Alpha-1: World Mma Cup

1/1/1998 The Alpha-1: Japanese Full Contact Combat proudly presents the First World Mixed Martial Arst Cup. (WMMAC-96) Fighters for all over the world will test his strength and skills to become the World MMA Champions in each of his category. For 12 months we will see the best facing the best, and only will crowned as champion. And now, the rules of the WMMAC-98 1-For each weight classe there will be 2 Torneums. The WMMA torneum (8 fighters) and the Young Lion Torneum (4 wokers, all sub25).They will meet each other in Quarter-Finals (forfeit in the Young Lions), Semi-finals and Finals. 2-The seed of each weight classes has been chosen by the Full Contact International Expert Panel (FCIEP) with experts of all the world. 3-In any match of the WMMAC-96The champions can decide if they put their titles in the match. 4-If a worker suffer an injury and is unable to compete, their rival will forfeit the round. 5-The Standard Rules of Alpha 1 are applicable in the WMMAC-96 And now…. The seeds HEAVYWEIGHT WMMAC-98 Quarterfinals: 1-Rav Kapur,23,Eng(13-0) +13 8-Mugur Boc,27,Mol(6-1) +4 4-Jeff Carlton,31,US(19-5) +1 5-Shane Gilchrist,26,Aus(15-6) -1 3-Kunimichi Kikuchi,30,Jap(23-3) +1 6-Robun Yamazaki,31,Jap(18-7) +1 2-Hassan Fezzik,33,Tur(29-1) -1 7-Carter Potter,28,NZ(14-4) +1 Opinion of our expert Ryan Maldad Winner-Hassan Fezzik: After being beated by Rav Kapur, Hassan is totally focussed in become the WMMAC champion. Runner Up-Rav Kapur: Maybe he is not the most complete fighter of the world, but he has shown the will and the intelligence to impose his weapons in a terrific streak. The Sleeper: Shane Gilchrist. Shane has as much talent as anyone in Alpha-1 but he hasn’t capitalize. Maybe this is the opportunity to step up and make something remarkable. HEAVYWEIGHT YOUNG LIONS-98 1-Aleksander Ivanov,19,Rus(3-0) +3 4-Kimi Mutsu,20,Jap(0-1) -1 2-*Adelmeir Rocha,21,Bra(3-1) +3 3-Derek South,23,US(3-3) +1 Opinion of our expert Ryan Maldad Winner: Aleksander Ivanov. Ivanov has become a star of the company, with his all-business approach. He will be very hard to defeat. LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT WMMAC-98 1-Heiji Hendo,26,Jap(13-2) +3 8-George Laurent,34,Eng(14-3) +2 4-Petey Mack,24,Can(13-3) -2 5-Aleksei Chekhov,25,Rus(10-5) -2 3-Curt Kitson,27,Sco(14-3) +4 6-Inejiro Chiba,34,Jap(22-6) +1 2-Tadamasa Yamada,27,Jap(14-4) -1 7-Zaco,29,Bra(11-3) +1 Opinion of our expert Ryan Maldad Winner-Heiji Hendo: Even he is not a superstar in the full term of the word, Hendo is showing an amazing consistency and sure he will be the name to defeat in a very open torneum. Runner Up-Curt Kitson: With a perfect record in Alpha-1 Kitson is showing the versatility to be a real contender in any type of fight The Sleeper- Zaco: Even irregular, Zaco is a very dangerous fighter. You can’t count him out in any situation if he has a chance to win LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT YOUNG LIONS-98 1-*Kwon Min Park,20,Kor(5-1) -2 4-Mike Watson,22,Can(3-3) -2 2-Kendall Tracey,24,Can(7-2) -1 3-Jin Katou,24,Jap(7-4) +1 Opinion of our expert Ryan Maldad Winner: Kwon Min Park- Kwon has shown the kind of solid hard work and enough talent to win this torneum, even he will have to face some thought rivals. MIDDLEWEIGHT WMMAC-98 1-Fernando Amaro,30,Spa(19-3) +4 8-Leonardo DaCosta,26,Bra(13-2) +2 4-Davis Spyrou,25,Eng(16-5) +4 5-Bixente Fontaine,26,Fr(11-6) -2 3-Uwe Meier,24,Ger(11-1) +4 6-Ieyoshi Yama****a,32,Jap(12-6) +1 2-Andrew Rush,26,Eng(16-3) -1 7-Thorbjorn Rekdal,25,Nor(6-4-1) -3 Opinion of our expert Ryan Maldad Winner-Fernando Amaro-After recovering a critical injury, Fernando seems as sharp as ever. If he is 100% he is the best middleweight of Alpha-1 Runner Up- Uwe Meier. In a good streak, the german fighter has shown a lot of talent and spirit. The Sleeper- Thorbjorn Rekdal-Even he is in a very bad streak, Rekdal is one of the most exciting and talented workers of Alpha-1 MIDDLEWEIGHT YOUNG LIONS-98 1-Juro Fukazawa,24,Jap(8-2) -1 4-Jerry Platts,22,NZ(2-1) +1 2-Adam White,20,US(4-1) -1 3-*Rodrigo Silva,20,Bra(1-0) +1 Opinion of our expert Ryan Maldad Winner: Juro Fukazawa: With a group very talented fighters, maybe the experience of Fukazawa can be a difference-maker. WELTERWEIGHT WMMAC-98 1-Fumiaki Hayashi,28,Jap(17-4) +4 8-Claudio Palacios,27,Per(12-6-1) -1 4-Bakin Sakamoto,28,Jap(14-7) -1 5-Kafu Bunya,27,Jap(12-5) +1 3-Gabriel Gallego,26,Arg(14-3) +1 6-Will Kane,33,Eng(10-2) -1 2-Julio Regueiro,25,Spa(14-1-1) +2 7-Alberto Basora,25,Spa(10-6) +1 Opinion of our expert Ryan Maldad Winner-Gabriel Gallego: Even almost everybody give Hayashi as favorite, I think Gallego is a very talented fighter who can surprise Hayashi in a match. Runner Up- Fumiaki Hayashi: A solid and talented worker he won’t be easy to defeat. The Sleeper- Claudio Palacios: Even Palacios has a very thought match with Hayashi in the first round, there is some rumors of the good work that Palacios is doing. WELTERWEIGHT YOUNG LIONS-98 1-*Esteban Rodríguez,20,Spa(4-1) -1 4-Eli Harris,20,US(0-3) -3 2-Korekiyo Anzai,22,Jap(10-2) +3 3-Ikku Funaki,25,Jap(8-6) +1 Opinion of our expert Ryan Maldad Winner: Esteban is the most talented worker of this group, so his age shouldn’t be a problem to become the winner of the torneum. LIGHTWEIGHT WMMAC-98 1-Atep of Indonesia,22,Ind(8-1) +4 8-Edson Edmilson,32,Bra(16-7) +1 4-Ricardo Fernandes,30,Bra(18-9) +1 5-Chojiro Goto,25,Jap(9-5) -3 3-Go Yamamoto,30,Jap(16-4) -1 6-Paulo R. Bezerra,25,Bra(12-3) -1 2-Carlos Da Guia,24,Bra(11-1) +1 7-Rodolphe Gygax,31,Sui(18-10) -2 Opinion of our expert Ryan Maldad Winner-Carlos DaGuia: In one of the most exciting torneums, DaGuia has the edge over Yamamoto and Indonesia because he is the most physical and solid of the 3. Runner Up- Atep: Atep is in the good side of the seed and is the actual Lightweight Champion The Sleeper- Edson Emilson. A Good veteran with experience and talent. Can give a big headache at any fighter if he is not 100%. LIGHTWEIGHT YOUNG LIONS-98 1-Teerapet Nutnum,22,Tha(9-2) +1 4-Jamie Hewitt,22,US(1-4) -4 2-Luke Hilton,22,Eng(8-3) +1 3-Fujimaro Hidaka,22,Jap(3-4) +1 Opinion of our expert Ryan Maldad Winner: Teerapet Nutnum –Teer has the skill and the experience to participate in the Senior Torneum, so he should dominate in the junior WOMEN WMMAC-98 1-Romi Takahashi,21,Jap(13-0) +13 8-Taniko Uchiyama,24,Jap(9-3) +1 4-Vicki Summers,26,US(11-4) +1 5-K. Wojciechowska,27,Pol(11-6) +2 3-April Watson,29,US(17-6) -1 6-Yutsuko Sasaki,26,Jap(9-6-1) -1 2-Sayoko Ebisawa,28,Jap(19-5) +1 7-Haley Croft,25,US(6-3) +1 Opinion of our expert Ryan Maldad Winner-Romi Takahashi: With a streak of 13 consecutive wins, Takahashi is the hottest female worker in Alpha-1. Maybe not the most talented but she has already show that can beat anyone Runner Up- Sayoko Ebisawa-Sayoko has had some bad streaks and is trying to regain momentum, but she is one of the more skilled workers of ALPHA-1 The Sleeper- K. Wojciechowska-Talented, spectacular and able to give the best and the worst surprises in the torneum. She is on a good streak WOMEN YOUNG LIONS-98 1-Umeka Fujiwara,20,Jap(5-0) +5 4-*Carla Dodwell,21,Aus(1-1) -1 2-Mizuki Watanabe,23,Jap(9-2) +1 3-Yuya Shimizu,23,Jap(8-2) +5 Opinion of our expert Ryan Maldad Winner: Umeka Fujiwara: With four fighters with a very similar talent, we give the edge to Fujiwara, just for his streak of victories. Anyway it’s a very open race.

Well , after playing with Alpha-1 for 1,5 years, I wanted something diferent to 1998. So I've planned a "World Cup". I think it could be a nice challenge to be who are the winners, and who are the losers. The * workers are modified workers. Maybe there are a bit "ubber" but they won't affect the senior torneums for now. Well, I will leave this 1-2 days for if you want to make your bets. :D :D :D . Then I will began to play the WORLD CUP

So, something a bit different that a regular dynasty. Shame this tournament couldn't include some GAMMA standouts (but I realize that would involve editing the db before the game). Here are my picks: 1. HEAVYWEIGHTS: [b]Fezzik[/b] to win the whole thing beating Kapur in the final (he beats Gilchrist in his semi) and Kikuchi on the way. [b]Ivanov[/b] is going to roll through the juniors. I'd actually prefer him that Yamazaki or Boc in the 8-man bracket. 2. LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHTS: [b]Mack[/b] will take this one beating Kitson in the final and Endo in the semi. Also Yamada loses to Zaco in the first round (how in hell is he 1-3 since the game started?) [b]Tracy[/b] will make Canada sweep the 205 division. 3. MIDDLEWEIGHTS: [b]Maier[/b] will upset Amaro in the final here. Spyrou and Rekdal will also win their opening fights. [b]White[/b] will take the junior tournament 4. WELTERWEIGHTS I'm a [b]Regueiro[/b] nuthugger so he's my pick here going through Gallego on the way. Hayashi beats Bunya in the second semi. I'm opposed to picking guys who I absolutely don't know so I'll pick [b]Anzai[/b] in the young lions bracket. 5. LIGHTWEIGHTS I agree with the experts - [b]da Guia[/b] beats Atep in the final. Bezerra and Fernandes make it to the semis. [b]Hilton[/b] is going to win the juniors. 6. WOMEN This is the toughest. Aside from [b]Takahashi[/b] nobody seems to done a whole lot since the game began. Ebisawa is skilled enough to make it to the final, beating Sasaki in the semi. Wojciechowska will win her fight as well. As for the u-25 fighters I'll go with [b]Fujiwara[/b]

Predictions: Heavyweights RD1: Rav Kapur Shane Gilchrist Kinumichi Kikuchi Carter Potter Lions: Aleksander Ivanov Derek South Light Heavyweight: Heiji Hendo Petey Mack Curt Kitson Tadamasa Yamada Lions Watson Katou Middleweight Fernando Amaro Davis Spyrou Uwe Maier Thorkborn Rekjdal I'll see if I should bother picking the rest as to how I do so far!

January/98 -I WMMAC QUARTER FINALS From Las Vegas, Nevada. Due problems of contract, the matches of WELTERWEIGHT WMMAC-98 between Alberto Basora vs Julio Regueiro and Bakin Sakamoto vs Kafu Bunya had been altered. Now they are Alberto Basora vs Bakin Sakamoto and Julio Regueiro vs Kafu Bunya. 9- LIGHTWEIGHT YOUNG LIONS-98: Fujimaro Hidakata (3-4) vs Luke Hilton (8-3) Pred: Hilton by Knock Out 8- MIDDLEWEIGHT YOUNG LIONS-98: Juro Fukazawa (8-2) vs Jerry Platts (2-1) Pred: Platts by TKO 7- HEAVYWEIGHT YOUNG LIONS-98: Aleksander Ivanov (3-0) vs Kimi Mutsu (0-1) Pred: Ivanov by Knock Out 6- WOMEN WMMAC-98: Vicki Summers (11-4) vs K. K. Wojciechowska (11-6) Pred: Summers by submission 5- MIDDLEWEIGHT WMMAC-98Andrew Rush (16-3)vs Thorbjorn Rekdal (6-4-1) Pred: Rush by Knock Out 4- WELTERWEIGHT WMMAC-98: Alberto Basora (10-6) vs Bakin Sakamoto (15-7) Pred: Sakamoto by submission 3- LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT WMMAC-98:Inejiro Chiba (22-6) vs Curt Kitson (14-3) Pred: Kitson by submission 2- LIGHTWEIGHT WMMAC-98: Go Yamamoto (16-4) vs Paulo R. Bezerra (12-3) Pred: Bezerra by decision 1- HEAVYWEIGHT WMMAC-98: Mugur Boc (6-1) vs Rav Kapur Pred: Boc by TKO

Results of I WMMAC QUARTER FINALS From Las Vegas, Nevada. 9- LIGHTWEIGHT YOUNG LIONS-98: Fujimaro Hidakata (3-4) vs Luke Hilton (8-3) Round 3 …Hilton looks like he is happy to sit there and throw punches at his leisure, with no real effort to pass guard. Hidaka occasionally tries to roll his hips to get free, but it may be that he has realised that this round is beyond saving, and is just making sure that he doesn't put himself into a position to be knocked out or submitted by trying to escape. Indeed, time ticks away with nothing breaking the pattern of occasional strikes and defensive positioning. End of the round. Blurcat.com scores it 10-9 for Hilton. The official scores are: 29-28 (twice), 30-27 for Luke Hilton. * 8- MIDDLEWEIGHT YOUNG LIONS-98: Juro Fukazawa (8-2) vs Jerry Platts (2-1) Pred: Platts by TKO Round 3 …Platts backs off and covers up, clearly having felt that one, and unfortunately Fukazawa's attempts to follow up and thwarted as he gets tied up in a clinch near the cage. The time expires, with Fukazawa probably having stolen that round thanks to that one big punch. End of round 3. Blurcat.com gives that one to Fukazawa by 10-9. The judges scores are unanimous, and give a score of 30-27 to Juro Fukazawa. ** 7- HEAVYWEIGHT YOUNG LIONS-98: Aleksander Ivanov (3-0) vs Kimi Mutsu (0-1) Pred: Ivanov by Knock Out Round 1 Mutsu works an angle and comes in from the side of Ivanov, getting two good jabs in before a ragged left misses by quite a margin. Ivanov hits a low kick to back Mutsu against the cage, then works the body with a series of short punches. Mutsu fights out and the action returns to the center. They exchange punches. Mutsu hits a nice jab just above the left eye, but takes a hard punch to the cheek at the same time. Mutsu momentarily loses his footing and drops his hands, that shot having really rung his bell. Ivanov shoots off another right hand to capitalise, and this time it's the killer blow, Mutsu falls back and crash-lands on the floor, he was out cold from the instant that punch hit. A knock out victory for Ivanov. Ivanov wins via knock out at 2:45 of the first round. ** 6- WOMEN WMMAC-98: Vicki Summers (11-4) vs K. K. Wojciechowska (11-6) Pred: Summers by submission Round 2 ….Summers steps in and fires off one of her own, but Wojciechowska bobs out of the way and scores with a pair of solid shots to the body. Summers turns and swings, just as Wojciechowska also unloads...and it's Wojciechowska who connects first! Summers's hands drop and she is on rubbery legs. Wojciechowska follows up with a beauty of a right hand, and that drops Summers. The referee doesn't even wait for Wojciechowska to dive in to finish, he's seen enough, Summers is clearly on Dream Street. This bout is over! The official time is 7:25. ** 5- MIDDLEWEIGHT WMMAC-98Andrew Rush (16-3)vs Thorbjorn Rekdal (6-4-1) Pred: Rush by Knock Out Round 3 …Rekdal got a shot in too though, although it hit the shoulder rather than the head. Time is running down; Rush has probably done enough to win the round, but it has turned quite scrappy since the clinch against the cage, both will probably be slightly unhappy with that. Rekdal tries a late surge, coming in hard and fast with a leading left, but Rush defends it well and scores the only meaningful shot of the exchange with a crisp left hand. End of the round. Blurcat.com has it down as 10-9 Rush. All three judges give a score of 30-27 in favour of Andrew Rush. ** 4- WELTERWEIGHT WMMAC-98: Alberto Basora (10-6) vs Bakin Sakamoto (15-7) Pred: Sakamoto by submission Round 3 …Basora is quickest out, and comes at Sakamoto with a series of jabs and straight punches. Sakamoto covered up well, and I don't think anything got through. Sakamoto hits a body shot, but it didn't connect solidly. They get in close, and it's Basora who takes it to the ground. Sakamoto pulls guard. There's a lull, as Basora tries to pass, and Sakamoto defends it. Punches get thrown every so often, but it's really a stalemate at the moment. Sakamoto almost gets a guillotine, but it's blocked and almost leads to a kimura for Basora, but that too goes nowhere. The referee stands them up, but the time is almost over. The round ends. Blurcat.com sees it 10-9 to Basora. The official scores are in; two judges give 30-27, the other 29-28, all for Alberto Basora. ** 3- LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT WMMAC-98:Inejiro Chiba (22-6) vs Curt Kitson (14-3) Pred: Kitson by submission Round 3 …Chiba hits a wicked uppercut, taking Kitson completely by surprise, then starts wailing away with lefts and rights. Kitson can only cover up against the ferocious attack, but that doesn't stop a couple of big shots landing. More shots rain down, and Kitson is getting obliterated, he can't throw any counter punches as he can't move his hands down without getting hit again, and he can't get past Chiba to safety either. The referee finally sees enough and covers Kitson up. The official time is 6:32. ** 2- LIGHTWEIGHT WMMAC-98: Go Yamamoto (16-4) vs Paulo R. Bezerra (12-3) Pred: Bezerra by decision Round 1 Yamamoto throws a nice series of straight rights from the start, bobbing and weaving to keep Bezerra from landing anything in return. None of the punches got through though, Bezerra parried them away. Nice crisp start to the round though. Bezerra steps back, and Yamamoto comes after him , sensing an opening. Bezerra suddenly puts the brakes on and swings for the fences, driving a right hand to the chin. Yamamoto couldn't get out of the way in time and takes it full force. He goes down like a puppet with his strings cut, he is out cold. Bezerra goes to follow up to be sure, but the referee cuts him off, calling a halt to the match. Bezerra wins via knock out at 1:39 of the first round. *** 1- HEAVYWEIGHT WMMAC-98: Mugur Boc (6-1) vs Rav Kapur Pred: Boc by TKO Round 1 There's a nice exchange of blows, both fighters getting in some good shots. Boc over-reaches on an uppercut and takes a big shot to the jaw, his head snapped back. Temporarily stunned, his hands drop completely, and another vicious blow lands. A third lands square on the nose. The referee gets between them and says it's all over. Boc didn't actually go down, but his hands were down by his sides and he was offering up no defence whatsoever. As Kapur celebrates, Boc looks completely out of it, glassy-eyed as his corner try to help him. The official time of the TKO is 0:23 of round 1. Rav Kapur is still the ALPHA-1 Heavyweight champion. *** The Ryan Maldad Last Word. Well this is just, you know, like the last good film of Stallone, First Blood. Hey, I’m joking … a little. About the event? The Young Lions combats have gone with the script. Ivanov is a big big one. I foresee one day one constest between him and Kapur, and can be huge day. In the big guys card. Well, three upsets. Basora has done a very clever job with Sakamoto. Chiba has shown that he has left some gas in the tank. Chiba can be a dangerous enemy by now. He is aging and he have to know that this is his last opportunity to do something important. What hell is happening with Yamamoto? A year ago was the “missu” of the Lightweight, and now he is in the middle pack. And he is 30. Well Go, the news are that you change your direction or you are… gone. That the polish-chick ( I won’t learn his name, sorry) has won is not a surprise. She was seed “5” but there is too much parity in the women division, that it was a 50%-50% match. I think the polish-chick won’t win nothing, but is funny as hell to see his contests. Rush has done a very intelligent match, passing the first round without much damage, and Kapur well.. he should think about changing his name to Ka-Boom. All in all the night has been a nice one. Solid matches but nothing memorable. The WMMAC is heating up but the way will be tooo long. See you in… Seoul????? Well, in Seoul in February people Maldad out.

Archived