Updated scholarship count, recruiting

Hi Arlie, First off thanks for all the work you and your staff put into the development of this game. Some things which should increase realism: -85 scholarships. And colleges claim that number is low. We only get about 60-70 in this game? Which could work, except -Disparity between scholarship players and walk-ons. Walk-ons often develop into college stars. Often the difference between scholarship players and walkons is the difference between night and day. I don't think I've ever seen a walkon progress to college stardom. Yeah, it takes longer, but it happens more often in real life. -Recruits not panning out and recruits developing really well should happen more often. -We should be able to throw more scholarship offers out there in recruiting season than are available, since that's what actually happens. -Too much disparity between 5-star recruits and 2- and 1-star recruits in the recruiting process. The pool of high-potential players seems to be a little high, and the number of 1-3 star recruits that turn out exceptionally well in the right circumstances just happens too rarely. -Kickers! The current model makes it most effective to recruit one top kicker, start him four years, and then recruit another top kicker. There are too many good kickers, and it's too easy to grab one. Also, walk-on kickers are much too bad, in my opinion. -Redshirting. O-line often redshirt. Except in this game they get frustrated and often transfer. Top players at their positions often redshirt too (QBs, for instance). In this game they almost always transfer. I understand this may be getting into a problem with database size (it's already kind of big, right?) but I think aside from the 'increase scholarships' suggestion these are all just modifications to make what we currently have

I agree with a lot of these ... the scholarship count and redshirting especially ... i covered a major college football team for a couple of years for a magazine/Web site, and nearly all of the O-line players redshirted -- and knew they would when they came in. Usually, the QBs did as well and often other positions as well. Wake Forest, under Jim Grobe, (not the team I covered) uses redshirting extensively, and they've been a lot more competitive by "waiting" on their classes to mature, get in the weight room, etc. I can see a 5-star QB or WR getting upset and transferring if they are redshirted, especially if they would be No. 1 or 2 on a depth chart. But most folks need that extra year to develop...

Archived