ok im thinking of making a diary for tew 08. It will probably be focused on a new japanese promotion. I want to know from you guys if you care for a diary that wont really focus on storylines just wrestling there will be new workers in this promotion and i will make up background stories for them so you know where they are coming from and i will detail whats going on in the wrestling world. so what do you guys think

oh ok well i wasnt sure if this was done before as a diary. Not sure how he is doing it but im thinking of just drawing names to see who wins the matches. I will select who faces who but the outcome will be anyones guess. It should make for many title changes hehe but i guess thats ok.

[QUOTE=vocalorigami;420451]oh ok well i wasnt sure if this was done before as a diary. Not sure how he is doing it but im thinking of just drawing names to see who wins the matches. I will select who faces who but the outcome will be anyones guess. It should make for many title changes hehe but i guess thats ok.[/QUOTE] Or you could let your road agent (aka The Game Engine) pick the winner, that's pretty random as well I think. I do this a lot in my I-don't-care-who-wins matches.

yeah forgot about that option ill probably do that. So yeah ive been thinking about what i will be doing in this diary. It should have back stories for everyone i make in this new promotion. So you can know the worker a little more since i wont have pictures for them. I wont be the owner ill just hire someone to be the owner and make it his story to tell the happenings in the promotion. I hope people like the idea. Since it looks like the ROF diary is very popular

[QUOTE=vocalorigami;420457]oh right sorry.[/QUOTE] No need to apologize vocalorigami. On these boards I've learned people will give anyone a chance to prove they can write. In some cases multiple chances. Fromage's RoF and Tigerkinney's Burning Hammer dynasties are almost pure wrestling, very different, and well regarded. Write a good, compelling, entertaining diary... and the readers will find it.

[QUOTE=vocalorigami;420461]Thank you guys. I'm not the best when it comes to grammar but I will try when the time is right to put out a entertaining diary.[/QUOTE] Me niether bro, its why I write diaries and stuff to help improve it :) I'm starting a new one for TEW 08 too. I have my gf look over my grammar too though :D

Thanks for the diary mentions, guys. There's no reason why a diary based on wrestling rather than stories can't be extremely good. I think you just have to find a way to do it that makes people want to continue tuning in - you need to allow your wrestlers to have some kind of character that people can invest in, despite that not being a focus of your booking. The most interesting thing from my perspective in running a diary for a pure wrestling fed is seeing diary readers' reactions to wrestlers towards their in-game popularity. Sometimes a worker gets over in the diary far more than in-game and vice versa. And I find Apu's hate for Stevie Stoat and Danny D's love for (and Beeker's irritation towards) Billy Robinson endlessly amusing! If you look at TK's Burning Hammer diary, it's brilliantly written and focuses mainly on the match write-ups, which have incredible detail. He gives every wrestler a move set and he also makes sure that his show previews really explain why wrestlers are facing off, which makes everything much more meaningful. My ROF diary couldn't be more different. I don't watch wrestling, so focusing on match write-ups isn't going to work. I went a more flashy graphical route but trying not to make the flash take away from the substance. My shows don't include any angles (apart from extremely occasionally where it is necessary). But I tell some stories through the newsletter reports, try to build up certain rivalries through matches (particularly multi-man matches) and use wrestler interviews to get personas across. This way it's not just match after match after match. Also, I tried the 'road agent picks the winner' approach early in my diary when I was just trying to build the promotion. It worked okay, but I could only have Johnny Highspot beat Merle O'Curle in a pure fed so many times!! :D And as I said before, it's become a bit of a balancing act in terms of trying to incorporate diary reader feelings into the game as well as what the in-game fans suggest. If a diary reader latches on to a character, you want to try and use that, which can sometimes cause you to change plans a little. So basically my 5 top tips for a pure fed diary... 1) [B]Find your niche [/B]- what will make your diary stand out? 2) [B]Keep it regular [/B]- try to post on a regular basis so readers know what they're getting and when they're getting it 3) [B]Use your feedback [/B]- I think people enjoy diaries more when they feel they're actually a part of the promotion's fan-base 4) [B]Think about character[/B] - even though your wrestlers don't actually need it in the game, they may need it a little for your diary readers 4) [B]Enjoy your game [/B]- it will show in your writing!

thanks marcel and everyone for the advice. I'm sure it will come in handy. In the past I would just draw names to see who would win, so I think I will do that. I think I will use cornellverse and make a new japanese promotion. I'll create about ten workers and hire several free agents and make back stories for the ten new workers and stories for the free agents as to how they made the journey to the new japanese promotion.

[QUOTE=vocalorigami;420803]thanks marcel and everyone for the advice. I'm sure it will come in handy. In the past I would just draw names to see who would win, so I think I will do that. I think I will use cornellverse and make a new japanese promotion. I'll create about ten workers and hire several free agents and make back stories for the ten new workers and stories for the free agents as to how they made the journey to the new japanese promotion.[/QUOTE] Not trying to tell you what to do, but I would suggest that that is NOT the way to get people interested in your diary - the readers on this forum want to relate to the characters, and trying to get them into people that they have never heard of isn't going to interest them. I can't think of many (if any) C-Verse diaries that have included "additional" characters where people have got behind the unknown guy(s) - with the possible exception of Scapino's Survivors - and even then, people hated them at first in his original SWF diary, and only the fact that he is a great writer has got us into them - and you yourself have admitted that you're not the best writer, so I think you will have trouble keeping readers. Just my opinion - feel totally free to ignore me completely!!! :p

[QUOTE=Rob4590;421192]Not trying to tell you what to do, but I would suggest that that is NOT the way to get people interested in your diary - the readers on this forum want to relate to the characters, and trying to get them into people that they have never heard of isn't going to interest them. I can't think of many (if any) C-Verse diaries that have included "additional" characters where people have got behind the unknown guy(s) - with the possible exception of Scapino's Survivors - and even then, people hated them at first in his original SWF diary, and only the fact that he is a great writer has got us into them - and you yourself have admitted that you're not the best writer, so I think you will have trouble keeping readers. Just my opinion - feel totally free to ignore me completely!!! :p[/QUOTE] I feel he could get his own characters going if he can really step and give them really compelling roles! End of the day, if they're his own characters, he's gna have more belief in writing for them right??

Archived