Sometimes promotion AI fails...

Not sure if this goes here or in tech support, but since it's not a CPU malfunction, I'll post it here. It appears that sometimes the computer AI fails badly for some reason. I added a couple promotions to the CornellVerse and ran several years auto-clicking to see what would happen. One of these promotions is a National promotion with two television shows. Now I checked the ratings and all that; this promotion got promotion of the year three years in a row, has highly rated matches consistently, and is very profitable. Thing is, after the two shows ran their courses, for whatever reason, the computer AI ignored it. Even now at International, the computer hasn't even tried to get back on the air. Oh, and this happened back in 2007 by the way. It has had nothing but good results, yet the AI doesn't try to get a television show, and lost the two it already had. International, good ratings, and even led over SWF and TCW while it was on the air. Anyway, yeah, I'd say that's a hefty bit of a bug.

Could it be a case of a saturated market? There's only so much wrestling that can air in primetime at once, as there are only so many wrestling fans. What about the industry? If it's in the toilet, then networks wouldn't take a chance on airing a new show even if it's for a popular promotion.

[QUOTE=Anubis;176682]Even now at International, the computer hasn't even tried to get back on the air. [/QUOTE] Does sound like it might be a bug (or dodgy data), but not quite sure where you've got the evidence for the above statement. The AI may be constantly getting rejected for some reason. Who knows? Maybe there's only one network it'll aproach, but it has a rival using them already. Only the big man'll know.

[QUOTE=Jehovah;176687]Could it be a case of a saturated market? There's only so much wrestling that can air in primetime at once, as there are only so many wrestling fans. What about the industry? If it's in the toilet, then networks wouldn't take a chance on airing a new show even if it's for a popular promotion.[/QUOTE] Sounds very plausible. In my last game I couldn't get my National promotion on any TV station since it was either too small, or the networks that broadcast in US and Canada would refuse because Canada's wrestling market was in the pan. But what about America?! And why is the rum gone?!

Believe me, the data is fine, I merely added the promotion and workers to the CornellVerse. The only other data I put in was a bunch of new TV networks and PPV carriers. There are 230 TV networks and 50 PPV carriers at this point, so there is definitely no lack of them to approach, making competition for a TV network a non-issue. Thing is, one would think the AI would have renewed the previous deals, given it was doing so well. I can't check where the Industry [i]was[/i] over that time, although it's low [i]now[/i]. Still, I find it curious (and probably in need of tweaking) that TV networks wouldn't take a chance on a wildly popular promotion just because of Industry. Doesn't quite fit with reality, you know? If reality worked that way, WWE would be off the air and TNA wouldn't have gotten a deal in the first place as the Industry in reality right now would be considered pretty dang low. Oh, and did I mention that SWF and TCW both have their shows still? So that can't be it. The promotion in question was running evenly with SWF and TCW until the shows went off the air, and even then, it managed to maintain International size with only one show a month. So given that other promotions have stayed on the air and gotten on the air, I see no way for the promotion to not be on the air, given its popularity and size and prestige. EDIT: Does Mainstream have to be a Key Feature or Heavy something? I just noticed DAVE has gone Global and yet it has no television show either. The only things I can see are that both TCW and SWF have Heavy and Key Feature Mainstream respectively, while neither DAVE nor the promotion in question have it. Here are the details of the promotion I'm following: Key Features: Modern and Realism Heavy: Cult and Hardcore Medium: Risque and Daredevil Still, I would think if such a promotion got popular enough, they could at least get on a Sports Specific or Risky/Cult TV network, which there are enough of . . . EDIT 2: Nope, that can't be it, as both INSPIRE and MHW have gotten television shows, as has PGHW . . .

[QUOTE=NickC13573;176885]ROH, I believe. Fox Sports Net and TNA, I also Believe[/QUOTE] ROH doesn't want a television deal, and TNA never got good ratings on FSN (or even now). The game just needs the AI tweaked a bit. If a show is successful, networks will keep it. There are very few examples to the contrary. This is basically like if WWE was getting 10.0 in ratings on USA and got cancelled. Doesn't happen. It's silly. I understand making a game challenging, but this would make the game [i]impossible[/i] without picking the same promotion style over and over again. I think if someone wants to be able to take an ECW style of promotion and work it up to WWE's level, that should be possible through good booking and good financial sense (i.e. playing the game right). Instead, the game basically blocks [i]everything[/i] but mainstream stuff, and that kinda takes some of the fun out of the game. Hence why it needs tweaking. Right now it's impossible to do this when it should just be slightly more difficult. Popular is popular, and the networks and sponsors almost always go with what's popular as that's what makes them money, and money is the [i]only[/i] thing networks care about. Even then, why won't Risky/Cult or Sports Specific networks touch it either? Makes no sense. Right now the only promotion styles able to do well are WWE and WCW clones, which is annoying to say the least.

Update I created a small database where I could test this with constants. The promotion in question is the only one, and I have all the TV networks and PPV carriers to pick from. Anyway, I kept everything the same except I made the Industry and Economy as high as possible from the start and raised the promotion's popularity and prestige to 100 everywhere. The result: not even one TV network, regardless of size or type, was willing to give me a television show. The rejection is always the same: "they do not feel your promotion style fits with their network identity." Mainstream, Risky/Cult, and Sports Specific all rejected it. So yeah, that pretty much confirms it's a bug. If it's [i]intended[/i] to be like that, it sorely needs to get changed, because it makes taking a promotion Global impossible unless it's a WWE clone.

That's strange since my promotion (that I asked for help about in another thread) has Heavy Hardcore, Daredevil, and Risque, yet got a TV deal. A very big network that reached all of the US, Canada, and Mexico. Of course, the only time I could get my show shown was at midnight. But it makes sense to me that only the WWE/WCW styled promotions could get TV shows (at least in the US), because those are the only type of promotions that have really ever succeeded on TV, and if you -really- wanna be picky about it, then one could say WWE/WWF is the only promotion to succeed on TV (it's too early to call TNA a failure or success on TV). Though, who knows, it may be a bug :/

[QUOTE=NickC13573;177021]TNA is Getting GREAT ratings, compared to FSN days. they have 4X the fan base.[/QUOTE] Precisely. As for the "realism", I think I would rather have it unrealistic in this case. After all, isn't it one of the fun thigns to do in this game? Take a "different" promotion from Local to Global and make it as successful as something like WWE? If this is intentional, I hope it is changed. After all, this actually kinda blocks the playing of certain promotion types completely. Especially with the increased difficulty, it's tough to get far without being on television. EDIT: Just saw the new patch. Guess it's time to test it out! This is a bit different actually being involved in the early staged of the game. EDIT 2: Excellent! It appears the issue has been resolved. Now while Mainstream (rightfully) rejects hte promotion, Sports Specific and Risky/Cult TV networks have no issue with the product! I wish the mainstream game designers cared about their products as much as Mr. Ryland does! Awesome.

[QUOTE=Jehovah;176687]Could it be a case of a saturated market? There's only so much wrestling that can air in primetime at once, as there are only so many wrestling fans. What about the industry? If it's in the toilet, then networks wouldn't take a chance on airing a new show even if it's for a popular promotion.[/QUOTE] That doesn't seem to make sense, either. If the promotion is beating TCW and SWF, you might think they could at LEAST get a deal on cable access or A&E :p

Archived