Joe's "Attire" on iMPACT!

mjdgoldeneye

Late, but anyhow, did anyone notice what shirt Samoa Joe was wearing on iMPACT this week? It featured the Cog symbol from the Xbox 360 game Gears of War. Assuming it wasn't more product placement, he must be a fan. Would this somehow prove to be good news for the TNA game? (Joe + Gears of War on TV = Proof he knows games and wrestling. Add that with AJ Styles and the fact that they're helping respected game company Midway, and you get an awesome game!) Discuss! (I'd post a picture, but couldn't find one anywhere...)

[QUOTE=Goldenskillz;179544]How much you know gaming from the playing side, its a WHOLE new world on the other side of the game. I reckon it should at least be a decent game, but no matter how imput from the wrestlers it's up for Midwest (if there producing it) to make a sweet assed game.[/QUOTE] Hi. Gamers make the best games. Need proof of that? I got at least 50 examples. Let bean counters and non-gamers make games and you get....well, garbage.

I don't knoow if gamers make the best games. I've seen some prettylame stuff from classmates. And remember that most of the great early games were made by guys with degrees in computer science and math and electrical en gineering, and had never played video games. They were, however, all potheads. So maybe potheads make the best games. Seriously though, if Midway wants to make a good game all they have to do is contact AKI (unless they still have a contract with EA, but I think they only did the first Def Jam) and tell them to dust off the code from No Mercy. So long as this game doesn't play like WWF WArzone/Attitude or WCW Mayhem/Backstage Asssault it'll be ok.

First off, Goldenskillz, where do you keep getting "Midwest" from? No offense or anything, but it's "Midway". You know, the makers of Mortal Kombat! (One of the most iconic gaming franchises of all time!) I think the game will be good because: 1. It's TNA. They've never produced a game before, and if I were them, I'd try to make it good. A good game will open up opportunities for future games, and having a (hopefully) well marketed game will give them exposure. Exposure is the one thing TNA needs right now. 2. It's Midway. They always have good-to-great games. Some may argue, but I think all the Mortal Kombat Games have been good. (Except 4 and the adventure games for N64/PS) The Blitz football series has always been awesome, even since EA's Madden Monopoly on the NFL. They're a copany that always knows what's good and needs to be in a game (Like Rockstar, and unlike THQ. Rockstar can make a Ping-Pong game fun, but THQ just makes screwed up Spongebob games and SvR... Even though this year's is on par for once...) 3. Joe and AJ are working with them. Yeah, I know, playing Super Mario Bros. doesn't make you a software engineer. However, a combined knowledge of what a fun game involves and what a good wrestling match needs is perfect for making a wrestling game! Joe has commented on the greatness of the AKI games in multiple interviews. Also, he is an avid (sp) gamer. If it is bad, I'll be crushed. I can't wait for the first ever digital Canadian Destroyer!

[QUOTE=Goldenskillz;179579]Im pretty sure Midwest doesnt consist of a load of non gamers, im just saying its up to Midwest not Aj, Joe and the like.[/QUOTE] I'm saying that with a licensed property, the licensees can either be a huge help or a tremendous hindrance, depending on how they're treated. Let the wrestlers clue the designers in on how the physics should work (and thus, how each move looks when performed) and you could very well have a breakthrough game. Treat them like they don't know anything because they're not game designers (as you seemed to imply in your first post) and you're likely to get garbage, no matter how good the studio is or has been in the past. There's a reason why some licenses are guarded so well (Games Workshop & Warhammer comes to mind). In this instance, Joe and AJ and the like are ALPHA testers. Their input could make the game exponentially better. Just because they don't design games for a living doesn't mean they don't have anything constructive to contribute. It's a collaborative effort. Left to their own devices, no matter how good people think they are, I think Midway would make a pretty average game. And as good as I think No Mercy was, I don't think it would fly in this day and age. It didn't have anything that's generally considered 'required' now since N64s and the like couldn't make use of complex physics engines and high polygon counts and things like that. Also didn't have eleventy million buttons on a controller. I'm sure they also don't want it to LOOK inferior to WWE's games so they're going to jack up everything so even 360s and Wiis scream for liquid cooling after playing for an hour.

I think the Major (Sorry admins) @$$ downfall for the TNA game is all the hype by the TNA faithful. I think that if they can tone down the hype that its gonna be a great game, just a little. I mean its TNA's first try at the gaming industry and I think TNA faithful want this game to be like a GOD among games. While I will still hope for a (sry JBL) Wrestling God amongst the games, I just want it to be Playable.

[QUOTE=mjdgoldeneye;179608]First off, Goldenskillz, where do you keep getting "Midwest" from? No offense or anything, but it's "Midway". You know, the makers of Mortal Kombat! (One of the most iconic gaming franchises of all time!) [/QUOTE] Ok so i don't play Video games to often, add to that the fact im a grade A doofus with a real short attention span....i tend to get little details wrong. Nonetheless my point still stands....except Midway not Midwest *Cringes*.

I think that having AJ & Joe working closly with Midway is only going to make the game better. Now Im not saying this is going to be the end all, be all of Wrestling games (remember the WWF's earlier tries - I cringe thinking about Raw Is War), but I think its going to be good. Joe and AJ are advid gamers and Joe just recently won a Gears Of War contest recently. By putting them on the dev team with Midway and giving there input is only going to make the game better. Midway can have something in the game that just wont sit right with wrestling fans and Joe can say "hey lets change that into this". Plus, I cant remember if it was AJ or Joe that said it, but they said that itwas going to go back to the N64 days. That can only be a good thing as No Mercy was the greatest wrestling game of all time in my opinion. There was just so any options, the storyline branched of into SO many different directions, the actual wrestling work flawlessly, and the controls were BRILLIANT! Again I am not saying that TNA Impact is going to be the greatest wrestling game of all time, but I think it will end up giving the WWE games a run for there money after about 3 versions.

[QUOTE=mjdgoldeneye;179608]First off, Goldenskillz, where do you keep getting "Midwest" from? No offense or anything, but it's "Midway". You know, the makers of Mortal Kombat! (One of the most iconic gaming franchises of all time!) I think the game will be good because: 1. It's TNA. They've never produced a game before, and if I were them, I'd try to make it good. A good game will open up opportunities for future games, and having a (hopefully) well marketed game will give them exposure. Exposure is the one thing TNA needs right now. 2. It's Midway. They always have good-to-great games. Some may argue, but I think all the Mortal Kombat Games have been good. (Except 4 and the adventure games for N64/PS) The Blitz football series has always been awesome, even since EA's Madden Monopoly on the NFL. They're a copany that always knows what's good and needs to be in a game (Like Rockstar, and unlike THQ. Rockstar can make a Ping-Pong game fun, but THQ just makes screwed up Spongebob games and SvR... Even though this year's is on par for once...) 3. Joe and AJ are working with them. Yeah, I know, playing Super Mario Bros. doesn't make you a software engineer. However, a combined knowledge of what a fun game involves and what a good wrestling match needs is perfect for making a wrestling game! Joe has commented on the greatness of the AKI games in multiple interviews. Also, he is an avid (sp) gamer. If it is bad, I'll be crushed. I can't wait for the first ever digital Canadian Destroyer![/QUOTE] The Canadian Destroyer has already appeared in a wrestling game, mind in 2D. In Fire Pro Wrestling Returns. My misgivings about the game still lies int he fact that it's the Paradox guys (Backyard Wrestling) working on it.

[QUOTE=The Stallion;180096]I think it will end up giving the WWE games a run for there money after about 3 versions.[/QUOTE] I think you just said the key words right there. The first game is always going to be rough around the edges. No Mercy evolved from WCW World Tour, which, despite solid controls was missing a lot of things. And neither World Tour, WCW/nWo Revenge or Smackdown one featured a real created wrestler (Smackdown allowed you to mix and match body parts of wrestlers, so it did have one, but..)

[QUOTE=StefanGrey;180127]I think you just said the key words right there. The first game is always going to be rough around the edges. No Mercy evolved from WCW World Tour, which, despite solid controls was missing a lot of things. And neither World Tour, WCW/nWo Revenge or Smackdown one featured a real created wrestler (Smackdown allowed you to mix and match body parts of wrestlers, so it did have one, but..)[/QUOTE] Oh yea, thats a definate.There is no way its going to get even NEAR the sales of the Smackdown series. SVR has a HUGE install base already, Impact will have just the TNA faithfull and maybe a few others who want to try something different who pick it out. I truly beleve that the game will be good out of the gate, but its going to take a couple of years of both TNA itself growing and the game getting all the kinks out.

In the end, the quality of the game is going to rest on the control configuration and the system used for the basics - wrestling. In my opinion, that's the reason No Mercy is heralded as one of the greatest wrestling games of all time; AKI created a solid system. The Fire Pro series is guilty of the same thing. SvR... didn't. But they managed to throw in a bunch of fluff (Fulfill Your Fantasy matches, anyone?), so it still sold. As long as Midway and Paradox (God help us) are able to create a solid system, the game is going to be fun. Fluff always helps (as I'd definitely like to see a CAW mode, multiplayer season mode, multiple match types), but the system needs to be solid for any of those to be enjoyable.

[QUOTE=Sartagis;180099]The Canadian Destroyer has already appeared in a wrestling game, mind in 2D. In Fire Pro Wrestling Returns. My misgivings about the game still lies int he fact that it's the Paradox guys (Backyard Wrestling) working on it.[/QUOTE] The whole Idea behind a Backyard wrestling game would never really work out to begin with. They didn't have a ring! With no coding available for that object, it took away any possible depth to the game. That's the same way WCW Backstage Assault was. Since TNA obviously has a ring, they'll go into those steps to include that in. With the ring involved, so many more moves and even the controls of the game are already so much different than the like of Backyard Wrestling's and Backstage Assault's. Is Paradox even working on this game? If you had the chance to see the trailor for the TNA game, it looked really good. The iMPACT! Zone looked really life-like and so did AJ and Joe. I think it will be good, if not a great game. Just because all the WWE marks are ****ing on it just because it's something that has TNA apart of it, doesn't mean jack squat. What are the WWE marks gonna do about it? They can take the crappy looking punches that were in WWF Smackdown from day 1 and still in today and shove it up their ***.

A couple of things from a person who will be making video games for the XBOX 360 real soon: 1) There are three teams involved when making a game, creative, tech and art. Always and forever. Tech and art are important, but creative takes the cake in inportance, and they will rarely work with a piece of coding. I assume Mr. Joe and Mr. Styles will be working on the creative team. 2) Don't judge a video game company by it's past, because they can always lay an egg or bring out a gem. Instead judge based on reviews, feature lists, screenshots, ect. 3) Chalkboard Warrior. Spring 2007, be on the look out.

[QUOTE=Astil;180428]A couple of things from a person who will be making video games for the XBOX 360 real soon: 1) There are three teams involved when making a game, creative, tech and art. Always and forever. Tech and art are important, but creative takes the cake in inportance, and they will rarely work with a piece of coding. I assume Mr. Joe and Mr. Styles will be working on the creative team. 2) Don't judge a video game company by it's past, because they can always lay an egg or bring out a gem. Instead judge based on reviews, feature lists, screenshots, ect. 3) Chalkboard Warrior. Spring 2007, be on the look out.[/QUOTE] Are you using that new software that was released from microsoft that allows you to make gams for the 360? I cant remember the name of it right now.

[QUOTE=Travis;180315]The whole Idea behind a Backyard wrestling game would never really work out to begin with. They didn't have a ring! With no coding available for that object, it took away any possible depth to the game. That's the same way WCW Backstage Assault was. Since TNA obviously has a ring, they'll go into those steps to include that in. With the ring involved, so many more moves and even the controls of the game are already so much different than the like of Backyard Wrestling's and Backstage Assault's.[/QUOTE] Not to mention the whole mechanics of the games were horrible. That Def Jam or whatever it was called had no ring but would have made a pretty good wrestling engine, not great but better then BYW. [QUOTE=Travis;180315]Is Paradox even working on this game? If you had the chance to see the trailor for the TNA game, it looked really good. The iMPACT! Zone looked really life-like and so did AJ and Joe. I think it will be good, if not a great game. Just because all the WWE marks are ****ing on it just because it's something that has TNA apart of it, doesn't mean jack squat. What are the WWE marks gonna do about it? They can take the crappy looking punches that were in WWF Smackdown from day 1 and still in today and shove it up their ***.[/QUOTE] Paradox was bought by Midway just after BYW2 came out, and it's members of that team (with midway guys, though I guess they are all midway guys now lol) are working on it. I've seent he trailer and it did "look" pretty but we saw no gameplay, and nothing to show that those graphics are in game. Though Midway is capable of getting those graphics with next gen I'd think. So far there's been nothing shown from the game that gives any reason to think it will be any good. We've posibly seen what the in game graphics look like, well SvR looks awesome too graphically....but it sucks big time. So for now the only real measuring stick there is, is the development team. Which last tiem round showed they couldn't make a good wrestling engine. But it could still be great. Midway is a good company and with soem of there own guys working with the paradox guys it could be an awesome game. Which I hope it is.

[QUOTE=The Stallion;180640]Are you using that new software that was released from microsoft that allows you to make gams for the 360? I cant remember the name of it right now.[/QUOTE] I'm on creative and art, I don't do that "techy" stuff. All I know is we write it in C++, and it gets converted onto 360 format.

Archived