Questions about Game programming

Marty P

Hi, I would like to programming a Soccer Sim. I know this will last for years. :) I learned a litte VB in the last Month. unfortunately, most of the Books about programming learn about standard applications and not about Game Programming. I know the best Soccer sim is the Championshipmanager/Football Manager from SI Games but i think some features are not in the Game. I am realist, i can not programming a new Football Manager, but i think every Game Designer (Markus, Arlie, Gary, Shaun etc.) has some time begun with programming. whats the best books or tutorials or websites about Game programming (special Sport Sims without big Graphics).

Just to let you know most of the guys that make the games here went to college for programing and IT. Plus there are a couple colleges that teach video game programing and design. ITT Tech has Video game programing course. but if you really want to get into making game you should go to the college i'm going to go to next year and that is fullsail. If you want to check it out the website is [url]www.fullsail.com[/url] and it only takes 21 month to get a Bachelor Degree there.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, If you want to discuss any aspects of developing a soccer sim feel free to email me (marc.vaughan@sigames.com). I did actually start writing a 'book' (more a collection of jumbled notes really ;) ) a while back on writing a sports sim - if you poke around the sigames.com messageboards you'll probably be able to find that and use it as a starting point. Hope this helps, Marc PS> With regards to book recommendations - you indicated you know a little VB, are you planning on writing the sim in this or learning another language? ... Incidentally don't stress if you want to stick with VB at least initially, Riz did when implementing the original EHM and that impressed me enough to hire him for SI :D

I'll go a step further - you don't need a degree to do it either. TPB is programmed completely in visual basic and the extent of my programming courses were high school classes in basic (not even VB) and pascal. I bought two books about beginning with VB and then asked for help along the way when I got stuck with something. Not only have the people at GDS like Arlie and Adam been a big help to me but a place like [url]www.vbforums.com[/url] is a huge help as well. If you're looking to do a text sim game then really you don't need to know anything that advanced (or if you do then someone better tell me that). You just need to know the basics of how forms, controls and data structures work - you need to have a good sense of logic and an ability to map things out to an end result and you need alot of patience to make mistakes, learn new techniques and continually improve your skills.

I had started doing this some months ago but it all fell through thanks to my job schedule back then (lousy rent...). All I can add to the comments that have been made is make sure you manage your time carefully, you don't want to spend too many hours per day on this and have it cut into your job (if you work) or studies (if you study). Other than that, good luck! :cool:

Guest BladeOD12
When you say VB. Which VB do you mean? I was searching google and there is alot like VB6 and this .NET stuff. Which would be best for a beginner to start with. And what books would be good for a beginner?

Start with VB 6, and then move to either .Net or the new VB coming later this year. Or move to C++ after you are very familiar with it, if you find that VB limits you in your creation. It shouldn't, but some find VB has a ceiling on what you can do. I don't but some out there do.

[QUOTE=Marc Vaughan]Hi, If you want to discuss any aspects of developing a soccer sim feel free to email me (marc.vaughan@sigames.com). I did actually start writing a 'book' (more a collection of jumbled notes really ;) ) a while back on writing a sports sim - if you poke around the sigames.com messageboards you'll probably be able to find that and use it as a starting point. Hope this helps, Marc PS> With regards to book recommendations - you indicated you know a little VB, are you planning on writing the sim in this or learning another language? ... Incidentally don't stress if you want to stick with VB at least initially, Riz did when implementing the original EHM and that impressed me enough to hire him for SI :D[/QUOTE] Hi Marc, many thank for the information. I am interested in it book. I hope there also is a German version :-) VB is the first step, next i want to learn c++ [QUOTE=Gary Gorski]I'll go a step further - you don't need a degree to do it either. TPB is programmed completely in visual basic and the extent of my programming courses were high school classes in basic (not even VB) and pascal. I bought two books about beginning with VB and then asked for help along the way when I got stuck with something. Not only have the people at GDS like Arlie and Adam been a big help to me but a place like [url]www.vbforums.com[/url] is a huge help as well. If you're looking to do a text sim game then really you don't need to know anything that advanced (or if you do then someone better tell me that). You just need to know the basics of how forms, controls and data structures work - you need to have a good sense of logic and an ability to map things out to an end result and you need alot of patience to make mistakes, learn new techniques and continually improve your skills.[/QUOTE] Thanks for these Words Gary. :-) [QUOTE=Powerguy]I had started doing this some months ago but it all fell through thanks to my job schedule back then (lousy rent...). All I can add to the comments that have been made is make sure you manage your time carefully, you don't want to spend too many hours per day on this and have it cut into your job (if you work) or studies (if you study). Other than that, good luck! :cool:[/QUOTE] Thank you. :)

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE=Marc Vaughan]if you poke around the sigames.com messageboards you'll probably be able to find that and use it as a starting point.[/QUOTE]I poked around and found it at the bottom of [url=http://community.sigames.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/893197497/m/519204793]this thread[/url]. :) brad

Archived