Coastal Zone Championship Wrestling: The Zone Flies

Coastal Zone Championship Wrestling. An indy in the southwestern USA, that's been around for fifteen strong years. Now, it's a great place. A place that a man can be proud of. But damn, it's barely scraping along! My name is Ben. I'm a Red Sox fan. That's where my handle "Bye1918" comes from. I made it up after the 2004 World Series (A great day in the history of the world.) after realizing I no longer had to hear smug Yankee fans chanting "Nineteen-Eighteen!" at the top of their lungs. But I digress. You see, I live in California these days, a young man pursuing a dream. As well as a baseball fan, I'm a fan of pro wrestling. Now, I've done my share of fantasy booking (Not too successfully might I add, I have a touch of the ADD, and often start and stop different ideas) and I thought I was okay in my good moments. But then, I got the call. Or at least, I think I did. A Cliff Anderson was on my phone, and he wanted me to come down and meet with him, regarding The Coastal Zone. I'm a regular there, being a wrestling smark, a fan of fast-paced action, and a bored teenager. Yeah, I'm sixteen years of age. Too bad. I'm not the athletic type, so no in-ring action for me, so I put my hopes on getting a job behind the scenes in the business. And then, out of the blue, Cliff Anderson calls me. Sounds like a fantasy, doesn't it? Yeah, it does. But this one isn't. This is the story of the Coastal Zone, and my handling the book. 'Cause that was the outcome. Cliff said "Oh what the hell, you'll be cheaper then Farrah anyway." And the rest, might I add, was history.

The next day, I sat down with Cliff, and listened to his ideas for the company. He had decided, before I came on board, to hold a one-hour show each night from the Simmons Center. I was happy with the decision, 'cause I'd get paid a little more, have a few extra days to flesh out my storylines, and hopefully make some cash to boot. This might cost some money in the short-term, but if we gained a big enough fanbase, and got the word out enough, we could be riding the gravy train all the way to the bank. I told Cliff he was mixing his cliches, but I was alright with it. He told me that the hot feud in the promotion was Donnie J versus James Prudence, the classic tag team split and feud. I said... I said (in no uncertain terms) that James Prudence was just about the least talented worker in the promotion, but that I'd see what I could do. Then... I saw the roster. It had a little column with the Pay-Per-Appearance for each worker, and I gulped. I then revised my statement about James Prudence, and went to work. This is what I had to work with. Main Event: Donnie J (Coastal Zone Champion): [I]Solid In ring performer, more over then the rest of our roster. May be too expensive to keep on board for more then a little while.[/I] James Prudence: [I]Below-average in the ring, but over with the fans, and okay on the stick. But boy, does he not earn his paycheck.[/I] Ultimate Phoenix: [I]Very good in-ring, slightly less expensive then the other two main event stars. Over in Mexico.[/I] Upper Midcard: Fox Mask: [I]Coastal Zone Original, a talented wrestler. Cheaper too. Always ready for a run at the top.[/I] Matt Sparrow: [I]The Bird-Man is a consistant performer in the ring with good skill. Lacking a great character, and is a little expensive.[/I] Plague: [I]Bad-ass of CZCW, very good in the ring. Former Xtreme Champion. Also ready for the top prize.[/I] Midcard: Frankie Perez: [I]A different kind of wrestler for CZCW, but the most talented indy worker in the world, and a fantastic guy to have around.[/I] Insane Machine (Coastal Zone Xtreme Champion): [I]Good high-flier, with a good character. Works for WLW as well.[/I] Remmy Skye: [I]Crazy flake type, but really good in the ring, and willing to go all out for the fans. Also has a weird charisma that allows him to connect with the audience.[/I] Snap Dragon: (Coastal Zone Tag Champion): [I]Solid in-ring worker, an indy veteran. Maybe held back by his partner, but does work singles matches as well.[/I] Lower Midcard: Citizen X: [I]Not so talented in ring, but great on the stick with a gold character. Could have potential.[/I] Flyin' Jimmy Foxx: [I]Flake that isn't so good in the ring. Charismatic though, and vaguely over.[/I] Masked Cougar: [I]Great worker who's just waiting for the feud to take him to the top.[/I] Openers / Enhancement Talents: Jeremiah Moose: [I]A druggie, but with good talent and potential. Cliff seems to not care about the drug issues, so that's alright. As long as he doesn't O.D.[/I] Marc Speed: [I]An MMA-type badass, not the typical CZCW guy, but good at what he does. But he's horrible on the mic.[/I] I put in a call to a few outside guys, two from MAW and one from CGC. They're all good high-fliers, and need something to do. So... here's the Zone! Cliff then walked in and said he had only two rules. One, the company needs to rize in size, so that PWI says that we're a Regional promotion. And... all new signings need to be at least rated a B- by our scouts in basics. I spluttered out that at least three-fourths of the roster are unable to fill that requirement, and he just laughed and slipped out the door. Finally, I sat down and banged out the card for CZCW: Friday Night Action, the new weekly show. [CENTER][B]CZCW Friday Night Action [/B] (Jan Week 1, 2007) ??? vs. ??? vs. ??? [B]Three Way Dance Debut Match[/B] Insane Machine © vs. Masked Cougar [B]Xtreme Title Match[/B] James Prudence vs. Ultimate Phoenix [B]Number One Contendership Match[/B][/CENTER]

[B][I][CENTER]CZCW Friday Night Action Friday, Week 1, January 2007 The Simmons Center (300 Fans - Sell Out) [/CENTER][/I][/B] As the show opens, three men stand silhouetted behind the curtain used to shield the entrance ramp. The fans look over with curiosity and anticipation as the curtain is swept aside. The three wrestlers are Erik Strong, Trent Shaffer and Mainstream Hernandez! The fans cheer as the three make their way to the ring, and the bell rings for the match. (E) [B]Trent Shaffer defeated Erik Strong and Mainstream Hernandez[/B] Shaffer and Strong go after Hernandez immediately, who seems bewildered by the venom in their attacks. Shaffer and Strong are on the same page, using double team moves to put the hurt down on Mainstream. They beat on Hernandez for several minutes to the confusion of the fans, before Shaffer ends it with a Heart Burn. (D) The fans look on as Shaffer calls for a microphone, and gets one. He raises it to his mouth, and begins to speak. Shaffer: [COLOR="Red"]"Mainstream Hernandez, you left this man here, Erik Strong behind when you worked in Mid-Atlantic Wrestling. The two of you were tag team partners, before you so callously left him standing there to pursue your own [I]singles[/I] career. Hernandez, you were wrong to do that, and you damn well know it. I, Trent Shaffer, know that pain, and have therefore taken Erik under my wing, to help him gain revenge on the man who wronged him, Mainstream Hernandez, as the Forgotten Partners![/COLOR] As Shaffer and Strong raise their hands together in symbol of their new tag team, entitled The Forgotten Partners, Cliff stutters about how it was Shaffer who did the leaving in his last team, and he shrilly questions how Strong doesn't know this? (E-) [B]Insane Machine defeated Masked Cougar to retain the Coastal Zone Xtreme Championship[/B] A valiant effort was put forward by the challenger, but the champ was on his game tonight, and everything Cougar put forward was countered. Insane Machine toyed with the upstart youngster, but was then caught with an I Am Cougar, Hear Me Roar that almost won the challenger the Xtreme Title. Insane Machine barely kicked out at two and three fourths, then with no expression on his face, dismantled Masked Cougar, ending it with a Termination Kick. (D+) Citizen X comes to the ring with a microphone, and launches into a speech, directed at Insane Machine. Citizen X: [COLOR="Red"]"Insane Machine, I wish to congratulate you on your title defense against the wily Masked Cougar! And therefore, I wish to extend to you a very prestigious invitation. I would love you to join The Citizen X Brigade, a group dedicated to bringing up those who are put down here in CZCW. Have you ever wondered why you have not recived a Coastal Zone Championship shot, Insane Machine? It is because those above you are holding you down, keeping you unable to reach your true potential! Join me, and we shall break the glass ceiling, and overthrow those that would rob us of our true glory!"[/COLOR] Citizen X extends his hand, and after a moment of silent deliberation, Insane Machine shakes his hand once, and the two leave the ring. (E+) Cliff Anderson comes to the ring, and he has an announcement of his own. Anderson: [COLOR="Blue"]"Tonight's match, between James Prudence and Ultimate Phoenix. There will be three matches, pitting three different competitors in a round-robin style tournament to detirmine the number one contender to the Coastal Zone Championship, currently held by Donnie J. The third worker in this plot is the one, the only Plague! So next week, it'll be either James Prudence or Ultimate Phoenix versus Plague![/COLOR] (E) [B]Ultimate Phoenix defeated James Prudence[/B] A good main event, that is marred by the continuous attempts of James Prudence to cheat his way to victory. Despite these challenges, Ultimate Phoenix is able to take command of the match, and in a series of high-flying attacks is able to hit the Phoenix Firebird Splash for the win, and the match against Plague next week. (D+) [B]Overall: D+[/B] [I]Thoughts on the layout? It's lifted directly from Slipshirt's MAW diary, which I find the easiest to read on this board when considering the white background color. If it's a problem, I can mix it up of course [/I]

Nice job so far - it's always interesting to see what people do with the place that I stea...ermh, "borrow" my talent from. As far as the layout - it's definitely easy to read. This is just my personal preference, but I like to see the workers' pictures posted with the segments - not a huge sticking point though.

After the inaugural edition of CZCW Friday Night Action, I met with Cliff Anderson backstage. He said that we've done some good business tonight, but we did lose some cash. So, we're going to move to the Snake Pit, and see if the bigger venue and the advertising of the event as a "Medium" show will draw enough extra people in. The business sense was sound, so I agreed. He said that D+ was a good opener, but that he'd like to see some improvement over the next few months. I assured him that that was eminent, and showed him next week's card. [CENTER][B]CZCW Friday Night Action[/B] January, Week 2, 2007 The Forgotten Partners vs. Moose / Sparrow [B]Tag Team Match[/B] Insane Machine © vs. Remmy Skye [B]Xtreme Title Match[/B] Ultimate Phoenix vs. Plague [B]Singles Match[/B][/CENTER] [I](Predictions Welcome)[/I]

[CENTER][B][I]CZCW Friday Night Action Friday, Week 1, January 2007 The Snake Pit (733 Fans) [/I][/B][/CENTER] The show opens with Erik Strong and Trent Shaffer coming to the ring, microphone in hand. They announce that after their match, they've got an announcement to make, regarding the future of their team. [B]The Forgotten Partners defeated Moose / Sparrow[/B] Too bad that the Forgotten Partners can't get it together in the ring. They were all over the place, unable to get off and work together. Trent Shaffer refused to be tagged into the match for the first several minutes, and did not move a muscle to try and break up pin attempts for Moose and Sparrow. But a lucky shot by Strong knocks out Moose, and gets them the win. (D-) After the match, Shaffer grabs the microphone, and gets ready to speak. But as he does, Erik Strong grabs the mic from him, and begins to talk. Strong: [COLOR="Blue"]"When I came here to CZCW, I didn't want revenge on Mainstream Hernandez. I still don't. His career took off, and what was I supposed to do, say no, you can't take the title shot because of our tag team! He was a big gun in MAW, and I can't begrudge him that. But, Trent Shaffer got in my ear when I showed up. He wanted to make a mark, and he got me to do what he wanted. Now that I've seen what he really cares about in that match back there, I'd like to say that The Forgotten Partners are done. But Mainstream, would you consider reforming Call To Action? This is CZCW, a new place, a fresh start? Whadda say?"[/COLOR] (E-) Shaffer stands, shocked as the fans begin to chant "Mainstream, Mainstream." Finally, Mainstream Hernandez appears at the top of the ramp. Hernandez: [COLOR="Blue"]"Oh, what the hell. Erik, you got yourself a deal."[/COLOR] Shaffer throws a hissy fit as Strong and Hernandez raise each others arm on the entrance ramp. [B]Insane Machine defeated Remmy Skye to retain the Coastal Zone Xtreme Title[/B] A good, fast-paced match that saw Citizen X become involved, helping Insane Machine and hindering Remmy Skye. Skye almost got Insane Machine with the Skye Driver, but X got into the ring, and broke up the cradle, as Citizen X and Pee-Wee Germaine argue, Remmy Skye loses his focus. And it costs him, as Insane Machine rocks him with a Termination Kick to retain his belt. (D+) Citizen X celebrates as Insane Machine stands impassively, unfeeling, unreacting. Then a guy beans him with a soda. He then just walks into the stands, and slaps the guy right across the face, sending him head over heels. He walks out of the arena, as Citizen X prances around him, cheering. A video plays, showing the events that led to round robin tournament for the Number One Contendership to the Coastal Zone Championship, and tonight's match up. Plague versus Ultimate Phoenix. [B]Plague defeated Ultimate Phoenix[/B] A great match, that puts last week's main event to shame. Plague and Phoenix tore it up, and they got the fans to their feet. As Phoenix went up top for the Firebird Splash, Plague got to his feet, grabbed him off the turnbuckle, and hit the New Jersey Turnpike. Ultimate Phoenix was out, and Plague covered for the win. (C) [B]Overall: C-[/B]

Archived