The Dunvegan Dynasty: What does the future hold?

Well, now that I am done with the NWA, I am looking for opinions. I have realized that part of the reason my diary was not the most popular is because of the sheer number of similar NWA-based diaries from DOTT. Well, that said, with the recent turn of events, what would you like to see? So yeah, opinions are welcome. Should I take control of another promotion? Should I make my own promotion, and if so, what size and difficulty? I would appreciate if opinions were based on both what would be interesting and what might be realistic. For instance, would it make sense for Doug Dunvegan, who has A/A* popularity in the USA, to form a promotion that has no prestige and overness? I don't know, honestly. So while this is not a legally binding vote or anything, I would like to hear what people would like to see and get a lot of input before continuing on to the next part of The Dunvegan Dynasty.

I think I would like to see Dunvegan make his own promotion, based on his current time period and overness, and respect.... So probably would start out at the regional level, probably high, with at the least medium money. Sound about right? Perhaps after being with a promotion, and being limited, he feels that he could have done allot better as his own boss, pluss taking on the role of head booker. Realising the potential he had to "slide by" him, under someone else's thumb, he decides to build up his own, and get the Ric Flair's and Hulk Hogans if that's what he choose's to do. Oh man, if you carry that on where you left off on the other one, that would just kick some butt. EDIT: Yeah, that's what I would like to see! A promotion that you build around Ric Flair.

Yeah, I'm starting to regret knocking Ricky Steamboat's popularity down enough to give him an extension, which keeps him tied up with the NWA for the better part of the next two years or more. Sadness, I had big plans for him . . . Once everything settles, I will probably at least give away what storylines I was planning to run since none of them will be possible under the new promotion. Anyone else have some thoughts and feedback? EDIT: Another question . . . Should I start going again right away, or wait a certain number of months or whatever?

[QUOTE=Anubis;302996]Yeah, I'm starting to regret knocking Ricky Steamboat's popularity down enough to give him an extension, which keeps him tied up with the NWA for the better part of the next two years or more. Sadness, I had big plans for him . . . Once everything settles, I will probably at least give away what storylines I was planning to run since none of them will be possible under the new promotion. Anyone else have some thoughts and feedback? EDIT: Another question . . . Should I start going again right away, or wait a certain number of months or whatever?[/QUOTE] I would /start own promotion, then build up your roster, without a set number of shows to start... Perhaps wait till you can get a TV deal or something first.... You know, get all the work done first. Now... This next bit of feedback is if-eee, but I'm going to shoot for the moon here, because it's what I want, and I'm the only one so far to have any influence (although, it's pretty late, many other's will probably follow. Here is my thoughts: Make your promotion, then edit it to the lowest possibility for National. Reason being, is I think you should be able to deal with written contracts, believably (after all, you were mighty successfull). I have always dissagreed with the contract thing though, so it's a matter of preference I guess. However, I know that even in the very early year's of the sport, there were written contracts (way back to the 30's and 40's). These were not National by our standards today, although back then they were considered so. Anyways, onward. Set up your roster. If the people you want are not available, put them on your shortlist, so that you know when they are. Don't plan on having a show till your fully ready to. When your happy with the roster, even if you have to skip a season. After all, it takes time to start out in the bussiness, especially if you want to do it right. Make all your settings to your taste, if you liked the one you were with, duplicate them. 'bout all I can think of off the top of my head. Can't wait to see how it goes down.

Yeah, I feel so torn right now. Part of me wants to do exactly that, seeing as it would be feasible for someone with A/A* popularity across the board to form an instant National promotion and it would totally make sense for Doug Dunvegan to do exactly that in order to show them who the power was in that promotion. The other part of me, though, wants to start at Local, work my way up, and [i]then[/i] bust their rears, sorta adding insult to injury by coming up from nothing and crushing them beneath my boot. The problem here is realism; would someone of such a great amount of popularity be able to form a merely Local promotion? Even if I did, I would think I should increase the amount of starting money to better reflect a former boxer turned pro wrestler turned savior of the NWA. This, however, would also be different for me since I've never built up a promotions from the start before. Another concern I have about starting big is that it would essentially be the same as the NWA, but with me as owner, and I fear that may not be different enough from the other DOTT diaries to garner additional interest. Heck, it's hard enough getting people to read it already, especially judging from this thread that has all of two people discussing the future of it. I'm just so torn, it's a difficult decision!

Perhaps a high Regional or Cult level could serve as a happy medium. There are other DOTT diaries, to be sure, but in my small opinion you've got the best one going. The story of Dunvegan is far from over, but I'm in no postion to tell you that you've got to keep going. If you decide to continue, fantastic, but if you don't, I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors (not to sound like a press release).

Well the diary itself will continue as long as people want to read it, though I must admit I'm a bit concerned about the lack of feedback. There seems to be a lack of interest, which makes me wonder if it's worth continuing. Still, if there are readers, the diary will continue. The hard question is just where to begin. Time for a couple revelations . . . To Ricky Steamboat fans out there I must apologize for leaving the NWA before pulling the trigger; I was actually planning on running the "Howdy Doody to Hulkamania" storyline with Steamboat as the man taking the torch even to the point of promising him a main event title as part of his contract to get him slightly cheaper). The plan was for Lou Thesz (who would play the part of Bob Backlund) to lose the belt to Ivan Koloff (who would play the part of The Iron Sheik) with Ricky Steamboat (who would play the part of Hulk Hogan) coming in to save the day and become the top face of the promotion. Then, as soon as I was able to get my hands on Ole Anderson, I was gonna turn Ric Flair heel and run the "Formation of the Horsemen" storyline, putting them as the top heels of the promotion. That would have set me for at least the next two or three years in terms of solid main event material. It would have been awesome! Alas, it was not meant to be thanks to the stupid money caps . . . I was actually planning on breaking away later on anyway, but the plan was for it to happen closer to 1990 or thereabouts, and it wasn't gonna be on bad terms necessarily. Now I'm stuck in 1984 where my ideas wouldn't make sense yet. You see, I was planning on starting my Imperia Wrestling Franchise promotion, IWF, and the concept is relatively modern. For those wondering, that's the product I inquired about on the general forum. Basically, men and women are both competitive, and it is good wrestling backed by high drama, a sort of combination of WWE, ROH, and ECW with some Japanese influences. Catch is, that may work in the 90s, but it would seem a bit progressive for the time in the 80s. So I'm at a loss as to what to do about it. The only other solution I can come up with is if, as owner and head booker, I sorta style the promotion based on the members of the booking team. Like, if I have traditional types on my team, I run an old school style promotion. Once the more modern people come around like Paul Heyman and other Dunvegans, then it would slowly turn into what it's supposed to be. Still, for that to work, I can't start too high or rise too quickly. So many choices, so many questions, and I'm quite indecisive. Heh.

Hmmm . . . On that note, I must say that several top stars with loyalty to promotions have been let go because either the promotion was no longer big enough or the very reason I lost Ric Flair. Nick Bockwinkel is also unemployed, as are Buzz Sawyer, Tommy Rich, Don Muraco, and several other high popularity people. One thing is, should I delete Flair's loyalty relationship with Crockett as well as Bockwinkel's loyalty relationship with Gagne due to them not behaving as if there is any loyalty? Bugger, so hard to decide! I hate hard decisions, heh. Still, I have to make one now; Doug Dunvegan's popularity is starting to drop a bit, so I can't wait and watch anymore. No matter what, my goal is definitely to destroy Jim Crockett Jr. I just have to decide if I want to start small for a bit of challenge or start big and crush him. Actually, I think it would be completely unrealistic to try and pass off things as him creating a Local promotion, there's no way someone with the popularity of The Rock or Hulk Hogan could ever make anything that would only be popular in a small part of the country. A/A* popularity means superstar level popularity, so any promotion created would have a fanbase right out of the gate if started soon enough after leaving the biggest promotion in the country. So that brings up a couple of questions for y'all . . . First, what size TV network would give a Cult promotion a slot at 9:00 so I can compete directly with the NWA? Second, would anyone object to having a nearly unbelievably socially progressive promotion starting in 1984? I think it's time I teach Crockett who put that place back on top! :D

Archived