Rise of a Monster Heel

Prequel - March 25th 2006, I took a deep breath, the pain shot through my ribs. As I rose to my feet I took a minute to savior the moment, the moment I had been training for since I was 13. Since my in ring debut at 15 I had dreamt of this moment, championship gold. Just a month after my 19th birthday and I was Ring Of Fire Champion. I glanced around the gym, 300 people on their feet, I was their hero. No one expected this finish. Stevie Stoat was the fan favorite I was merely his sideshow occasional tag partner. I glanced down at Stoat and winked an apology for the botched finish. A lot of people didn't see me as ready for this moment but I didn't care, the moment was mine. I made my way back to the locker room, British Samurai was waiting for me. There was a long awkward silence, I braced myself, was he going to mention the finish? Surely the fans were too caught up in the moment to notice the hold was released before stoat tapped out. "you done good kid", Samurai eventually said. His tone was unconvincing, "get washed up and come by my office", there was no mistake in that tone this could get ugly. My mind was spinning, my meeting with Samurai later was going to be awkward enough without this. "sit down kid, we gotta talk" samurai announced with a smirk as I entered his office. "look I can expl......" I started, "it's not working kid, we gotta change your style. You just aren't cut out for the technical game. The two kids humping in the toilet would have noticed that hold break.". I would have been the first to admit I was raw but a style change? Samurai just made my decision a whole lot easier. I stood up from my chair set the title belt on his desk and left, I didn't pay attention to his rants as I left, it was always my intention to leave, I was destined for bigger things, I won over the Ring of Fire crowd, I can win over any crowd. I can win over America.........

It took me 2 long months to convince my girlfriend it was a good idea to move to America in search of work. The way I had left ROF didn't do me any favours either. Stevie Stoat was not best pleased. The title was returned to him at the next show, the fans had lost a great deal of respect for him as he had lost the title to a rookie. The fans now saw me as egotistical. The person who could see my side of it was Johnny Jones he put me in touch with Cliff Anderson of Coastal Zone combat Wrestling and I set up the meeting. The meeting was a real eye opener. He asked me about my experience at ROH. I was blatantly honest with him and explained about the title push and the botched finish. There was another of those long awkward silences, he shifted in his seat, squinted at me "you were a face?". "yes, sir" I replied. "what height are you son?" "I'm 7ft exactly sir" he looked me up and down and grunted. "Look son if you want to be part of this company you are going to have to change your image" "My image worked fine in Ring of Fire", I stated impatiently. "Look I'm willing to give you a shot son, but you have to learn to listen. And you will do as my writers tell you".

When I joined Combat they didn't have a show scheduled for almost a full month. I had my girlfriend and baby daughter holed up in a tiny one bedroom apartment and I desperately needed money. Rather than sell my body on the street I had no choice but to look for another promotion on the side. I made the call to Mid Atlantic Wrestling, they had a show on the next night so I had to leave straight away to travel down there. When I arrived I had less than 3 hours to prepare with the booker & road agents. I was going up against Rockin Ryan Turner. He was doing an interview segment and I was to heckle him from the crowd and a challenge would occur, the rest is pretty self explanatory. [CENTER][B]MAW War Machine Rockin Ryan Taylor v Un-named[/B][/CENTER] Rockin Ryan came out to do his interview on his bands new single. Everytime he mentioned the bands name i'd boo, throw some random insult and then to really piss him off I through a cup of beer narrowly missing his head. He called a ref down into the ring and then called me out. I jumped the railing ran into the ring and drove a headbutt into his skull. We swapped offensives early on in the match and seemed to be putting on a pretty good brawl. I'd hit him with hard hitting closelines, punches, and he would make damn good use of the top rope. I was nervous as hell but I was doing well. I knew I was doing good when the crowd started booing my offensive around 4 minutes in. At twelve minutes in I was well in control, Taylor was never off the mat as I alternated between chock holds and getting the crowd going with taunts. After 13 minutes I decided to make things interesting and went for the chair. The crowd got behind Taylor and he nailed the DDT he went to the top rope and hit the diving splash and had me for the 2 count. After I kicked out he hit the running dropkick and went straight to the top rope again, moonsault. 1,2,3. Winner: Rockin' Ryan Taylor by pinfall. Rating: D Despite the defeat I was happy with the performance. Being booed by the crowd will take a bit of getting used but hell so will losing!

The night after the MAW show I got a phone call from Karen Killer saying that she had a permanent place on the roster for me, on a PPA basis. She came up with the character "the critic" basically i'd go around insulting people for their flaws. It was lame but it would pay the bills. My main concentration would be CZW. I still hadn't come up with a gimmick or name yet and the first show was fast approaching. The thought of being a heel was starting to get to me now. Work as a face wasn't going to come to a 7ft guy. I watched my 9 month old daughter sleeping in her mothers arms, was this a mistake? Should I have stayed in the Uk? What effect would it have on my little girl seeing her daddy as the bad guy? The guy who trashes peoples stuff, trades insults with the crowd, my head begins to spin. Screw this i'm going to the gym.

I was told who my debut for CZCW was against a good week before it. It was Main Eventer Matt Sparrow. I decided on my gimmick and character a few days prior to this match and the writers worked it in to the match. I was nervous about how the crowd would take to the match. An unknown Enhancement Talent going straight up against a main eventer. My goal for the match, get through it without making it look like a squash. [CENTER]Coastal Zone Combat Wrestling Battle On The Beach Matt Sparrow v ?????[/CENTER] I stood behind the curtain waiting to go out. I tugged nervously at the mask, the heat from the lights and the smell of the leather turning my stomach. The lights in the gym go out, the music kicks in, I stand for a second, the sound of the familiar guitars easing my nerves, I hear confused chatter from the crowd closest to the curtain. "For Blasphemy We Bleed" the vocalist in the music screams, I burst through the curtain. There are a few gasps from the kids in the front row. I lumber my 7ft frame down the short isle to the ring. The heat of the mask is almost unbearable. I pause on the ring steps and stare out Sparrow. He sells, looking unnerved he backs off to the corner of the ring. "Ladies and gentleman, from parts unknown, standing at over 7ft tall, BLAAAASPHEMY". Blasphemy, not a religious reference, just a monster in a mask sending a message out to anyone doubting his ability. I glance at the mirrors on the back wall of the gym, the monster in the mask staring back at me, my thoughts turn to my daughter..... the bell rings. I go straight for sparrow, and land my soon to be trademark headbutt on hi skull. He sells well and goes straight to the ground. I go to work on him with choke holds and head stomps. After 2 minutes Sparrow is on his feet, he breaks from my DDT and goes on the offensive. He works on my legs for around 4 minutes before hitting the moonsault, I kick out after two. I take back control of the match with some big hitting clotheslines. After 13 minutes I raise Sparrow to his feet and apply the mandible claw. The ref checks for the submission but sparrow kicks for the ropes and i'm told to break the hold. I keep the hold locked in for the 4 count, boo's erupt around the small gym. I go to the outside of the ring for the chair. I climb back into the ring, sparrow blocks my punch and attempts the triple kick flurry, I brace myself and no sell the kick. I throw the chair onto the mat, grab sparrow by the neck and DDT him face first onto the steel chair. The ref signals for the bell. I stand above, sturggling for breath I Raise my arms. The crowd are furious. Winner: Matt Sparrow (disqualification) Rating: C+ Goal: Acheived

Archived