Should ANY team be able to become a dynasty?

Part of the fun I look for in TDCB for example is to take a horrible team, make them respectable and make a Cinderella run into the postseason every once in a while. Unfortunately, using that same game as an example, the only team I've never developed into a national powerhouse is East Carolina. I mean in football should Southern University, Grambling, Penn or Dartmouth be able to EVER recruit against the USC's and Texas' of the world? No. Should William and Mary be able to steal a Top 10 prospect every year from Miami or Ohio State? No. Should UCF or North Texas ever be able to go unbeaten three straight years and get appearances in the BCS? No. While it's fun to turn a team into a dynasty, it's also fun to have that periodic "magical" season where you get a few breaks and make a decent bowl game. Now I realize I'm comparing to a basketball game and football is (thankfully) completely different, but I wouldn't expect to take over a Duke team and win a national title with them. Heck, I'd never really plan to be an overly competitive team in the ACC with them. But I could do what Steve Spurrier did, win a little (which is a big deal for Duke) and then move into a better job. I'd also like to see some better control of coaches movements. In games, Urban Meyer would never get a jump from a mid-level team like Utah into an SEC gig, but they do happen in real life because it makes sense.

I don't really agree cause if you take a team like Duke and coach them for say 25 years and as long as your team keeps getting better your prestiege will go up also which will attract alot better players. But I don't think that you should take Duke and come in the top 25 within 2 or 3 years. But if you spend enough time I think they should be able to get better.

I have to beg to differ on this one John. I know KSTATE isnt a powerhouse but they have had some very good teams over the last 5-10 years. Ask a KSTATE fan 25 years ago if they ever thought they would win more than 6 games in a season and the answer would have likely been no. The same thing can be said for V-Tech, they were never a prime contender until Beamer came aboard. While I think it should be very unlikely or at worst a very lenghty process to turn a doormat into a contender, I dont think it should be impossible.

I don't agree with this. Kansas State went from a complete joke in the early 90's to being a legitamate top 25 program (even though they sucked last year.) I'd be suprised if Utah slides back into mediocrity, and even Louisville has a shot to go from mid-major confrencedom to being a powerhouse in the Big East. I'm not saying it shouldn't be extremely difficult to do, because it should, but there shouldn't be something in the game that limits how succesful programs can be. Edit: Whoa, someone else brought up K State

I hate to sound like a broken record, but again I must say that FBCB does this very, very well. Yes, I won a National Title with Savannah State in that game, but it took me around 40 years to do so, and when I got to that level, most of the top-tier teams in 2003 were still very good or better. So, if I'm playing with, say, Central Florida, I'd like to see them be able to be a consistent Top 25 team at SOME point--but that it would take at least a decade or more to get to that point, and at least 20-25 years before they could win a national title. That being said, my preference would be a system where smaller schools were limited in their recruiting resources by enrollment. In other words, no matter how well you do at a 5,000-student school, you'd never have the recruiting resources that a 30,000-student school has, no matter how well you do, because you don't have as many alumni out there to buy season tickets, give donations, etc.

Well Notre Dame doesnt have a large enrollment, and if I am right the University of Miami doesn't either, but I know what you are trying to say. Ohio State will have a bigger recruiting budget than NE Louisiana will.

Good thoughts. My point was that in TDCB I can take almost any team, irregardless of conference or region (Texas-Arlington?) and be a Top 10 program with an 80+ national prestige and a 30,000 a week recruiting allowance. NOT realistic no matter how good the coach is. The other reality is that from a smaller springboard school (even Louisville) a good coach won't stay long enough for continuity as he jumps to a national school (see Urban Meyer) and watch that old school slide back to the pack as they start from scratch again.

But in a game like this, where you play the head coach, the monetary motivation to change programs isn't a factor. Most people just like a good challenge or want to take their favorite school to the top. Really I think the reason it's so easy to become a powerhouse in games like TDCB or NCAA is that you are able to recruit above your prestige level. As long as that's in order, it should be a challenge to raise your prestige.

SkyDog, here's another thing. You're assuming enrollments are static. But you start to have some regular football success, that'll bring in more money. More money = more course programs and resources you can offer. More programs and resources = greater enrollments. Which = bigger budgets. Which can get you to that powerhouse level. Now granted this process takes a great deal of time and not every school will follow it for a great variety of reasons. But in game terms, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to build even the lowliest of schools into powerhouses. Provided that a logical period of time is allowed for this progress to happen and you can't just hop up a U Maine in one graduating class.

Not really. Most main universitiesstay pretty consistent. They may rise a little bit over time, but their comparisons to the smaller school (who may also rise) is close over time. There's not much value in setting a process that tries to mimic real life in changing enrollment.

No, and there should be a prestige cap for smaller schools. In reality most smaller schools only get some top rated prospects because the entry requirements are not as stringent as the SEC or Big 12. If you want to play in the BCS then everything should be equal.

[QUOTE=AZJAZ]Ohio State will have a bigger recruiting budget than NE Louisiana will.[/QUOTE]HA! You can say that again. :D Another example, in the K-State way of thinking, is Wisconsin. Seems they were terrible in the 80s, and now, they're easily a top 15/top 20 team year in and year out.

[QUOTE=phenom]HA! You can say that again. :D Another example, in the K-State way of thinking, is Wisconsin. Seems they were terrible in the 80s, and now, they're easily a top 15/top 20 team year in and year out.[/QUOTE] Yeah but to be fair the Badgers didn't have the serial parrott killers dad as coach in the 80's.

my bucky badgers were a miserable program before alvarez showed up...they scheduled patsies, took advantage of a weak big 10 and a special group of seniors and won the rose bowl...the money started rolling in and enrollment went through the roof. that said, I think it should be possible to take a crummy team into the top 25 every year, but it should be a 10-12 year process or something.

I don't think you should be able to rise very fast. I think a nice thing to have would be to have the university have a priority of academics and a priority in sports. Some schools just don't want to invest the money from there other programs or the scholarships to take a team to the top. Duke is always going be a Basketball school, Rice will be a baseball school, Minnesota invest a lot of money into hockey.

At most colleges Men's basketball and football support the other programs ... at some the women's programs in basketball or volleyball will be in the "black" . If you have a solid foundation and can reduce turnover - you can build a dynasty ! Look at Florida State before Bowden, Florida before Spurrier, Miami (Fla) H. Schellenberger (whatever), Oklahoma from barry to Stoops ... so dynasties should be possible -- but if like at Oklahoma (Barry to H. Sch... ) and Nebraska (Solich to Callahan) if you make a major change in approach it should show in your record.

jk, I guess you've never been south of kentucky ;-) I think the only "basketball states" are indiana, kentucky and north carolina. texas alone is probably bigger than all 3 of those states put together! all things being equal, I think it's clear that success in football is more profitable than success in basketball because of the broad alumni support, ticket/merchandise sales, BCS sharings and bowl earnings that football provides.

[QUOTE=Ragin Cajun]Unfortunately, using that same game as an example, the only team I've never developed into a national powerhouse is East Carolina.[/QUOTE] Our football team has been bad the past two years, but we fairly decent before that. We were ranked #9 at the end of the year when I was a freshman. :)

Chappy, are you a Pirate? I lived in Greenville for two years. Was there during the big hurricane season that they upset Miami. Yeah, definitely some good years before that. Saw recently doing a search on their old coach that he's in Europe now as an assistant.

Yep - was there fom 91-97. Hard to believe it, but we beat the Miami Hurricanes twice during the 90's. :) Yeah, coach Logan (who they never should have fired) is coaching in the NFLE, and still drawing a paycheck from the Pirates as well... They now have 3 head coaches on their payroll.

Archived