Bowl Game Selection Process

Can someone explain how the Bowl selection process works… Who is supposed to play who in the Bowl Games and how the Championship week games are determined… I thought I had a couple of questionable Bowl Selections that I hope someone can clarify: Week 18 #2 Ranked Utah plays the unranked UCLA in the Las Vegas Bowl • Why would a #2 ranked team not play in the Championship Game or at least one of the more prestigious Bowl games Week 19 #5 ranked Florida State faces unranked Miss St in the Peach Bowl Week 21 #1 Notre Dame faces #4 Nebraska in the Rose bowl (Championship Game) #9 Virginia Tech faces #25 Syracuse in the Orange Bowl #14 Oregon faces #15 Georgia in the Sugar Bowl #3 Michigan faces #7 Texas in the Fiesta Bowl • Just found these to be all different match-ups considering the high ranking of some of the teams involved (especially with the #2, #5, #6, #7 and #8 ranked teams playing earlier and in lesser bowls) Also how do you edit/add Bowl Games. Thks

To answer your first question; the championship week games are selected based on the GDCS rankings, not the coaches poll. There have been many times in real life where the team that is #2 in the coaches or media polls do not play in the championship game. Also, some conferences (Big Ten, Big XII, PAC 10, Big East, ACC, and SEC I believe) have automatic bids; this means the conference champ will get the championship week game as long as they are bowl eligible. Just look at this year's BCS games with #3 vs #8, #4 vs #11, #5 vs #15, and #7 vs #8. This year just shows how crazy the system is. The #6 team in the nation (with only 1 loss) doesn't even get a BCS bowl bid (because of a technicality), and wins their bowl while the two teams who got BCS bids with 2 losses each lose their bowl. So check their GDCS ranking, that should clairify your bowl selections. To answer your second question, you can edit the bowls by editing the pstats file using Microsoft Access.

[QUOTE=nuggett;180871] Week 21 #1 Notre Dame faces #4 Nebraska in the Rose bowl (Championship Game) #9 Virginia Tech faces #25 Syracuse in the Orange Bowl #14 Oregon faces #15 Georgia in the Sugar Bowl #3 Michigan faces #7 Texas in the Fiesta Bowl [/QUOTE] This looks to have shaken out like this: #1 GDCS vs #2 GDCS ACC auto vs Big East auto PAC 10 auto vs ACC auto Big 10 auto vs Big XII auto

All much clearer now... Thanks for the answers... I should have looked at the real life match-up and rankings (which I usually do) before I posted. Based on these answers, makes the game even that much more realistic with this flawed Bowl system... Also makes the game more intriguing.

[QUOTE=nuggett;180994]All much clearer now... Thanks for the answers... I should have looked at the real life match-up and rankings (which I usually do) before I posted. Based on these answers, makes the game even that much more realistic with this flawed Bowl system... Also makes the game more intriguing.[/QUOTE] Flawed is the key term, that's why I like to use the playoff setting. Good Broncos, the real 2007 National Champs!

In the playoff system, every conference champ gets an auto bid to the playoffs and there are 4 at large bids, making a 16 tournament. The playoffs are seeded and they play through the four weeks. The other bowl games are still present, so it is possible to not make the playoffs and still play in a post season bowl game. I just like this because if you prove yourself through the regular season, you get a chance at the championship, no matter what your prestige is. I think there is a mod you can download in the mods section that sets up the playoffs to accept the top 16 ranked teams.

Archived