Anyone ever seen this?

I'm playing as Indiana and i'm in the recruiting phase looking over my RB targets. The main guy i want is also being recruited by Northern Illinois. Location, Prestige, and Head Coach all have been eliminated as being most important to the kid so i go to NIU's depth chart to see how many RB's they have. Low and behold they have a 4.5/5.0 guy starting for them. Now they're a 42 prestige team like me so i wonder how they landed a top guy like this. I open the player card and it says he was ranked as the #1614th player in the land and the #142nd RB overall. His "Potential" section also reads like the usual top guys - "devastating between the tackles runner", "should be a fantastic blocker", " will be difficult to bring down". Why was this guy ranked so low? Anyone ever seen anything like this in their leagues?

I think there are a few "hidden gems" in each recruiting class...I think. Also have to think about what sort of competition he's going against. Also, from what I've seen on these guys they have low endurance and durability. I have 2 on my Texas team that are projects sort of, I'll post their numbers when they finish their careers.

Yea i agree with the gem theory but that ranking is so low you'd never expect a 5 star talent to be down there. Plus, this guy was no project he was a full fledged stud. High durability and endurance along with excellent speed, agility and all the other attributes. I didn't really know how at the time or i woulda posted his card, but i've since moved on the career and he's graduated by now.

Yeah, honestly I've been playing with the idea. He was a QB that I converted to a RB, he's a bit tall for a for a RB, prolly 6 inches too tall but I've been messing around with guys tht are just extemely athletic. Give me a bit and I'll post the numbers I've been looking at.

K, here's what I've seen and remember, I'm by far not best at BB by any means. I'm sure many others have gotten a lot further on this than I have. And...with you and I being in the same GG Conference I thought twice about this but I don't think this sort of thing has that much of an effect on MP Leagues but my testing has been limited so...;) The more people looking at this the better IMO. Anyhow...the first pic is his final stats, his durability and endurance a really low but I've seen others much higher but haven't been able to get any "good" production out of them yet. The second pic is his athletic ability plus his GPA measured over his weight. The 3rd is just his athletic ability, if that's what you want to call it. Meaning, it's how well his speed, vert., squat and bench measures over his position. I then equate it out so that it's a 1:1 comparison despite position...if that makes sense. I can explain more if anyone wants to know. [IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d131/hitmanwa/Flores-1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d131/hitmanwa/FloresGPA.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d131/hitmanwa/FloresAth.jpg[/IMG] Again, the guy was a 1.0/2.0 when I recruited him and had like a 1 or 2 interest but since no one else recruited him I got him. Hope some of this makes sense. If you'll notice I also took Cates in the same year who turned out to be a pretty good QB. He did "ok" in the Big 12 but I think he would have done damn well in a lesser conference. I didn't really get to give him all that much playing time. He too was a 1.0/2.0 but ended up a 3.0/4.0, he never reached his potential because I didn't get to play him a lot in the later years.

Same thing happened to me with a QB I recruited and swapped positions. I recruited him as a QB. He was a 2-star. After his redshirt year, he was 1.5/2.0 and I moved him to RB. He then jumped to a 3.0/4.0. After game three, I had lost three of my four QBs on my roster. So I went into the player editor and moved him back to QB (which I don't consider cheating, as real teams are forced to do this in real life from time to time). He automatically dropped again to 1.5/2.0 when I did that. So he plays a few snaps at QB and after the year, I go to move him back to RB. On a lark, I check to see what he'd do at WR instead. I change his position and he goes to 3.5/4.5. Midway through that next season, I have a 4.5/5.0 WR on my hands.

It's there. I've been recruiting based on numbers based on speed, vert, squat, GPA and bech per pound and it seems to do better than scouting as long as you are mindfull of where they are on the recruiting list. Obviously a #1 recruit won't be better than a #1000 recruit based on these numbers alone but it's something to think about.

This is good stuff. The whole approach gives me something else to look at in recruiting. Oh, and i'm not in GG or any other MP leagues mainly because i've never been that successful in SP so i know i'd probably suck in a league. This brings me to a player development question. What was the distribution for this guy? More strength/conditioning than football skills or vice versa? Did it change from year to year? Lastly, does setting the strength and conditiong or football training above 40 help or hurt because hitting "suggest" always tops out at 40.

Ah, I assumed you were abailey from GG...my bad. I always train at 35-35-30-0 unless it's someone I want to move to a different pos. in which case I go 25-25-25-25. This guy's Frosh year I went 25s and then the remaining years I went 35-35-30-0.

[QUOTE=monaghanhusker;226768]I'm interested in that spreadsheet you created! Can you send it to me? Thanks.[/QUOTE] Yeah, that spreadsheet is some nice work. I'm also from the GG, (Miami OH), can you share it with the rest of us??

[QUOTE=hitmanwa;226531]I can explain more if anyone wants to know. [/QUOTE] Please do. I’ve not played BB in a while, bar my MP leagues & I’d love to get back into it if I was able to find hidden gems like these guys. Just out of interest, is there a quick way to find players who might boom in this way? (i.e. what stats or physical attributes should I be looking for?)

It's not a sure fire way to find hidden gems, I didn't really mean to imply that. All I use it for is to get an idea of say who's stronger pound for pound, who's faster pound for pound or a combination of all 4. It's sort of like in the older version of FOFC when you could find a guy who was the fastest, strongest and most agile at a certain position. But, it doesn't always mean he'll always bust or boom. A lot of these guys are (athletes) and I generally move their position which sometime translates well and sometimes doesn't. The main thing I use it for is say I want a fast CB with a good verticle. I'll look at that column on the SS keeping mind who's a 3 star, 4 star, etc and take a look at who that might be. At the same time I might look at who's the fastest per pound...this all may or may not make any difference to anyone it's just, for me, a different way of looking at the measurables. Here's a different post I made on it that hopefully explains a little. The SS isn't anything special it just makes it easier for me but if anyone else wants to look at it, improve it or contructively criticise it then I'm up for that too. "Basically all it does is take weight as well as the other measurements and break them down per player and per position. I'm by far not an excel expert nor a Football expert so take this for what it is...a work in progress. Basically all I do is copy and paste the recruit info into it and it gives me feedback based on the average for that position. In the example I'm looking at who has the best speed/verticle combo. Obviously one can do this just by looking at the raw numbers but this makes it a bit easier for me. The ratio is 1:1 so the top guy is 15% bove the average for both. The guy below him is 13% but he's also 39% higher in strength/weight, 41% higher Strength/Speed and and 48% higher in a combination of all 4 measurables not including weight. I usually try to look at all the 3 star guys together, 4 and 5 star guys together and so on. Anyhow, this probably wouldn't be much use to most of the vets of the game but figured I would post it and make it available to anyone who might be intersted in taking a look at it as well as take any suggestions to make it better. When I copy the info in I have to hange the format on the heigh to m-d under custom and change the athletes to their normal position, I haven't really bothered to add any of that to the SS yet." [IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d131/hitmanwa/GGone.jpg[/IMG]

Archived