The Rise of a Phoenix

So.... having to make Eiji Ezaki born 2 years earlier than IRL to pop him into the DotT setting. I'm going to do a Dynastied Career with him... see how long the legend of the Firebird will really go (and if he's really so jinxed he'll break his neck once again) This means he'll actually be starting off his Career as 15, instead of 23 as he actually did I now implore upon you, oh great and knowledgable being who gather here in your greatness... help me with the guy's stats. Here's my out-of-hand take: Style: choose super-junior since that was a lot of what he did... but really should be brawler/psychopath/spot monkey/technician/luchadore/super junior since he was just all over the place Spirit: 10 (fresh into the business) Power: 20 (Considering he was using moves such as Urenage slam (Power 45), Thunder fire Powerbomb (Power 55) and the Emerald Fusion (which I can't find in either the Default or DotT data), he'd need to have a decent base to start out with here. Technique: 35 (again, he was using moves such as Dragon Suplex (Tech 60) in his prime) Speed: 45 (seeing as he went on to become a semi-legendary flyer, I'd think he would have had some kind of natural disposition toward flying... Shooting Star Press (Speed 85) and Phoenix Splash/Sky Twister Press (Speed 80) Stamina: I'm at a loss here... around 40 ish? I don't think Hayabusa was particularly known for his stamina, but nor for getting gassed Toughness: Decent, not incredibly high yet, but poential to? 55ish? he went on to wrestle some pretty grueling matches later on Charisma: oh boy... well he really connected with the crowd once he got into his Hayabusa gimmick, but before that he really wasnt that special. 30-35 maybe? Microphone: Again... later on he was good, but never fantastic... this early on he'd be bound to not be that great.... 20 ish? Looks: he did have a good look... both as Hayabusa and as H... Lyger is pegged at 73 and Hayabusa was marginally less cool than him... so I'm thinking 65-70? Respect: at this time, nobody cares... respect 0... pay your dues dammit! Psychology: Hayabusa had a decent grasp... he never told epic tales of greatness in the ring, but once he got going I think he had the basics pretty well down... at this point... 20-30ish maybe? Safety: Well... love Hayabusa as I might, the Lionsault that broke his neck wasn't exactly his first ****-up.... he did get a little sloppy from time to time... safety 15. Hoping to improve with time Business skill: well he did found and run WMF for a while, but it never went that well... business skill around 20 maybe Booking Skill: WMF wasn't BRILLIANT but not bad either... I think he had a hand in some of the later FMW booking as well... so 40ish? Oh yeah... DUH! and Overness starts at Zero, naturally... Really hoping for some feedback on these stats so I can get started on making the Phoenix,

When looking at an 'exceptionally talented' rookie, I'd look at someone like Shawn Michaels/Muta/etc. in the DOTT database. Considering that Super Juniors (and every style) has built-in stat caps, I set up Michaels to an 'ideal'. Some stat possibilities: STR - I'd start him in the 30s range, as that's a good 'weak' number, yet will allow some growth. 20 just might be too low, considering the cap that will spring up eventually. Tech - I'm not sure of the man's history (where did he train, did he have family in the business, etc.), but 35 might be a tad too low. Again - the built-in stat cap might bite your Super Junior in the butt. I can not remember the range where those Juniors stop advancing, but I'd probably start Ezaki at around the rookie Mutah level: around the mid 40s. Everything else sounds good for a promising rookie. As far as moves... You'll probably have to copy some of the moves that are close. I gave Muta both the Inverted Indian Deathlock and the Achilles Tendon Hold, which can both be used as a base for that Sicklehold, of you want. The STF is in, though, as the 'Step Over Face Lock'. Good Luck! While I don't know the guy, it will be cool to follow how you build him up. Just dont break his neck! ;)

Thank you very much for your reply... I'll work in that direction... Final version of Eiji Ezaki, the man to be the future Hayabusa, will be up in a while to start off this EDIT: Just checked "Inverted Indian Deathlock". According to its description it IS the sickle hold

Diary Monday - Week 1 - August 1983 So this is what will serve as my diary in the upcoming months, hopefully years. As for me... my name i Eiji Ezaki, and my goal is to be a wrestler. Well... actually I already am a wrestler. Although I had to fake my ID. I'm officially 17 years now, even though that's actually 2 years ahead of my real age. But otherwise I would not be allowed to wrestle. I've been to a couple of Dojos for evaluation (again with my fake ID) and they said I was very talented and had great potential. I only hope so, because currently I don't really feel equipped to take on the top guys right now. A lot of the really good moves I know, and have plans to use, are outside of my grasp right now. I know them, but I'm simply not good enough to get them in, in a match yet. Anyway I have to run. I have an appointment with my fitness-trainer and my sensee about my training and then I have to meet with an agent my Sensee had me contact, who might be able to get me booked on some shows. I'll fill in more later today or maybe tomorrow...

Monday - Week 1 - August 1983 (continued) Ok so I just got home again. both my fitness instructor and Sensee say my training is coming along nicely and I should be seeing some results within a few months in most areas. My Sensee is, however a little concerned about my style. He believes I should be more careful, or else I will injure myself or others. And it seems that my training is not really producing much in the way of progress there. I spoke for a while with Sensee on this matter, and he said that I would learn in the ring. That the more experienced of those I would face, would take care of me, and in turn I would learn how to protect myself and others. The Agent got me in contact with a company called "Universal Pro Wrestling" and they agreed to put me on their shows as an opener. They will be paying me 20$ per appearance for the next 3 months. They actually offered me 6 months, but I thought it better to only accept 3 and then re-evaluate my position by then. Something they agreed to. I might have been able to get booked other places as well, according to the Agent. But that would mean I would have to leave Japan and travel to either Europe or America. It sounds very exciting and I am sure I can learn much from this, but I do not think I am ready for that yet. Maye when I am a little older. Unfortunately my savings only amount to 2000$ so I might be forced to travel overseas to get bookings, before I wish to do so, if only to keep myself economically stable. But I hope that if I work hard and diligently I will begin making enough money here in Japan, and possibly even get booked by one of the larger companies, so that I can stay here for the time being. Will have to talk to Sophie tomorrow, and see what my schedule is. She is really so sweet and helpful, I would be lost trying to keep track of these things myself. That is all for now Eiji Ezaki

Tuesday - Week 1 - August 1983 Ok so today I met with Sophie-chan. We went over the schedule. This really looks bad. I'm going to be wrestling every tuesday, wednesday and saturday, and I am going to be on TV, so that's good. That way if I work hard enough I will be noticed and maybe get my shot elsewhere. I will be making 240$ per month this way. Which is ok. Not breaking even, but ok for now. Unfortunately this company only runs until September, then they stop for a month. And they also do not do shows at all in February, March and April, which will be really bad for me. I spoke on the telephone with Sensee on this. He said I would have to leave Japan, which made me very sad. But he told me he would help me. And two hours later he called me back. He had spoken to a man named Stu Hart, who runs a company called "Calgary Stampede Wrestling" in Canada. It certainly is a long way from home, but Sensee said it would be alright and that they would take good care of me there. I am so grateful. Without my Sensee I don't know if I could ever have a chance of making it in this business. Sensee told me that he had already made the arrangements for me. I would be getting paid 20$ per show, just like here at home, and I would be working as an opener for them also. So now my schedule is that on the months where Universal Pro Wrestling is touring I will work them on Tuesdays, and Saturdays. And I will be wrestling in Canada on Thursdays and Fridays. Both companies do shows on Wednesday, and I still do not know who I will work for there... when the time comes I shall ask Sensee which is the most sensible. But I do hope that he advises me to stay here. The more time I can spend in Japan right now, the better. This new schedule means I will be making much better money. Still not breaking even, but I am confident that I will prove my worth and get paid more eventually. I made it out to 400$ per month as long as UWF is running shows... very good I think, for rookie like me. Tomorrow I will write about my first match, I am so excited. Eiji Ezaki

The Back Cradle Piledriver looks more like the Cryptonite Crunch to me the Emerald Fusion/Frosion I'm thinking about, could be described as a side Bodyslam Driver (which I made it as, for lack of a better, from the bodyslam driver already in the default moveset) And thank you very much on the STF, I completely missed it somehow

Wednesday - Week 1 - August 1983 So yesterday I worked on my first show. Wow it was such an experience. When I got there, I went to talk to the owner, Hisashi Shinma. Shinma-san told me I would be fighting another rookie, Ken Shamrock. Knowing this I felt pretty safe as I went about the locker room. After all, how bad can it be, if he's a rookie like me, right? When I got backstage I was so excited. I even met big stars such as Tatsumi Fujinami and Genichiro Tenryu! I went around the locker room introducing myself respectfully as I should. I went so far as to ask Fujinami-san if he had any advice for me. And he said I didn't need it, but seemed talented and that I would do fine... I almost lost my composure right there, it was such a great honour. All in all everyone in the locker room were very nice, and all the questions I had were answered and I even picked up a few tips along the way. So I was actually in a very good mood when I went out to the ring to have my match. That didn't last long. I knew from the name, that Shamrock-san was an ai-jin, naturally... but wow. I was not expecting a monster like this. They may have said he was rookie like me, but be looked more like he was going to tear off my arms. So I'm shocked, and right away he tries to headbut me. So I duck and punch him a few times, then I try to get an armwringer on him, to take som control over the match. But he slips out and tries to hit me again, so this time I'm dancing around him trying not to get hit. I grab his other arm, wring it, take him into a hammerlock and then run him into the corner. I try to chop him, but this time it is him who ducks and he puts a headlock on me. He is very skilled for such a monstrous looking man. I get out of the headlock, go behind him and put another hammerlock on him. But again he gets out and tries to kick me in the knee. Luckily I avoid it. So now I'm thinking this is going to be trouble. If I want to walk out of here, I have to start putting in some more hard-hitting offense. So I go with the european uppercut. First one is just fine... but the second one he just catches me, lifts me up and slams me down. And then he puts me right into a head and arm lock. I manage to finally get out of it, so he tries to grab my legs. I manage to get up and behind him and dropkick him in the back. Now I have the advantage again, so I decide to put a dampener on those kicks of his and drive my knee into his leg. I do it twice... just to make sure... and then pick him up. I try to Irish whip him and it just goes all to hell. I accidently bump into referee-san who falls down, and Shamrock-san reverses the whip as I'm distracted. As I come off the ropes he takes revenge and kicks me in the knee. That smarts! Then he tries for a front facelock, but I manage to get out quickly and end up behind him again. Here I put him in a hammerlock, manage to change it out into an arm wringer and then I take him over with a snap suplex. Now I'm thinking I'm starting to have him worn down pretty good, so I pick him up... but he was just playing possum. So he breaks free and puts me in a hammerlock. Then he blasts me with his forearm, in the back and in the back of the head. Then he sends me running with an irish whip, kicks me in the thigh and takes me down with a gutwrench suplex. It all happened very quickly. He pulls and yanks on my knee for what seems like an eternity, then picks me up, headbutts me right down again and goes for the knee again. But this time I manage to trick him and get around him. So I go right back to an arm wringer, then a side spinning kick and then I run the ropes for a charging forearm to bring him down. Only he sidesteps the forearm and kicks me in the thigh instead. Then he grabs me and tries to pull me into some kind of Judo Toss, but I stand firm instead and then jump up and catch him with a Rana. Now here it had gone around 7 minutes, and the fans werent all that interested yet. So I was thinking I needed to do something big to get their attention. So I got to the top rope, and just as he is getting up I come off and nail him with an elbow. The crowd liked that, and even better, it knocked him silly. So I decide to press my advantage. I senton him while he's down. Pick him up and back suplex him, and then slap on the STF. Seems I need to work him over more, though, as he just wouldnt tap. I try for the spinning arm drag, but he just plants his feet and I cant take him over. Instead he grabs my legs and trips me down. I don't know why but he tries to pick me right back up. So I break free and nail him with the Enziguri. Then I try for a basement dropkick, but he quickly rolls out of the way. The match has gone 9 minutes now, and its harder than I thought. I'm really starting to get tired from it. Shamrock-san doesn't look nearly as tired as I feel at this point. This is bad. He quickly trips my leg and tries to go for the knee again, but I manage to block it and get back up. Only to be pulled right into a knee lift and then a headlock. I manage to get out of the headlock though, and try to get this finished. So I jump up and try to kick him in the back of the head. He gets out of the way, puts me in a front facelock, which I also get out of. I try for a sleeper, but he gets his arm under and blocks it, so I try the hammerlock instead, and he gets me off-guard with a forearm. He bodyslams me, then tries to kick me in the face a few times, which I manage to block and get back up. Then just shoots into me, taking me down again, and the process repeats itself, he tries to kick I manage to block and get back up. So instead he puts me in a hammerlock, runs me into the corner and runs up with a knee. I manage to avoid the knee, and as he's staggering I scoop him up and quickly drop him with the Emerald Fusion for the 1 2 3 after 12 minutes. Wow.... Looking back it seems a much more grueling match than it really was. I guess the adrenaline of having my first match was holding me up, because writing it today I still feel the ache from all those kicks to my legs. But anyway. That was my first match ever and my debut in Universal Pro Wrestling. After the match I talked to Shinma-san. He even said he was impressed with me. He said that if he had to grade the match, he would give it a C+ which I think isn't bad at all. I'm headed to the airport in a few hours. Sensee advised me, that I would have a better chance in the long run, by taking wednesdays at this Calgary Stampede place. So that's what I'm going to do. It makes me a little sad to be away from my homeland 3 days a week, but I trust Sensee to know best. He tells me I will get used to the travelling and even grow to like it. We shall see... tonight I wrestle in Canada... Eiji Ezaki

[QUOTE=Angel of Pain]the Emerald Fusion/Frosion I'm thinking about, could be described as a side Bodyslam Driver (which I made it as, for lack of a better, from the bodyslam driver already in the default moveset) [/QUOTE] Oh, in that case it's the Tatsuko Driller, which you'll only have it you downloaded the latest data set update.

Thursday - Week 1 - August 1983 Wrestling an another country is such a different experience. When I got there I found out Bruce-san, the booker, had placed me in a 6 man tag match. My partners were Eddie Gilbert and Johnny Smith... who both seemed nice enough... if a bit odd with their strange mannerisms. As for our opponents... we were facing someone called the Cobra and this really scary madman they called "jason the terrible". And he did look terrible. But still... we might be able to take them. But when I heard the last of our opponents, I was certain we were going to loose. Akira Maeda is a pretty big name back home. He's a tough technician and very dangerous in the ring. Right then and there I made my mind up to attempt to get as much time in the ring with Maeda-san as possible. If we were going to loose, I at least wanted to learn as much as I could from him. Before the match I talked to Maeda-san. He said he was going to be a bit tougher on me, than on the others, to show that he didn't favourise his countrymen. He also said if I coulnd't take that, then I should just quit now. That was like a slap in the face, coming from a renowned wrestler such as him. But I decided to prove him wrong and not only tough it out, but also do my damndest to actually beat him! Once again everyone in the locker room was nice. There were actually quite a few from the Homeland there, and I got a chance to say hi to Hiroshi Hase and Fumihiro Nikura, as well as some of the canadians. Out we went and the bell rang. Watts-san started in against the Cobra. Very back and forth until Eddie Watts managed to hit a backbreaker. From there he just beat up Cobra until Cobra managed to get to the ropes and tag in Jason the Terrible. Jason then beat on Eddie. Eddie tried to make a comeback, but Jason just kept beating on him. So he tagged in Smith-san to get a break. Smith-san surprised Jason with his quickness but Jason just as soon took over again and beat on Smith for a while before tagging in Maeda san. I waved Smith over and tagged in. Now I was going to show Maeda-san what I was made of! I took over on him, showing off the technical holds that Sensee had shown me and kept him off balance with European Uppercuts. But when I tried for the Uraken, Maeda-san caught me in a headlock and it took me a while to work my way out of his grasp as he took me through hold after hold, stretching me and really testing my mettle. So I got out into an arm-wringer and decided it's time to really pull out the stops. So I smashed my elbow into his arm and we start to play rough. Kicks, forearms, suplexes... I was really laying into him. I whipped him into the corner and did a cartwheel and then a kick... he looked groggy so I decided to press even further. The crowd were liking the match, but not really all that caught up in it. I decided it was up to me to change that, once again. This was my first time in a foreign country and I really wanted to make an impression. I went to the top rope, but Maeda-san rushed and caught me there... I managed to kick him away, but he tagged Cobra. So I had to kick him away also... I got down, nailed him with a european uppercut and then a snap suplex. I was starting to get tired now, and Cobra was obviously fresh, so I went over and tagged in Watts-san again. Watts really beat up Cobra. Cobra tried to gain the upperhand a few times but Watts was really just smacking him about. Then suddenly Watts san pulls out a set of brass knuckles, and I feel disgraced to be teaming with him. Luckily Cobra ducks and pulls Watts into a backslide. More luckily Watt's san gets out, so we didn't have to loose over it. Cobra manages to tag out, and in comes Jason the Terrible again. Watts and Jason really have a tough fight, but in the end Jason prevails and a beaten down Watts has to tag in Johnny Smith-san. Johnny comes in like a house on fire and just takes it all out on Jason. He has complete control until he misses an elbow from the top rope and Jason taggs in Maeda-san. Again I call over Johnny-san. Maeda is mine... Maeda is more prepared for me this time, but I'm still so fired up that I manage to get the advantage. After a few failed attempts at getting some bigger moves in on him, I manage to take him over on a german suplex The ref goes down... I'm holding on for dear life... I know Maeda has kicked out of much bigger things in much harder matches... 1 He's struggling... my neck is aching from holding the bridge 2 No... I'm starting to loose my grip... I grit my teeth 3 ..... The ref rang the bell and I let go and sat up... I didn't believe it... I had just done what I had set out to do... I had pinned Akira Maeda I was elated... if I could do this, then anything was possible! After the match Stu said it had been an alright match... he had hoped for it to go a little longer than the 18 minutes it did, and he thought the fans would have liked to see a little more action. But all in all a fair match... a "C" if you will I stayed at a small hotel with some of the other japanese wrestlers. Inkluding Maeda san. He drank a toast to me but otherwise seemed very brooding. He must not like the idea of being beaten by a rookie like me. But I have a feeling somehow, that down the line he will get his chance at a rematch if he wishes to... Well... time for me to hit the gym. I have another match tonight. This Calgary place is really exciting and I'm hoping to take a look around as well before I go to the arena Eiji Ezaki

Thursday - Week 1 - August 1983 (evening) Well I showed up at the arena and looked at the card (Bruce Hart-san showed me where it's put up yesterday). I saw I was teaming with Doug Furnas against the team of Kung Fu and the Cobra. Backstage I saw a few new faces whom I introduced myself to. Most seem nice but I didn't have a chance to talk very long with any of them. Did get the time for a quick conversation with Stu-san though, who gave me some helpful tips. As for the match... I started in the ring against Kung Fu... He was hard to get to grips with, but I eventually managed to wear him down. I was just getting into putting some of my heavier offense on him, when he dodged a kick, hit a fireman's takedown and quickly tagged in Cobra instead. I wasn't exactly tired at that point, but Cobra was still fresher than me, and eventually I had to tag out after taking a couple of monkey flips and a drop kick. Furnas-san proceeded to go in and brutally outwrestle Cobra. It wasn't so much his technique as the sheer power with which he applied every hold. Eventually Furnas started suplexing Cobra around, but Cobra mounted a comeback with a dropkick and a few holds. Cobra tagged in Kung Fu who proceeded to really lay a beating on Furnas. That slingshot kneedrop especially had me thinking it was all over. But Furnas-san managed to tag me in. I got control of Kung Fu pretty quickly. He took over briefly and went for a second rope dropkick, but I caught him with a dropkick of my own as he was coming off the turnbuckle instead. I put him through a couple of holds to wear him down then went for a back suplex. But he countered me and from there on I was struggling for a while as he just kept coming at me with everything he had. I managed to avoid the slingshot knee drop, nail him with a forearm and get him in the STF, but he quickly got to the ropes. I took him down with a rana and tried again, and again he got to the ropes. So I tried for my standing elbow off the top... but he got out of the way and took over. Realising I was starting to get winded I quickly tagged out myself, hoping Furnas-san had recovered enough to handle Kung. He pretty much had, as the two of them went blow for blow. Furnas tried to pull it home with a small package, but failed as Kung Fu was beginning to wear him down again. He got caught with a series of kicks, a dropkick to the face and a legdrop. He picked up Furnas and went for a Enziguri, but Furnas managed to duck it and slap on the figure four leglock. He made Kung Fu submit at 23 minutes. The match was pretty much a "C"... not bad but nothing special either. I wasn't altogether happy with my performance in the match, but there was nothing I could do about it. Ah well... Going to sleep now... tomorrow will bring another day Eiji Ezaki

Friday - Week 1 - August 1983 So... it was friday. Time for the Calgary Stampede TV show. Turns out I must have impressed the Harts with my work, as I was booked on the show in a 1on1 against Kung Fu. I was nervous... it's one thing to wrestle in front of a crowd, but it's something else when you know there are people watching and you can't even see them. I talked to Kung Fu before the match, and he said he was looking forward to it. I was guessing he hoped he'd get an easy victory over this rookie. I was determined to prove him wrong. I beat Akira Maede, I should be able to beat anyone! I came out to the match all fired up... it was as much a fight as a wrestling match. In the end we were both equally beaten, and I thought I had it won when I finally got him with a german suplex. He got out, though and I had to try for a leaping DDT instead, which he countered and finally hit me with a kick to the side of the head around the 17 minute mark... Or so I'm told I'm also told he pinned me... I don't remember. I did'nt wake up till the entire show was over. Not exactly the best of showing for my first night on television... I'm on the plane home now... will be good to see my own country again, although I am definately coming back to Calgary next week again. The people there really are nice and Sensee was right. I'm going to cut this short, as you already noticed, since I'm going to try and get some sleep on the flight home. The doctor in Calgary said I have a minor concussion and that it's nothing to worry about. So I should be alright for my match tomorrow Eiji Ezaki

I'm very much enjoying this. You've got a very good writing style, AoP. Even after only 5 entries, you've managed to portray the character in a way that makes for an interesting read. As mentioned earlier, I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops. That bit about being knocked out cracked me up. :)

Saturday - Week 1 - August 1983 Ah... to be back in Japan.... Actually, as I was wandering around the UWF locker-room (I don't know why Universal Pro-Wrestling call themselves UWF, but who am I to argue) who should I meet but Akira Maeda? We had a brief little chat. He actually said he could see me moving up the card pretty soon to a better spot. I don't think so, I think there is still much hard work and diligence to be done, but it was a very great accolade none the less. As usual the locker room were all nice and very accomodating of my questions. I feel like such a fool bothering all these people, but I understand that it is necessary to learn. I am only happy that so far noone has taken exception to my constant, but respectful, questioning. The match was nothing really to write home about. I was up against Pierre LeFebvre and he didn't impress. I dominated him throughout the match and by the time I hit the Emerald Fusion he had barely touched me... so I decided to give the crowd some value for their money... I went up, waited for him to stand and then nailed him with a missile dropkick. Then I picked him up and did a jumping kick in the back of his head... I think he might come away concussed from that one... I went up again and tried for a flying forearm but he had his wits about him and countered... hmm.. took a bit of a beating after that, and I really must remember not to get too ****y... but in the end I outmaneuvered him and nailed him with another leaping high kick... 1-2-3 in 12 minutes and the first time I'll claim to have had an "easy" match Shinma-san was actually pretty pleased with what I did in the match... he called it "above average... the fans were entertained". Which of course is a great recognition coming from him. So maybe Maeda-san was right... maybe I AM on the way up... one can only hope, as my bank account will not last forever on 20$ per show. Looking forward to my next match, but also happy to have tomorrow and monday off. A little recuperation will do me good. I sat down and realised that I am actually 4 wins to 1 loss... not a bad record... but I doubt that will continue when I move up to face tougher opposition... Eiji Ezaki

Progress from the first week of Eiji Ezaki's Career: Spirit: +8 Technique: +3 Speed: +2 Psychology: +12 Toughness: +2 Microphone: +1 Safety: +3 Respect: +2 Overness Canada: +1 (that loss on TV took something away) Overness Japan: +2 History so far: 4 wins 1 loss AND I made a new friend in Hiroshi Hase, making that my only relationsship so far

Week 2 - August 1983 Ok so I'm going to try and do this diary in weekly installments instead. We'll see how it turns out. First of I have to say... Sunday and Monday were a blast. The weather was still fair so a few friends and I went for a trip to Tokyo... we all had a great time. I had to get home early on Monday though, to get my training it. Not a lot of free time these days really. My friends still don't understand why I'm doing this... but in time, they will, I'm sure. ================================= Tuesday I turn up at UWF and find I'm due for another match against Shamrock-san. Now that I've fought, and beat, him, I'm not so intimidated by him any more. And talking to him backstage I found he's a pretty decent guy actually. Still, he's not one to take lightly, that's for sure. Backstage things went with no great happening. Apart from the fact that I sort of tried to start a converstaion with Shinma-san when I met him, and he pretty much blew me off. Oh well... I guess he was busy, and I should not have bothered him. The match with Shamrock-san was a hard fought contest. I started to get the advantage, and even got in a couple of my highspots, which I think won the crowd over pretty nicely. In the end, I started to get winded, though, and he took advantage of that. It would seem that kicks in the head are to be the bane of me. Because it was with another one of those, that Shamrock-san managed to pin me... at least this time I was still conscious to experience it. But I really felt I was so close to having him at times... =========================================== Wednesday Flight to Canada went great. Less nervous than last time, was actually looking forward to being there again. At the arena everyone was once again nice, and I really felt accepted. This one guy, Al Madril, blew me off. I didn't take it so bad, I was more worried about my match. I was going up against this Leatherface guy... he seemed pretty scary. Not to mention big! And what a hard fought match it was. We started out wrestling pretty head to head in the ring. But after he hit a top rope Axe handle he threw me over the top rope and to the floor. That split my eyebrow and the rest of the match I couldn't really see on more than one eye. We fought around ringside for about 5 minutes, he kept trying to throw he into the ring apron. I decided enough was enough and piledrove him through a table. That kept him down for a while. But still, he came right back and I was starting to despair, it seemed nothing I did to this guy would keep him down! Finally he goes for a sleeper, I manage to get behind him and hit the Leaping High Kick to the back of his head. He slumped like a man shot, and for a moment I was worried I might have knocked him out cold. He started to stir, though, so I quickly rolled him in the ring and covered him. 1-2-3 at 21 minutes, for a pretty decent (C+) match. Not my opponent of choice for another match, this guy was tough... ========================================= Thursday Turn up and I'm teaming with Kerry Brown against Leatherface and Al Madril... I don't know how good Brown-san is, but this may be a big challenge. The match turned out relatively short. I started in the ring with Leatherface, and nothing ever changed from that. We wrestled for a while, then this time I threw HIM out of the ring for a change. He got up outside and I nailed him with a baseball slide, then we fought around ringside. I eventually rammed him into the ring apron as payback, then downed him with a forearm. I rolled him into the ring and tried to pin him, but he was still going strong. About a minute of me trying to put him away with everything I had (He even kicked out of a DDT!) I manage to once again get behind him and land the leaping high kick. Once again he's taken out and I get the 1-2-3 in about 7 minutes. Not my best match ever, from a quality/entertainment view (C) but I managed to prove that my beating Leatherface wasn't just some fluke. ============================================= Friday Time to do Stampede TV again. This time I was teaming with Eddie Watts against Cobra and Johnny Smith. I made a resolution not to loose on television again. It was a pretty long match, and we did pretty well. It was fairly back and forth, but we did keep the overall advantage throughout the match, I think. It ended when I hit the Emerald Fusion on Johnny Smith and went to tag Watts. The referee canceled the tag, as he hadn't seen it, and Smith caught me from behind. I managed to fight him off and hit another Emerald Fusion, and got the pin at the 28 minute mark. (C+) =================================================== Saturday Once again, the flight home Friday night felt great as I actually got a couple of hours sleep. Another pleasant surprise came when I arrived at the UWF arena. I had been booked on TV in another match against Pierre Lefebvre. I made a decision that if he put up as little fight as the last time, I would do my best to impress the crowd. Little did I know what I was getting into. The match went long. Pierre-san put up a better fight than last, but I still resolved to really show what I can do. So I took him outside and we fought all over the place. In fact, I think most of the match happened outside the ring. I am certianly grateful that this comes right before my two-day break. Before the match was over, Pierre and I were both bloody and pretty well beat up. I had to kick out of several leaping piledrivers and get out of more than one sleeper hold. He, on the other hand, kicked out of my leaping back kick, my german suplex, and even my Emerald Fusion once. The second time I managed to hit the Emerald Fusion, it was all over however. I got the pin on him in 60 minutes, and what a grueling affair... (B) I'm soooo glad I don't have to wrestle tomorrow.... Eiji Ezaki

Tuesday - Week 2 - August 1983 Ok, so I realised that doing an entire week at a time is too much. So it's back to one day at a time. My downtime was spent just training and recuperating from the 1 hour ordeal I had saturday. Man I'm so glad that match was on television, there's no way this wont help my chance of getting booked by either All Japan or New Japan at some point... at least I can only hope so.. I think I'll make a point of keeping up a bit more with the wrestling those two produce, as it would be nice to be prepared for when I get my chance there. My parents called sunday by the way, asking how i was. They seemed worried about me, but also a little proud I think. Oh I'm going to make them so proud of me... So anyway, I arrived for my match and guess who I'm going up against? That's right... Pierre Lefebvre... I was stunned. After beating him bloody in a 1 hour brawl last week, they didn't think I was any better than to just throw together with him again? Ah well... I decided that they know better than me, and to just do my best in this match, as I always do... I talked to him backstage. Told him how it was going down. He didn't seem to like that at all. But we still talked a bit before going off to get ready for the match. I'm going to beat him as impressively as possible, but I don't want to hurt him, he seems really nice. The match was pretty brutal. We were both pretty beat up by the 10 minute mark already, as we just laid into one another and both threw caution and safety to the wind. At 16 minutes I put him through a table on the outside with an emerald frosion and rolled him in for the pin, but he just would not stay down. I picked him up and tried for another but he broke free. We kept the battle going for a couple of minutes more. Then at the 18 minute mark he nailed me with a leaping piledriver out of nowhere. I put every last reserve of strength into kicking out, but my body just wouldn't respond. I lost a pretty brutal match, that the crowd was into (b-) by pinfall in 18 minutes. I'm on the plane to Canada right now, and my neck is still killing me... but I know I'll bounce back, and I am sure I will have the chance to get payback on Lefebvre-san before long... Eiji Ezaki

Wednesday - Week 3 - August 1983 It seems the Hart-san family are really looking to make me prove myself, as they had me booked against Leatherface again. In a way facing the same opponent over and over may be good. As they adapt to my strategy I have to change it around and learn to reinvent myself in the ring... hmmm... Once I get a little further into my training, I think I will try doing some really spectacular things to keep them off balance... I talked to Hase-san backstage, he seemed in a good mood. We even talked about teaming, but he said that the Harts would probably not like the idea until I am further up the card. I hope this will come to happen, as I am sure I could learn much from teaming with Hase-san. Maeda-san actually came over unprompted and wished me good luck in my match. He also said again, that he has faith in me, and that I will be going somewhere. I am very honoured for him to have such faith in me. As expected, the match with Leatherface was very tough. For such a big and brutal warrior he is very skilled, and he kept me off-balance with his holds a lot of the time. It was all I could do to keep up with him. In the end I was really struggling him, as he kept putting the spinning toehold on me and I was despairing. Luckily he never managed to Uranage me, or that would have been the end I think. He was too big to use the emerald frosion on (unless I can somehow figure out a different way of doing it) so I tried for the leaping DDT, but he kept fighting out of that. In the end I managed to break free of another Uranage attempt, knock him down with a european uppercut, then pick him up, apply a hammerlock and finally hit the leaping high kick. He's down and out and I get the pin at 22 minutes (C+) I really feel good about this match, I think it really proves that I wont just give up for anything. Hopefully the Harts see it the same way. Ah well... tomorrow is another match. If I fight hard in it, they might give me a good chance to prove myself on the television. Which would be very good. Eiji Ezaki

Thursday - Week 8 - August 1983 Next day came, and again a singles match. This time against Kung Fu. He is better than I originally gave him credit for, so I was very curious to see how this would turn out. I met a few new faces backstage and chatted with Hase-san. Nothing in particular. The match was very good I think. I wasn't exactly overwhelming him, but I did feel that I had pretty good control throughout the match. I pinned him with a leaping DDT after 20 minutes. Yes very short on the match, but it really didn't feel very special. We were just "going through the motions" as they say. Still it wasn't a bad match at all (C+) I also got a call from the Agent-san. He told me, that Universal Pro Wrestling had reviewed my last few matches, and also my place in the company, so I was now in their mid-card (the lower end, but still improvement) effective now. This is very exciting as I may be facing new opponents now. And also this is a chance to prove myself even more. Tomorrow is the television here in Calgary and then saturday is the television back home. I am very excited about them both, so we shall see what is in store for me. Eiji Ezaki

Friday - Week 3 - August 1983 So before I went on TV, I sat down and had a long talk with Stu-san. He said he very much admired my dedication and the fights I had been having. But just as my heart was swelling with pride, he tolk me something else. He said that while I was a very good fighter, many of the fans would see me as "just another japanese guy". I could see the logic in that, since I have to admit, I sometimes get many non-Japanese confused. He advised me, that if I wanted the fans to really take me to Hart (yes, that is a little joke, I am in very good spirits writing this) I should try to be more colourful. I asked Stu-san how, but he didn't really have any solid advice. Although he said I should consider maybe some kind of eye-catching costume, or maybe a distinctive name. He said one of the best ways to be remembered can also be, to do something unique in the ring. Something noone else does. I will have to think on this greatly, and probably consult Sensee on the matter... Backstage before the match, I joked around a little with Johnny Smith-san, who was my opponent. We wished each other good luck, and I just had this feeling that this would really be a good match. It was... it didn't turn out quite as I had planned... but it was a good match. We wrestled in the ring for about 15 minutes. It started back and forth, but I eventually gained the upper hand. He kicked out of my German Suplex. Then I decided to take it outside. Make the match a little more colourful, as Stu-san had asked. Well we spent around the next 5 minutes brawling in and out of the ring. He started gaining the upper hand on me, but I shut him down with some european uppercuts, a piledriver through a table and a DDT on a chair (nearly got disqualified on that one). I rolled him back in the ring but still couldn't pin him. So I started to work him over again, to get him in a position where I could take him down with maybe the Leaping DDT, Emerald Fusion or the Leaping High Kick. But he turned the tides on me, went up and caught me with a Super Arm Drag. Then hit me with a flying elbow drop. I managed to kick out, but I was struggling from there on, and a few minutes later I was pinned with the Apron Sunset Flip. But even though I lost, I do feel it was a really good match, and the crowd were on their feet, cheering before it was over (B-). Backstage some of the workers even congratulated us, and even though Stu-san didn't say anything, I think I could tell some degree of satisfaction in his look. It's another loss on Television. But right now I'm in too good a mood to care. Am on the plane, heading home. Tomorrow I wrestle on television again. I'll make sure not to loose then. Eiji Ezaki

Archived