Holy crap. I need help.

Alright, so here's the thing. I am currently running my DOTT converted game. I'm playing as the AWA, and I am having a ton of problems. First off I do not quite understand the product part yet. No matter how many times I change things or alter it in some way it does nothing to help me. Angle's especially are killing my shows. I started the game as 'National' with $1,000,000. Signed a bunch of hot talent and I still cannot put on a show rated above a D-. Not only that but I lost a little over $600,000 in my first 4 months. Here is my product: [IMG]http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/5394/tewproductqt0.jpg[/IMG] My second major issue is with the contracts. I have a few guys signed to written deals, which I was able to do while I was still at National (I have since fallen to Cult). My World Champion is Roddy Piper who is signed to a written deal, but since I have fallen to cult he keeps missing my shows with no explanation. Is he doing this on purpose? Or is it just bad luck on my part? I also have Randy Savage who is my TV champion and having a great run with it. He's signed to Exclusive P.P.A, now he's saying that my company isn't big enough for him anymore and wants out. Can he leave or go work somewhere else while he is on an Exclusive P.P.A contract? Also, for the angles. Should I be looking to book angles based more so on entertainment? Or overness? Tag Teams are also causing me gray hairs. I have teams like the Road Warriors, Hart Foundation, Rockers, The Brain Busters and Demolition to name a few. And I have yet to put on a tag team match over an E+. Does tag team wrestling just suck in this game? Or am I screwing something up? Thank's for any and all help. This game is kicking my a**.

I can't see any obvious problems with your product so it all comes down to your workers and your booking really. But first...... when you've run a show, what messages are you getting in the show comments? If you get messages with things like "too intense for some" "not enough dangerous spots" "not enough angles/interviews" "too many angles/interviews" "not enough storylines" then your overall grade is going to be lower than you would hope for. As for booking angles... book to your worker's strengths. If you've got over workers, then use angles that use overness. If you got entertain people then book according to that. Just remember that overness is always a factor, including in match results, so hiring people who are over in the areas you are running shows should give you higher ratings for any segments. And remember.... a good main event can make an average show feel like a good one. As long as the fans go home happy they can forget about the bad bits and remember the ending. So always have a good match saved for last, it can really save you. Derek B <--- worst guide maker ever

I can't see anything technically wrong with your product, although not having a strong heel/face divide and having no realism in an 80's traditional promotion is clearly a criminal offense :p This might seem a silly question, but have you checked the data? Maybe the reason the matches are sucking so much, is because the wrestlers stats suck. [quote]My World Champion is Roddy Piper who is signed to a written deal, but since I have fallen to cult he keeps missing my shows with no explanation. Is he doing this on purpose? Or is it just bad luck on my part?[/quote] Does he have drink problems (in the game)? or is he a Free Spirit, personality wise? They can cause people to miss shows. Either that or he's really, really unhappy (talk to him using the Talk To Worker screen, and see if he moans about anything specific). It shouldn't be anything to do with being on a written contract as a Cult promotion, because no DAVE guys have that problem in the Cornellverse. As for Savage, if a company make an offer to him and he accepts it, he'll leave your promotion. But he will rarely accept offers from smaller promotions while on an exclusive PPA deal, so in DOTT as a Cult fed you're probably quite safe.

[QUOTE]I can't see any obvious problems with your product so it all comes down to your workers and your booking really. But first...... when you've run a show, what messages are you getting in the show comments? If you get messages with things like "too intense for some" "not enough dangerous spots" "not enough angles/interviews" "too many angles/interviews" "not enough storylines" then your overall grade is going to be lower than you would hope for.[/QUOTE] I have gotten something along the lines of "The intense physicality of the matches was too much for some" but that doesn't happen all the time. I do however get "there were not enough angles/interviews breaking up the wrestling" which I find very odd because my main booking style is match, angle, match, angle etc. Thanks for the help Derek! [QUOTE]I can't see anything technically wrong with your product, although not having a strong heel/face divide and having no realism in an 80's traditional promotion is clearly a criminal offense[/QUOTE] Good tips! I will change it to a strong heel/face divide. And up my realism. [QUOTE]This might seem a silly question, but have you checked the data? Maybe the reason the matches are sucking so much, is because the wrestlers stats suck.[/QUOTE] Yeah I spent some time editing the workers and what not before I started my game. It's not really the matches that I am having a problem with. My matches usually fall somewhere between C- and B+. Except for any tag team matches. They just all suck. After checking it out Piper does have drinking and drug problems. Maybe he's not the right guy to carry my promotion. Also my match ratio is 30% what exactly does that mean? 30% of my shows should be angles? Or 30% of my shows should be matches?

[QUOTE=Rocland;177247]Also my match ratio is 30% what exactly does that mean? 30% of my shows should be angles? Or 30% of my shows should be matches?[/QUOTE] 30% Match Ratio means 30% should be matches, and it's based on time, not number of segments. So Angle, Match, Angle, etc doesn't always work. 30% is rather low for a traditional fed, I'd think. I wasn't around in the 80's so I don't know how the shows worked back then (well, I was, but I was in no situation to watch wrestling at the time ¬_¬), but I have seen the occasional WCW Worldwide or whatever it was called, from 1992 if that's anything to go by ¬_¬ 30% matches in a 2-hour show = something like 1hr 20mins of angles vs 40mins of wrestling. But you probably knew that anyway if you intended it to be the other way around ¬_¬ So yeah, you want 70% The intense physicality thing means that your Match Intensity is too high for your Mainstream fans to cope with, so you might want to turn it down slightly if it's happening often.

[QUOTE=Rocland;177247]Also my match ratio is 30% what exactly does that mean? 30% of my shows should be angles? Or 30% of my shows should be matches?[/QUOTE] I hate to conjure the spirit of FINisher here but..... [QUOTE=TEW07 Help file]Match Ratio This is an indication of what percentage of shows should be matches, as opposed to angles.[/QUOTE] Your product is essentially hosed for what your fans expect. Think of what the AWA of that period was like. I would raise the match ratio to 80% (no lower unless you want to be required to run storylines all the time), Match Intensity to 40%, Realism to Medium (so you can have cheap/tainted finishes and run-ins without the crowd revolting or complaining), with everything else the same. You MIGHT have to raise the match danger a bit but I doubt it. Once you figure out what each section means, it'll be easier to move forward. But just give it some thought. Could you really see a Pure fed with powder puff intensity? A Daredevil fed with little danger? Think about what your intended audience wants to see. If they're paying their money to see angles and stories told outside the ring, tailor your product to that. If they want to see sweaty men (or women) beat the holy hell out of each other, that's what you make your product out to give them. Intensity is essentially stiffness. If your workers are more Low-Ki/Senshi than Hulk Hogan, raise it. The one thing to keep in mind is to watch your workers' stats. If you have high danger, you NEED workers with either high Safety or high Resilience (in lieu of Safety), preferably both or you're going to need a healthy, well-stocked Rolodex.

[QUOTE]Just a note about face/heel divide because watching the AWA DVD is still fresh in my mind - it has to be strong because Verne wouldn't even allow faces & heels to stay in the same hotel. If they did, they would allegedly be fined or fired.[/QUOTE] Yeah I just picked up that DVD as well, which is why I wanted to start a game as the AWA. Well I took the advice I have recieved from you guys and my end result was this: [IMG]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q298/Rocland_2007/TEWSHOW.jpg[/IMG] I changed my match ratio to 60%, it's still causing problems. Although this is the first time I have ever recieved anything higher than a D-. EDIT: just noticed Remi's post about making the match ratio 80% I will give that a try. I thought it might be too high, but I will see if that helps. It is also the first time this has happened: [IMG]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q298/Rocland_2007/TEWINTERNET.jpg[/IMG]

How long was your show? With a 60% match ratio, 40% of your show's time must be angles. It doesn't matter how you arrange them (you could open the show with all angles and it wouldn't matter), what matters is the amount of time you devote to angles. You have leeway upward but not downward. Meaning, with a 60% match ratio, you could run 42% of your show as angles (58% matches) but woe be unto you if you run 39%. Like I said, with AWA, I'd go 80%. 60% is more like modern day WWE than AWA of that period.

My show is 2 hours. A 60/40 ratio might be a little out of wack for the AWA in 1983, I'm going to change my ratio to 80% and put on a show to see if that helps. Thanks for the tip about the leeway upward and not downward. I would never have figured that out. It's good to know though. So it's not the style of booking (angle, match, angle, match) that makes a difference. It's the amount of time devoted to each. What style do you book your shows in? If you even have a style.

[QUOTE=Rocland;177291]So it's not the style of booking (angle, match, angle, match) that makes a difference. It's the amount of time devoted to each. What style do you book your shows in? If you even have a style.[/QUOTE] [quote=Me, earlier in this very thread]30% Match Ratio means 30% should be matches, and it's based on time, not number of segments. So Angle, Match, Angle, etc doesn't always work.[/quote] :rolleyes: The way I book my shows, is basically: First of all, write down how much time you need to devote to angles. Or just remember it. Second, book Storylines first. If I'm running a fed that even has them, I'll book all the segments I need for my storylines on this show first. Then make up any remaining "angle time" with filler angles, or start a new storyline if there's a lot of spare angle time. Now fill the rest of the show with matches. If you're booking a sports entertainment promotion, there shouldn't be a lot of filler, because you should have a lot of storylines to take up the time. However, with AWA you'll probably find yourself with a chunk of spare time. Then rearrange the show into a proper show instead of randomly booked events (but make sure you don't move storyline segments out of continuity. If Angle A needs to happen before Match B in the storyline, make sure it happens that way around in the show). Then throw any 'leftover' workers (using the Analysis button to find them) into Dark Matches to keep them happy.

[QUOTE=Rocland;177291]So it's not the style of booking (angle, match, angle, match) that makes a difference. It's the amount of time devoted to each. What style do you book your shows in? If you even have a style.[/QUOTE] Similar to that, really. I've been playing 5SSW a lot and their product is awesome. 90% match ratio, Traditional & Modern as Key Features, Heavy Mainstream and Realism, Medium Lucha, Strong Face/Heel divide, 40% Intensity, and 60% danger, no T&A. I can use any type of worker except Spot Monkey and maybe MMA Crossover, without the audience complaining. The only "problem" I run into is the fact that the audience doesn't like angles, even though I have to run them. Easiest solution I found is to only use my most over workers in angles and I get "There are no specific comments to be made about this segment" instead of the "the audience came to see wrestling". EDIT: I book differently than D-Lyrium. I book matches first, since they're my primary focus. Then I book angles to fill in space between matches. I usually use hype angles and space them such that 2-3 segments before a match, the workers in that match hype it. I don't run very many storylines (cuz I don't hafta :p) and the ones I do run are unchained so continuity is of no real concern to me.

Well I changed my match ratio to 80%. And I lowered my match intensity to 40% from 45%. I put on a B rated show and the only note I got with it was "This show can be considered a success, it should have increased our popularity". I think I got a hold on it now. Thanks for all the advice gentlemen.

You can almost tell who the TEW perfectionists are just by reading through this post :) I'm just glad I can help, took me ages to get my product right in my game. Ended up totally different from what I start with but accomplishing exactly what I wanted. I musta booked 30 shows before I nailed it tho........ Derek B

when i make an update i just use the same stats for promotions as the cornelverse i.e. wwe = swf ecw = dave ...etc if i was making awa like rocland is i would use the stats similair to a traditional fed i.e. tcw the match ratio is 90%.... this game is designed for the cornelverse so real life feds should reflect this for the game to run properlly.....

[QUOTE=Remianen;177307]EDIT: I book differently than D-Lyrium. I book matches first, since they're my primary focus. Then I book angles to fill in space between matches. I usually use hype angles and space them such that 2-3 segments before a match, the workers in that match hype it. I don't run very many storylines (cuz I don't hafta :p) and the ones I do run are unchained so continuity is of no real concern to me.[/QUOTE] And I kind of book a mix of the two. I actually try to book the matches about 2 months ahead. So when May 1 comes around, I have at least some matches for both my May and my June show advance booked. (I'm running one show a month currently) But I always check my storylines first to see what will need to happen next, when do I want to have matches involving the storyline, and will those matches be given hype angles before. So usually about 2 months before a show I have a plan that looks like 1. storyline based angle x x x 4. midcard prebooked match 5. hype for main event 6. storyline based match 7. storyline.hype angle 8. prebooked main event Of course as I get closer I might change these around. Usually I will add 1-2matches and then make sure I have enough angle time to please the audience in the week before the event. And I'll add storylines at this time if I feel its time for a new one, or to push a new feud. I have my match ratio set at 70% and find that I need 3 storylines going to keep the fans happy, although recently I've had as many as 5 active ones. (2 close to ending, 1 on the middle, 1 about 3 weeks in, and one just starting.) With trying to run a heavy traditional promotion, you should be thinking a few shows ahead, especially since you will want to prebook and then use hype angles to build the excitement for your big matches.

Archived