When Your Hands Are Tied (by the owners)

I joined EWF as their head bookers. I was happy to finally get away from the floundering BSC promotion. The next day the owner tied my hands from doing anything by putting major blocks on me. I cannot hire anyone over 35, which is usual and I am fine with it, but I also cannot hire anyone with B- in the basics. The basics come with experience or just good workers. Good workers are expensive and my booking a European promotion means that good young workers are rare. My promotion needs 15 wrestlers to be fully functional. There are literally 15 workers that meet my owner's needs and will join my small sized promotion. I am forced to sign the highest priced workers just to stay in the game, and my owner himself, while he is an absolute mega star in Europe, he costs $2600 a pop. Does anyone else have any interesting situations caused by your owner?

My owner wants me to have 100 grand by the end of 2008, when MAW starts with $60,000. Since I never, ever get a profit from a show, I've had to basically refrain from running shows - it's June 2008 and I've ran 7, and before the end of 2008 I'll only be running Where It All Begins Again. In 2009 it should get a bit more fun, running monthly shows.

That 100 grand thing is really stiff! It took me 18 months with BSC to make a monthly profit. I need 15 wrestlers, because it says I need 15, I don't want to drop in popularity, the only way out of the "small promotion suction" is to go full force and break into regional so I can get more workers in general. I ended up having to make a deal with CZCW to do talent trades just so I would have enough guys on the roster (thank you Marc Speed).

[QUOTE=sitebender;178813]That 100 grand thing is really stiff! It took me 18 months with BSC to make a monthly profit. I need 15 wrestlers, because it says I need 15, I don't want to drop in popularity, the only way out of the "small promotion suction" is to go full force and break into regional so I can get more workers in general. I ended up having to make a deal with CZCW to do talent trades just so I would have enough guys on the roster (thank you Marc Speed).[/QUOTE] Trades are a good way. Get one with I believe its TCW and bring in American Elemental. Also trade alot with small promotions, it will give your guys more exposure.

To make things worse / more interesting there is another European startup the EWWF (I think) and I am the EWF. We have the exact same talent. We both started with rediculous tour schedules. So that will really choke us both. However, I just found I could buy out their promotion, so they're dead in the water right now :-) Now that I've raised to regional... there are not enough workers to meet the requirements, so I'm having to make a lot of working agreements to keep up :-) Survival is so rewarding :-)

On the topic of owners... I love Tommy Cornell. He let me change the match ratio to 100%, yay. I just got a 10k sell out B+ show which probably wouldnt have happened had I booked angles. The product feature may be the best thing in 07, I'm not one for angles and storylines so I would usually play hybrid or pure in Japan but now I can play in the States with the big muscley Americans. Good times... it'll even better when I get the full game, less than a week now, yay again!

Yeah, I'm booking PGHW and ol' Sadaharu Jimbo won't let me pay enough to keep any of my major stars, so I have to either destroy their overness in the hopes that they'll ask for less money or watch my biggest stars leave one by one. Stupid old prune. If it goes on much longer, I'll have to forget about his busted back and take him out of retirement.

I have mixed feelings about the owner blocks and what not; I DO think they're a good idea, and do add additional challenge to any game. HOWEVER, the idea in my opinion needs to be fleshed out further. Since the game itself tries to be as realistic as possible, it would make sense to me for Cult to international size promotions to have these blocks; they have tons of money, and when they hire you to book their show, this is their way of saying "I'm still your boss." And there's nothing wrong with some extra challenge in your game. With all that said, I can't imagine a small to medium sized promotion doing these types of blocks as money is scarce. I mean, if you're put in a situation where you CANNOT hire the cheaper guy because he doesn't have B- in Basics, but the more expensive guy will bankrupt you, or not even bother to negotiate with you, what else can you do? Additionally,another factor is where you're running your fed, as certain regions have more workers available then others; Japan, USA and Canada have more workers available then UK, Europe, or Mexico. Just my two cents.

[QUOTE=AdmiralZ;179058]Yeah, I'm booking PGHW and ol' Sadaharu Jimbo won't let me pay enough to keep any of my major stars, so I have to either destroy their overness in the hopes that they'll ask for less money or watch my biggest stars leave one by one.[/QUOTE] I have discovered no matter what a resigned worker wants more money, even if its just 25$ per appearance.

[QUOTE=Actarus;179111]I have mixed feelings about the owner blocks and what not; I DO think they're a good idea, and do add additional challenge to any game. HOWEVER, the idea in my opinion needs to be fleshed out further. Since the game itself tries to be as realistic as possible, it would make sense to me for Cult to international size promotions to have these blocks; they have tons of money, and when they hire you to book their show, this is their way of saying "I'm still your boss." And there's nothing wrong with some extra challenge in your game. With all that said, I can't imagine a small to medium sized promotion doing these types of blocks as money is scarce. I mean, if you're put in a situation where you CANNOT hire the cheaper guy because he doesn't have B- in Basics, but the more expensive guy will bankrupt you, or not even bother to negotiate with you, what else can you do? Additionally,another factor is where you're running your fed, as certain regions have more workers available then others; Japan, USA and Canada have more workers available then UK, Europe, or Mexico. [/QUOTE] I would like it to be more fleshed out in terms of owners telling you to push guys with muscles or talent. Like VKM (owner not crappy tag team) tells his bookers to push the big guys with muscles. Owners would step in and say wait a second... my best friend is going over the main eventer I demand it :-) About small promotion blocks I CAN imagine it. It is a reality no matter where you are. They own it, its their money they feel their needs should be satasfied by anything else. They feel it should portray something specific. Plus like I said survival is so rewarding. Despite the huge challenge of there being not enough workers in existance in Europe to hire, I have managed to make 3 working agreements and bring in 4 other workers from other promotions to survive :-) Now 2 promotions have collapsed, EWWF and 21CW, leaving MoSC and myself in the Europe / England area.

Archived