Beyond A Shadowed Flame: Rookie to Legend Dynasty (C-Verse)

[COLOR="Green"](Author’s note: Before I begin I should give you, the reader, fair warning. In addition to this thread, I’m also writing one for a two-player dynasty on TEW2007. Thus, any updates might be slower than you may wish. Please bear with me; it takes time to write everything up [as any other “closet writers” would know] and I have every intent to continuing this thread until stopped by outside forces. This concludes my public service announcement; let’s get to the background, shall we?)[/COLOR] [B][I]January 2006[/I][/B] Today was the day I was going to do it. It was my 17th birthday, and I was standing outside Bone Breakers, a local wrestling gym in the suburbs of Baltimore, MD. For several years, I had been internally debating whether I really wanted to go into this business known as professional wrestling. I had watched Richard Eisen’s SWF become the wrestling powerhouse that it was today, and watched as Tommy Cornell made his meteoric rise through the HGW/TCW ranks. It was rather often that I had idle daydreams of emulating the success of Cornell, and becoming a world champion. That was the largest part of what had led me here today. I had read books that former (and some current) wrestlers had written; about how you had to pay your dues and take your lumps before becoming famous. I had no problem with that. I had also read that this business was pure torture on your body, and also that there was no guarantee that any give person would ever have a great career. I could live with that, too. The thing that got to me, though, was the “pure” aspect of wrestling—of two people (or teams thereof) facing one another just to see who was the best. Deep inside, I thought I was ready to try my hand at making a name for myself in wrestling. So thinking, I took a deep breath and walked inside. And on that day, my life was changed forever. [B][I]Four Months Later: Last Week of May, 2006[/I][/B] As I stood with the other dozen or so people graduating from the gym today, I knew that I was nowhere near the upper echelon of our small group. I wasn’t what they called a “blue chipper,” which made me all the more determined to succeed in my newly chosen field. Although most of the people specialized in varying fields of study while in the gym, I was the only one who managed to learn a technical-based style of wrestling, although most of the trainers there thought I should work more with my brawling skills, given my size. However, I always had a fondness for a technical-style match, and trained in that style to better suit my tastes. One by one, the head instructor called out names, giving them some form of documentation that they had successfully completed a profession wrestling training course. I was the last to be called, and as I held my “diploma,” I began to think of where I could try to find work. I knew of a few promotions I was looking into. I wanted to stay around the Mid-Atlantic area, to be near my family and my father (a cancer survivor) in case of emergencies. Given that, I was left with but a few options: Mid-Atlantic Wrestling (the front-runner for where I wanted to go, as I had been watching the federation since its’ inception just recently), New York City Wrestling (technical wrestling equals tradition, after all), and United States Pro Wrestling (where a family-friendly atmosphere meant that I should have little trouble fitting in). The question was: would any of these federations be willing to take a chance on an unproven 17-year-old technical worker? I had a feeling that I would find out soon enough. My life as a true professional wrestler had just begun. This is my story. [B] ***NEXT POST: Introducing the protagonist of our story***[/B]

I just want you to know who I am... Character’s Name: The Phoenix Short name: Phoenix Birth: January, 1989 [COLOR="Green"](Author’s note: This is younger than I am in real life. I just wanted the career to last longer!)[/COLOR] Profile: A native of Baltimore, MD, Duane “The Phoenix” Strong was a long-time wrestling fan who finally decided to enter the business at the age of 17. He defies most wrestling logic by applying his 6’1”, 365-pound frame to technical holds. Size: Large Heavyweight Wrestler Type: Technician Nationality: American Based In: America Protégé of: None Disposition: Strong Face Language Skills: English (Fluent), German (Basic) Hair: Yes Mask: None Starting Statistic Set: Realistic [U][I][B]Starting Skills:[/B][/I][/U] [B]Rumble Skills:[/B] Brawling: 5.0% (F) Power: 10.0% (F) Strong Style: 10.0% (F) Hardcore: 5.0% (F) MMA: 0.0% (F) [B]Technical Skills:[/B] Mat Wrestling: 40.0% (C-) Chain Wrestling: 40.0% (C-) Submissions: 40.0% (C-) [B]Flying Skills:[/B] Aerial: 5.0% (F) Flashiness: 5.0% (F) [B]Performance Skills:[/B] Basics: 40.0% (C-) Psychology: 30.0% (D) Safety: 30.0% (D) Consistency: 40.0% (C-) Selling: 10.0% (F) [B]Physical Skills:[/B] Athleticism: 20.0% (E) Toughness: 20.0% (E) Stamina: 30.0% (D) [B]Backstage Skills:[/B] Business: F Booking: F Respect: F [B]Other Skills:[/B] Intensity: 10.0% (F) Stiffness: 10.0% (F) Resilience: A* Menace: 5.0% (F) Refereeing: F Spirit: F ***NEXT POST: Finding work, and arranging a schedule***

Working Man's Dues [I][B]Tuesday, Week 1 of June, 2006[/B] 9:02 AM[/I] The ringing of my cell phone made me jump. I was in my apartment some 30 miles northeast of Baltimore, waiting to hear from the first company I had applied to work for. With any luck, I would get some good news right here. Forcing the butterflies in my stomach to settle down, I answered the phone. “Hello.” “Is this Duane Strong?” “Speaking.” “This is Karen Killer, with Mid Atlantic Wrestling.” I almost had to do a double-take. It did only take the first call to hear from the company I wanted to start with! “Ah, yes, thank you for getting back to me so quickly. How can I help you?” “Mr. Chord and I have looked over your application, and called Bone Breakers to verify your training, and everything seems to be in order. In addition, I’ve actually watched you in part during your training, and was surprised that a larger person like yourself would prefer the technical style.” “What can I say, I’ve always liked that type of match.” “Well, from what I have seen, I think you would be a good fit with us here in Mid-Atlantic Wrestling. I’ve been authorized to offer you an eight-month contract as one of the few babyfaces in our federation. Your pay will depend on how well you do in your matches. Once we get to our first show, three weeks from today, we can give you a better idea of where you will fit in the card, although I am thinking the upper midcard with your technical prowess. So, how about it, Mr. Strong?” I hesitated but for a moment. “Ma’am, I think we have a deal.” “Excellent. If you could come down to our offices sometime this week, we can get the requisite paperwork filled out and I can introduce you to the rest of the staff. How easy would it be for you to get to Newport News, Virginia?” I thought for a few moments. “I could be there tomorrow; it’s only about a four to five hour drive depending on traffic around D.C. Shall we say noon tomorrow?” “That would be fine. Welcome to Mid Atlantic Wrestling, Duane.” As I hung up the phone, I let out a whoop of celebration. I was officially in the business, and with the federation I wanted to work with. Things were starting to look up. ***NEXT POST: The Phoenix begins his in-ring career. Following is the card for Phoenix’s debut night, at MAW’s first main event of this dynasty. Phoenix’s match is highlighted in bold-italics, and will be the only one written out. [B]MAW Changing History[/B] [I](Tuesday, Week 4 in June)[/I] The Mean Machine vs. D.C. Rayne The Rock City Stars vs. Oscar Golden and Des Davids Eddie Howard vs. Steven Parker [B][I]The Phoenix vs. Flash Savage[/I][/B] The Gods of Thunder vs. Call to Action Expect the match to be posted before Tuesday morning, Eastern (US) Time.

The debut of The Phoeniz [B][I]LIVE from Stanley Hall, MD, Mid Atlantic Wrestling presents: [SIZE="4"]CHANGING HISTORY[/SIZE] Paid Attendance: 79[/I][/B] Call to Action defeated Gods of Thunder Eddie Howard def. Steven Parker [B](my match third: Will be detailed below.)[/B] Oscar Golden/Des Davids defeated Rock City Stars Mean Machine def. D.C. Rayne, retains Mid-Atlantic Title [B][I][U]The Phoenix vs. Flash Savage: $800 to winner, $200 to loser[/U][/I][/B] [I]This is a standard singles match, scheduled for one fall with a one hour time limit. Both wrestlers are starting with 20% energy. Your commentator for this match is Marv Earnest, working alone in the booth.[/I] “We’ve had a good card so far tonight here in Stanley Hall, and our next match promises to be a contrast of two styles. It will be Flash Savage, one half of The Canadian Blondes, taking on the newest member of the MAW roster, The Phoenix. I haven’t heard much about Phoenix since he signed with us earlier this month, but my sources tell me that he is a sound technical wrestler. Both wrestlers have gotten into the ring, and referee Jay Fair calls for the bell…here we go! “Collar and elbow tie-up, broken by Phoenix who drops Savage with an open-handed chop. Phoenix looks to stomp his opponent, but Flash gets out of the way, and back on his feet in a hurry! “Savage going on the attack now, looking for a back kick, caught by Phoenix, who is looking for a single-leg trip, but Savage easily hops over the trip attempt. Back to a neutral position, Savage catches Phoenix off-guard with a spinning back kick, and a spinning backhand shot to the face. Phoenix in a spot of trouble here, and Phoenix is stunned by an Enzuigiri! Savage with an advantage, and looks for a Dropsault, but Phoenix sidesteps the attempt! “Savage gets to his feet, but now it’s Phoenix with the initiative…and Savage walks into an Inverse Drop Toe Hold. Now Phoenix looks to be working on his ground game, as he starts working over the legs of Flash Savage with a well-executed Knee Bar on the Canadian. “Don’t forget, folks, that still to come tonight in our main event, D.C. Rayne will be going solo as he challenges The Mean Machine for the Mid Atlantic Championship. Back in the ring, however, Phoenix has released the Knee Bar and now is wrenching back on the head of Flash Savage in a surfboard maneuver. Wrenching back one last time, Phoenix drops the hold and gets to his feet. Savage slow to come to a sitting position--wait, here comes Phoenix from behind…no! Phoenix looked to kick Savage right between the shoulder blades, but the more experienced worker rolls out of the way! Savage back to his feet again, surprising Phoenix--wait, I spoke too soon. Savage looked to be going for a DDT, but Phoenix broke out of it and Savage is back on the mat after a Side Headlock takedown! “Phoenix seems to be pausing for a quick breather as Savage regains his feet, now Phoenix trying a Palm Thrust to the chest of Savage, who blocks and tries to counter with a right hand. Phoenix blocks that, and unleashes a HUGE European uppercut that drops Savage to the mat again! Savage once more in trouble, as the rookie capitalizes by going back to the legs, wrenching the knee by pulling the leg away from Flash. Now Phoenix moving back towards the head of his opponent, and…well, here’s a move you don’t see much of these days, as Phoenix has an old-fashioned body scissors nicely applied to Flash Savage! “Phoenix releases the hold, now what is he going to do with Flash here…wait, there’s our answer as he has a Camel Clu-no, wait, just a rear chinlock from a seated position here. Savage is taking some punishment here…but a foot on the ropes forces the break of the hold. Phoenix is content to let his foe get to his feet before catching him coming in with another Palm Thrust to the chest. Savage bounces back off the ropes, staggers forward and is caught in a front facelock for good measure. Savage manages to finally stagger out of it, but Phoenix is prepared, landing a forearm, now a second, and a third for good measure, dropping Savage once again! Looking at the legs of Savage, Phoenix wants to continue the attack, but Savage slips away from an attempted Leg Grapevine. “Getting to his feet, Flash runs in, and a picture-perfect running dropkick to the chest and face of Phoenix sends the Baltimore native down! Savage to the other side of the ring, and here comes a Rolling Senton, but nobody home as Phoenix rolls out of the way in time! Savage is stunned on the mat, and now Phoenix has Flash by the feet…could be a Boston Crab here. No, wait, Phoenix starting to spin, and about three revolutions into the Giant Swing, Phoenix finally drops Savage, looking a bit disoriented himself. He tries for that Leg Grapevine with the heel hook variant again, but Savage again managing to slip away from the larger man here. “Savage to his feet, letting Phoenix close in before a side spinning kick, then three more kicks to the thighs, sending the big man down to the canvas! Flash walks up to the head, and a corkscrew legdrop lands on the throat of Phoenix. Flash struggling to pick up the larger man, but Phoenix breaks loose and goes to stomp the foot-wait, Savage must have sensed it, as he is backing Phoenix up with kicks to the torso and knees, finally dropping Phoenix once more. Undeterred, he tries for his patented Rolling Senton again, but once more Phoenix manages to avoid the attack! “Savage has put himself in a precarious position here, as he is at the mercy of Phoenix. And one more time, the technician from Baltimore is working on the legs of his opponent, applying another Knee Bar, and following it up with an elbow drop to the knee. Savage rolls to his stomach, trying to shake off the pain, but to no avail as Phoenix applies that rear chinlock from the seated position once again. Now, a few seconds later, Phoenix breaks the hold, letting Flash get to a sitting position…and there’s the kick to the spine that he tried earlier. While Savage is stunned, Phoenix applies an arm bar, but Flash breaks the hold. Side Spinning Kick, narrowly avoided by Phoenix. Now Phoenix trying for an arm bar takedown, the usual precursor to his finisher, the Blaze of Glory…but Savage rolls through, sending Phoenix staggering forward for a moment. Flash back to his feet, and a running dropkick seems to be in order, and there it-no, Phoenix tries to catch Savage with a hard punch but Flash uses it to regain his footing. What a move by Flash there! Now Flash has the head of Phoenix, but Phoenix easily breaks Flash’s second attempt at a DDT, tries for a Fireman’s Carry takedown, but blocked by Savage as he lands on his feet. “Savage turns around, narrowly avoids a European uppercut and catches Phoenix in the head with a spinning back kick! Flash must sense opportunity, as he goes up top, Phoenix back to his feet…Savage with a Flying Body Press, and here comes Jay Fair to make the count…1…2…3! From out of nowhere, Savage finds a way to secure the pinfall and win the match! Our fans, however, seem to disagree, as they are chanting something I cannot repeat on-air…” [B]Result: Flash Savage pins The Phoenix at 8:00 after a Flying Body Press.[/B] [I]Match Rating: F[/I] [I]The Phoenix earns $200 for his efforts in-ring tonight.[/I] [B][I]After the show: celebration![/I][/B] I was sore beyond belief. I knew to be expecting it, but come on…my training in the gym never left me this sore! Sighing, I pressed an ice pack to my quadriceps, awaiting the reason that Rip Chord called us together. From what I had overheard while in the locker room, Rip never came down to talk to everyone as a group unless it was something highly important. A few moments later, when he came in, he did not disappoint on that subject. In fact, he got right to the facts. “Ladies and gentlemen, I have two announcements to make. The first is that MAW will now be shown on TV! Every Tuesday night, at 9:00 eastern on the East Coast, Mid Atlantic Wrestling will present MAW Live Action. This should be very good to all of our careers-not to mention your wallets. Secondly, some of the wrestling websites have begun to dub us a ‘Small’ sized federation instead of a ‘Local’ one. We may be getting some more new faces in, that will be handled by Karen and myself. In any event, if anyone is interested, dinner is on us tonight. Congratulations to you all, without you this would not be possible!” A general cheer rose from the throats of the workers, myself included. I hadn’t made any friends yet, but somehow I felt right at home here. And a part of me was satisfied that I had entered this business. ***NEXT POST: Phoenix prepares for his in-ring television debut!***

Spreading the news [B][I]Thursday, Week 4 of June, 2006[/I][/B] By the time I woke up Thursday morning, I found that I was able to move a lot better than I had been able to the previous two days. Hardly feeling any pain at all, I decided to take a drive, just on a whim. That’s how, thirty minutes later, I found myself pulling into my father’s driveway. Cutting off the engine, I reveled in the relative quiet around my childhood home before knocking on the front door and letting myself in. As I expected, my father was reclining in his usual chair, with one of the two family cats sleeping by his feet. He turned to look at me, smiling as he waved. “Hey, Dad. I was in the area; thought I’d drop by.” I heard him wheeze, and then watched as he covered the hole in his throat with his right thumb. “What’s going on?” It was all I could do to keep from blurting out my reply. “Remember about six months ago, when I signed up for that wrestling training?” He nodded, so I continued. “Well, I had my first actual professional match two nights ago.” Wheeze, then: “Did you win?” “No, he caught me off-guard with a high cross body. However, that’s not the main thing.” At this, I smiled. “This coming Tuesday night, around 9:00, try turning on channel 38.” “Why?” “Because the promotion I joined has a new TV show that starts next Tuesday.” He looked surprised, to say the least. “I thought the only wrestling…on TV was SWF…and TCW.” “That’s why this is a new show, Dad.” I smiled. “From my understanding, I’m supposed to be on the card for that night. That’s right, Dad…your son will be wrestling on TV.” There was a pause for him to take this into account. “Where are you going to be at?” “Some small arena in New England. I forget off-hand, as I have directions in the truck. I’m starting my drive up there tomorrow morning.” He looked at me with a look that all but asked if I was out of my mind. “You’re going to drive your truck…that far?” I had to give him credit. My truck was a beat-up mongrel, a 1986 Ford F-150, which got absolutely horrendous gas mileage. However, it was mine, bought and paid for. “Well, I have to drive something, Dad. We aren’t well-enough known yet to have a jet or even a chartered bus. Everyone has to get there on their own. My truck will have to do.” “You could borrow-“ “No, Dad. You need a reliable vehicle yourself for all of your doctor’s appointments in downtown Baltimore. I appreciate the offer, but I can’t take your Jeep. Besides, I have the bed of the truck covered, and I have an inflatable mattress I can use every night. I’ll be fine.” “But what if your truck breaks down?” “I have a little money put aside. I can find a used vehicle along the way and pay cash if I absolutely must.” Another pause, this one quite long. “Are you sure?” “Dad, trust me on this. I promise you, I’ll be fine. We’ve had the brakes changed, the oil changed, and I have music ready to listen to during the drive. Most of everything I own is in storage anyway, as I gave notice that I was going to vacate the apartment by the end of this month. Today I’ll be doing the last bit of it, and I’ll leave the keys with you to turn in on the first of July.” “All right…wait, I need to know. What’s your…finishing move?” At this, I smiled. “Dad, you know my nickname, I’ve had it for years now. You knew I would have to find something to fit it. Well, my main finisher is the [B]Blaze of Glory[/B].” “Which is…?” “From a standing position, I take the opponent to the mat with an armbar. Then, while he is disoriented from being taken down, I go to his feet and slap on an old-fashioned ankle lock. There are a couple others I use on rare occasions, as well. A Double-Underhook Facebuster, a Sit-Out Powerbomb, and a Scorpion Deathlock are the other three I use on occasion.” “I see. Well, if you have moving…to do you had better…get a move on.” “I will.” I walked over and embraced him, the man who introduced me to the world of professional wrestling a dozen years ago. “I’ll be back when I can.” “Be careful out there…call me when you get there.” “I’ll do that.” As I pulled out of the driveway and got back on the road, I was bound and determined that I would win my first televised match, and not just for my sake. I’d do it for my father, a cancer survivor and the one person I could count on to be there for me in this world. I owed him that much, and much more. [B][I]State of the Phoenix segment: End of June 2006[/I][/B] Starting Finances: $1,000 Less Living Expenses: -$100 (Sleeping in the bed of my truck) Match Earnings: $200 [I]CURRENT CASH ON HAND: $1,100[/I] [B][I]No skills went up this month.[/I][/B] [B][I]Match Record for Phoenix:[/I][/B] [B]This Month (also Overall): 0-1[/B] Singles Matches: 0-1 [B][I]Match Review for The Phoenix: June 2006[/I][/B] (1) Flash Savage def The Phoenix in 8:00 via pinfall. Rating: F, Match Winnings: $200 ***NEXT POST: MAW Live Action, the debut episode! Below is the card:*** [B][I]The Phoenix vs. Stan “The Man” Manna[/I][/B] Ricky Douglas vs. Mainstream Hernandez The Mean Machine vs. D.C. Rayne Al Coleman vs. Des Davids Rockin’ Ryan Turner vs. Flash Savage

Look, Ma, I'm on TV! [I][B]LIVE from the White Oak Athletic Association in White Oak, PA, Mid Atlantic Wrestling is pleased to debut: [SIZE="4"]LIVE ACTION[/SIZE] Held in front of a paid attendance of 29 people[/B][/I] [B][U]Tonight’s Matches: Results[/U][/B] Flash Savage def. Rockin’ Ryan Turner Des Davids def. Al Coleman [B][I](The Phoenix vs. Stan “The Man” Manna to be featured below)[/I][/B] The Mean Machine def. D.C. Rayne Mainstream Hernandez def. Ricky Douglas [B][I][U]The Phoenix vs. Stan “The Man” Manna: $1,200 to winner, $300 to loser[/U][/I][/B] [B]This is a standard singles match, scheduled for one fall with a one hour time limit.[/B] [I]Phoenix is starting this match behind in energy, 20% to Manna’s 23%.[/I] [COLOR="Green"]For this and all other TV shows, the match report will be written by Brandy McDonald, a writer for the (fictitious) CVWrestlepedia.com. (Author’s note: just like TV shows don’t have much notable commentary, but the major shows seem to step it up a notch there [“Cornell! Cornell! By Gawd, Cornell has reached the peak of the mountain!”], I’m trying to emulate that by keeping the TV show notes smaller. If anything warrants it, I’ll write out the TV show commentary as I did for Changing History last month. That’s enough yapping from me.)[/COLOR] Start with a staredown in ring, how melodramatic. Phoenix tries to stomp on Manna’s foot, but missed and eats knuckles instead. Phoenix escapes a hammerlock and gets a full minute of offense in, primarily on Manna’s legs. Manna eventually to his feet, tries to attack but instead gets an instant headache via Palm Thrust. Another minute of offense from Phoenix, again mainly on the legs. Anyone else sense a pattern here? Attempted Boston Crab goes nowhere as Manna gets to ropes. Phoenix looks for a few kicks, misses and eats a knee to the face. From behind, Manna with a School Boy-like that is going to work with such a size difference. Phoenix gets a 1-count, goes back to attack. Manna dropped by a vicious-looking short-arm back elbow. Boston Crab locked in on Manna (shouldn’t that be Baltimore Crab for Phoenix?) Dropkick to seated Manna missed as the potential victim moved! A minute of offense for Manna: side headlock, punch, chop, headbutt, splash…yawn. Manna tries Boston Crab, Phoenix slides out from the back side of it. Phoenix misses a kick, Manna plants him with a DDT. An actual nice move from Manna. Call the media-oh, wait, I [U]AM[/U]the media. Manna working on body now-splash, Camel Clutch. The Iranian Terror he is not. Tries Small Package again, once again it fails. You think Manna would learn by now. Only a 1 count. Phoenix tries elbow, blocked, doesn’t miss second using short arm variant. Old-school body scissors here, surprised no one does that much anymore. Arm bar attempt, slipped away did Manna. Manna quick to top rope, Phoenix shaking ropes to block Phoenix tried to crotch but was kicked away by Manna. Through the air, Flying Body Press…2-count only! Almost a repeat of last week’s match! Both to feet, another Small Package, this one FINALLY goes through but only for 2! Manna still on offense, looks for Flying Knee but eats clothesline instead! Phoenix goes to legs, but Manna rolled back to his feet. Running Bulldog misses as Phoenix let Manna’s momentum create distance. Forearm to back of the head! One of my favorite moves, as Phoenix connects. Hard-hitting front backbreaker from Phoenix, who then works on the leg of Manna. Phoenix goes to stomp, misses and is put in Small Package for 1-count. Manna whips Phoenix to corner, looking for the Rockin’ Roller but Phoenix breaks easily. Somebody needs to tell Manna that it would take someone larger than him to powerbomb Phoenix. Manna uses a Knife Edge Chop, follows with a Splash for good measure. Phoenix whipped into corner, avoids a corner dropkick. Phoenix now with momentum, worked for almost 3 minutes on legs and body of Manna Phoenix attempts Blaze of Glory, Manna shoves away European uppercut, second attempt at the finisher, but Manna to his feet before the hold is locked DDT from Manna blocked, Phoenix counters with Slingshot Suplex and gets a 2-count. Blaze of Glory finally locked in, but Manna barely able to escape the hold! Phoenix unable to apply it for second time, but the crowd is loving fact that Manna can’t pull off a move Manna unable to land a Sleeper Hold Neckbreaker, as fans start chant for Phoenix DDT, Japanese Power variety by Phoenix who just KILLS Manna with that move! Manna trying to fight back, Pump Kick countered into High Backdrop Scorpion Deathlock! Manna can’t take any more, it’s over! The fans applaud after this match, and rightly so. Nice TV debut from both athletes. [B][I]Result: The Phoenix def. Stan “The Man” Manna at 15:50 via submission from a Scorpion Deathlock[/I][/B] [B][I]Match Rating: B[/I][/B] [I]The Phoenix earns $1,200 for his in-ring performance tonight.[/I] [B]Post-show: Wait, we have a gym?[/B] I looked over at Stan, who had put a heating pad on his back to try to work out some of the knots. “What do you mean, we have a gym?” “You mean Karen and Rip didn’t tell you? In the basement of the MAW building is a small gym we use to work on our skills. We have several trainers there to focus on our needs.” “Wait a minute…I know they won’t work for free…what’s the cost?” “Depends on how good you are at something and how much you want to try to improve at it at once.” “Really….” That got me to thinking. If I could improve myself in that way…I could be the Mid Atlantic Champion in the not-too-distant future! I resolved myself to visit the gym/trainers’ office as soon as I got back to Newport News. I was feeling a little sore, but I figured that training knows no time-outs. Anyways, I had to get better in case I got the call to fight for a title. If it cost money, so be it. How else was I going to improve? ***NEXT POST: In the gym, and travel time***

The Eye of the Tig--er, Phoenix [B][I]Thursday, Week 1 of July, 2006[/I][/B] While the rest of the United States was celebrating Independence Day, I was busy making my way south, following I-95 all the way back through Maryland and into Virginia. I was in Newport News by 1:00 that afternoon, and parked at MAW’s main office by 1:15. As I walked in, I noticed a sign I hadn’t seen before, indicating that the gym was through a door on my right and down the following staircase. Shrugging, I went through the door, down the stairs, and into what appeared to be your basic run-of-the-mill wrestling clinic--kind of like what I went through at Bone Breakers, actually. I felt right at home as the only trainer in sight walked up to me. “You must be new here.” I simply nodded and replied, “Stan told me we had a gym on Tuesday, I thought I’d come check it out.” “Ah, yes. The Phoenix, or do you prefer Duane?” I chuckled. “You have the better of me, it seems. Either one is fine.” “Well, Duane, I’m Vaughn Nightwind. Welcome to the MAW Dungeon. Now, how can I help you out today?” “Well…there’s quite a bit I’d like to do, but I think I want to get started on toughening myself up. This time last month I was finally able to be moving around after a match two days ago. I don’t want to have to wait that long.” “So you want to work on your toughness, huh? OK, not a problem. Let’s see where you are in terms of toughness, anyways…” For the next fifteen minutes, I was worked over thoroughly with wrestling blows, holds, and all-in-all general wrestling punishment. I was feeling a bit sore afterwards, as Vaughn laughed. “You still have much to improve on, indeed. So, how much time do you have to spare today?” “As long as it takes, sir.” “Ah, that’s the attitude I like to hear. Tell you what, let’s work on it for about two hours today. If you don’t feel tougher by the time we’re through today, the cost will be on the house.” “Before we get started, how does that work?” He paused for a moment. “You know, you’re not the first person to have asked me that. Here’s the basic concept. Depending on how much you want to improve at once, and also at how good (or fit, or what-have-you) you are at something is how much we’ll charge. In your case, right now, for the amount of toughness I’m going to try to add to you, it’ll be almost $1,400.” One would have thought I was shot out of a cannon, I got up so fast. “$1,400?! That is highway robbery!” He smiled grimly. “Everyone says the same thing, Duane. But here is the rub: any money you pay us for training goes right back into the prize budget. That is why Rip can award a total of $1,000-plus each match. Most of the guys come back here, spend it on training, and replenish the prize budget for the following show. You would be no different from anybody else.” Slowly, I began to work my mind around that bit of information. “That might explain why MAW isn’t out of business yet; as I know Rip started the company with his own money…I thought it would have dried out by now, but your argument makes sense. Although I still have misgivings about this…” I sighed, and pressed on, “let’s do it. Try your best to earn my money, Vaughn.” He grinned. “Challenge accepted.” [B][I]Two hours later…[/I][/B] I had to admit, he had a point. The last twenty minutes he worked with me, I didn’t feel nearly as much pain as I had earlier in the session. Either I had become deadened to the sensation of pain, or his training worked. Either way… “A deal is a deal, Vaughn. You win.” “You look wiped out, Duane. I guarantee you’ll sleep well tonight. You live around here?” “If you call northeastern Maryland around here, then yes.” “Nah, too far away. Tell you what, they have a small room set aside on the second floor with cots for anyone having issues with a place to stay. Crash there tonight, and tomorrow you can head off towards your next event.” “That sounds like a winner to me, Vaughn. Thanks again for the training, and letting me know what really goes on with the money.” “[I]De nada[/I]. My pleasure to properly welcome you to Mid Atlantic Wrestling, Duane. I hope I’ll be seeing you back here soon.” My lone thought was, [I]You can bet on that one[/I]. Tired, I managed to make it upstairs, take a nice long hot shower, and collapse in one of the five twin-sized beds set up in the room Vaughn mentioned. I was asleep twenty seconds later. [B][I]The Phoenix spent $1,380 to increase his Toughness rating from 20% (E) to 25% (D).[/I][/B] ***NEXT POST: Mid-Atlantic Wrestling’s Live Action is pre-empted by the main show of the month. Here is the card:*** [B][I]Titan vs. The Phoenix[/I][/B] The Mean Machine vs. D.C. Rayne Mainstream Hernandez vs. Stan “The Man” Manna Oscar Golden vs. Atlas Flash Savage vs. Eddie Howard Steven Parker vs. Erik Strong

Sins of the father.... [B][I]LIVE from Atkins Fire Department in Atkins, VA, Mid-Atlantic Wrestling presents: [SIZE="5"]LIVING IN SIN[/SIZE] Held in front of a paid attendance of 103[/I][/B]. [U][B]Tonight’s Card:[/B][/U] Erik Strong def. Steven Parker Flash Savage def. Eddie Howard [B][I](Titan vs. The Phoenix is below)[/I][/B] Oscar Golden def. Atlas Mainstream Hernandez def. Stan “The Man” Manna The Mean Machine def. D.C. Rayne, retains Mid Atlantic Championship [B][I][U]Titan vs. The Phoenix: $1,200 to winner, $300 to loser[/U][/I][/B] [I]This is a standard singles match, scheduled for one fall with a one hour time limit.[/I] [I]Both wrestlers are starting at 20% energy.[/I] [B]Your commentator for this match is Marv Earnest, once again working alone in the booth for this major show of the month.[/B] “Ladies and gentlemen, our last match was a classic, although the ending left much to be desired as Flash Savage won the match by using a handful of Eddie Howard’s tights. However, our next match will feature two of the larger men in Mid Atlantic Wrestling, as Titan brings his power style into the ring to face our rising newcomer, The Phoenix. Both men have entered the ring, and referee Jay Fair calls for the bell. This match is underway! “Titan immediately tries to assert his height advantage, catching Phoenix with a Headbutt. Phoenix staggers back off of the ropes, and walks into a choke hold by Titan-wait, Phoenix slips out of it and delivers his own headbutt…but Titan just shrugs it off and punches Phoenix with a straight left hand. Titan looking for an advantage, tries to land a clubbing blow, but Phoenix avoids it and tries a Knife Edge Chop, only to have Titan kick him in the gut for his efforts! Titan backs up to the ropes, and comes charging in…and Phoenix somehow sends Titan airborne with a backdrop! That’s something we rarely see here in MAW, Titan getting backdropped like that. “Now the technician from Baltimore doing what he does best, working over the legs of his opponent…wait, Titan squirms out of a Knee Bar and catches Phoenix with a Knee Lift! Now Titan to the head-wait, Phoenix blocked the step to his face and puts Titan off his balance for a moment…and Phoenix capitalizes with an European Uppercut to stagger the larger Canadian! Phoenix catches a stunned Titan with a Fireman’s Carry, and has a rear chinlock cinched in. “Don’t forget, folks, later tonight we have D.C. Rayne trying once again to take the Mid Atlantic Championship from The Mean Machine. Rayne is 0 for 2 against the champion; can he finally taste victory tonight? Also still to come tonight, the other half of the Gods of Thunder, Atlas, will be taking on Oscar Golden in singles competition. “Back in the ring, Phoenix has finally dropped the hold, and bounces off the ropes…but Titan moves out of the way, and Phoenix splashes nothing but the canvas! Now the Canadian has Phoenix to his feet, and there’s a Bear Hug applied! Titan seems to be trying to work on the back of Phoenix…but a hard palm thrust to the face breaks the hold quickly! Phoenix quickly around to the back, putting a hammerlock on Titan before jumping slightly to land a forearm shot to the back of the head, which gets a small pop from the crowd. Phoenix reaching up for Titan’s head, but the larger man slips behind…and lands a Full Nelson Butt Bomb, what impact on that move as Phoenix’s face contorts in pain! Now Titan trying for a mount position, but Phoenix manages to slip away from it. Both men back on their feet, and Phoenix with a hard arm wringer, forcing Titan to the mat…and here we go again, as Phoenix continues to work on the legs of the Canadian. “This is just a reminder that every Tuesday night, Mid Atlantic Wrestling is on East Coast Today at 9:00. You’ll get to see all of your favorite MAW wrestlers on Live Action, and get to watch the drama unfold before your eyes…live! “In the meantime, Titan has gotten back to his feet, but it doesn’t last long as Phoenix drops him with a short arm clothesline from the right side. Phoenix going back to the legs, has both of them in hand-wait, Titan forces Phoenix away by breaking whatever hold Phoenix had in mind there. Both men back on their feet, and Phoenix walks into a huge bear hug-no, Phoenix with that Palm Thrust to the face breaks another hold, looking for a neckbr-yet another counter, and Titan drills Phoenix into the mat with a DDT! A nice show of counter-wrestling by the brawler from Canada, and now Phoenix could be in trouble here. “Phoenix brought back to his feet, only to be dropped by a front slam. Titan pulls his opponent up again, and a HARD Irish Whip into the corner. He’s not wasting any time here, putting the boots to Phoenix over and over again until Phoenix finally falls prone on the canvas. Titan seems to think he has the advantage here, and I’d be inclined to agree with him as he picks Phoenix up. Hang on…Phoenix shoves Titan back and catches him walking back in with an open-handed chop that rings through the Atkins Fire Department! That’s followed up by a short-arm back elbow, and Titan goes down again. Now Phoenix is resuming his attack on the legs; that has been his main point of offense for most of the last five or six minutes of this contest. Finally, Titan regains his footing, but here comes Phoenix with an Irish Whip-no, countered by Titan, but his Big Boot is caught by Phoenix and thrown to the canvas. Now Titan looking for a side su-no, Phoenix slips away from it, tries to land a forearm shiver but instead takes a solid left-hand punch! Phoenix staggers back, and into a short-arm clothesline, as our fans start to get on Titan’s case, trying to taunt him into making a mistake. What is this, the Castle of Guy de Lombarde? Sorry, folks, I let my Monty Python references get away from me. “Back in the ring, the fans’ chanting seems to have worked, as Titan misses a big legdrop that could have spelled the end of this contest! That isn’t going to do his damaged leg any favors as Phoenix yanks on it once…twice…and third time’s the charm, as he acknowledges the fans at ringside. Now Phoenix going towards the head of Titan…and Phoenix gets caught with a low blow! Referee Jay Fair is furious with Titan, and I do not blame him; that should be a disqualification! “However, Titan just shrugs off the referee’s words and mounts Phoenix, raining down a flurry of right hands on the head of his opponent…and follows it up with a neckbreaker! You know he has to be trying to set Phoenix up for that Titanic Choke Slam as he goes again into a mount position-but Phoenix slips away and lands a front backbreaker to give himself a moment’s respite…and then returns to work on the legs of his opponent. “For those of you just coming in, this is Mid Atlantic Wrestling’s Living in Sin, being held here at the Atkins Fire Department. This is our third match of the night. Earlier on, Erik Strong defeated Steven Parker, and Flash Savage had to cheat to take the victory from Eddie Howard. Right now, though, Phoenix has controlled the better portion of the match and has focused most of his offense on the legs of one-half of the Gods of Thunder, Titan. Both men in a standing position-wait, Phoenix with an armbar takedown…no, now he’s going for the feet, but Titan kicks him away, sending Phoenix into the far right-hand corner. Titan back up, and is choking the wind right out of Phoenix with his size 17 boot. Jay Fair reaches four before Titan drops the hold, and rushes in with a corner clothesline to stun the Baltimore native even more! “Phoenix staggers out of the corner, as Titan grabs him from behind-no, Phoenix slips out, turns around, but gets caught by a short-arm clothesline to be sent down again! Titan smirks now that he seems to be in control as he picks Phoenix up yet again…and the entire ring shakes as the 365-pounder is powerbombed by Titan! Off the ropes, here he comes…and the big legdrop misses yet again! “Once again, Phoenix can sense an advantage as he goes back to work on the legs, and this crowd of one hundred plus is cheering him on, trying to push Phoenix to that next level to end the match. Titan is back up, in the clutches of Phoenix, could be a DDT here-wait, Titan slipped away and is looking for his finisher, but a well-placed palm thrust to the face stops it cold! Phoenix back on the attack, there’s that armbar takedown, into an anklelock! Phoenix has his finisher, the Blaze of Glory, locked in…but Titan manages to get to the bottom rope, forcing the break. For a moment there, I thought I heard the fat lady warming up. Phoenix coming back, undaunted, but gets carelessly tossed into the corner by Titan, who charges in with a clothesline for good measure as Phoenix falls to the mat! Titan once more off the ropes, and this time the big legdrop connects! Titan picks up Phoenix, could be another powerbomb coming up-no, palm thrust once again is the counter, and Phoenix looking for an Arm Wringer, but the big man showing surprising agility as he rolls through it. Now Titan has Phoenix again, and there’s a Samoan Drop, and Titan follows it up with a mount pos-no, Phoenix slips out of the way, and catches a rising Titan with a Eurpean Uppercut! Titan just shrugs it off, though, and looks for a powerbomb…Phoenix again with a Palm Thrust counter, and is looking to piledrive the big man?! But Titan is too strong right now, and breaks free, landing a front slam. Now Titan seems to be looking for another powerbomb…and for the third time, Phoenix palm thrusts way out of it, and there’s a knife-edge chop for good measure! “Once again, though, Titan shrugs it off as he spins Phoenix around and hits another Full Nelson Butt Bomb! Titan hitting those high-impact moves, but it seems like he’s not hitting them often enough for him to take advantage. Is he going to be able to do enough damage to earn the duke here, as he picks up Phoenix for a bear hug-but the technician with a forearm shiver to break the hold, followed by another Eurpean Uppercut and then an armbar…Titan slips out the back, gets reversed on an Irish Whip, and a hard Spinebuster! Phoenix with a wild look in his eyes, as he goes to the feet…and there it is! The Phoenix with a Scorpion Deathlock on Titan, dead center of the ring! Titan struggling, struggling mightily to get to the ropes…but can’t do it! Titan is forced to submit, as the work on the legs and body of Titan proves to be too much to handle! “As Phoenix climbs the turnbuckles in victory, the fans give a rousing ovation, and deservedly so! An excellent match between these two large heavyweights!” [B][I]The Phoenix defeats Titan in 37:20 by submission, via a Scorpion Deathlock Match Rating: B-[/I][/B] [I]The Phoenix earns $1,200 for his efforts in the ring tonight[/I]. [B]Post-show[/B] After that match, I wish I could say that I went out to dinner with the rest of the roster, to celebrate the show tonight. That didn’t happen. Heck, I wish I could say that I stayed awake for a while after the hot tub session that I used just to soothe the aches out. No…I was in the hot tub after my match, watched the last two matches from the comfort of the locker room, and was asleep on my trusty inflatable mattress twenty minutes after the show. Lucky for me, the AFD let me take a space in their parking lot to sleep overnight, and I knew nothing else for the rest of the night. [B]***NEXT POST: Traveling thoughts***[/B] [COLOR="Green"](Author’s note: I actually trimmed out about twelve minutes worth of the match, because it was the same old repetitive things over and over again-Phoenix takedown, work on the legs, countered Blaze of Glory, Titan on the offense for a minute…repeat until bored. Besides, if I made that match any longer, I would have to break it into two posts!)[/COLOR]

I was born a ramblin' man.... [B][I]Wedndesday, Week 2, July 2006[/I][/B] I was in my truck, stuck in a traffic jam on interstate 95, on the way to my next show. I was still sore and exhausted--after all, I wasn’t used to wrestling a half-hour-plus match yet--but I tried to maintain my focus on the road, as I listened to a mini-MP3 player hooked into my cassette deck. After all, what else was I going to do in traffic? While I was here, I took some time to think about what I had gone through in the last couple of months. I knew it was going to be tough, but I was not going to quit now. I had come a good distance--farther than some people would in this profession, I would gather. But now that I had gotten here, the logical part of my mind was warning me that I might need to make some friends in this promotion…if only to have doors opened up for me later. I figured that the more popular they were, the harder it would be to get an in-road with them…and once again, it seemed like it was the money factor that played into things. I was afraid to even ask how that would work. I came to the decision that depending on who was backstage with me before my next match, I would try to strike up a friendship with someone in the locker room. I just hadn’t figured out whom yet…and any training I would do would have to wait until after my next match. About a half-mile down the road, I could see traffic beginning to pick up the pace, so I knew that the traffic jam was starting to disperse. On my stereo, the opening strains of Bon Jovi’s “Blaze of Glory” echoed within the cab of the truck, and my mind suddenly made a connection. I swore to myself that someday, when I made it into the real big time, be it with TCW, SWF, or even a rising promotion like CZCW, that I would use that song as my entrance music. The problem was going to be lasting that long and getting the breaks I needed. I knew I had an incredibly long road ahead of me, and I was certainly getting ahead of myself by thinking those thoughts. But I joined this business on the whims of a dream; who says I couldn’t dream some more now that I had made it here? ***NEXT POST: Live Action returns to the air! Below is the card: [B][I]The Phoenix vs. Stan “The Man” Manna in a rematch from Live Action two weeks ago![/I][/B] The Mean Machine vs. Mainstream Hernandez Ricky Douglas vs. Oscar Golden Titan vs. D.C. Rayne Ryan Turner vs. Flash Savage

• 3 weeks later...
I'm afraid that this thread can no longer continue--my save file of this dynasty became corrupted from moving from one system to another. Even if I restarted it, some things would invariably change, and that would kill what I've already written. So, alas, it is the "outside forces" that have killed this thread. I hope at some point that I'll be able to focus on a better thread for this segment...at the moment, however, I'm afraid that this thread has run its' course, done in by the gremlins of computer systems.

Archived