Still Having Troubles

It seems that on most of these posts, people say the game is too easy, which is part of the reason for the newest patch, to make things harder. But I for one, am still struggling with this game. I still tend to lose a lot more than I win. Anybody have any advice on what I can do? I've never really gotten more than a couple months into a career mode before ending it though, so maybe I just need to give it more time?

As Powerguy mentioned, the game is very tough when you start off in Rookie to Legend. The initial stat placement, alone, is vile. I'm really not sure what helpful advice I can give, as it would be far too generic without knowing your style. * If you are a brawler (and fancy the roleplaying), take the fight to the outside as much as possible; In no man's land, the opponent can not pin, nor force you to submit in a straight match. * Stick with a series of high Frequency, Low and Medium leveled moves and don't deviate until the guy is in Danger - or nearing exhaustion. Ignore the 'Boring' chants and remind yourself its being 'Methodical'. * Don't even concern yourself with match ratings until you start feeling more comfortable. If you can win ugly, take it. If you have to lose, lose pretty; hurt the other guy as much as you possibly can. * Don't be afraid to use what little Fighting Spirit you have. Sometimes, using that Spirit to beef up a desperation attack, rather than on saving it for pinfall situations, is the way to go. * Don't pick fights backstage, until you know you can win them. ;) * Always remember that the wrestling world needs good enhancement talent. If you find yourself in that opener hell, try your best to make ol' S.D. Jones proud. :) Good luck - and keep at it. There is great satisfaction when you get to the point where you [I]know[/I] you can compete with these schmoes.

The other tip is to try some exhibition matches when you play as the superior wrestler, that way you can get to grips with the best strategies. Try this series, one after the other - if you can get through all five with victories, you should be sorted! Match 1 (Very Easy): Tadiyuki Kikkawa (you) vs Ben Williams (CPU) Match 2 (Easy): Skull DeBones (you) vs Jacob Jett (CPU) Match 2 (Medium): Mito Miwa (you) vs Adam Matravers (CPU) Match 2 (Hard): Dread (you) vs Rip Chord (CPU) Match 2 (Hardest): The Great Hisato (you) vs Hell Monkey (CPU)

it helps a lot if you understand how the block/slip out/break works...if you find the help file in the game directory (not in the game itself) you can see which choice works best. also, I suspect that "avoid" works better for faster players, "slip out" for technical workers and "block" for power players. this is not documented at all so it's just a guess, however. most of how the match engine works is shrouded, which is fun but can be frustrating for a beginner.

Agreed with dime on the 'shrouded mystery'. I made the mistake of learning too much about TEW, and it killed everything for me. It's unfortunate that you dropped out after the frustration, rayps23. While I can understand how dreadful that scenario would be, it's too bad it soured you to the game. I really think WreSpi is a fabulous game that rewards you on a lot of levels, but mainly the flexing of one's Imagination. I've played several very highly regarded (and recently released) graphics based games of late and find myself returning to Wrestling Spirit each time. Very rarely will you stumble across a game that defines who you are, as a 'gamer'. In my opinion, Wrestling Spirit [I]is[/I] that game. It's too bad we lost you, rayps23!

Guest Nukester
Using the DoTT scenario, my first time playing the game, and first time playing Rookie to Champion, I was winning just about every match (I just got the game about a month ago), winning the Southeast (or Southwest...dont remember) television title in my 3rd career match, beating Shawn Michaels. I know Michaels is a youngster also in the scenario, but I also put a whooping on Randy "Macho Man" Savage in my 4th career match. I also thought the game was going to be way to easy. I scrapped that guy, and started another career, with basically the same type of wrestler (fast technical wrestler with just about no strength at all). For my career with this guy, I am 11 wins and 9 losses. I certainly dont think the game is a pushover anymore, and that was WITHOUT the newest patch, which makes it even harder.

Thought I'd give Adam's suggested training run a shot, just for fun. [QUOTE=Adam Ryland] Match 1 (Very Easy): Tadiyuki Kikkawa (you) vs Ben Williams (CPU) -A total squash. One move, two moves, finisher! I kept it going for two more minutes just for fun. 3 minutes, D rating. Match 2 (Easy): Skull DeBones (you) vs Jacob Jett (CPU) -Not nearly as easy as I thought! Jett's got a lot of heart! 28 minutes, B- rating. Match 2 (Medium): Mito Miwa (you) vs Adam Matravers (CPU) -Not so tough. Miwa is very skilled. 18 minutes, C+ rating. Match 2 (Hard): Dread (you) vs Rip Chord (CPU) -Dread's power handled Chord with relative ease. 18 minutes, C+ rating. Match 2 (Hardest): The Great Hisato (you) vs Hell Monkey (CPU) -A tough match, made tougher by the fact that Hisato has only one workable finisher. 38 minutes, B- rating.[/QUOTE] I won all the matches, but for someone who has trouble with the game, that second match might be a little off-putting. All I can say is don't give up! Take it outside and keep trying different strategies! Use a worker you feel comfortable with. I think the second match was hard for me because I tend not to play the big brawlers much. Anyway, if you fall off the horse, get back on! Rome wasn't built in a day! If at first you don't succeed, try and try again! What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger! Er... Sorry, I'm out of cliches! :D

Archived