima donnas.[/quote] It's a shame this one has just shrivelled up and died. But perhaps Monkeypox just does not have the time to update it anymore. I remember the first dynasty [I](I agree with J Silver from the stickied USPW - it just sounds better than diary)[/I] I was really into on these boards was Bri-fidelity's NYCW diary for TEW 2005....but then his dynasty suddenly died out and that he's not been seen on these boards again....I'm guessing factors in his personal life have meant he can no longer contribute a dynasty. Maybe the same thing has happened with Monkeypox. There will possibly come that time in my life, when I'm no longer able to keep up to date with my own dynasty, and the same could go for everyone who contributes dynasties on these boards...... then again....... He might just be really lazy and can no longer be that bothered.

[QUOTE=Jehovah;225498]It's way premature to declare this dead. Everyone takes breaks to recharge, myself included, and Pox'll be back I'm sure.[/QUOTE] I agree that its too early to say its dead. If a thread has gone more than a month without any updates from the author then I start to put that "dead" label on the thread. Again he may be just recharging or doing other important things before getting back to this. I don't know how many times I put off things like school work to do this....wait I have a paper due tomorrow.

Sorry for the absence. Life got complicated - I broke up with a longstanding girlfriend, things didn't seem too TEW appropriate. But I don't want to stay gone. Somebody help me out with something, because this has really slowed me down lately: If you wanna move your license from one computer to another, how the hell do you do it? If I could get TEW on the new laptop, I'd probably start playing again. Most of all, thanks for being sort of ****ed off that I disappeared. I'm sorry that I bailed for awhile (and yes, I was recharging) but I'm glad y'all noticed. And no, I don't wanna go out like BriFidelity. But yeah, I'm about ready to call it a comeback.

Archived