Real World Mods-Which Are Done?

dude check the Mods sub-forum. Most real world mods won't be done for a month or two, especially current day ones. Tommy's 2001 mod is due out in the next couple of weeks. The Montreal Aftermath 1997 mod is pretty much out and playable. Most mod makers are keeping an update in their threads on when they expect to be done so check it out.

[QUOTE=the_andy;183198]it would be nice for some kinda of stickied thread with the completed mods in, its very hard for us folk who dont visit here all that often to know whats done and what isnt. I only just realised the montreal aftermath was out like... today.[/QUOTE] Unfortunately we're not allowed a sticky thread. Had this discussion with Adam before during TEW04 and 05 Something to do with using copyrighted names etc etc, so it would look like he was advertising it........ cant remember the exact reason, but no, we cant have a sticky thread

[QUOTE=joose2001;183468]Unfortunately we're not allowed a sticky thread. Had this discussion with Adam before during TEW04 and 05 Something to do with using copyrighted names etc etc, so it would look like he was advertising it........ cant remember the exact reason, but no, we cant have a sticky thread[/QUOTE] WWE in particular have cracked down heavily on games using WWE copyrights, and anything that suggests GDS/Adam are actively encouraging real world mods could get them in trouble. The Promotion Wars freeware game, for example, is only available for download with ROH and TNA playable - for a game you actually pay money for, it'd be impossible. If we ask nicely, I'm sure mod makers will amend their topic title to state clearly once their mod has been released :-)

I'm sure a regular contributor to the forums could take it upon themselves to start and maintain a "What Mod's Have Been Released" thread whereby they keep the editing the first post with all the latest news and download locations of the mods that are available. I'm sure it'd get bumped regularly enough to make it high profile and keep it easy for people to find. Sure it's a hell of a lot of work for someone and GDS couldn't endorse it but it'd make the whole mod thing more manageable for more people.

You mean like I done for about 6 months for TEW2005 in their forums? Was also harder as I kept updating it to all the new pic packs people done as well It is abit of a task, esp if you want to keep all the links live BUT I think BobInc will probably be uploading the majority onto his own site, which is very very helpful to all the modmakers here

Maybe what is needed is a single "Announcement" thread. A single thread in the mod sub-forum for Mod-makers to go advertise a new completed mod. Something with a with an agreed upon format. Example: Name: Flying Monkeys of Doom mod Link for Download:[url]www.thislinkgoesnowere.com[/url] Link for mod discussion thread: ww.greydogsoftware.com/forum/blahblahblah Description: this mod does not exist. Not stickied or anything, but everytime someone releases something they could go into ONE thread, that everyone agrees to STAY THE **** OUT OF, unless it is to legitimately post a new completed mod (Not updates, revisions, etc...). Ofcourse that would mean policing ourselves, and this IS the GDS boards afterall... it may be impossible to carry out.

[QUOTE=James Casey;183501]WWE in particular have cracked down heavily on games using WWE copyrights, and anything that suggests GDS/Adam are actively encouraging real world mods could get them in trouble. The Promotion Wars freeware game, for example, is only available for download with ROH and TNA playable - for a game you actually pay money for, it'd be impossible. If we ask nicely, I'm sure mod makers will amend their topic title to state clearly once their mod has been released :-)[/QUOTE] No, it is not impossible. Oliver Copp, the creater of the TNM simulator, allows for exports of many WWE, TNA, etc wrestlers. They used to come with the game itself, but I think he had to pay fees to the WWE. Offering the exports separate from the game, there is nothing the WWE can do. Oliver is not making money off the wrestlers or the WWE. The users are paying for the simulator itself. Adam really needs to have a conversation with Oliver. Oliver has more experience with interacting with wrestlers, promotions, and other facets of the wrestling industry. (Not to mention, there is no excuse to not incorporate a TNM like match engine for those who want more).

[QUOTE=HugeRockStar760;184036]No, it is not impossible. Oliver Copp, the creater of the TNM simulator, allows for exports of many WWE, TNA, etc wrestlers. They used to come with the game itself, but I think he had to pay fees to the WWE. Offering the exports separate from the game, there is nothing the WWE can do. Oliver is not making money off the wrestlers or the WWE. The users are paying for the simulator itself. Adam really needs to have a conversation with Oliver. Oliver has more experience with interacting with wrestlers, promotions, and other facets of the wrestling industry. (Not to mention, there is no excuse to not incorporate a TNM like match engine for those who want more).[/QUOTE] To clarify for you, what you've said above it absolutely wrong, and just plays up all the myths that have somehow become "fact" thanks to the Internet. Oliver could absolutely have legal action taken against him by TNA or any of the other promotions he uses, he's simply not big enough for them to bother with the legal expense of dealing with. The WWE could too, but if I recall rightly he does some work for the European arm of the promotion, and so they overlook him. Someone earlier in the thread said that PW and EWR could because they didn't make money, which you also said in your post. That is another Internet myth, and is [U]absolutely and totally wrong[/U]. It doesn't matter if it's freeware or commercial, and it never has. It's something entirely made up by people who didn't know what they were talking about. Both were simply so small that they were under the WWE's radar and not worth the effort. I believe PW actually have been contacted since then by the WWE's legal department, as have other games that were in development and used the WWE's material. So, in short, sorry HugeRockStar760 but your entire post is based on myths and false information.

[QUOTE=CarlitoCoool;185204]I hope those GDS lawyers are good because it's only a matter of time before we see "Rough Justice" [I]Timmy[/I] Cornell pop up in WWE :D[/QUOTE] Brings up an interesting question: what happens if WWE brings in a character named BLZ Bubb? Can Adam sue WWE? Could WWE turn around and sue Adam (I'm pretty sure the Cornellverse is copyrighted but just checking). Could they co-exist? Sorry if this has been dealt with before.

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland;185196]To clarify for you, what you've said above it absolutely wrong, and just plays up all the myths that have somehow become "fact" thanks to the Internet. Oliver could absolutely have legal action taken against him by TNA or any of the other promotions he uses, he's simply not big enough for them to bother with the legal expense of dealing with. The WWE could too, but if I recall rightly he does some work for the European arm of the promotion, and so they overlook him. Someone earlier in the thread said that PW and EWR could because they didn't make money, which you also said in your post. That is another Internet myth, and is [U]absolutely and totally wrong[/U]. It doesn't matter if it's freeware or commercial, and it never has. It's something entirely made up by people who didn't know what they were talking about. Both were simply so small that they were under the WWE's radar and not worth the effort. I believe PW actually have been contacted since then by the WWE's legal department, as have other games that were in development and used the WWE's material. So, in short, sorry HugeRockStar760 but your entire post is based on myths and false information.[/QUOTE] You can choose what you wish to believe. Even if your opinion is based on what the GDS lawyers had to say. It seems like they are the ones totally misinformed, if not lazy on their research here. It is a fact that there is no way a wrestling promotion can sue a company that doesn't sell a game using the names or likenesses of its wrestlers. When you buy TNM, you're buying the game, not the exports. The exports are user creations. The exports, while having the names of trademarked wrestlers, were not bought and paid for to be used in the game. That is why Oliver can have a section for exports on his website. It's no different than what is hosted here in the TEW07 Mod forums. If a modder asks for donations for their work, then that could be something the WWE could pursue. The WWE can sue whoever they want to. You're right on that. Why? Because they have the money to influence people not to fight against them. It doesn't mean they are correct 100% of the time either. It is no different than the ACLU suing schools for the pledge of allegiance. They can sue those schools because they have the resources (money) to outlast them in court. Not to mention, the WWE tried to take legal action against a popular wrestling torrent site and they failed. The argument is the same in the case of using TNM exports of WWE, TNA wrestlers and using real world mods in TEW07. I'll take Oliver's explanation on this considering he's actually been in the wrestling business and has an understanding of its inner workings. And I'm not being biased since I also purchased TEW07 and think it is a really in-depth game. It's just too bad that there cannot be some kind of partnership between two great games.

Archived