I want to understand the enormity.

I program for fun and for myself. my largest project to date has been built and rebuilt a number of times over a decade and currently sets at around 1400 lines of code and little or no commenting. my most complex under taking was sadly destroyed in a fire, it was 3000 lines of code, that was reduced to less than 1000 once i mastered recursion and pointers. It was a drawing program, and map creator for my own RPG. the RPG itself was around 1000 lines of code. it was the pinnacle of my qbasic programming and almost 3 years to complete. So now I've under taken [URL="http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30250"]Soapland[/URL] and in two months I've written over 4000 lines of code, gone through 3 versions. the current working version of the game has 1400 or so lines, with some documentation here and there. All that is a lead up to my true question, for the great developers here at Grey dog. How large are your programs by the time you distribute them? and more importantly how well do you document the code? do you do it as you go along, or do you go back latter and fill in the blanks? Just curios, thanks. :D

[QUOTE=Michael Wayne;427246]start with small things. Like programming a jukebox, calculator, or a "cd player". Then progress to more advanced stuff. Then to programming text games ;)[/QUOTE] Hmm, still wondering how many lines of code TEW, WMMA, WRE SPI, Bowl Bound , or fast break. not because I think my little nothing project will ever reach that level, but just because I'm curious and trying to code just this little dos based version has grown far more complicated then i originally imagined. as for a million lines, I would guess that's a little on the high side, but hey it's why i asked the question.

[QUOTE=mistaken;427535]Hmm, still wondering how many lines of code TEW, WMMA, WRE SPI, Bowl Bound , or fast break. not because I think my little nothing project will ever reach that level, but just because I'm curious and trying to code just this little dos based version has grown far more complicated then i originally imagined. as for a million lines, I would guess that's a little on the high side, but hey it's why i asked the question.[/QUOTE] I've got no idea how many lines my games are - they're split into pieces, I couldn't even begin to put an estimate to it.

• 2 weeks later...
To give a philosophical answer to your question, when your programs have "arrived" you'll A) realize the number of lines doesn't mean much of anything and B) there are so many files it would take a long time to find out how many lines the project is :) There are more than likely 100s of thousands of lines of code in the text games you play, but that number doesn't particularly mean anything, since any given line could have one character on it, or many characters.

[QUOTE=btmlltt;434278]To give a philosophical answer to your question, when your programs have "arrived" you'll A) realize the number of lines doesn't mean much of anything and B) there are so many files it would take a long time to find out how many lines the project is :) There are more than likely 100s of thousands of lines of code in the text games you play, but that number doesn't particularly mean anything, since any given line could have one character on it, or many characters.[/QUOTE] And it doesn't include any of the lines of code for functions calls written by other people. :D (who knows how many lines are in the windows api.) and then you could count the number of lines in the entire operating system which for xp was a billion+. :eek: because hey if it wasn't in windows we'd be back in dos. I was just curious. after no initial answer, i figured that something like the final answer was the truth. My thanks for Adam for taking the time to respond, especially right now when he has so many other things going on. Thank You! you answer was appreciated.

Archived