Modifying PStats

Hi All. First time poster, long time lurker! I bought BBCF some time ago, but like a number of software titles, it sat for awhile before I took a good look at it. Seems like I spend an awful lot of money on games that I find very interesting, then don't touch them until later when an itch sets in! :) That said, I got the itch to play some college ball and dug this back out. Like a number of the people on this board that have purchased it said, it's one heck of a game! Thanks Arlie and I'm really looking forward to your Pro Football game! Here's the question I have. As much as I like playing the game, I also like tinkering with it to try and get just the right flavor I'm looking for. I really like building the league setups. I've played around with modifying the pstats file, along with the setup file. What I would really like to find out is, where are any/all of you getting some of the information for the files? Most of the city and weather data I can come up with (although some of the weather numbers might be tricky to find), but the main thing I'm wondering about is the prestige for schools? I find myself wanting to put together a league for just about any kind of college/university that plays some kind of organized football, but I don't know how to go about rating the prestige for each since I'm not entirely familiar with the smaller school programs. I had thought about looking at past records and any championships they had won, and try to come up with something that way. Just wondering what some of you might have done. I did see one post that had some Gridiron Power Index stuff in it, but I haven't been able to find anything on the Internet for Division II, III and NAIA teams. So, any helpful pointers or information you guys have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Todd

Todd When I built my DI-AA mod, I dug around and found the GPI and a couple of other DI-AA polls (their names elude me at the moment) and I took a weighted average over the previous 5 seasons. One thing to remember in modding the pstats file is that there is a finite number of teams that you can create in the game, otherwise you get fatal errors in the data. You won't be able to create a pstats with, say both the DIA and the DI-AA. Alternately, I've looked at building the NAIA and there are not enough teams to do it. You can catch me on AIM at kennywanchizoate if you have any detailed questions.

Kenny, Thanks for the reply. I certainly appreciate it. That's sort of what I figured I would have to do, go back a number of years and use an average to try and come up with something. I can certainly live with that, was just wondering if there was one specific spot to find it all. I'll get started on my research! As for the number of teams, thanks for the warning. I sort of figured that would be the case looking at some of the other posts concerning the work done with the PSTATS file. Again, thank you. Todd

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
ThrowTheBall, I don't know how familiar you are with using access, but this is what I do. I find the .dat file I want to edit, then I right click on it with the mouse and select OPEN WITH and choose Access as what I want to use. You may need to select it from your list of installed programs. Once you select Access, it just opens the database and you can edit whatever you want. Once you're done, just save the file. It should keep the .dat extension and you should be good to go.

Archived