BLATANT breach of contract!

I signed Wanda Fish and Pat Deacon to written contracts. 4 and 2 days later, respectively, I was notified they would be leaving for another job. Where are the lawyers in this game? that is a BLATANT breach of contract. I got past the thing where workers don't want to work in the role they signed their contracts for, but that breach is just EVIL! If this was fixed in either of the patches, please continue ignoring me. :D

If those other jobs are "head booker", it's probably the written contracts that screwed you over. I'm about 75% certain that head bookers can't have written contracts with other promotions, although they [i]can[/i] have PPA contracts as long as the head booker contract isn't written. I think it has something to do with the head booker job taking priority over any other job. As for breach of contract, well, nothing we can do about that.

It's not a breach of contract. Let's say you sign on to be project manager for someone. Then, 2 or 4 days later, Hewlett-Packard (or Johnson Wax or Cisco or whoever) offers you their CEO position. Do you turn it down because you just signed on to be a PROJECT MANAGER?!? The head booker is essentially the CEO of a wrestling promotion (or the COO, at worst). They're not the top boss (that's the Chairman) but they're pretty damn close to it. No one's going to turn down a CEO position to be a peon in another company. You wouldn't do it so why should your workers? In game terms, the response you'll get from a worker you try to lock up to an exclusive deal when they're already a head booker somewhere is, they don't want to be exclusive to you because they hold a position of power elsewhere. Makes perfect sense to me.

[QUOTE=Remianen;177499]It's not a breach of contract. Let's say you sign on to be project manager for someone. Then, 2 or 4 days later, Hewlett-Packard (or Johnson Wax or Cisco or whoever) offers you their CEO position. Do you turn it down because you just signed on to be a PROJECT MANAGER?!? The head booker is essentially the CEO of a wrestling promotion (or the COO, at worst). They're not the top boss (that's the Chairman) but they're pretty damn close to it. No one's going to turn down a CEO position to be a peon in another company. You wouldn't do it so why should your workers? In game terms, the response you'll get from a worker you try to lock up to an exclusive deal when they're already a head booker somewhere is, they don't want to be exclusive to you because they hold a position of power elsewhere. Makes perfect sense to me.[/QUOTE] Well I probably wouldn't need to sign a contract to be a project manager, either. However, if I were to (foolishly) sign a written agreement to BE a project manager for a particular lengh of time, i wouldn't be legally allowed to leave the contract just because i found a sweeter deal. Let's use a sport analogy: A third line center has a contract to play for a very good hockey team for the next 3 years. In the second year he can't take a contract from a very bad team with a promise of playing on the top line because it's a better job. He's either playing thru his contract or asking for a trade. that most certainly IS a breach of contract. (The key word in all of that is WRITTEN) And not taking a contract because they already have a better job is one thing, and very understandable. Standing up and walking out on a written deal in day 2 or 4 is totally different. Also, for the record, Pat Deacon walked out of his WRITTEN contract as a RA to take a job as a RA!

Actually, it's fairly common to sign a contract to be a project manager (at least in the US and with companies with interests in the Middle East and developing areas). It's called 'consulting'. Your sports analogy is flawed due to a little thing called a 'Collective Bargaining Agreement'. CBAs spell out what's allowed and what's not. I don't think it's quite as cut & dried in this case. When you signed Wanda and Pat, did you get a little window saying they would need 7 days to complete their prior obligations? When that happens, look at their contract (or their entries in your booking screen when booking a show). It'll say, "Contract hasn't started yet". Loophole? Sure! But technically, they didn't belong to you yet so they could still entertain offers. Now, if their contracts had started already and you could use them on shows and such, that sounds like a bug. Does seem odd that a worker would accept the same position elsewhere after agreeing to an exclusive deal. But again, I've seen this potential loophole (though I've never seen it exploited). Mind you, I'm not saying it's RIGHT (it actually kinda sucks heh) but I can see the logic behind it. That is, assuming this occurred during the 7 day waiting period. (Though for Pat Deacon, it's still kinda odd.....unless the promotion he signed with was more prestigious than yours maybe).

[QUOTE=RabidKeeblerElf;177448]I signed Wanda Fish and Pat Deacon to written contracts. 4 and 2 days later, respectively, I was notified they would be leaving for another job. Where are the lawyers in this game? that is a BLATANT breach of contract. I got past the thing where workers don't want to work in the role they signed their contracts for, but that breach is just EVIL! If this was fixed in either of the patches, please continue ignoring me. :D[/QUOTE] I dont know much about law (much about anything really) but maybe there is a cooling off period like you get when door to door salesman hassle you

Well I don't think there's a sport's CBA on the planet that allows for walking out of a contract (hence: holdouts) But you don't see it happening in the wrestling industry, either. Vinnie Mac has been known to keep inactive workers on contract just so they can't work anywhere else. So lets assume my analogy is flawed. Let's assume all of your points are correct. What would be the point in having written contracts AT ALL? Under those circumstances, they're just exclusive PPA's with an alternate form of salary payment that only [U]I[/U] need to pay to get out of. That doesn't sound like a very good deal. I can't remember if I had the pop up for Wanda Fish. I probably did, as she was employed. I [U]didn't[/U] get a 7 day pop up for Deacon, as he was previously unemployed. And it did take FOUR days before he signed another contract. And THAT is particularly fishy (bad pun very intended). Assuming you could manage convincing me that walking out of ANY written contract is anything less than crooked at best, Pat Deacon would still have a boatload of explaing to do to my lawyers.:p

This may be a silly question but I'm going to ask it anyways..... Are you sure you signed them to a written deal and not to an Exclusive Pay Per Appearance deal? People often seem to thing the an E-PPA is the same as a written but it's not, its still a PPA deal that guarantees workers will work only for you, but they can be stolen just as any regular PPA deal worker can be stolen. Derek B

[QUOTE=Lostrelms;177545]This reminds me of a situation thats going on in the NFL right now... Nick Saban signed a 4 year deal to coach the Miami Dolphins. thats a written contract, but he just signed on to be the Head Coach of the University of Alabama, nad is leaving the Dolphins pro team...[/QUOTE] In that case, and in others in real life... There's always a contract buy out, usually put up by the new team/employer.

[QUOTE=Lostrelms;177545]This reminds me of a situation thats going on in the NFL right now... Nick Saban signed a 4 year deal to coach the Miami Dolphins. thats a written contract, but he just signed on to be the Head Coach of the University of Alabama, nad is leaving the Dolphins pro team...[/QUOTE] Although that's a low and sneaky move by Saban, he left to go to a college team (and that still doesn't rule out any potential lawsuits). It is, in effect, "retiring" (from the NFL). If he were to want to leave his contract to go to, say, the Falcons; it would require compensation to Miami from Atlanta. The good news is that I don't think Miami will miss him much. :p

The contract is bound by its own terms, so if the contract stipulates that it becomes binding upon signing (which most do), it IS a subsequent breach of contract to leave for another job. But framing this as a legal discussion is not the way to go... the only law in the C-Verse is ADAM RYLAND... what we should be asking is "did Adam intend for workers to be able to weasel out of written contracts like that?" If the answer is "no", this is a bug. If the answer is "yes", the question is why.

[QUOTE=Monkeypox;177609]The contract is bound by its own terms, so if the contract stipulates that it becomes binding upon signing (which most do), it IS a subsequent breach of contract to leave for another job. But framing this as a legal discussion is not the way to go... the only law in the C-Verse is ADAM RYLAND... what we should be asking is "did Adam intend for workers to be able to weasel out of written contracts like that?" If the answer is "no", this is a bug. If the answer is "yes", the question is why.[/QUOTE] wow. that was heavy, man. lol but you are entirely correct, damn you. I have nothing to debate, there. :p

Archived