[quote]The British style of wrestling is more traditional and technically oriented as opposed to the power moves displayed by their North American counterparts and the high flying lucha libre moves performed by their Mexician counterparts. Other aspects indroduced after the 1950's saw the unique system of five minute rounds (three minutes for title matches), best of three falls matches the norm, two public warnings for rulebreaking before a disqualification and no diving moves allowed on a grounded wrestler. Gimmick matches were also a rarity; midget wrestling failed to catch on, while women were banned by the Greater London Council until the late 1970s. Tag wrestling did however prove to be extremely popular, with televised tag match happening a mere eight or so such times a year to keep them special.[/quote] That's Wikipedia's description of the old World of Sport style if anyone remembers or watches it on TWC. I know I wouldn't be able to replicate the 5 miniute rounds, but how would I best replicate the product in TEW07?

Realism: Key Feature Pure: Key Feature Traditional: Medium 90% Matches (They did have angles occasionally, but never in a storyline sense. Just celebrations and the like.) 20% intensity, 5% danger. Heel/Face Divide: Medium (They had definate heels and faces, but booking them against each other wasn't a concern). That'd be my guess. Not sure about Intensity. On the one hand, the wrestlers themselves were often very intense (Johnny Saint always looked like he was giving birth). But the wrestling can't exactly be described as "fast paced" in any sense of the word ¬_¬ Danger is definately zero. I can't remember anyone ever leaving their feet unless it was to go to the mat ¬_¬

[QUOTE=WrestleManiac;177501]That's Wikipedia's description of the old World of Sport style if anyone remembers or watches it on TWC. I know I wouldn't be able to replicate the 5 miniute rounds, but how would I best replicate the product in TEW07?[/QUOTE] Traditional as key feature, heavy on pure and realism. No women's division. Probably have the match percentage at 90%. Low or none on modern, comedy, risque, daredevil. If you set up computer booking 1 v 1 at 90-95% tag for the remainder. normal matches at 5 minutes, put the mains at either 10 or 12. and consider the round feature to be built in. The fans would be reacting to the wrestlers being in their corners being checked on and prepped for the next round, just like a boxing match.

mvargus and D-Lyrium hit it on the head, it's hard to get it accurate but the 3 categories mentioned are perfect for it. I'd personally go for Traditional: Key, Realism: Key, Pure: Heavy with a touch of Comedy but not much. In theory, it was Mainstream. However, I doubt the Mainstream of then matches the Mainstream of now. It's quite hard to give their face/heel divide, some matches they just wanted the wrestling, others they went completely nuts for faces and boo'd heels insanely. I suppose it wasn't as complicated back then.. and that some men simply had a huge amount of charisma even if they had low talent. Danger and intensity were quite low, it was a tame.. family orientated show who knew how to please almost everybody. One of the few wrestlers with angles was, if anybody remembers, Kendo Nagasaki? Ohh how he was hyped up, the whole nation was gripped when he was unmasked.. and then I can't remember him being that successful afterwards? He wasn't even Japanese. :( Just had contact lenses. We've seen it since then, WWE's Kane. ;)

I'd disagree with Traditional being a key feature. Very rarely did a wrestler have a defined "finisher". Sure, there was the Johnny Saint Special and stuff, but it wasn't a finisher in the modern sense, just a trademark move that he'd always try for. And Traditional to me implies hero vs villain type stuff, which there was very little of most of the time. Unless Jimmy Breaks was in the ring ¬_¬

Archived