Overbook - Road Agent Instruction

from the help files Overbook [QUOTE]This means that you want "organised chaos" - basically you want as much as possible to happen in and around the match, so that it is full of twists and turns. The advantage is that you can make a mediocre match look better simply through the fact that so much is happening that nobody notices the match itself isn't great. The disadvantage is that a dreadful match can just be made to look even worse, like a complete mess, if the distractions appear to obvious. Also, you have the drawback that a good match can be ruined by all the shenanigans, as it disrupts the flow and pyschology involved.[/QUOTE] lol! If that doesn't describe a TNA X Division match I don't know what does! :)

not a cheap shot, just an honest opinion about 4 minute matches that feature more tumbling and male gymnastics than actual wrestling. It's pretty sad when Batista is performing more wrestling holds in his matches! high spots and backflips don't hold a candle to a good fujiwar armbar and some great ring psycology. The sad part is most of those X Division guys can actually wrestle, especially Christopher Daniels. If only TNA had someone who could book wrestling matches, and not just 4 minute spot fests where all 6 guys in the match hit their finishers back to back to back to back.... It's good to see Jerry Lynn getting back in the ring. Maybe Vince Russo won't screw that booking up (wishful thinking)

"Overbook" doesn't mean to make the match a spot-fest, so the comparison towards the X-Division is completely wrong and pretty demeaning to the wrestlers in that division that are not that type of wrestler. "Overbook" actually means to create chaos with weapon shots, many near-falls, interference, among other things. A more recent example would be matches like Triple H vs Batista, where the workrate was average, but the twists and turns and weapon spots made the matches entertaining.

[QUOTE=still71;179706]not a cheap shot, just an honest opinion about 4 minute matches that feature more tumbling and male gymnastics than actual wrestling. It's pretty sad when Batista is performing more wrestling holds in his matches! high spots and backflips don't hold a candle to a good fujiwar armbar and some great ring psycology. The sad part is most of those X Division guys can actually wrestle, especially Christopher Daniels. If only TNA had someone who could book wrestling matches, and not just 4 minute spot fests where all 6 guys in the match hit their finishers back to back to back to back.... It's good to see Jerry Lynn getting back in the ring. Maybe Vince Russo won't screw that booking up (wishful thinking)[/QUOTE] I know it wasnt its just the TNA loyalists generally dont like any criticism of X-Division especially without reason. I think your right, although the Styles/Daniels/Joe feud really made it watchable.

Overbooking is more the sort of thing you see during any Vince McMahon Wrestlemania match. The Vince vs Shane street fight would be a perfect example of it. Foley refereeing, Steph in Vince's corner, Trish bringing Linda down, Trish turning face during match, all kinds of Trish/Steph shenanigans, Linda becoming "un-drugged", big high spots...... perhaps the most overbooked match I can ever think of. Whereas TNA's X division matches are generally just too short and have to fit a full match into a very small amount of time. Its the limitations of the TV time rather than the limitations of the workers that do that, as you would see if you'd seen the X division when its on PPV. Impact makes me sad sometimes, there's just too much to fit into too little time, get that second hour already and show everyone what TNA can really do!! Afterall, its tough to have 3 good matches in 40 minutes and some other storylines and that does seem to be what TNA basically have to work with..... very ouch. Hence, high spots! Causes the necessary damage for people to lose and saves people looking like a wuss on national TV. :) Derek B

The X-Division is usually great. Alex Shelley, Austin Starr, Jay Lethal, AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, and Senshi are all fantastic wrestlers in almost any style. Heck, even Kevin Nash has been entertaining as of late for the first time in a decade! The problem children with the X-Division are the two overhyped spot monkeys named Chris Sabin and Sonjay Dutt. Those two are pushed to the moon on practically zero talent and it makes the whole division look bad. I can't think of [i]anyone[/i] in the division worse than those two. Freaking Shark Boy is more entertaining. EDIT: Overbooking, by the way, is a trademark of Paul Heyman's. A lot of undercard ECW matches would have it, usually as a result of New Jack showing up. Like ten or more people interfering, lots of weapons, and the eventual balcony dive. Great stuff! Heck, if you look "overbooking" up in the dictionary, you'll see New Jack's picture right there.

[QUOTE=Anubis;179749] The problem children with the X-Division are the two overhyped spot monkeys named Chris Sabin and Sonjay Dutt. Those two are pushed to the moon on practically zero talent and it makes the whole division look bad. I can't think of [i]anyone[/i] in the division worse than those two. Freaking Shark Boy is more entertaining. [/QUOTE] My thoughts exactly! I can't stand those two. In fact I can't stand watch either of those two gymnists. If had a nickel for every time I saw a standing shooting star press no-sold and then followed up by everyone elses finisher... I'd be a rich man...

[QUOTE=still71;179850]My thoughts exactly! I can't stand those two. In fact I can't stand watch either of those two gymnists. If had a nickel for every time I saw a standing shooting star press no-sold and then followed up by everyone elses finisher... I'd be a rich man...[/QUOTE] Some of the big spots I don't like in the X-Divsion are the chain of finishers and the suplex tower, both of which happen anytime four or more of these guys get in the ring. They make Rob Van Dam look like Mariko Yoshida! Don't get me wrong, I love RVD, but Chris Sabin and Sonjay Dutt especially take it [i]way[/i] to the extreme.

[QUOTE=still71;179706] The sad part is most of those X Division guys can actually wrestle, especially Christopher Daniels. If only TNA had someone who could book wrestling matches, and not just 4 minute spot fests where all 6 guys in the match hit their finishers back to back to back to back.... It's good to see Jerry Lynn getting back in the ring. Maybe Vince Russo won't screw that booking up (wishful thinking)[/QUOTE] Those type of X-Divison matches were featured on Impact before Russo, an they will be after Russo. It's more due to the rushing of the show due to the 1 Hour timeslot then any booker.

Please don't judge Chris Sabin on what he does in TNA, especially on iMPACT. He actually has had great matches in TNA, especially on PPV, That was mostly back in the day, before they were on Spike. Sabin is also a regular at PWG, and I go to their shows every once in a while. He has had some really good matches there. If you can get a DVD of one of his PWG matches, especially with someone like Alex Shelley, get it because it'll quickly change you opinion of him. I do hope iMPACT gets their second hour soon (and they're reportedly in negotiations for it) so that people can stop complain that their matches suck because they're so short. Think back to the older days of wrestling when the one hour shows were all squash matches. Isn't iMPACT at least better than that?

[QUOTE=derek_b;179746]Overbooking is more the sort of thing you see during any Vince McMahon Wrestlemania match. The Vince vs Shane street fight would be a perfect example of it. Foley refereeing, Steph in Vince's corner, Trish bringing Linda down, Trish turning face during match, all kinds of Trish/Steph shenanigans, Linda becoming "un-drugged", big high spots...... perhaps the most overbooked match I can ever think of.[/QUOTE] Yep, that's how I view overbooking too. That Wrestlemania was an absolutely brilliant Pay-Per-View. Pity the WWF after all that had completely and utterly no idea as to how to take advantage of WCW's purchase.

Archived