CBS EliteXC Saturday Night Fights

Lars34

I was only talking overall ratings, because just like this card the UFC Fight Nights routinely win those same demographics in all of television. The bigger question here for the broadcast tv debut was about the casual fans tuning in. [QUOTE]1: Big issue with Gina weight.[/QUOTE] They made the 140 weight category for her...AND SHE HAS NEVER MADE IT. She failed last time too. It's the reason I don't like Carano. She has been put in a position to be the face of women's MMA and she continuely does this to show she doesn't care about the sport. Apprently she did say she is going to have a "re-dedication" to the sport earlier this week... but at this point I don't care. The other women have to gain weight to move up to fight her in EXC's 140 division then she'll come in over weight for it anyway. I am interested to see how the talks with FOX go with the UFC now that these numbers are in. With the UFC's history, current PPV and SPIKE events, and how the CBS event turned out production wise, one would think they would trust the UFC to handle their own production which has been the sticking point with the UFC and networks.

Pretty decent show. Not fantastic, but some decent fights. It functioned as it was supposed to - Kimbo being the draw, the other fights being the real entertainment. A few thoughts... -a lot of people (in general, not necessarily on here) seem to be blaming the promoter for the stoppage in the Lawler-Smith fight. But the doctors are part of the state athletic commision, not a choice of the promotion. And the NC could turn out well for EXC as the rematch should generate serious interest. -the Kimbo fight... I think a best-case scenario for that was a quick knockout. Didn't happen and it wasn't a particularly good fight. Still, people are going to tune in again to watch him fight.... -loved the Carano-Young fight. The ladies do offer some skills, and not just those two. Actually caught a Bodog Fights best-of womens the same night and there were some solid fights. I would love to see Carano get matched up against Larosa but I seriously doubt that would happen anytime soon. Overall, I think you have consider the show a success. Despite the controvseries, it was fairly entertaining overall. Despite getting bashed by some sports writers - many of whom already clearly disliked MMA already, yet love boxing - there doesn't seem to have been any real public negativity. And the ratings make it a success in that regard.

[QUOTE=Bigpapa42;432661] -loved the Carano-Young fight. The ladies do offer some skills, and not just those two. Actually caught a Bodog Fights best-of womens the same night and there were some solid fights. I would love to see Carano get matched up against Larosa but I seriously doubt that would happen anytime soon.[/QUOTE] With LaRosa signing with the AFL it's not going to happen. I'd like for them to get anyone of substance to fight Carano. Preferebly not a woman who is undersized and has to move up to 140 to fight someone who can't make the weight for the division created for her giving her even more of a weight advantage...

[QUOTE=ACCBiggz;432689]With LaRosa signing with the AFL it's not going to happen. I'd like for them to get anyone of substance to fight Carano. Preferebly not a woman who is undersized and has to move up to 140 to fight someone who can't make the weight for the division created for her giving her even more of a weight advantage...[/QUOTE] Not sure it would happen even if LaRosa was with Elite XC. I get the feeling that the promotion is probably more interested in building Carano into a star than having her fight the best female fighters in the world. My guess for Carano's next opponent would be Shayna Baszler, who I think is under the EXC banner already. I like Carano and the girl can fight, but failing to make weight really makes me wonder. It makes it seem like she really isn't commited to the sport fully. Does she want to be a fighter or a celebrity? Not to say you can't do both to some extent, but one has to come first.

Archived