Recruiting Frustration

[QUOTE=liontamer;185319]2 questions. 1) If you only recruit say 10 players and only get 1 of them, will the computer still have some extras coming your way or are you screwed with just the guy you recuited and maybe the email guy?[/quote] Its rare that I have players make me wait until the final week before turning me down. Usually I start seeing the ones I'm not going to get sign elsewhere in the third week of recruiting and the 5th and 6th weeks are where the most action is. That's why I almost always have a back up player that I'm giving a recruiting pitch to. If my first choice signs elsewhere in week 3, I can offer his scholarship to another player. Most often I'll get signings for all but 2-3 scholarships. My best example would be the online game I'm playing in. I started with 18 scholarships. In week 3 I got 1 signing, but 2 5 star players I wanted went elsewhere, so those scholarships were then offered to 3 star players in the same positions. Week 4 brought me a WR, but I lost a DT I really wanted, and searched my recruit pitches to find another DT that I'd been recruiting since week 1, but didn't offer a scholarship to. I'll know better after Tuesday, but most likely I'll get 3-4 signings per week for the next 3. (game weeks are run on Tuesday and Saturday in this league) [QUOTE=liontamer;185319]2)I've nticed that when I scout the sales pitches suggested in email often don't match the ones when I click on the player. which should I follow?[/QUOTE] the suggestions are just suggestions based on your recruiting coordinators best guess. The scouting is more sure. I've seen that usually the e-mail suggestions are only getting one of the two on a Very Important topic. But usually I've already put together my pitches on week one so the scouting doesn't do me much good.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
normally I just let the cpu recruit for me since I'm new to the game, sometimes I start the process and let it finish. Even after 2-10 seasons c/ akron I generally get a few 3-4 potential players. Well I followed some of the advice above and guess I got the answer to my earlier question..... following a 7-5 season including two blowout wins, finishing ranked in the top 50, I landed 0 transfers and a single recruit who was 1 star w/ a potential of 1.5. that hurts

[QUOTE=liontamer;185484]normally I just let the cpu recruit for me since I'm new to the game, sometimes I start the process and let it finish. Even after 2-10 seasons c/ akron I generally get a few 3-4 potential players. Well I followed some of the advice above and guess I got the answer to my earlier question..... following a 7-5 season including two blowout wins, finishing ranked in the top 50, I landed 0 transfers and a single recruit who was 1 star w/ a potential of 1.5. that hurts[/QUOTE] interesting. I've used the same system with team at 40 prestige and teams at 70 prestige and while I'll admit I get more 5 star recruits at 70 prestige I've never had a year as bad as you describe. I always land the recruit who e-mails me that he wants to come and then usually get 7-10 recruits who are better than him.

question.... you're supposed to use the pitches the scouts give right? well what about instances like "prestige is very important" when your prestige is 20s or 30s? do you still pick that? or what about "location is very important" if they are from the other side of the country? still wise to pick location?

[QUOTE=liontamer;185625]question.... you're supposed to use the pitches the scouts give right? well what about instances like "prestige is very important" when your prestige is 20s or 30s? do you still pick that? [/quote] What are his top 10 schools and what are their prestige levels? He could have prestige very important, but he could be thinking that he wants a lower prestige school cause he wants to start right away. [quote]or what about "location is very important" if they are from the other side of the country? still wise to pick location?[/QUOTE] are all the schools close to each other? Sometimes I player from Wisconsin grew up in California and wants to go back for college. Also most of the time I use location for the guy that emails me. Since usually he seems to have chosen my school cause his girlfriend did or because his dad went to my school. But again, I often don't get a chance to look at those e-mails. I tend to guess on the first day and start my pitch before I can get scouting reports back. I don't always get the most important pitch, but I get a very important one about 70% of the time.

What I find most frustrating and next to impossible is recruiting with a team that is in a major conference but has a really low presitige (Below 30). I can recruit and sign guys that have interest between 8-10 without a problem. The problem is they are always 1-2 star players. That level of player just can't compete in the major conferences and so far I haven't found a way to break the cycle. Even when I pick up a transfer or 2 it isn't enough to offset the fact that I play in a conference where the average player rating is 10-12 (sometimes more) while my average player rating is 7-9. I don't think that conference prestige has any impact on the types of recruits that show intrest in your program. Otherwise, you would think that playing in a major conference would at least get you a few 3 star guys that show some interest at the start of recruiting. I've found that you have to prestige rating of at least 40 or more to get any interest from 3 star recruits.

[QUOTE=liontamer;185625]question.... you're supposed to use the pitches the scouts give right? well what about instances like "prestige is very important" when your prestige is 20s or 30s? do you still pick that? or what about "location is very important" if they are from the other side of the country? still wise to pick location?[/QUOTE] I don't really know the answer to this, but I have seen guys interest drop in some situations like that. What I have settled on is, scout the guy week 1, and whichever of the two recruiting pitches your scouts recommend, go with the one that fits you best.

[QUOTE=mvargus;185293] First, players are much more impressed if you start the recruiting pitch on the first week Second, players are much more impressed if you offer a scholarship the first week.[/QUOTE] Then why do they have 10's for interest to start, stay at 10 for interest, and get listed as Top One in the emails on the 2nd and 3rd weeks? I'm frustrated by the fact that the information that the game is giving me doesn't seem to match the responces. If I'm recruiting poorly have it show in the responce of the recruits. [QUOTE=mvargus;185293] Third, you are trying to recruit way to many players.. 2) Rather than try to chase all the 3 star and above recruits. Look at what positions you need to fill and what kind of player you want. Speed, Possession or Balanced wR, West Coast, Drop Back, Mobile or Balanced QB, etc. Then look for the 2-3 recruits with high interest that also fit your style of play. If you are running pure Smash Mouth, you might be more interested in that blocking FB than a higher interest receiving FB. You need to recruit for who will best fit. The players do seem to react to this. [/QUOTE] I think that is a matter of opinion. In my latest career I've had 20 scholarships to fill for the past couple of years. From experience I know that I have to actively recruit at least twice that many players to get a class full of 4 star players (a few 3's and maybe a 5). Other then QB, RB, K, and P I'm basically looking for at least one of everything each year. Sure I"ll go with fit over stars but I have not found that to be a big factor. Especially if I'm looking at the first week of scouting prior to the assesment of skills. [QUOTE=mvargus;185293] 3) Players react to who you've already signed. If you sign a 3 star QB and have a good sophomore and senior on your roster that 5 star you really want might decide to go to a lower prestige school. Decide who you want on your team and offer them the scholarships. Your second choice players should receive recruiting pitches, but don't offer scholarships unless your first choices signed elsewhere.[/QUOTE] Sure. In fact I was thrilled when I saw that during my season with the demo. I was recruiting 2 QB's (one was an athlete that looked like a RB conversion). As soon as I signed the first guy the QB/RB guy dropped his interest from 10 to 3. In fact, that's a key data point as to why I'm frustrated. In that case the game gave me clear feedback. But, after many more recruiting seasons, I've decided that was a rare case. Instead I see guys sign elsewhere even through every bit of info says they love me.

Another thing to look at are his top ten schools. He may be telling you you are the top school, but he may be saying the same thing to all schools. If all of the schools in his top ten are green, he might sign with any one of them. The thing to remember is, it is very realistic; although frustrating. I've worked as a recruiter for my college and some kids will tell you what you want to hear, even if it's a flat out lie. Others will not make a decision until the last possible second, it's extremely frustrating, but it happens all the time.

a few more questions...... I've noticed that when a person I'm trying to recruit signs with someone else their interest in me goes up and I can still recruit and offer scholarships. why is it going up and why can I still offer them stuff, is there a possiblity they'll change their commitment? next, I've read that if the person has an '(A)' next to their position that you can move them to other positions do to their athleticism. How? And last, when I get transfers (yes I finally got some) it says on the roster that I can remove the redshirt and lose a year of eligability, but I can't get it to work. is there a reason? also, an FYI for bad recruiters, if you fail to sign many people while recruiting it will fill up the roster for you afterwards. I got 3 recruits last time and my roster still went from 60 to 77 afterwards. Now the extras weren't any good, probably all 1 star, but then again I have a 26 prestige so it's not unrealistic. not sure how good they'd be if I was a bigger program.

1) I'm not sure what's happening here, never seen this myself. 2) You can move any player to any position (except K and P). If they have an (A) next to their name in recruiting, that just means they are very athletic and have abilities that are good for other positions (e.g. QB that can run or catch well, DB that has good hands or route running, LB that has good running ability). 3) Transfers have to sit out a year, no matter what. So if you got a sophomore that had already been redshirted, he will have to sit out a year and you only get him for his Junior and Senior years.

[QUOTE=udlb58;187089] 2) You can move any player to any position (except K and P). If they have an (A) next to their name in recruiting, that just means they are very athletic and have abilities that are good for other positions (e.g. QB that can run or catch well, DB that has good hands or route running, LB that has good running ability).[QUOTE] how though, just put them their on the depth chart or....?

just a random observation it seems recruiting is more important than offering the scholarship. I've noticed by repeating the same recruiting over and over that if I wait too long or skip the recruiting altogether, even the email guy won't come despite my offering a scholarship in week 1

[QUOTE=mvargus;185348]Its rare that I have players make me wait until the final week before turning me down. Usually I start seeing the ones I'm not going to get sign elsewhere in the third week of recruiting and the 5th and 6th weeks are where the most action is. That's why I almost always have a back up player that I'm giving a recruiting pitch to. If my first choice signs elsewhere in week 3, I can offer his scholarship to another player. Most often I'll get signings for all but 2-3 scholarships. [/QUOTE] really, I don't usually get anyone to sign at all until the second to last week with the possible exception of my email guy. Most people don't start turning me down until the last 3-4 weeks, so all that time I have the offer out there taking up money. I am getting better though, I landed a 500 and 700 guy with Akron [was 10-3 (7-2) and a transfer who won the bednarik and (2x)butkus awards] and one of them is 4.5 stars so that will help down the road. Last season [after going 5-7 (3-5)] I also got a 700 player.

[QUOTE=udlb58;187304]You can change a player's position from the team roster page any time during camp, maybe even during the season also. The option is at the bottom of the page.[/QUOTE] I think the only way to change a player's position during the season is by using the player editor.

[QUOTE=heywood63;187773]I think the only way to change a player's position during the season is by using the player editor.[/QUOTE] editor? is that something extra I need to download? also, is there any way to can your AD? mine stinks. I've gotten akron to 35.6 prestige (up from 25) in 5 yrs, had a player win three awards and am 2 for 2 in bowl games, and I lost budget again after going 10-3 the last 2 seasons. He's orange for everything according to the team info screen. I could just go to a different team, but I like the challenge of sticking with this one and want to take it as far as I can go, see if I can make it elite

thanks for the pic. I didn't even know that screen existed. As for recruiting, I've been steadily improving, here's what I do that you can try if you're still having issues (remember I've been beetween 25-36 prestige the whole time and generally had a crappy budget with everything near minimal values, but I'm getting lots of 3-4 star potential players) 1)when you're at the very bottom look for transfers. Keep trying to land them, all you need is one and generally you won't get anymore so once you land one you can stop wasting recruiting money offering scholarships. Now that I've got my program going better with regualr recruits I skip this altogether to save money 2)for the first 2-3 weeks scout players. If you click on the top option on the recruiting menu, it will take you to a screen where it shows players 40 times in case you're looking for speed, and sorts them by their interest in you. First find the email guy and scout him, then pick a number between 5 and 7 (I usually go with 6-7) and start recruiting players. they wil be sorted by overall rank winthin the same level of interst so start at the top and work your way down. Given the low prestige, you'll probably want to avoid wasting money recruiting anyone in the top 500-800 depnding on where your at (below 30 prestige, the best I've landed was in the 700s, at 36 prestige I've landed a playe in the 500s). So go through each player one at a time and scout the ones you're intersted in and add them to the watch list. Once you've hit on everybody you want at that interst level that you want then move up one interst level (i.e. from 5 to 6) and start there and just keep scouting until you're ready to move up again. by starting low, you generally are sending pitches to better players and starting your sales pitches early with those you'll need to put more effort on to get. 3) somewhere between week 2 and 4 of recruiting, make your recruit pitches to maybe 15 players or so (players on your watch list that you scouted week 1), offer a scholarship to those you believe wouldn't otherwise sign with you and are the best at their position on your watch list and do more scouting. The longer you wait, the more you players you'll have moeny to scout, but other schools may get a jump on a player you want. As for pitches I use those reccomended by scouts if they are very strong and those reccomended by the coaches if a very strong pitch has not been identified yet from scouting. 4)once you are satisfied with your list of players on the watch list, just spend money recruiting and try to offer one scholarship at each position to the player you want most (sometimes I offer to multiple players if they are close in rank) 5)After a few weeks players will start accepting offers. Regardless of who they accept offers from (meaning you or the cpu teams) take them off your watch list to narrow it down to those your are still pursing. continue recruiting down the line and offering at least one scholarship at each position of need you haven't filled yet or need a second player at. 6)In the last week or two, I tend to have a small list of recruits (meaning 2 to 6) so I spend less effort recruiting those still on my watch list in order to recruit more of them (meaning spending the lowest amount of money I can on them so I can afford to spend on more total players to increase the chance I'll land someone) Following this method my recruiting rank still tends to be around 90-110th, but I have a lot of players with decent potential, who with my good coordinator will develop down the road. I used to get mainly 2.5 and below, now I get mostly three with some 3.5s and 4's mixed in. edit: just for clarification, when scouting, it's not a bad idea to scout and try to recruit the top people from the higher interst groups if they are they type of player you want. It's just that in my experience when you are really low (below 30) you either have no chance of landing them or have no good players that interested. I actually just lucked out and had a player in the 300s as my email guy and he runs a 4.3 40 so that should be nice when I land him (so he's an exception being a very good and signable 10 interest)

I usually don't have a high recruiting class or sign players over 2-stars, but I'm looking at player type (for example, I run a 3-4, so all DEs need above average strength and run stopping) and intelligence, not just overall rank. If a player has less than a 2.2, he's off my watch list automatically; I don't want to waste money on someone who ends up inelligible. You can always add them back to the watch list if they score high enough on the SAT. I may sign a player who is ranked considerably lower, but fits my system better; or I may have plans to move him to another position. My highest recruiting class has been 68, but I'm usually between 105 and 115. But I have risen from 4 prestige to 36 and I'm 61-63 (44-36) and have been to 4 bowls in 10 years. It's frustrating because I get penalized in prestige because my recruiting classes are ranked so low, but they fit my system and we usually win.

[QUOTE=udlb58;187991] But I have risen from 4 prestige to 36 and I'm 61-63 (44-36) and have been to 4 bowls in 10 years. It's frustrating because I get penalized in prestige because my recruiting classes are ranked so low, but they fit my system and we usually win.[/QUOTE] what team started at 4? or did you edit it that way?

ok, I have a recruiting problem of a differnt kind. I went through what was my best recruiting period ever (a 5 star, 6 4 stars and a bunch of 3-3.5 stars) and then advancing to week 18 I got an error (runtime 91 I think, I know the number was right, can't recall the term for sure) and it shut down. I replayed it, had much less success, but still good and I got the same error advancing to week 18. any idea how to fix this?

[QUOTE=Kekkonen;183064]I signed a couple of expensive coaches in my first off-season, so in the 2nd season I was forced to use the cheapest scouting service. According to them, just about every recruit in the nation had yellow for interest towards me. In my current, third season, I'm back with the most expensive guys and I'm again getting the entire scale of interest from recruits. About the running game: a good running back is essential (and don't forget endurance -- even the most awesome runner is of little use if he's always winded after 2 downs). Mix inside and outside runs with surprise passes every now and then, and you can gain a lot of yardage on the ground; power runs can work extremely well if you have a good blocking FB. My only concern is goal-line running; I haven't figured out a way to reliably run the ball in from the 1-yard line even against defenses who otherwise let me run almost at will.[/QUOTE] Speaking of endurance, what's the rule of thumb on this? I've tried using 1:1, like use a guy 80% if he has an 8 endurance on a 1-10 scale and I've also tried various other things and never really see a lot of difference. Just wondering what everyone else's experiences have been. I wish, and this is the only thing I've seen in the game that I would like to see different, you could use a strong running game and TOP to wear a defense down. I don't think I've ever seen a D get worn down going into the 4th quarter even when I have a TOP of 35 minutes or more by the end of the game.

here's the message it's giving me. I pastwed the whole screen cuz I wasn't sure if everything else going blank might indicate something. Also, I've simmed through it a couple of times and it has made it through once or twice (but the people I got stunk so and I know I can do better myself so...), but usually gices the same error [url]http://us.share.geocities.com/othere042/error.bmp[/url] (I took the pic out because I got past it finally and see no pint in wasting my bandwidth since it's alread used up. not as good of a class as before but still decent.)

Archived