CBS EliteXC Saturday Night Fights

Lars34

good show, but i disliked how the ref stood them up when thompson had side control and then he stopped it kind of early idk if kimbo got "lucky" i think he could of won if anything i think the ref robbed both of them of a good ending because kimbo could of koed and thompson if he survived would of likely won the fight the whole card was good even the no contest with lawler and smith i hope it does well and they do another one

[QUOTE=syndicate;430983]good show, but i disliked how the ref stood them up when thompson had side control and then he stopped it kind of early idk if kimbo got "lucky" i think he could of won if anything i think the ref robbed both of them of a good ending because kimbo could of koed and thompson if he survived would of likely won the fight the whole card was good even the no contest with lawler and smith i hope it does well and they do another one[/QUOTE] the best fight of the night for me was Gina Carano vs. Kaitlin Young.

[QUOTE=Lars34;430986]the best fight of the night for me was Gina Carano vs. Kaitlin Young.[/QUOTE] I had never seen a girls match-up before tonight. Amazing first impression. I think my ex girl, with some training, could be an MMA champ. I'm a huge Kimbo mark (hate me all you want!) and I was so afraid he was gonna tap when Thompson locked in that choke.

[QUOTE=CapCee;431000]I had never seen a girls match-up before tonight. Amazing first impression. I think my ex girl, with some training, could be an MMA champ. I'm a huge Kimbo mark (hate me all you want!) and I was so afraid he was gonna tap when Thompson locked in that choke.[/QUOTE] Yeah the girls match was great....as for Kimbo I like like the rest of the world love to watch him fight...the reason I said he got lucky was, the Min. the fight was over he fell to the mat he could not gone another min. i bet. I also liked the way the show was put on...it had the feel of a Boxing,Wrestling & MMA all in one show.

[QUOTE=Lars34;430998]Lots of boooos going on in that match.[/QUOTE] yeah i did not understand it and i never will it always happens when the slightest no action happens it's why i like the crowds from japan better [QUOTE=CapCee;431000]I had never seen a girls match-up before tonight. Amazing first impression. I think my ex girl, with some training, could be an MMA champ. I'm a huge Kimbo mark (hate me all you want!) and I was so afraid he was gonna tap when Thompson locked in that choke.[/QUOTE] i don;t hate on kimbo if anything i am glad he has taken the time and effort to train in mma people who hate on him really hate on him for no reason it is true however he gets to headline cards biased on just his internet fame because he has beat nobody that is really a top caliber fighter and if he wants to get to that lvl i think he will need to improve drastically after watching him roll on the ground... but he did do better then what i think most people who hate him thought he would also i will assume your ex-girl has training in something for you to make a statement like that...

i notice a lot of people are bashing the event because of the stoppage and what not, but i thought the show was good overall not best of the year or anything close to that but it was a decent show [QUOTE=Lars34;431001]Yeah the girls match was great....as for Kimbo I like like the rest of the world love to watch him fight...the reason I said he got lucky was, the Min. the fight was over he fell to the mat he could not gone another min. i bet. I also liked the way the show was put on...it had the feel of a Boxing,Wrestling & MMA all in one show.[/QUOTE] i think he was given favors by the ref when the ref did not stop the fight in the second round when thompson was nailing him with countless unanswered elbows (that could of been stopped quick, but thats a judgment call) and then got stood up when thompson had side control and it was a early stoppage...

[QUOTE=Lars34;430986]the best fight of the night for me was Gina Carano vs. Kaitlin Young.[/QUOTE] I agree, I don't normally watch MMA, but I turned it on before this fight, and I thought it was pretty awesome. The next one was shaping up to be really good, it was a shame they had to stop it the way they did. I think Lawler would've ended up taking it, in a very close, evenly matched, and exciting remainder of the fight. Kimbo's match was interesting, and I was pulling for him the whole match, and was happy when he finally punched Thompson's horrible ear at the end, I think he would've pulled it out had it continued.

[QUOTE=mjdgoldeneye;431018]I couldn't watch it... My local CBS news station decided to air a telethon for a children's hospital for the whole show... WHO RUNS A TELETHON AT 8 PM UNTIL MIDNIGHT!!! :mad: Forget the sick kids, I want to see me some fightin'! :D[/QUOTE] i heard in some markets this was happening i think after midnight is airs in some areas, but i could be wrong

[QUOTE=mjdgoldeneye;431018]I couldn't watch it... My local CBS news station decided to air a telethon for a children's hospital for the whole show... WHO RUNS A TELETHON AT 8 PM UNTIL MIDNIGHT!!! :mad: Forget the sick kids, I want to see me some fightin'! :D[/QUOTE] That sucks...you missed a great show

[QUOTE=mjdgoldeneye;431018]I couldn't watch it... My local CBS news station decided to air a telethon for a children's hospital for the whole show... WHO RUNS A TELETHON AT 8 PM UNTIL MIDNIGHT!!! :mad: Forget the sick kids, I want to see me some fightin'! :D[/QUOTE] NBC did that to me tonight. Stupid Children's Miracle Network telethon garbage over the Stanley Cup Finals! :rolleyes:

The show will get a decent rating due to the hype the show and Kimbo had behind them, but I was NOT impressed by the show. [U][B]Match of the night[/B][/U] Gina Carano def. Kaitlin Young wow the face of women's MMA is half dead and blames it on poor training because of her schedule. Decent fight but if all the announcers can talk about is her being tired, I would be worried. [B][U]Should have been Match of the Night[/U][/B] Robbie Lawler vs. Scott Smith Great Job Elite XC stop your one title match when NOBODY wanted it stopped. Then to have Shaw run in and "stop the bleeding" by saying that a rematch would be done. I went from pissed off that the fight was stopped to laughing when Shaw was freaking out at the end. [B][U]Disapointment of the night[/U][/B] Kimbo Slice vs. James Thompson Now this will come as a shock to some, but while I had heard of Kimbo Slice I ever actually saw the Youtube videos. So this was the first time I really got to see him fight. If Kimbo is the "Face of Elite XC" they need some new fighters and FAST. If that is anyone other then Kimbo or if this is a UFC fight, the fight would have been stopped in the second round. The ONLY reason Kimbo won the fight is because it would have been a complete failure for the company if Kimbo lost. They got lucky due to the high interest factor and the fact that nothing else was on tv. Elite XC could go away and I would not care. Can't wait to read reports tomorrow.

[QUOTE=mystic;431077]The show will get a decent rating due to the hype the show and Kimbo had behind them, but I was NOT impressed by the show. [U][B]Match of the night[/B][/U] Gina Carano def. Kaitlin Young wow the face of women's MMA is half dead and blames it on poor training because of her schedule. Decent fight but if all the announcers can talk about is her being tired, I would be worried. [B][U]Should have been Match of the Night[/U][/B] Robbie Lawler vs. Scott Smith Great Job Elite XC stop your one title match when NOBODY wanted it stopped. Then to have Shaw run in and "stop the bleeding" by saying that a rematch would be done. I went from pissed off that the fight was stopped to laughing when Shaw was freaking out at the end. [B][U]Disapointment of the night[/U][/B] Kimbo Slice vs. James Thompson Now this will come as a shock to some, but while I had heard of Kimbo Slice I ever actually saw the Youtube videos. So this was the first time I really got to see him fight. If Kimbo is the "Face of Elite XC" they need some new fighters and FAST. If that is anyone other then Kimbo or if this is a UFC fight, the fight would have been stopped in the second round. The ONLY reason Kimbo won the fight is because it would have been a complete failure for the company if Kimbo lost. They got lucky due to the high interest factor and the fact that nothing else was on tv. Elite XC could go away and I would not care. Can't wait to read reports tomorrow.[/QUOTE] only thing that matters is the numbers that come in for the rating as i said before i thought the show was decent, but idk if it will really make a new comer go "wow" it was no ufc 84 or dream 3, but i thought the show was fine just i question the referring in the final match gina carano is popular because of her looks... she can fight but it's mostly because of her looks and being on a tv show like american gladiators also helps... she is getting tons of backlash from die "hardcore" fans like myself because she did not make weight again for a 5th time in her 6 pro fights... personally i find that stupid since the 140 pound weight class was created for her i don't see what the big deal is with shaw saying a rematch is needed... it's not his fault that the fight was stopped the ring side doctors are the ones that said he could not continue because he could not see out of his eye a lot of people think kimbo is famous for his "youtube" videos as people put it he had a video on the net like 3 years ago of him and another guy in a backyard and it was not first posted on youtube, but thats kind besides the point since he is still e-famous for fight videos... anyways i think elite xc's plan and to be honest i like the idea to have a guy like kimbo fight people at this lvl first off then feed him to the sharks unlike what the ufc has done with brock lesnar they feed him to the sharks right away after watching kimbos ground game i think elite xc will have a title match sometime in the future after kimbo gets some more wins over people he can beat and the casual fan will be bonkers for him until he comes across antonio "bigfoot" silva who i predict will beat him rather easy and the casual fan will say "wow that guy beat kimbo" the whole point for it is to just build up the brand with newer casual fans... if the numbers are good tomorrow this will be good news for mma, but to be honest even if elite xc does not do good it does not matter mma is bond to get bigger and bigger no matter what

Overall it'll be deemed a success because how the ratings grew, but that's to be expected as most casual people only wanted to see Kimbo's main event as that was what was being built up. I think the overall rating is around a 3.0-3.1, although I could be wrong, and that's on par with what Shamrock/Ortiz did on Spike... not broadcast TV. As for the card itself, failure. The stoppage in the title bout, how Kimbo looked against a medicore fighter who was brought in to be KO'd, and overall production. The articles from MMA sites and such pretty much cover it all, and while I've been glad to see Kimbo actually train MMA and such, he is still lightyears from being even in the middle of a legit heavyweight ranking. James Thompson is known to slug and have a weak chin, Rodgers knocked him out previously which is why they had him fight Kimbo this time... and Kimbo looked terrible through two rounds of action and then ended up getting the ref stoppage. There is no doubt any heavyweight with a decent ground game would finish Kimbo inside of three minutes. Hopefully he'll get back to training the ground game soon and show improvement for future fights... and hopefully EXC will quit spoon feeding him. EXC would be better suited to sign a couple legit heavyweights and use one of them against Kimbo to make him popular. Even though Affliction has signed a lot of them, someone like Aleks would have been a good choice. They aren't going to do this because Shaw is all about money and not long term success. He's a terrible influence on MMA, but is a decent spin doctor to make it seem like he is good for the sport. He's a typical boxing promotor, which is what he was.

I had a VERY diffrent impression of the womans fight. I guess as being a fighter i judge stuff very diffrently but here goes. 1: Big issue with Gina weight. 4 pounds does not sound like alot but it HUGE. It means that you are not training right. You are doing to much "other stuff", and you just don't have the desire to make weight. 2: The fight was sloppy as hell. The rear naked choke was ugly. Kaitlin Young just stood up at the end of the round. A good RNC would make it where you can't do that. She did not at all seam affected. 3: Gina is a great fighter. I mean really great. But it is odvious that she is trying to be the quote quote face of woman's mma way to much. She is on tv, making video games and so forth now. I don't think that is bad but I think she showed she can't do it all. I think she got lucky with a stopage because she was gassed at the end. I know i am sounding very harse but i have seen both women do alot better. I don't judge them any diffrently then men. I have been in training fights with women and have gotten my butt kicked. So i don't judge them any diffrently.

I loved the fight, the pace of women's fighting to me is so much fighter. Kaitlin shouldn't have thrown some of those spinning kicks tho, someone with great takedowns could have really punished her for those. But the opening takedown from the leg kick that Gina did in the opening moments was so couturish. He's really really helping her ground game improve in leaps and bounds. Her jabs are just sweet as. The main reason that I don't think you'll see elite XC rag on Gina too much. She's pimping out Women's mma every second of the day, pimping out elite XC every second of the day. Elite XC is profiting from her promotional activities. I don't know any other women in MMA is is going that. Tara Larosa apparently just signed a contract with American Fight League. I'm in MMA training and while I understand what Tara bitches and whines about with Gina getting all the attention, I think that Gina is making massive strides for women's MMA that all chicks (myself hopefully included) can take advantage of in the future. Personally I'm really excited at what Gina could do if she gets rid of all the side projects and Randy really kicks her butt into gear. She'll be a monster when she does.

[QUOTE=ACCBiggz;432072]Overall it'll be deemed a success because how the ratings grew, but that's to be expected as most casual people only wanted to see Kimbo's main event as that was what was being built up. I think the overall rating is around a 3.0-3.1, although I could be wrong, and that's on par with what Shamrock/Ortiz did on Spike... not broadcast TV.[/QUOTE] i forget the numbers but it's a bit higher then a 3.0-3.1 (not that much higher and i don't think the shower ever went below a 3.0 and might of peaked at close to 4.0 when kimbo was on), but they are going for target demographic numbers for the 18-34 male view and cbs is known to not do very well in this department anyways this is from cbs [QUOTE]“We have a little work to do with the hardcore fans and that’s something we’ll certainly address next time. But I think in terms of getting new people in I think we did a fantastic job.” The preliminary evidence on the show’s success appears to support that claim. [B]Early numbers for CBS’s dream demographic, 18-34 year-old males, jumped 271 percent from previous Saturday night averages. The two-hour telecast also led in ratings for adults 18-49, improving 36 percent from its usual Saturday night programming.[/B] It’s a trade Kahl and CBS are more than willing to make. “We had three goals going in,” he said. “We wanted to get younger viewers to a sleepy Saturday night for CBS, especially men. We certainly did that. It shows that this sport definitely has a broader appeal. Secondly, we wanted to get some new advertisers in the house. We had some first class advertisers, guys that don’t normally come to CBS. And we wanted to help expand the footprint of MMA. “Certainly there were some people that were tuning in that decided it wasn’t for them. I have to believe we got new people turning in for the first time and liked what they saw. We’ll be back, not just to CBS, but all the different outfits in the MMA world. So, in that sense, it’s a win-win.” [/QUOTE] i hope cbs is serious about putting on a better show next time around and making things better for the hardcore mma fans, but if they want to do that they have to sign better stars i wish they would get rid of the dancers but i don't think they will and thats more so some idea from elite xc since they do it at the showtime events to go a bit off-topic... i notice a lot of people keep saying this is the most watched event for mma in history, but thats just not true because in japan (the way japan does ratings are a little bit different then north american ratings) are higher and have been viewed by a lot more people

Archived