Discussion Board for WMMA Features

I would say that the only way to have interest built OR suffer from previous fights would be to have some sort of rating rating at the fights excitement level as well. For instance, a fighter who has a long string of exciting fights would naturally be anticipated more. A fighter who lay n pray's his way to decisions would be derided by ticket buyers.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[QUOTE=BlizzardVeers;255812]Only a double edged sword in the respect that the previous fight has to be good - and this fight has to live up to the hype if you want a 3rd. And it has to be a 1-1 situation or the other fighter has to have put up a majorly good fight. Who wants to see a 3rd fight between two people if the one fighter has been beaten convincingly the first two times? On that note, I don't want to see Shamrock v Ortiz 4. Or Sakuraba v Gracie 3. Sakuraba has looked so bad in his last couple fights, I love the guy, but he needs to think about other career choices.[/QUOTE] Saku is my all time favorite his fight with Gracie tore my heart out he had no buisness fighting, the heart may still be there but his body has totally failed.

[QUOTE=Capelli King;255978]Happy about the Camp feature. It was a must feature and as expected it is in. To say the truth, i did not even know there was woman MMA! I never saw it myself.:) Could be interesting[/QUOTE] ROTFLMAO. Tufer

[QUOTE=Capelli King;255978]To say the truth, i did not even know there was woman MMA! I never saw it myself.:) Could be interesting[/QUOTE] I'm not sure if we're allowed to post youtube links here, but check out the Gina Carano vs. Julie Kedzie fight. In a lot of ways it's the Bonnar vs Griffin of women's MMA.

It's really not. It's just really the only women's fight to get air time in the States. There are a lot better women's matches and Carano gets all the publicity because she is attractive. There are some good japanese women's matches and such, you just have to look for women's MMA a bit harder than men's. Although the EXC is doing a good job of trying to get people intersted by using Carano and hopefully slowly integrated the top level women fighters of the same weight.

[QUOTE=ACCBiggz;256132]It's really not. It's just really the only women's fight to get air time in the States. There are a lot better women's matches and Carano gets all the publicity because she is attractive. There are some good japanese women's matches and such, you just have to look for women's MMA a bit harder than men's. Although the EXC is doing a good job of trying to get people intersted by using Carano and hopefully slowly integrated the top level women fighters of the same weight.[/QUOTE] Actually Bodog is doing much more in the way of promoting womens MMA. EliteXC pretty much just took a chance on Carano and she turned out to be a star but Bodog reularily brings japanese talent on their shows, hell, they signed the womens equivalent to Fedor Emelianenko now - Meugmi Fujii.

Two differences. No one watches bodogFIGHT. How many people even realise they get ION? And those who do watch it? No. Even though EXC is on Showtime they have nice little specials and it was there that they promoted Carano and her fight fairly heavily up there with the Shamrock/Gracie fight. Yes they took a chance, but it was an educated chance because of their promotional useage of her and how they built her up, including and most importantly that she is attractive. People can talk about skills all they want, no one would have cared in the slightest had it been someone ugly they were trying to promote, that caught the interest of a lot. It really wasn't EXC just throwing her up there and she becomes a star, they promoted her fairly well throughout the build-up, hand selected her, and it worked. bodogFIGHT is doing a fine job yes, but they don't have the avenue yet to promote it well enough. No one really watches ION. EXC covers more of a base and got a fair amount of women looking into women's MMA from their coverage. Carano also has "Fight Girls" which is merely kickboxing on the WE channel (I think it's WE may be the other one), as well as having a spot before the EXC fight on one of the MSNBC specials.

[QUOTE=ACCBiggz;256138]Two differences. No one watches bodogFIGHT. How many people even realise they get ION? And those who do watch it? No. Even though EXC is on Showtime they have nice little specials and it was there that they promoted Carano and her fight fairly heavily up there with the Shamrock/Gracie fight. Yes they took a chance, but it was an educated chance because of their promotional useage of her and how they built her up, including and most importantly that she is attractive. People can talk about skills all they want, no one would have cared in the slightest had it been someone ugly they were trying to promote, that caught the interest of a lot. It really wasn't EXC just throwing her up there and she becomes a star, they promoted her fairly well throughout the build-up, hand selected her, and it worked. bodogFIGHT is doing a fine job yes, but they don't have the avenue yet to promote it well enough. No one really watches ION. EXC covers more of a base and got a fair amount of women looking into women's MMA from their coverage. Carano also has "Fight Girls" which is merely kickboxing on the WE channel (I think it's WE may be the other one), as well as having a spot before the EXC fight on one of the MSNBC specials.[/QUOTE] Just to say, I watch BoDog, and not UFC. On subject, I like the features so far... but they are all (besides the prestige of regions bit) expected. Hopefully more fun and interesting things come up soon! :p

[QUOTE=mikey5time;256164]The ground work in Gina vs Julie was scary bad. Julie apparently has her blue belt in BJJ, I ask, how?[/QUOTE] I don't know her rank in BJJ, but if she is a blue belt that would explain why her ground game isn't that impressive. A blue belt is the second lowest rank in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu -- it goes (from lowest to highest) White, Blue, Purple, Brown, Black and Red. In my school alone I know 4 women who have received their blue belt, and while they certainly have skills I certainly wouldn't consider them world-class grapplers.

[QUOTE=Unregistered;256171]Just to say, I watch BoDog, and not UFC.[/QUOTE] As with anything it isn't knowledgeable fans. Knowledgeable fans know about bodogFIGHT, IFL, local MMA shows on their networks, MyNetworkTV, etc. It's always the casual fan. ION as a network averages a 0.4 rating, total. How many people truely know about ION? It's a network that airs paid programming spots until 3pm Eastern often. EXC (Shamrock/Gracie, Carano/Kedzie) did a 1.62 on a Premium channel. Meaning you have to pay a fee to watch Showtime. And that rating for EXC on Showtime was given by SpikeTV when asked about head to head with a repeat of one of their Ultimate KO compliations (0.95).

July 6th feature. I think pretty sraight forward. We had something like this in Wrespi and i am happy to have it in the WMMA game. Makes life for the modders much more simple. Although in practice it may seem like a minor feature it sure saves time!:)

Archived