Bowl Bound in Linux

Ok, so this might not be the best place to ask this question, but it's worth a shot. I recently installed Ubuntu on my laptop, and I'm trying to get Bowl Bound to work on it. I have a PC with XP, but I'm going to be traveling for a month or so, and I would like to port a few of my games over to Linux. Bowl Bound has so far proved a challenge, and I'm curious if anyone (Arlie?) has any idea how to get BB to work in Linux. So far I have wine, and I was able to install BB and my second license without any problems, but whenever I try to create a new league I get RTE 429 (ActiveX component can't create object). What I've figured out so far, from a previous thread long ago, is that I need DAO360 or later in order for BB to work, but wine is stubbornly refusing to acknowledge my DAO360.dll. I have downloaded mdac 2.8, in hopes that it would help, but it does not recognize ie4linux (that is, internet explorer 6 ported to Linux), and so refuses to install. I'm afraid I may be trying to do the impossible - at least for someone as new to Linux as I am - but I thought it would be worth a shot asking if anyone around here has gotten Bowl Bound to run on a Linux OS. Thanks.

I honestly don't know the answer to that one. I tried Ubuntu on a laptop I had, that experiment lasted all of three days. I don't know of anyone else in the GG community that runs a Linux system. You best bet would be to ask around on some Linux user groups to see if they have any answers.

• 4 weeks later...
I know I'm a bit late, so I hope this is still of use. Since someone asked me about WMMA in Linux, and that seems to work, I figured I'd visit the other Tech Support forums to see if there were any Linux topics here. Lo and behold, I found one. I want you to go over to [URL="http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27365"]this thread[/URL], and see if these instructions help. Oh, and I tried the Bowl Bound demo, too. It works, but I didn't go past the Create League screens. I'm not really into this game, but I figured I'd give it a shot to see if it works. I do know you'll need to copy ovsCombo2D.ocx from your Windows system32 folder to the ies4linux system32 folder. Other than that, well, I don't know for sure. I mean, it's been a year since I came up with that method. I don't mean to sound like I'm gloating. I'm just trying to help people get GDS games running in Linux. Since they all use VB6, it seems as if that one method will work with all of them. It's worked with TEW 2005, TEW 2007, and WMMA. It seems to work with Bowl Bound. If you run into any other issues, PM me and I'll see if I can help figure it out.

Archived