World Fighting Council - Two Is Company

[B]1 July 1996[/B] [IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q266/teakle/mainlogo.jpg[/IMG] [B][INDENT][I]"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." — Winston Churchill, Lord Mayor's Luncheon, Mansion House following the victory at El Alameinin North Africa, London, 10 November 1942.[/I][/INDENT][/B] The melodrama is accepted, but the above does sum up how I felt this day. This day marked the end of 6 months of hard negotiations, planning, bartering and outright battles (albeit of the financial and logistical kind). It was early in 1996 when I first met Josh Bristow. I was sent out to the US to report on the relatively new phenomenon that MMA was fast becoming. Us Brits were, of course, familiar with boxing. We had been raised on a diet of World of Sport showing us British wrestling (Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks et al...). We had a vague knowledge of WWF from "over the pond". MMA was however an entirely new propositition. Meeting Josh was both an eye-opener and the beginning of an entirely new venture for me. I was a young, but reasonably respected sports journalist. I had the background of a First in a mixed Business and Media degree and thought that the world was my oyster. Speaking to Josh showed me that this new sport had a great deal of potential. Like boxing and wrestling the market potential was clear to be seen; unlike boxing and wrestling the canvas was almost blank. The interview that I had planned with Josh was meant to be an interview with a view to sell to papers in the UK; an insight into a quirky new sport. It turned out to be an interview of a different kind. By the end of the evening it became apparent that Josh, along with fellow investors Joseph Steven and DL Freeman, had raised funds to start a new MMA company. Whilst the funds and owners were in place, everything else had to be arranged. The meeting with Josh went well and I was soon introduced to the other backers. Again, all went well and soon I was offer, and duly accepted, the (pretentiously titled) position of President of the World Fighting Council. With $2,500,000 of cash behind me, all it seemed I lacked was fighters! [IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q266/teakle/Staff.jpg[/IMG]

[B]Heavyweight Division - July 1996[/B] [U]Barry Strachan – 3 – 5 – 240lbs[/U] A 31 year old Bar Room Brawler from The Motor City. Coming off a loss in his last match, he is, relatively speaking, reasonably experienced and his size will mean that he could get a surprise result or two. [U]Bill Laurnenzi 3 – 6 – 2 – 220lbs[/U] 28 years old from Putdale in Delaware. Laurenzi is a better fighter than his record lets on. A Kick Boxer who is a threat when striking. A serious dark horse. [U]Dave Lennon 6 – 1 – 231lbs[/U] From Exeter, England and a 27 year old Greco-Roman Wrestler. A genuine contender in the fledgling WFC Heavyweight division and a name to watch out for. Coming off a loss, may have to be eased back into competition to regain confidence. [U]Derek South 1 – 0 – 223lbs[/U] Hailing from Gotham City, New Jersey. A 22 year old novice Survival Fighter he is very charismatic and a good all-round fighter. Very inexperienced, but with no little potential. [U]Manol Sirakov 4 – 6 – 256lbs[/U] At 37 Manol is both the biggest and the oldest competitor in the Heavyweight division. He is a Striker, but, despite his impressive physique, he is unlikely to be a threat to the higher echelons. [U]Mugur Boc 2 – 0 – 242lbs[/U] At 27 Mugur is young, but talented. A Moldovan Wrestler, he is a well-rounded fighter who, if allowed to gain experience, could be a serious force in MMA. [U]Russell McPhee 3 – 0 – 210lbs[/U] One of the youngest Heavyweights at 26, McPhee is an impressive Kick Boxer. Undoubtedly needs more MMA experience, but could be one to watch. [U]Shane Gilchrist 11 – 2 – 215lbs[/U] The youngest fighter in the division at 25, but also the most experienced and talented. Gilchrist is apparently the dominant fighter in the WCF and the question must be how long can they hang onto him.

[B]July 1996[/B] [B]Markets[/B] USA - Above average and improving Japan – Average and improving Canada – below average and decreasing Mexico – Weak and improving South America – Very strong and improving UK – Very strong and improving Europe – Weak and improving Australia – weak and improving Asia – weak and improving [B]Signings[/B] [U]Alpha 1[/U] Meiji Nishimura joining the Board Stafford Alois Nicholai Mickiewicz Harry Milne Gunnar Neilson Stratos Papaioannou Some major signings for the heavyweight division. Losing Alois, must be a loss for BCF, but overall, if they only lose one fighter, they must be happy. [B]Major Camp Moves[/B] John Rivero 7 – 0 joins Camp Rock. Gabriel Gallego 12-0 joins Escola Da Luto Claudio palacious 10-2-1 joins Brazilian Estralla [B]TV/PPV Deals[/B] Alpha 1 sign occasional deal with All Japan TV and PPV deal signed with American Option. Gamma sign a PPV deal with J-Remote 1. [B]Retirements [/B] Heavyweights Monty Oliver 6 – 13 and Oscar Gomez 8 – 14 both retire. Neither the French nor the Mexican fighters achieved anything of note in their careers and their retirements will not be hard-felt (or even noticed). The Japanese Middleweight, Susumu Katoh – 4 – 9, also retired to little acclaim. [B]WCF News[/B] We have moved from having no fighters to just a handful (although this is soon rectified and the full roster will be posted over the coming months). All attempts at getting PPV and TV deals predictably failed. WCF did manage to sign deals with Dailyfight.com and Darzow Demolitions for some sponsorship monies.

[B]Forthcoming Events and Predictions[/B] [U]Alpha 1 – 36 Heavy Duty[/U] Tadamasa Yamada 13 – 1 v Roberto Aldez 19 – 3 for the Lightheavyweight title Yuya Shimizu 4 – 1 v Chiyo Yanagimoto 9 – 1 Heiji Endo 8 – 1 v Inejiro Chiba 20 – 4 Gempachi Higa 9 – 5 v Washichi Kobayashi 6 – 6 Naori Kikuchi 9 – 1 v Echiko Wanatabe 3 – 0 Keikichi Shimizu 3 – 0 v Bunraken Abe 3 – 4 Hanako Shimizu 2 – 0 v Kit Sakamoto 1 – 1 [B]Edit - on the eve of the fight (just 2 days before), the Naori Kikuchi v Echiko Wanatabe fight is pulled due to a thigh injury to Abe leaving him out for 1 – 2 months. A last minute replacement is named and is shockingly a major title fight: Juro Fukazawa 7 – 0 v Zenko Hatakeyama 7 – 10 for the Middleweight title [/B] [U]BCF: Rush v Laurent[/U] Andrew Rush 12 – 0 v George Laurent 12 – 1 for the Middleweight title Scott Gillespie 2 – 0 v Doug Hansen 14 – 3 Jeremy Sproule 6 – 4 v Gordon Idle 6 – 2 Perry Barr 13 – 4 v Kevin Portman 2 – 2 Hans-Peter Schneider 8 – 3 v Grant Capelli 16 – 38 – 2 [U]GAMMA: Foster v Stanley[/U] James Foster 16 – 2 v Rick Stanley 20 – 7 – 3 Fernando Amaro 15 – 3 v Carl Ratcliffe 8 – 3 Mike Watson 2 – 0 v Ashley Ballard 4 – 0 Zvonmir Asanovic 10 – 1 v Jethro Munter 1 – 1 for the Lightheavyweight title Marvin Stevens 7 – 0 – 1 v Frank Sheedy 10 – 6 David Allen 4 – 2 v Ray Eton 6 – 2 Nathan Chambers 5 – 0 v Keith Plaice 5 – 5 [U]WEFF 15[/U] Jenny DeNeuve 7 – 0 v Erica Page 15 – 9 Phoebe Bergman 14 – 5 v Simone King 6 – 1 Temperance McCoy 5 – 2 v Hester Maclean 7 – 0 – 1 Lisa Labone 1 – 0 v Chelsea Lawson 10 – 2 Gina Dixon 1 – 0 v Pamela O’Neil 1 – 0 [B][U]WFC 1 Genesis: Gilchrist v Strachan[/U][/B] Shane Gilchrist 11 – 2 v Barry Strachan 3 – 5 for the Heavyweight title Cory Brewer 7 – 4 – 1 v Brandon Sugar 7 – 2 Dave Lennon 6 – 1 v Bill Laurenzi 3 – 6 – 2 Korekiyo Anzai 6 – 1 v Derrick Carmichael 0 – 0 Bixente Fontaine 9 – 3 v Thorbjorn Rekdal 3 – 1 – 1 Jacob Matthaus 9 – 10 v Petey Mack 6 – 1 Sinali Shomen 2 – 1 v Truck Gleeson 5 – 0 Nicolai Mickiewicz 9 – 1 v Leandro Piquet 6 – 3 Casim Yenkini 7 – 3 v Leon Campbell 0 – 0

Archived