ROH - A Fight For Honor

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just discovered this diary on here, since I have never really posted any of my work on here until now. This is really some great stuff though. A couple thoughts before I review your show: - I don't like the idea of the regular events having names of one-time shows, like The Bitter End and Gut Check. I think you should do what ROH does and name every show differently. The Weekly Warfare is a good idea though. - The format is excellent, except I think it might be a bit better if you gave a quick, one-line, almost formal sentence at the end with the time and finish. Like [b]Takeshi Morishima defeated KENTA in 19:05 with the Amaze Impact[/b], just so we could get the match-times for every match and make it easier to see who won. Now, for the show: - An EG Memorial Cup is a brilliant idea in my eyes, and shoulda been done a long time ago. - SD making his debut seems pretty cool, but I donno about him loosing. I think a Mori vs. Dragon semi-final coulda been great. - I love the next three matches. KENTA Strong I was good...Morishima/Evans sounds like gold, and Stevens getting the win is awesome. - I love the Generico/Cannon and Delirious/Wicked matches. It's sick to see you using more indy talent like Cannon and SD...and those matches look real good. - Semi-finals seem alright. KENTA/Stevens has me interested...not really Mori/Rave. - Great to see Whitmer and Nigel put on an A match. Awesome stuff there. - Quack/Sydal got a good rating, and sounds like a great match that I'd love to see. - Interesting to see the tag champs in that big of a match, and then for there to be a rematch. They do work well together though. - This is about the only thing I'm a little low on. Having Joe leave the company with not really much buil to it, I donno. I think there should have been more of a formal send-off with one last big match (vs. Low Ki?!?), not an impromptu I Quit match. Not a bad idea, but I think a lot of fans would be mad, as they would have wanted to be there to see Joe's final match. And from the promo, I thought you meant down the roa,d not tonight. Kinda shocked me.

I've got some time so I'll hit some of the points here with responses [QUOTE=dean;259480]- I don't like the idea of the regular events having names of one-time shows, like The Bitter End and Gut Check. I think you should do what ROH does and name every show differently. The Weekly Warfare is a good idea though.[/QUOTE] My biggest weekness admittedly is coming up with individual show names....and having to come up with 12 a year is just bad. Some of the show titles will change. Some will stay the same. [QUOTE]- The format is excellent, except I think it might be a bit better if you gave a quick, one-line, almost formal sentence at the end with the time and finish. Like [b]Takeshi Morishima defeated KENTA in 19:05 with the Amaze Impact[/b], just so we could get the match-times for every match and make it easier to see who won.[/QUOTE] That is actually something I've been meaning to do for a few shows now but for whatever reason I keep forgetting to do it. Probably an offshoot of trying to do the shows while also doing stuff for work at the same time. [QUOTE]- An EG Memorial Cup is a brilliant idea in my eyes, and shoulda been done a long time ago.[/QUOTE] Thanks for that. I figured what with Eddie having competed in ROH it made sense for them to do one as opposed to just a random indy tribute tourney. [QUOTE]- SD making his debut seems pretty cool, but I donno about him loosing. I think a Mori vs. Dragon semi-final coulda been great.[/QUOTE] My main reason behind not taking him to the finals was that he is working for a LOT of other feds currently including having locked up a touring contract in Japan. Which means that his show schedule may be a little irregular for a while. [QUOTE]- I love the Generico/Cannon and Delirious/Wicked matches. It's sick to see you using more indy talent like Cannon and SD...and those matches look real good.[/QUOTE] Being pretty close to where IWA:MS was running shows for a long time (Highland is only about 40 mins away) I really dig Cannon...so of course he is losing like crazy ;). My goal with ROH was to not try to rush to be global or even national...but to build the company up by keeping the product the same. In-ring work first, and solid storylines. I didn't want to rush out and sign a bunch of Sports Entertainment guys...change the product and run 3 shows a week. I added a weekly show to keep me interested and signed some guys who I think would fit well. [QUOTE]- Semi-finals seem alright. KENTA/Stevens has me interested...not really Mori/Rave.[/QUOTE] - Morishima/Rave was a necessary evil as I have been keeping Rave strong for some fun things I have planned down the road. As a match though it wasn't something that really tweaked my interest as much as most everything else in the tourney. [QUOTE]- This is about the only thing I'm a little low on. Having Joe leave the company with not really much buil to it, I donno. I think there should have been more of a formal send-off with one last big match (vs. Low Ki?!?), not an impromptu I Quit match. Not a bad idea, but I think a lot of fans would be mad, as they would have wanted to be there to see Joe's final match. And from the promo, I thought you meant down the roa,d not tonight. Kinda shocked me.[/QUOTE] I dunno if you've read all the previous posts before the tourney show. But the Joe thing started in Week 1 of June actually. It started with rumors of a contract offer to a "main event star." Then in week 3 it was hinted at again with a "wrestlingobserver.com" news item. Joe and Danielson were tag champs at the time and immediately dropped the tag belts at the show to KENTA/Mori following the news item as Danielson looked very distracted the entire match. In Week 4 of July I ran another "WrestlingObserver.com" news column which discussed a quick cancellation of the weekly press release as well as the following: [QUOTE]- Speaking of odd moves...If you checked the ROHWrestling.com website yesterday between 12 and 1 you may have seen a note that this weeks "Weekly Warfare" had been specially titled "A Farewell to Dragons." This note was up for about 45 minutes before being pulled and replaced with "Info on Weekly Warfare coming soon."[/QUOTE] At the next show Danielson was not there and Joe talked about him being off "trying to figure out his future." Danielson went on to lose his match to Strong in the first round of the Eddie Cup (the first round took place over 2 Weekly Warfares) again looking completely distracted. After the match Joe came out to confront Danielson and it turned into a brawl. Then the Eddie Cup show happened. So basically I was letting it be known that there was some big name leaving the company and laying the bait that it was going to be Danielson...booking the impromptu I Quit match that I was hoping the people that have been following along with would think "oh here comes Danielson leaving the company" and pulling the swerve. Once Joe finally signed the written deal with WCW I only had a week to finish things off and I figured that I would make the best out of it that I could. I figured about 3 months of "game time" hinting at it and a nice swerve was as good as I could pull off.

Some real cool matches. Cool to bring Sumner in...I never even thought of that and he could fit in real well in the ROH under-card. The Cannon stuff is really coming along great. I can't wait to see where that goes. Whitmer being an absolute dick seems awesome too. Giving such a bland dude a good character is always a good idea. Good show, sad to not see any B matches or higher. Nothing is better than seeing the beautiful green of a B or B+ grade.

Predictions: - [B]Matt Sydal[/B] (c) vs. Takeshi Morishima for the ROH World Heavyweight Championship - I love the idea of Sydal as World Champion, but the idea of him beating Morishima is a little unrealistic to me, just because of the size difference. When I think of Morishima, I think of a huge monster of a man pounding the crap out of his opponent. I'm hoping Sydal takes this win though... - BJ Whitmer (c) vs. [B]Bryan Danielson[/B] for the ROH North American Championship - Whitmer's character is absolutely incredible... but I'm hoping Danielson pulls a win out here, just so he can gain some credibility and become a threat to the World title. - Roderick Strong vs. [B]Alex Shelley[/B] in a 30 Minute IronMan Match - I can see Shelley pulling out a win against Roddy here. This is definitely going to be match of the night, maybe even a match of the year candidate! - Jimmy Rave vs. Jack Evans vs. [B]Delirious[/B] - Delirious has my vote... he is the man and I would love to see him in a title run! - [B]KENTA[/B] vs. Super Dragon - Wow... this match has money written all over it. I'm hoping for Super Dragon, but I can see KENTA taking the win in this one.

Archived