Just started playing again

I've owned BBCF since it's release but have gotten sidetracked with other games, real life and other things but pulled out my copy the other day and started playing again. I usually start with a real low team..this time with my alma mater Louisiana- Lafayette. After a dozen or so seasons of real poor performance I did a search and hired new coaches with a focus on development rather than scouting. I also went real hard after transfer players as they were all better than anything that I was able to recruit personally. Anyway, just took a promotion to North Texas, hired new coaches with again a focus on Development. I usually try to schedule a couple of patsys for early in the season although no guarantee for a W there as my teams are also real low on prestige. Anyway, my best season after 26 seasons is 5-6 (twice) and 4-7. Any other tips, suggestions, ideas to try to get a winner with these low programs? In the past I had the same problems although when I play with a Michigan or LSU or USC program it's no problem to win, compete for conference championships and play in top tier bowl games.

The biggest thing to remember in playing with lower level teams is to spend a TON of time in the recruiting phase. The only way you can get your team better is to land that #2500 linebacker who has a ton of speed and good tackling but no hands or pass rush moves, and see that he racks up 12-15 tackles every game. Or that #2789 fullback who is just small enough to move to running back and he's got superior power and can pound the ball inside. That's what I always do when I'm playing a lower tier team, anyway. And if you can afford it, go with the top level recruiting service. It makes you much more efficient and gives you better ratings.

I typically will sort each category and only recruit guys with a 50+ rating for their primary category. Example: a RB with a 50+ rush, a WR with a 50+ catch, DE with 50+ pass rush. I never seem to get any interest with anyone in the 60+ range (yet) and no green (3 ***) players, so I don't waste my time. I do gamble during the transfer period putting out a dozen offers, or one per position. Usually sign between 1-3 each year. These tend to be the best players on the team.

Archived