One of the great features from TEW was fan types. I feel this is a must carry over to WMMA, just figured I'd throw out some ideas and let you guys throw out some and elaborate. [B]Hardcore Fans:[/B] Your basic "net fan" basically an MMA smark. They tend to be fickle and jump on and off the bandwagon of hot fighters, but on the other side of the coin they are informed enough that one cannot simply shove an inferior fighter down their throats well packaged and get them to watch. Things They Like: Fighters with high momentum, skilled fighters, lower weight fighters. technical matches, prestigious titles. Things that they Dislike: Brawlers, lots of angles / promotion, fighters with poor records, Super Heavyweights. [B]Casual Fans:[/B] Your basic MMA fan. They like MMA they understand it to a point and they make up the majority of your fan base. They dont mind a good fast flashy ground fight but would perfer a KO. They are also big on popular fighters. Things they Like: Popular fighters, KOs, Fighters with high charisma, hyped fights. Things they Dislike: Slow paced fights, very low weight class fighters, decisions, fighters with low charisma or menace. [B]Blood and Guts Fans:[/B] These are your average drunk hooligan, they want to see the largest meanest looking guys possible punch each other in the face till one guy simply cannot go anymore. They will swallowa somewhat technical fight as long as it stays standing but god helpyou if someone goes to a takedown. Things they Like: Big menacing fighters, brawls, KOs, injuries, blood, hype. Things they Dislike: Ground Fighting, decisions, middle and lower weight fighters. [B]Fight Fans:[/B] ADCC? Boxing? MMA? Kickboxing? Judo? Wrestling? North Bulgarian Stick Fighting? You name it these guys and gals will be salivating about seeing two of the best go one on one in a display of technical skills. They don't care about hype, they don't care about keeping it fast paced they just wanna see the best. Be warned though they may seem easy to please but the problem isn't what they dislike but the sheer amount of things they could care less about, popularity has no effect on these guys so if your Main Event star has gotten there by something like sheer KO power or athelticism they could care less about him, that amazing looping right on your undercard that got you buzz with everyone from the Hardcores to the Blood and Guts guys? Yeah, the Fight Fans were more jacked about that sweet sweep pulled off in your prelims. Things they Like: Any sort of good technique, well executed finishes. Things they Dislike: Brawls, poorly skilled fighters. Well obviously a few more fan types couldn't hurt and if anyone thinks Im off the mark here let it be known just some food for thought.

[QUOTE=TylerDrew;246030]One of the great features from TEW was fan types. I feel this is a must carry over to WMMA, just figured I'd throw out some ideas and let you guys throw out some and elaborate. [B]Hardcore Fans:[/B] Your basic "net fan" basically an MMA smark. They tend to be fickle and jump on and off the bandwagon of hot fighters, but on the other side of the coin they are informed enough that one cannot simply shove an inferior fighter down their throats well packaged and get them to watch. Things They Like: Fighters with high momentum, skilled fighters, lower weight fighters. technical matches, prestigious titles. Things that they Dislike: Brawlers, lots of angles / promotion, fighters with poor records, Super Heavyweights. [/QUOTE] Well, you made an interesting post for sure. I'm not sure that this in particular is accurate at all. Especially not the 'high momentum', or 'lower weight fighters'. Since most internet fans tend to hang off the ... ahem, of Wanderlei Silva, Mirko "Cro Cop", Fedor Emelianenko, Kazuyushi Sakuraba, Chuck Liddell, Quinton Jackson, Mauricio Rua, Antonio Rogerio and Rodrigio Nogueira, Josh Barnett, Aleksander Emelianenko, ..ect. And.. to say that internet fans dislike Brawlers is kind of odd, since most of the 'best fights' listed by internet fans are the bigger brawls in the MMA world. I'd say this should just be changed slightly, and the rest are fairly good - aside from 'Fight Fan's not appreciating KO power too :D (Who doesn't like to see someone get their head knocked off in a spectacular way, come on.), and two different fan types should be added as well. [U][B]Specific Fighter Fans[/B][/U] These are fans that are specifically watching fights just to see this fighter, and watch all of his fights. He's garnered their support through repeated fights and publicity, and it doesn't matter where he goes, they'll hang on him like .. well, you know. Things They Like: Their favorite fighter, their fighter winning, their fighter doing publicity, their fighter - ... anything their fighter does. Things They Don't Like: Their favorite fighter getting beaten, and if he gets beaten in a spectacular fashion they tend to go into depression. (At least until his next fight.) [U][B]Promotion Fight Fans[/B][/U] This is somewhat akin to 'brand' loyalty. Depending on how long the promotion has been around, or the quality of the fights, or even the publicity that the promotion has recieved, determines how many 'promotion' fans they recieve. A promotion fan doesn't care what fights are on the card, only that their chosen promotion of Fighting is the best in the world, and that any one of the lower class guys from their promotion could whip any top tier guy from that other group. Things they like: The same thing that they always get from their favorite promotion. Things they don't like: Getting something other then what they usually get from their favorite promotion, other promotions.

I agree with your picks. To defend some of my logic, you obviously know you stuff that's been obvious from day 1 on the board so first off thanks for the feedback. As far as the momentum effecting "hardcore" fans I ment for it to reflect the steriotypical Sherdog fan or somethign along those lines, look at the 205lb division when Wandy was crushing people he was EVERYONES favorite fighter, then Shoguns GP win had alot of people on his...ahem, then PRIDE started to go under and Liddell is the flavor of the month, boom Jackson KOs Liddell and all of a sudden Shoguns win was a fluke and Jackson is the man. I intended for them to represent of the odd mix of hardcore fans being fickle yet educated. A TRUE Hardcore Fan in the real sense of the word would probably be what I was going for with Fight Fans. As far as Fight Fans not liking the KO I ment to say sure they appriciated the KO, but if there was no technical merit behind it(For example any fight Bob Sapp has ever won, aside from that one K-1 Japan event where he was actually throwing low kicks ect.) while Sapps KOs would impress the casual fans and the Blood n Guts guys would eat it up, hell if it was good enough even the Hardcores would accept it, your fight fans are going to perfer the Arona v Lister fight on the undercard to it. Now lets say it was a Cro Cop or Hoost style KO with a beatiful setup then yeah the FIght Fans are gonna love it. With the "Hardcores" love of Lighter Weights and Hatred of Brawlers I see you point but ALOT of so called Hardcore fans posture like they don't or do like those things despite the fact you pointed out they obviously do. So maybe a good middle ground would be to say a good brawl matchup(Lets say something like Bonnar v Griffin) it may not DRAW hardcore fans but afterwards they would give it a favorable ranking.

Archived