The Rise + Fall Of CZCW

[CENTER][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4]DELTA PUBLISHING CORPORATION[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER] [RIGHT]FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE[/RIGHT] [LEFT]Delta Publishing Corporation is pleased to announce the upcoming [/LEFT] release of [I]The Rise + Fall of CZCW[/I]. First-time author Kevin Dorran chronicles the company’s meteoric rise to national prominence and the sudden fall that led to the demise of one of the most popular independent wrestling promotions in America. Packed with interviews, [I]The Rise + Fall of [/I] [I]CZCW[/I] is both an unique look back at, and a fitting tribute to, the triumphs and tragedies of Coastal Zone Championship Wrestling, one of the most beloved professional wrestling organizations in history. [CENTER]# # #[/CENTER]

[B]About the author:[/B] “Super Fan” Kevin Dorran has been a fan of professional wrestling since 1996, when he saw his first live SWF show at the tender age of ten. He became a regular contributor to the messages boards at GrappleFanatics.net and, at age fifteen, was given the job of assistant moderator. After a move to California, Dorran fell in love with the fast-paced, high-flying style of CZCW and soon started CZCWonline.com, a site he continues to run despite the promotion’s bankruptcy. Dorran has contributed articles to both GrappleFanatics,net and WrestlingCircle.com and was content editor and assistant webmaster for CZCW.com, the promotion’s official website, for the last four years of the site’s existence. [I]The Rise + Fall of CZCW[/I] marks Dorran’s first foray into the world of traditional publishing, though the author has seen two of his articles on the subject see print in the magazine [I]Pro Wrestling Hits[/I]. Dorran continues to live in sunny Southern California, with his Siamese cat HighSpot and three surviving ferns from what he calls “the great houseplant massacre of 2009”.
OOC: This is the second time I've tried my hand at a diary--I started an on-going SWF diary with TEW 2005 but never posted much of it--so I decided to do a more finite version with a CZCW game I ran for 5 years before going bankrupt. Because I feel I am marginally better at writing straight prose then I am at doing the more traditional type of diary, I decided that this diary would work best as a "look back" at the rise and fall of my promotion, written as if it were a book published in the Cornellverse. The fictitious author was created after-the-fact and was not a part of the game world as I played the game. In fact, I used the default data with only two modifications: a Tiny television network was added for the South West to increase CZCW's chances of landing a television deal, and, to keep my interview segments from being totally crapped on by the crowd, the Mainstream product setting was bumped up to "Heavy" and the match ratio was reduced to 80%. Some of the things you may see in the diary can not be duplicated in-game--the exclusive deal CZCW signed with the Simmons Center, for example--but part of the beauty of playing TEW and doing a diary is allowing the imagination to fill in the gaps. I hope whoever reads this diary enjoys it as much as I did playing the game and writing the diary and, as always, thanks to Adam for creating such an excellent series of games.

[CENTER][B]INTRODUCTION[/B][/CENTER] [I]"My friends, tonight I stand before you a humbled man. Humbled by your years of love and support. Humbled by everything you did, and everything you tried to do. Humbled by the e-mails, the cards, and the letters you sent when rumors first started surfacing that CZCW was in dire financial need. Humbled by the fact that so many of you were here--tonight--to watch us perform for you one last time! [/I] [I]"But, don’t think of this as an end. Think of it as another chapter in a book still being written, another act in a play still being performed. Some of us you will see again. For others, the spotlight will fade. But CZCW will live on in each and every one of you! In your memories and your stories, in your photographs and your videos, and, most importantly, in your hearts! [/I] [I]"And so I thank you--we thank you!--for everything you’ve given us these last twenty years. I thank you--we thank you!--for allowing us to do what we love, these last twenty years. I thank you--we thank you!--for allowing us to bleed for you, to sweat for you, to cry for you these last twenty years! I thank you--we thank you!--for allowing us to entertain you, these last twenty years! From the bottom of my heart, I humbly thank you for being our fans!"[/I] The speech, given by a tearful Cliff Anderson in front of a standing-room-only crowd at the Simmons Center on August 3rd, 2012, has since become known as the “Eulogy for CZCW” and is the second-most downloaded, wrestling-related video in internet history. Surviving where others had failed, CZCW was one of the most successful independent wrestling promotions in North America. Their unique brand of hard-hitting, high-flying, fast-paced action had won them fans around the world. Shows at the Simmons Center, their “home field”, were always sell-outs. They had even landed a weekly television show. It looked like everything was in place for CZCW to become a major force in North American professional wrestling, but by August of 2012, CZCW was bankrupt and Cliff Anderson was giving his “Eulogy for CZCW”. So what went wrong? What happened to necessitate a farewell show or an eulogy for the once-thriving company? This book looks to peel back the layers of time and examine what contributed to the rise and eventual fall of CZCW.

First, however, a word about the author is necessary. I have been a wrestling fan most of my life, being introduced to SWF when I was ten. Moving to California to attend college, I was introduced to CZCW in 2004 and it has been my obsession ever since. I started a fansite--CZCWonline.com; check it out!--and it grew popular enough to attract the attention of people inside the company. In 2008, I was given the positions of content editor and assistant webmaster of CZCW.com, the promotion’s official website. Despite what some “news sites” like to believe, I had no input in the day-to-day operations of any other aspect of the company. I was not a part of the creative process; I was not on the booking team. In fact, I seldom had any real contact with anyone inside the promotion, as I was able to do my job from home. That is not to say I never met any of the workers--in fact, I consider myself fortunate to have made as many lasting personal and professional relationships as I have--but I feel the need to set the record straight concerning my involvement with CZCW. I loved the company, I loved my job, but my only real role within CZCW was as an observer and even I wasn’t able to see the end coming.

[CENTER][B]CHAPTER 1: The Rise[/B][/CENTER] It feels strange to write about the “rise” of a company that, by the start of 2007, had been in business for fifteen years. But it wasn’t until January of 2007 that the company really took the first step on the long road to the top. And that first step was exclusivity. Shortly after CZCW’s Christmas Cage Chaos 2006, representatives from the Simmons Center approached CZCW owner Cliff Anderson with an offer to run shows exclusively at their venue . The Simmons Center would become the unofficial “home” of CZCW, bearing witness to the company’s triumphs and tragedies for the next five years. Now free of the pressure of promoting their shows, Anderson and his team could concentrate more on the creative side and build long term plans. Which was a good thing, since CZCW now had to run twice the number of shows as they did in 2006. Cliff Anderson was gracious enough to grant CZCWonline.com an interview in April of 2007 to discuss the company’s new schedule. [B][COLOR=#ff0000]Kevin Dorran[/COLOR][/B]: Thank you, Mr. Anderson, for taking the time to sit down with us here at CZCWonline.com. [B][COLOR=#0000ff]Cliff Anderson[/COLOR][/B]: You’re welcome, Kevin. It is always a pleasure to talk to our fans. [COLOR=#ff0000]KD[/COLOR]: I know you are busy with Spring Break Bash right around the corner, so I won’t take up a lot of your time. [COLOR=#0000ff]CA[/COLOR]: (laughs) And for that, I thank you. [COLOR=#ff0000]KD[/COLOR]: What can you tell me about the deal with the Simmons Center? [COLOR=#0000ff]CA[/COLOR]: Right now, we have, I think, a pretty good deal in place. Twelve shows this year with an option for twelve more next year. The people at the Simmons Center take care of everything non-wrestling related, from handing out flyers and putting up posters to getting us interview time on local radio stations. They even allowed us to continue our free streaming webcasts of the events. Honestly, they have taken such good care of us since the year began. About all we have to do is show up and wrestle. (laughs) [COLOR=#ff0000]KD[/COLOR]: Sounds like a great relationship and surely a profitable one too. I know that the first three shows you’ve run this year were sell-outs. [COLOR=#0000ff]CA[/COLOR]: That’s true. We’ve had to turn people away. [COLOR=#ff0000]KD[/COLOR]: Now that you are going to be running twelve shows a year, how are things different? What do you do different now that you have twice as many shows to work with as you had in the past? [COLOR=#0000ff]CA[/COLOR]: Well one thing having more shows means is that we have more of a chance to develop our workers, more of a chance to get the audience to connect with them. We can give them more promo time, more match time, play to their strengths. And that is the most important part in building a brand, that connection with your audience. [COLOR=#ff0000]KD[/COLOR]: Did it come as a surprise to you when the people from the Simmons Center approached you with their offer? [COLOR=#0000ff]CA[/COLOR]: In a way, yes it did. We’d run a few shows there in the past and we’d always been happy with the arrangements there, but having them offer us such a generous deal was a complete surprise. [COLOR=#ff0000]KD[/COLOR]: What about the turn-around? You’d just finished Christmas Cage Chaos 2006 and they wanted you to put on your first show the following week. [COLOR=#0000ff]CA[/COLOR]: That’s true, they did. But we didn’t really have anything planned--our next scheduled event after Chaos wasn’t until April--so we needed some time to plan things out. Fortunately, Pernell [I]{Williams, owner of the Simmons Center .ed}[/I] understood and allowed us a couple weeks to put a show together. [COLOR=#ff0000]KD[/COLOR]: Is that where the Contender’s Challenge came from? [COLOR=#0000ff]CA[/COLOR]: Yes. It was an idea we’d kicked around a few times before, but never really had the chance to do anything with. Honestly, it was Preston’s baby [I]{Preston Holt, CZCW head booker .ed} [/I]something he’d done years before with RPW and had some success with, so we knew it could work. From there, it was just a natural extension to allow our fans to vote on the website for the four participants. [COLOR=#ff0000]KD[/COLOR]: You started off with a Fatal Four-Way match, and whoever took the pin was eliminated. The next month, the remaining workers were in a Triple Threat match, and whoever took the pin there was also eliminated. Then it was down to a regular one-on-one match, and the winner became the number one contender for the Coastal Zone Championship. Were you surprised at all with the outcome of the Contender’s Challenge? Or even with the workers the fans voted in? [COLOR=#0000ff]CA[/COLOR]: Not really, no. James Prudence is a great worker and has a long history with our champion, Donnie J, so we weren’t surprised that he was able to earn himself another title shot. As for who the fans voted in, Ultimate Phoenix was an easy choice. He is a real up-and-coming star and deserved the chance. The biggest surprise, to me, was how close the votes were for fourth and fifth place. Fox Mask, despite being a multiple time champion, only beat out Plague by a couple hundred votes. The fact that Frankie Perez was the top vote-getter was also a bit of a shock. He is an amazing worker and we knew that the fans were behind him, but we had no idea he had such a big online following. That he made it to the final match is a testament to his abilities in the ring and I see nothing but bright things ahead for that young man. [COLOR=#ff0000]KD[/COLOR]: (laughs) Perez didn’t make out so bad for losing, did he? [COLOR=#0000ff]CA[/COLOR]: (laughs) No, he sure didn’t. All three did pretty well, even though they may have lost the Challenge. And that was Reese’s idea, [I]{Reese Paige, another member of the CZCW booking team .ed} [/I]to give title shots against our other champions to the three who didn’t win. Ultimate Phoenix and Fox Mask, the first two eliminated, get to face our Coastal Zone Tag Team champions, Air Force 1. And Perez, of course, gets a shot at Matt Sparrow, the current Coastal Zone Xtreme champion. [COLOR=#ff0000]KD[/COLOR]: Ever since I moved to California, the first sign of Spring for me has been CZCW’s Spring Break Bash, which is just three days away. How do you feel, going into the first “name” show of the year? [COLOR=#0000ff]CA[/COLOR]: (laughs) I know a lot of the fans aren’t thrilled with the name “CZCW Monthly at the Simmons Center“, but we had a lot of other things on our plate, so naming the events wasn’t top priority at the time. We have some ideas for next year, should the Simmons Center renew our deal, but for now we have the six familiar names and the six new ones. As for Spring Break Bash, we’re all really excited about it. The show sold out two weeks ago and the buzz on the message boards has be phenomenal. I just hope we can live up to the expectations. [COLOR=#ff0000]KD[/COLOR]: I want to thank you again for your time, Mr. Anderson. Would you like to run down the lineup for Spring Break Bash before we go? [COLOR=#0000ff]CA[/COLOR]: Sure. Mark Smart looks for his first victory in CZCW with a rematch against Marc Speed. “Psyche Out” Remmy Skye takes on Jeremiah Moose, Masked Cougar faces off against Insane Machine. Of course, we have our tag title match, Ultimate Phoenix and Fox Mask against Air Force 1. Plague and Citizen X have a match, Frankie Perez gets his title shot against current Coastal Zone Xtreme champion, Matt Sparrow, and the main event is James Prudence versus Donnie J for the Coastal Zone championship. I think it has the makings of a strong show and I invite everyone that can to log on and watch the live webcast. [COLOR=#ff0000]KD[/COLOR]: Sounds like a good show. As usual, I will have my predictions online before the show starts and then my post show wrap-up. Thanks once more for your time, Mr. Anderson, and good luck.

That Contenders thing is suspiciously similar to the Elimination chase. What's up with that? ... -_-' I'm just joking. Great Job so far. I'm really stoked to see what you did with CZCW, (and how you managed to screw it all up. :) ) - Sonfaro

• 1 month later...
An exclusive venue, a string of successful shows, and a new champion; what did CZCW have in store for the summer, traditionally the promotion’s busiest time? With six additional shows, and several workers having outside commitments, their first order of business became expanding the roster. Spring Break Bash saw the beginning of this expansion, as former MAW superstar Titan debuted as James Prudence’s “hired muscle” and helped Prudence win the Coastal Zone title. While Titan was the first, he was certainly not the last, as the favorable schedule--one show a month--and the pleasant California weather helped make CZCW a popular destination for free agents. Even in the best of times, the wrestling industry is a fickle business. Workers both popular and talented can find themselves unemployed at any moment as promoters attempt to find the “next big thing” in the ever-changing landscape of professional wrestling. In particular, SWF is notorious for an almost annual overhaul of its roster. It was this annual turnover that brought The Young Guns--Steve Gumble and Harry Allen--to CZCW, where they joined new-comer Davis Wayne Newton and the returning Gilbert Brothers to bolster CZCW’s roster. While bringing back the popular Gilberts and adding former SWF champions the Young Guns [I]{The Young Guns were SWF Cruiserweight Champions and both Gumble and Allen held the SWF Cruiserweight singles title before it was retired; Allen was also SWF All-Action Champion .ed} [/I]were notable additions, the biggest--and possibly the strangest--signing of the Summer of 2007 was Jim Force! Shortly after his CZCW debut, Jim Force was kind enough to grant CZCWonline.com an interview. [I]Notes: This is the first interview I ever conducted where the worker remained “in character” for the entire interview. At least I assumed he was staying true to the Jim Force character, or else the rumors that he has been losing touch with reality are worse than reported. This interview also took almost twice as long as a typical interview. Jim Force invited me to the Pig & Whistle Tavern, a restaurant not far from the Simmons Center that is popular with CZCW fans and workers alike, and we were constantly being interrupted by fans seeking an autograph or a picture. To his credit, Jim Force didn’t turn anyone away, signing autographs for anyone who asked, posing for pictures with anyone who wanted one taken. His generosity may have made the normally hour-long interview take closer to three hours to complete, but he earned my respect with his selfless attitude towards his fans.[/I] [COLOR=#ff0000]KD[/COLOR]: Thank you, Mr., uh, Force . . . [COLOR=#0000ff]JF[/COLOR]: (laughs) “Jim” is fine. [COLOR=#ff0000]KD[/COLOR]: (laughs) Thanks. And, thank you, Jim, for taking the time for this interview. So, first things first: Why CZCW? I mean, you are a fairly well-known wrestler, but most of your success has been on the East Coast. SWF. DaVE. Even USPW is based in the Eastern half of the United States. Why come out west? Why come to CZCW? [COLOR=#0000ff]JF[/COLOR]: East Coast. West Coast. It matters little; The Force is nationwide! CZCW is another challenge, another proving ground, another opportunity to showcase the strength of The Force! [COLOR=#ff0000]KD[/COLOR]: Throughout your career, you’ve always portrayed the “good guy”. What was it like for you to be greeted with boos and chants of [I]“You can’t wrestle” --[/I]and worse[I]--[/I]when you debuted in CZCW? [COLOR=#0000ff]JF[/COLOR]: Words! What are words to The Force? The Force is strong and their words have no power. Soon, very soon, CZCW will feel The Force! Boos will turn to cheers, tears will turn to joy and all will know The Force! [COLOR=#ff0000]KD[/COLOR]: You are a very entertaining worker, there is no question about that. But you were never known for your in-ring ability. Do you feel this is a disadvantage for you, here in CZCW, where the workers are known for there in-ring ability? [COLOR=#0000ff]JF[/COLOR]: Primal Rage. Prince Adam. Titan. All have played a role in the history of CZCW. Likewise will The Force have a role in the future of CZCW, a destiny to fulfill. [COLOR=#ff0000]KD[/COLOR]: What do you feel is your CZCW destiny? [COLOR=#0000ff]JF[/COLOR]: Immortality! Soon Prudence will feel the power of The Force and my name will be etched alongside the heroes of the past. [COLOR=#ff0000]KD[/COLOR]: Next month, at Wave of Fury, [I]{August, 2007 .ed} [/I]you have a title match against James Prudence. If you can fulfill your destiny, will CZCW require a deposit before they let you leave the arena with the title belt? (laughs) [I]{During his run in USPW, Jim Force became notorious for giving away his title belts. It got to the point where USPW required him to pay a substantial deposit before giving him a final run with the USPW National Title.}[/I] [COLOR=#0000ff]JF[/COLOR]: Championships belong to the People. I am merely caretaker of the belt. Who am I to deny the People what is rightfully theirs? [COLOR=#ff0000]KD[/COLOR]: Well Jim, I want to thank you for taking time out for this interview. It certainly was an experience. (laughs) [COLOR=#0000ff]JF[/COLOR]: People respond to The Force; it is my curse. (laughs) [COLOR=#ff0000]KD[/COLOR]: Final thoughts? [COLOR=#0000ff]JF[/COLOR]: Just this: The Force is here to stay and the strength of The Force is not something to be taken lightly by fans or foes! [I]Notes: Three weeks after this interview, Jim Force was gone from CZCW, inexplicably signing with World Level Wrestling in Japan. [/I]

Archived