EA strikes again ...........

Pacersfan46

Even though I'm sure this wasn't an issue for the game, just something I thought was related. If you guys feel it isn't, feel free to move this elsewhere, but here goes ....... [URL=http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8022/CLC-Grants-EA-Exclusive-College-Football-License/]EA Strikes Again .......[/URL] [I]The Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC) announced today an exclusive licensing relationship with Electronic Arts to develop, publish and distribute interactive college football games. The six-year agreement gives EA the exclusive rights to the teams, stadiums and schools for use in its best-selling college football videogames. The agreement is for all videogame consoles including console online features and handheld devices. The first title under the new contract, NCAA Football 2006, is scheduled for release this summer. Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed. [/I] Sickening ... I say .....

[QUOTE=streetballer67]The problem is that without competition will they continue to?[/QUOTE] That's doomcrier nonsense, imho. You keep hearing that over and over, but I seriously believe it's parrot speak; someone reads it, and repeats it without thinking. EA has a better track record than most, as far as their sports games. Sure, they are a monolith that is eating everything in sight, but at least they leave quality in their wake (in general). Besides, the second EA starts resting on its laurels, I'm sure the NFL will be kicking them in the keister. The sheer number of NFL players that are fans of that Madden series would ensure that, I'd bet.

[QUOTE=mikey1294]Well I guess the only good part about EA doing all this is at least they put out the best sports games.[/QUOTE] I disagree... They do football pretty well, but their hockey, basketball and baseball games over the years have been mostly junk.

[QUOTE=D. Boon's Ghost]That's doomcrier nonsense, imho. You keep hearing that over and over, but I seriously believe it's parrot speak; someone reads it, and repeats it without thinking. EA has a better track record than most, as far as their sports games. Sure, they are a monolith that is eating everything in sight, but at least they leave quality in their wake (in general). Besides, the second EA starts resting on its laurels, I'm sure the NFL will be kicking them in the keister. The sheer number of NFL players that are fans of that Madden series would ensure that, I'd bet.[/QUOTE] I have to agree with the other guy. I haven't played any major sport-based game from EA I've actually liked since the mid Genesis era. That was a basketball game and even there I had issues with its handling of 3-pointers. The only Madden version I ever remember being really happy with was the 89 PC original. Heck, I doubt I'd be dropping any money into EA's coffers at all were there another way to get my Sims fix. Been too hooked on that franchise for too long. And I don't think this is just parrot speak. EA swallowing up all these exclusive licenses can't be good for the sports game market. Resting on one's laurels is the natural inclination of a monopoly. It may not happen right away. But eventually it does happen. Look at the direction WWE has gone since gobbling up the boys in Atlanta. Look at what passes for service from your cable provider or your phone company. All the gripes from computer users about Microsoft's lack of proper debugging. The evidence of what happens when monopolies get hold of products or services is easy to find. It may be a while in happening. But it's hard to imagine EA being any different.

[QUOTE=Danny Drickman]I disagree... They do football pretty well, but their hockey, basketball and baseball games over the years have been mostly junk.[/QUOTE] Danny have you try MVP 2005 by EA. its really solid this year. Highly recommend it for the PC.

[QUOTE=D. Boon's Ghost]That's doomcrier nonsense, imho. You keep hearing that over and over, but I seriously believe it's parrot speak; someone reads it, and repeats it without thinking. EA has a better track record than most, as far as their sports games. Sure, they are a monolith that is eating everything in sight, but at least they leave quality in their wake (in general). Besides, the second EA starts resting on its laurels, I'm sure the NFL will be kicking them in the keister. The sheer number of NFL players that are fans of that Madden series would ensure that, I'd bet.[/QUOTE] Well what is their motivation? I'm certainly hopeful that they will continue to put out an excellent product but I just don't have much faith that they will.

[QUOTE=streetballer67]Well what is their motivation? I'm certainly hopeful that they will continue to put out an excellent product but I just don't have much faith that they will.[/QUOTE] Motivation= increased market share = $$$$$$$ Plus no one can undercut their prices anymore with the same product ie Liscensed Pro games. If you want pro players, teams and stadiums than you will pay their price. No more $19.99 alternative.

[QUOTE=Danny Drickman]I disagree... They do football pretty well, but their hockey, basketball and baseball games over the years have been mostly junk.[/QUOTE] Yes I agree with ya on this one. I do think they are the best at making football games. But like jbmagic said they have a pretty solid baseball game this year. Its weird that they can make such great games without competion such as madden 2005 and ncaa 2005, there was not another college football game that was made and the other pro football games weren't that great compaired to madden. But when it comes to other sports such as baseball, basketball, and hockey they are just right their with the compatition.

[QUOTE=Meat]Motivation= increased market share = $$$$$$$ Plus no one can undercut their prices anymore with the same product ie Liscensed Pro games. If you want pro players, teams and stadiums than you will pay their price. No more $19.99 alternative.[/QUOTE] I can't tell if you are arguing or agreeing with me, but your statements are definetly in favor of the latter.

[QUOTE=mikey1294]Well I guess the only good part about EA doing all this is at least they put out the best sports games.[/QUOTE] I disagree. As for the PC games they (EA) are the only ones who put out "graphic style" sport games. Saying that EA puts out better sports games is way over-stated imo. FOF is better than Madden in terms of realism and simulation. OOTP is better than MVP on those same terms. Can't forget SI's games and GDSs' TPB either, all of which all out do EA's games - by a large margin.

. ****ing EA. This is why I hate EA and will never buy a game from them, again. I have been burned one to many times by their horrible products they try to pass off as games. NCAA football was horrible this year, Madden is going downhill, and they ruined NASCAR gaming.

Eh, EA is average at best. I used to enjoy Madden, but switched to ESPN football game-wise last year. Basketball game-wise, they rule. I've played ESPN's version of it, and I like it, but I just can't seem to get into it. Now baseball, ESPN friggin' blows.

• 2 weeks later...
Sad thing is that since Madden adopted the multiple icons for passing, its not changed its passing mode in terms of game engine. I want a realistic passing mode where a DL can't run down the ball, or where all four DB's can converge on the ball! ESPN's somewhat better but still suffers from the DB aspect but sadly, they or anyone else will not be able to improve upon their game engine :( So I've made the choice [b]NOT[/b] to purchase any more EA published games untill they break their monopoly on NFL licienced games.

989 did provide competition -- but I thaink ESPN move into games is causing this current movement -- But I wonder if some of the major schools will want a bigger share (or conferences) - Would you buy the game with NO Big 10 (11- they could never count) NO Notre Dame, ???? This is like that SF leftfielder in my fantasy leagues.

989 provide competition .... HA! 989 Sports games are horrible. They should have disbanded that group years ago. After their one, and only good football game. Also, ESPN didn't "move" into sports games, they just stuck their name on Sega's sports games.

Archived