Some random thoughts and ideas

Let me start by saying I'm not a programer, and don't have a real clear idea of exactly how hard any of this would be to put in the game, so if something is simply too hard(Or more likely too much work for something thats a VERY minor part of the game), I'm sorry and I totally understand. Anyway any sort of feedback on what everyone else thinks about these ideas would be awesome. Weight Cutting: There is no denying that weight cutting is an important factor in modern MMA, some people like Tito Ortiz or Rich Franklin cut amazing amounts to make their respective weight limits and it confers a definate advantage, on the other hand some people like Joe Riggs and Takanori Gomi have shown lackluster performances due to excessive weight cutting. Would it be possible to factor this in at all to WMMA? I would imagine it would be something like this: Jiu-Jitsu John: Current Weight(His current weight obviously it may slightly change some of his physical skills, making him slightly faster but less powerful but having this as his "walking" weight it would make it possible for him to be a MW, he could raise his "walking" weight if you asked him to move to 205 and he agreed.): 192 Ideal Weight(This is his possible "walking" weight range while still maintaining a atheletic condition if he went above this ala Ricco Rodriguez his skills would suffer, a good idea for a problem some workers could have btw.): 214-190 Maximum Cut(This would be the maximum weight he could physically cut before taking as stat reduction for that fight. so even if he CAN walk around at 190 if he was 199 and you asked him to cut to 185 in two weeks he would suffer a stat penalty.): 14lbs Ideal Cut(This is the most he could cut while maintaining his current stats this is something that if it were high could be a BIG advantage in the power department for a fighter.): 8lbs Fight Camps: Fight camps are a really fun part of modern MMA,it allows rivalries like Chutebox v BTT, it also helps give fighters some sort of identity for instance if somone comes from Hammer house they are probably strong as an ox with good wrestling but cardio and sub defense may be a problem. This being said I'd like Fight Camps in WMMA, here's an idea of how it'd work.: Bonuses and Hinderances: I would like to see the fighters natural abilities be the +1 determaning factor, but I would also like to see Camps have some effect here's an example: Big Jim's Wrestling: Wrestling(This wouldn't mean it would give the individual an A in wrestling but rather allow them to more quickly and fully recognize their potential in this given ability): A Striking(This is a little low they would basically come along just a tad bit slower and recognize just a little less of their potential than if they trained as an independant.): C- Submissions(This would be a hinderance fighters who stayed with this school would progress very slowly in this ability and recognize MUCH less of their potential.): E Ill do a little equation these are "soft" numbers so bare with me. Lets say Fighter X has 15% in wrestling ability, 10% in striking, and 12% in Subs, he joins Big Jim's: His Wrestling: His maximum is 78% this being a good wrestling school he realizes his potential very quickly and in fact gets all the way to 78% in wrestling which is lets say a B-. His Striking: Lets say his max is 60%, he will go along rather slowly but eventuall max out at lets say 55%, not bad close to where he could have been elsewhere it just took him awhile. Subs: Let's say his max potential is 52% because this school has very poor subs he moves along slowly and only recognizes 25% of his untapped potential this maxing him at 22% while hes with said school. Ok hope you followed that. ANyway that's alot to think about for now I have a few more ideas I'll toss out later.

I think a bell-curve graph of performace vs weight would be a great way to set up the weight cutting issue. At the peak is the point where the fighter is at his best, and depending on a few factors (height, experience, age) the curve could be wider or steeper. For someone new to cutting they might only be able to cut 5lbs without a stat hit, and no more than 10lbs before it starts being a big factor. Someone more experienced in cutting weight (if fighter backgrounds are included then wrestlers may have an advantage here) might cut 15-20lbs comfortably. Even though fighter camps are big part of real MMA I'm not sure how they would work into a simulator. Unlike in prowrestling they aren't just feeder orgs and aren't owned by the company. Fighters move around and some (like Franklin) don't really have a home camp but jump around a lot. You also need to factor in the skills of the fighters IN the camps (not just the coaches), as they all help each other train (I'm sure Koscheck's wrestling helps the guys at AKA, Pulver's boxing helps Militech, etc.).

[QUOTE=asdfx3;221419]I think a bell-curve graph of performace vs weight would be a great way to set up the weight cutting issue. At the peak is the point where the fighter is at his best, and depending on a few factors (height, experience, age) the curve could be wider or steeper. For someone new to cutting they might only be able to cut 5lbs without a stat hit, and no more than 10lbs before it starts being a big factor. Someone more experienced in cutting weight (if fighter backgrounds are included then wrestlers may have an advantage here) might cut 15-20lbs comfortably. Even though fighter camps are big part of real MMA I'm not sure how they would work into a simulator. Unlike in prowrestling they aren't just feeder orgs and aren't owned by the company. Fighters move around and some (like Franklin) don't really have a home camp but jump around a lot. You also need to factor in the skills of the fighters IN the camps (not just the coaches), as they all help each other train (I'm sure Koscheck's wrestling helps the guys at AKA, Pulver's boxing helps Militech, etc.).[/QUOTE] Some good points about the camps may simply be too hard to bring in without over simplifying it. I totally agree with the weight cutting idea, that was the kind of response I wanted someone to build on the idea and make it better.

I like your ideas, I definitely think that some fighters should add weight to move up a class. But, the way they add the weight could have a positive or negative effect on their fighting.(ie they add fat instead of muscle, which would lower stamina)

Good point, it's like the difference between Sherk and Penn. Both are lightweights that fought at welterweight, but Sherk gained muscle and strength to move up while Penn just gained fat. If there's a "work ethic" or "drive" stat maybe that could factor in. BTW, has there been any official information on what stats are going to be included in the game or is that still being worked on?

Archived