Gimmicks.. a question about effectiveness.

Ok, I hire new workers.. I slowly but surely look at their skills sheet where it has letter grades for gimmick types, I look what gimmicks they have high skill in, look through the gimmicks list to find "This worker has all the requirements to use this gimmick." And when they debut they all have D or lower for effectiveness? When some of the workers who were already on the roster and had gimmicks already (gimmicks that when I look they aren't skilled for or have skill in) are B, B+, A, etc. Am I missing something?

You may be giving them gimmicks that don't mesh well with your promotion's product. If your promotion values realism and you give someone a goofy gimmick, they may be rated poorly even if they are good at the gimmick simply because it doesn't fit the product.

[QUOTE=Ping von Erich;181108]Ok, I hire new workers.. I slowly but surely look at their skills sheet where it has letter grades for gimmick types, I look what gimmicks they have high skill in, look through the gimmicks list to find "This worker has all the requirements to use this gimmick." And when they debut they all have D or lower for effectiveness? When some of the workers who were already on the roster and had gimmicks already (gimmicks that when I look they aren't skilled for or have skill in) are B, B+, A, etc. Am I missing something?[/QUOTE] The Filter feature on the gimmick selection screen would save you a ton of time dude, check it out. You can filter out all the gimmicks that the worker doesn't have the stats to use and by gimmick type. Workers already in the data when you start out who have a gimmick set are as effective at using that gimmick as if they had all the requirements to use that gimmick, even if they don't. Basicly, it's like they had it at one time [I]before the game was started[/I] and was given that gimmick, but for whatever reason, they no longer have all the requirements. The gimmick hasn't grown stale yet with the fans, however, so until it does, they can still use it. For a more technical reason, the function was created so that when you start a game using poorly made data (or real world data where a workers actual stats don't match the expected requirements), you don't have to switch a bunch of gimmicks around right at the start. ;) Trashbear makes some solid points too, you may want to see which gimmicks are rated as being highly effective among the workers who were initally on your roster to see what types get over with your crowd then assign accordingly.

I've had a huge problem with this issue in MAW.. everyone, EVERYONE that I have swtiched gimmicks for have all gone to F- - E- gimmick rating. And I don't understand it. I think it could be that the gimmick rating is partially rated of the first angle the wrestler is on, i.e that angle rating affects the gimmick rating. I can't figure it out if it's something else, it has to be that way. There's no idea else then than that.

[QUOTE=Remianen;181267]I'm testing this out but I THINK having Low 'Comedy' would allow you full usage of gimmicks. With no Comedy, I don't think your audience gives much credence to worker gimmicks. At least that's the common thread I've found.[/QUOTE] You may be right, I took the comedy in my promotion from "Low" to "None" and had some trouble wtih gimmicks after that. But to be fair, I was told my changes were done much too soon (although I hadn't made any before).

• 2 months later...
Gimmicks are hard if you have heavy Cult/Mainstream/risque factors. Risque obviously likes risky gimmicks, but Mainstream doesnt. Mainstream likes Gimmicks that are very obvious. Cult likes gimmicks that are very deep.

I thought mainstream liked unsubtle gimmicks becuase you can channel surf and immediately know "oh, that guys bad, that guys good" I figured high cult = high subtly. Don't forget the difficulty rating as well. Very difficult gimmicks should not be tried by the faint of heart, even if they meet the requirements. I think difficulty also means how easy it is to pull off if you don't meet the min's, but I'm not entirely sure.

I've never had anyone get a high rated gimmick with NOTBPW and I always use the realistic gimmicks since thats what most of the guys already use. e.g. I had Shooter Sean Deeley using the Legitimate Athlete gimmick his first segment was a B rated match with Tim Westybrook and his gimmick gets rated an E+ I figure gimmicks don't matter all that much in a promotion like NOTB anyway since the fans still love him and it hasn't seemed to effect his match ratings.

[QUOTE=Ping von Erich;181108]Ok, I hire new workers.. I slowly but surely look at their skills sheet where it has letter grades for gimmick types, I look what gimmicks they have high skill in, look through the gimmicks list to find "This worker has all the requirements to use this gimmick." And when they debut they all have D or lower for effectiveness? When some of the workers who were already on the roster and had gimmicks already (gimmicks that when I look they aren't skilled for or have skill in) are B, B+, A, etc. Am I missing something?[/QUOTE] Remember that it also depends on the fans (some fan bases don't want to see gimmicks in the first place), some gimmicks are harder to pull off than others (the difficulty rating). and you need to match up the disposition (no point in giving someone a heelish gimmick if they are a face).

In PGHW and 5SSW, gimmick don't seem to mather anyhow. Some have F--gimmicks, and still produce to their matches of the quality you'd expect from someone with their talent. Maybe it has a negative effect on popularity, but that doesn't matter anyhow in Puro.

The mod maker extraordinaire is checking into it for me, but anyone else have any insight? I've had to just set everyone to gimmick None instead. Which is a shame since there are some characters in CZW. It's obviously a Product thing, but I don't know enough about how the combinations can affect stuff to the extent it has

I did the same and gave my guys 'none' for thier gimmick, some get rated a C some still get rated E, but like I said it hasn't seemed to effect the match ratings or anything. TIP : If you play as NOTB never change any of the starting rosters gimmicks! damned if I know how they got any rated above a C :confused:

Pre 1.3 i noticed that most of my gimmicks failed, post 1.3 it seems to work out much better...dunno if that was something altered by the patch or not. I'd say don't worry about them. Unless you're playing a SE fed, gimmicks aren't that important, imo. Whatever penalty a bad gimmick has woudl quickly be offset by putting on some good matches.

Archived