Couple of questions

I believe that athleticism can improve somewhat, but it's not really too much to matter a great deal. Workers do improve by being in matches with wrestlers better than them, and the better the other worker, the more the skills improve. Seems kinda obvious, but it does need to be said.

[QUOTE=Akki;182989]Workers do improve by being in matches with wrestlers better than them, and the better the other worker, the more the skills improve. Seems kinda obvious, but it does need to be said.[/QUOTE] It's not obvious because it's not fact. I believe the rate workers develop is based largely on their destiny value. I have yet to see a correlation between workers developing faster because of who they're facing. Workers get opportunities to develop based on their workrate (so more matches = more possible skill increases), NOT based on the quality of opponent. Put Hell's Bouncer in 10 matches with Sean McFly and then put him in 10 matches with ANYONE else and I'm positive you won't see his abilities skyrocket from his matches with McFly. I figure only Adam knows for sure but I know I have the best women's worker in the game on my roster and I haven't seen any proof of skill increases for her opponents being increased as a result of her skill level. If I had, she'd be working 5 matches per show. It's a good sentiment, don't get me wrong, but I've been trying to find common threads to figure out how to develop workers as efficiently as possible (since 05, really) and the only thing I've found is that the more matches they work, the better their development chances.

Remi, since you're the go-to-guy for development-related questions, what about styles? Does a high flying worker develop her high flying skills no matter her opponent? Or will she develop high flying skills if she faces other high fliers, and technical skills if she faces technical wrestlers?

It really depends on the worker's skill level to begin with. Like, I've found that there's a point (used to be B in 05, might be C+/B- in 07) where skill-ups become A LOT more rare. It's a diminishing returns kinda deal. But generally speaking, I haven't found a real connection that allows me to come to that conclusion. For example, in the show I just ran, Otsune Tsumura (high flier) defeated Ginko Kuroda (technician) and got RUMBLE skill increases (and they both suck at rumble skills, relatively speaking: F+, F+, F+ for Otsune, F+, E-, F+ for Ginko). Kiko Sakakibara (all-rounder but strongest in aerial) defeated Namiyo Muro (brawler) and got technical skill increase. BUT, one thing is certain. Every match a worker works, they do get skill increases, even without a road agent note. It might only be 0.1 but it happens. That's what makes me believe it's the destiny value in there somewhere. But I will say that it seems likely that putting a worker with poor Performance skills in a match with a worker with excellent Performance skills, that seems the most likely to get Performance skill increases. But it seems to me, performance skill increases come A LOT faster than rumble/tech/aerial skill increases. It's probably the one thing that vexes me about this game (and 05, to be honest). I haven't seen any way, short of working matches in bunches (which is no longer feasible in 07 due to fatigue), to accelerate a worker's development or even to focus it in any great degree. If I could turn Shiori Jippensha into Thunder Hike just by having her constantly fight Thunder Hike, I'd be all over that like a lizard on a hot rock.

Just my 2 cents worth re Remi's post, and since I'm going to disagree slightly with him, I'll probably be wrong. :p When you get the match note that "X has improved such and such skills" - I have always taken that as he/she has moved up a grade in a skill in that section. When you start a new game, if you look in the editor, you will find that the exact numbers for a lot of people's skills are the highest % before going to the next grade, and that is why, when you have them fight for the first few times in your game that you get a lot of the skill improvement messages. As for whether fighting a flyer will improve the other wrestler in flying etc - I believe it gives them SLIGHTLY more of an improvement if their opponent is highly skilled in a specific skill. eg If you have Sammy Bach (flyer) face Dallas McWade (brawler) then Sammy will gain slightly more in his brawling and hardcore skills than he does in his technical skills, thanks to Dallas being good at only those two skills. It may only be an extra 0.1% on top of the normal skill that he would gain (which in itself may only be 0.1/0.2%) but I believe that the bias IS actually there. Similarly, Dallas would get the extra increase in his flying and flashiness skills. However, as a further note, this also might be influenced by the fact that in my example, each man has shocking skills in the other's area of expertise, so as Remi said, the higher a skill level, the slower the increase will become anyway. So it may be just that, but it might be a mixture of the two things, if any of this makes sense. :D

Makes perfect sense to me. I've always figured that the road agent note is only generated when a worker has a bit of a jump in improvement (like 2% or higher) since, if a road agent note was generated for every increase, it would flood the box and make say 6 man tag matches horrible to read the notes for. :p Perhaps it's when they cross a certain threshold (though it doesn't have to be a letter grade threshold, as I've seen workers improve with a road agent note but still have the same letter value). At this point, I just make sure that every worker I want to develop works on every show I run. That's the best way I've found to have them improve. Putting them in matches with superior workers might help, I've just never seen it be a silver bullet type effect. One thing I'm testing now is whether allowing workers to call their own matches offers a better chance of them increasing their performance skills quicker. So, say putting Sakura Sada in a match with Kiko Sakakibara and letting them call it in the ring, whether Sakura would learn anything about match design from that rather than having Sensational Ogiwara script the match for them.

The Road Agent notes only occur when a worker jumps beyond certain thresholds... And I'm pretty confident that the majority of improvements of indiviual workers stats are actually far more simple to predict than anybody is seeing or acknowledging right now. Seems like everyone wants to hunt for some complex relationship and people appear to be missing the obvious...

Sorry to throw this question in here, but it seems to be from the same degree than the original one. Which stats CAN actually improve? I've had my player character have D- in reffing, but even though he works one match each show, he doesn't improve in the slightest. And can MMA improve by doing shoots in a cage? In practise, shouldn't it improve when they are put in a true MMA environment? On topic: I guess there are some certainties we're better off not knowing. We can't over-analyse the game, can we? If we can calculate everything, it won't be so fun. :)

[QUOTE=Blackman;183436]Which stats CAN actually improve? I've had my player character have D- in reffing, but even though he works one match each show, he doesn't improve in the slightest. And can MMA improve by doing shoots in a cage? In practise, shouldn't it improve when they are put in a true MMA environment? On topic: I guess there are some certainties we're better off not knowing. We can't over-analyse the game, can we? If we can calculate everything, it won't be so fun. :)[/QUOTE] As far as I know, MMA can never be improved by any means. There is no 'true MMA environment' in TEW. So that would be one. I dunno how athleticism can be improved though I'd guess it can go down (as a result of injury, perhaps). Toughness is the same thing. I don't know if that's able to be improved. Power can be improved but it takes so long, it's not even worth worrying about to me. And it comes down to playstyle. Personally, if I can calculate everything, then I'd know how to accomplish that which I wish to accomplish. I'm in the business of worker development so it's my main focus in playing. If I wanted to go to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame but I had no idea where Cleveland was, I'd be very happy when I learned and eventually went there. My desired destination is workers achieving their (destiny value determined) potential. Booking is a means to that end, not the end itself. But that's just me. "Over-analysis" is subjective, after all.

If that's your true focus then I guess you are right. But I just meant Adam doesn't have to reveal every line of programming. Speculation is healthy, nontheless. On a sidenote: Then what do the Hyper Realism-promotions represent irl? I thought it was supposed to be UFC or something, is it some kind of 'fake' MMA then? Or is it just a preference of styles, an integrated form? And about their potential limit. I first thought the game sported a level of competence and improvement. When looking at other sport management games you notice their talent is granted a number (1-9) for potential. This determined their maximum potential. But this 'sport' is different indeed. Some things I guess are tough to accomplish due to athletic requirements or something. So basically, potential is unlimited? (that is given the proper amount of matches)

[QUOTE=Blackman;183506]If that's your true focus then I guess you are right. But I just meant Adam doesn't have to reveal every line of programming. Speculation is healthy, nontheless. On a sidenote: Then what do the Hyper Realism-promotions represent irl? I thought it was supposed to be UFC or something, is it some kind of 'fake' MMA then? Or is it just a preference of styles, an integrated form?[/QUOTE] Promotions like INSPIRE are "worked shoots", if I remember right. [QUOTE=Blackman;183506]And about their potential limit. I first thought the game sported a level of competence and improvement. When looking at other sport management games you notice their talent is granted a number (1-9) for potential. This determined their maximum potential. But this 'sport' is different indeed. Some things I guess are tough to accomplish due to athletic requirements or something. So basically, potential is unlimited? (that is given the proper amount of matches)[/QUOTE] No, potential isn't unlimited in the literal sense. That's where the destiny value comes in. In one game, a worker may be able to 'get a lot better at technical skills' and in another game, they could be 'reaching their peak in technical skills'. Basically, from game to game, many things about workers can change based on what's called their 'destiny value'. Things like worker chemistry as well as worker ultimate skill caps and overness caps, all hinge on that value. Now, while it's possible to "bust" a worker's skill and overness caps, to my knowledge, it's not possible to change chemistry. But it is possible to give a worker literally limitless potential, if you so choose.

[QUOTE=Blackman;183506]If that's your true focus then I guess you are right. But I just meant Adam doesn't have to reveal every line of programming. Speculation is healthy, nontheless. On a sidenote: Then what do the Hyper Realism-promotions represent irl? I thought it was supposed to be UFC or something, is it some kind of 'fake' MMA then? Or is it just a preference of styles, an integrated form? And about their potential limit. I first thought the game sported a level of competence and improvement. When looking at other sport management games you notice their talent is granted a number (1-9) for potential. This determined their maximum potential. But this 'sport' is different indeed. Some things I guess are tough to accomplish due to athletic requirements or something. So basically, potential is unlimited? (that is given the proper amount of matches)[/QUOTE] I think everyone has their own limit to their development. Some will cap at a B for brawling perhaps whereas others will go all the way. If that holds true, I'm not sure if its randomly generated or if it is derived from a calculation based on the worker's stats. I think Hyper Realism is just an even stricter adherence to reality, I'm sure somebody else cuold cite an example but alas, I cannot. EDIT: Beaten to it and I knew somebody would have an example :)

[QUOTE=Blackman;183506]So basically, potential is unlimited? (that is given the proper amount of matches)[/QUOTE] No. There is some kind of "skill cap" system in place where workers will only improve in certain areas to a certain extent, this is probably linked to a number of factors (though most likely the destiny value is the biggets influence) and it certainly changes game to game. It's also worth noting that the caps appear to be "fuzzy" this time round...

Archived