WCCW: What If Things Were Different?

[CENTER][IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/26/Worldclass.gif[/IMG][/CENTER] [I]World Class Championship Wrestling (WCCW), also called the World Class Wrestling Association (WCWA), was a popular regional professional wrestling promotion run out of Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas. Originally owned by promoter Ed McLemore, by 1966 it was run by Southwest Sports, Inc., whose president was Jack Adkisson, better known as wrestler Fritz Von Erich. Beginning as a territory of the National Wrestling Alliance, it went independent in 1986 in a bid to become a major national promotion, but was unsuccessful in its attempts and eventually went out of business in 1990. Rights to the WCCW tape library currently belong to World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc.[/I] Yeah, that's what history says. WCCW was a promotion in Texas that was gaining major, major momentum in the early eighties. Built around the Von Erich's, WCCW was becoming a major competitor in the wrestling market. They had it all going for them. A talented core. Rabid fans. A great market. History. And then it all came crashing down. On February 10, 1984, David Allen Adkisson, better known as David Von Erich died in Japan of an apparent drug overdose. This caused WCCW to go into a tailspin from which it never recovered. Eventually, the company merged with the AWA and the CWA, but this did not keep the company alive. It went out of business, and a part of wrestling history was lost forever. But man, that's what we're here for. The date is January 1st, 1983. David Von Erich is alive, WCCW is in full swing. The company's a major player in the NWA, and the company hasn't come crashing down. The territories are still intact, despite Vince McMahon's best efforts. This is the Golden Age of Wrestling. And this is WCCW.

I look forward to your account of this. I grew up 20 miles east of Charlotte. In the heart of MACW territory. Flair country if you will. WOOOOOOOOOOOO! But funny thing. On top of being able to watch the MACW shows, I could get WCCW wrestling on a station out of Greensboro. So not only did I get watch Flair, Steamboat, Wahoo, Ivan and the bunch growing up. I also got to watch the Freebirds and of course the great Von Erichs. And I love anything done with the DOTT mod.

[QUOTE]WCCW has shaken up the roster a bit, releasing several of the enhancement talents, and replacing them with some other workers. OUT: Johnny Mantell, Frank Dusek, Brian Adias, and Arman Hussain IN: The Road Warriors (All Three), Koko B. Ware, Tony St. Clair, Tiger Mask, Magnum T.A, and The Midnight Express (Eaton and Condrey) The intent is to have St. Clair and Wright form a tag team. [/QUOTE] (Three Tag Teams In Basically, four if you consider Ware / Eaton. And... Magnum T.A.'s an untapped talent. Plus, if I'm rewriting history, Magnum deserves another roll of the dice, don't you think? Tiger Mask? I mark for Tiger Mask. Sorry. ) [QUOTE][CENTER][B]WCCW Roster[/B][/CENTER] [B]Main Event:[/B] [F] David Von Erich [F] Kevin Von Erich [H] Michael Hayes [H] Terry Gordy [H] The Great Kabuki [B]Upper Midcard:[/B] [H] Buddy Jack Roberts [H] Jim Garvin [F] Kerry Von Erich [H] Road Warrior Animal [H] Road Warrior Hawk [B]Midcard:[/B] [H] Bill Irwin [H] Bobby Eaton [F] Chris Adams [H] Dennis Condrey [F] Magnum T.A. [F] Sugar Brown Sugar [F] Tiger Mask [B]Lower Midcard:[/B] [H] Magic Dragon [H] King Kong Bundy [F] Iceman Parsons [F] Mike Von Erich [B]Openers / Enhancement Talents:[/B] [F] Koko B. Ware [H] Tony St. Clair [H] Steven Wright [B]Occasional Wrestlers: [/B] [H] Black Gordman [H] Checkmate [F] Jose Lothario [F] Ken Mantell [B]Managers:[/B] [H] Paul Ellering (The Road Warriors) [H] Gary Hart (Kabuki and Dragon) [H] Skandor Akbar (None) [B]Staff:[/B] Announcer: Bill Mercer Color Commentator: Marc Lowrance Referee: David Manning Authority Figures: Precious and Sunshine (Yeah.) Road Agent: Fritz Von Erich [/QUOTE] [QUOTE] [B][I]World Class Wrestling:[/I][/B] King Kong Bundy vs. Magic Dragon The Road Warriors vs. The Freebirds (Haynes and Gordy) David Von Erich vs. The Great Kabuki[/QUOTE] (Yes, I intend to keep a running prediction tally. So vote!)

[QUOTE=theoutlaw321;246235]I look forward to your account of this. I grew up 20 miles east of Charlotte. In the heart of MACW territory. Flair country if you will. WOOOOOOOOOOOO! But funny thing. On top of being able to watch the MACW shows, I could get WCCW wrestling on a station out of Greensboro. So not only did I get watch Flair, Steamboat, Wahoo, Ivan and the bunch growing up. I also got to watch the Freebirds and of course the great Von Erichs. And I love anything done with the DOTT mod.[/QUOTE] Thanks for the support. I'm pumped for this, I was a big fan back in the day, and now I'm going to hopefully continue the story.

[B]King Kong Bundy[/B] vs. Magic Dragon [B]Too big![/B] The Road Warriors vs. [B]The Freebirds (Haynes and Gordy)[/B] [B]The Warriors would go on to more world wide acclaim, but this is WCCW and it is 1983. The Freebirds are the bad a**es and the Warriors are just starting out.[/B] [B]David Von Erich[/B] vs. The Great Kabuki [B]If not for his untimely death in 1984, he would have been NWA World Champ[/B]

World Class Wrestling: [B]King Kong Bundy[/B] vs. Magic Dragon [i]Bundy smash.. [/i] [B]The Road Warriors[/B] vs. The Freebirds (Hayes and Gordy) [i]Mega push activate![/i] [B]David Von Erich[/B] vs. The Great Kabuki [i]Von Erich's don't lose.. especially to foreigners.. damnit.[/i]

Archived