GCA: A New Golden Age

It’s June 2008, and the wrestling world is in a sharp decline. In the space of eight months, 6 promotions have closed down, blaming mounting financial issues and pure disinterest from their respective fan bases. The deaths of World Level Wrestling, Warrior Engine XXV, JEF, 5 Star Supreme Wrestling, Golden Canvas Grappling and Ring Of Fire have left a hole in the wrestling world. Having run 21CW for the previous calendar year, up until my voluntary resignation in January, I wanted to fix the world. When Jeff Nova gave me my chance to run 21CW, I took it and I made the company a critical success. Granted, I lost half of the promotion’s money, but that was partially to do with Nova’s insistence to remain on TV. With all the good I was doing for the promotion, after making stars out of Joss Thompson, Johnny Breeze (Joey Beauchamp for the European crowd) and Travis Cool, there was no way I wanted to be responsible for the death of yet another much needed and loved wrestling company. So, I, the 18 year old kid who had been given the job of a lifetime, quit the company. An 18 year old kid who had connections to Jeff Nova and nothing else gave up his one and only chance. Or did he? The wrestling world was still under serious strain and threat of a slow, morbid death. And I want to change that. I want to reinvent professional wrestling - I want to make a statement. Because we, the fans, we know what we want, and it doesn’t involve Giant Redwood Power Bombing the hell out of a midget for example. We, the fans, want [I]wrestling[/I]. We, the fans, want competition between two guys who purely want to knock the other guy out, and win honour and glory. And so as I boarded the plane to meet investors in Japan to pitch my new idea, I started to believe that this could revolutionise the sport of pro wrestling. This 18 year old kid could reignite the flame that has all but gone from the sport.

Archived