NYCW: Giving CPR To A Struggling Promotion

This was it. After almost wasting four years in college as an English major, I finally landed my first actual job. I'd be writing for New York City Wrestling. I was the guy in charge of the creative stuff. I wrote pretty much all the storylines you've seen in the promotion for the past two years. So when I was asked to become Head Booker, I jumped at the chance. And when Stomper said that he knew my secret, I froze. Ever since junior year of college, I was scared that I wouldn't be able to get a job when I graduated, so I started working out, preparing to join the military. I ended up landing this gig, so I didn't enlist, but I became enamored with wrestling, so much so that I wanted to do it. So, after Steve Flash mentioned he thought I had a good look, he privately trained me. Now Stomper knew, Steve had actually mentioned it to him, and said that now was as good of a time as ever for me to also get into the ring. Hey, I'm no going to argue with Derek. Anyway, since I dealt mainly with Main Eventers and people getting pushes, I now had to take a closer look at the roster. Here's what we have. Main Eventers Steve Flash (Face) - Our top baby face, top worker and champion, he's locked in right now to a two year contract, so barring a bigger promotion giving him a written contract, he's the we'll build around. Black Hat Bailey (Heel) - A good worker, he's good to have around and he can still draw a crowd, however, he's definitely on his way out and we need to bring up another heel to replace him. Grandmaster Phunk (Heel) - Great on the mic and decent in the ring, he's right now riding a wave of momentum. The fans want to see him. Upper Midcarders Whistler (Face) - Another classic wrestler who's looking at retirement, we need to pull up an undercarder to replace him. Jack Griggs (Face) - That's me. I' going to try to make myself the new Whistler of NYCW. Honest Frank (Heel) - Getting older, he's great at cutting promos and can make an awesome heel manager when he retires. Midcarders Wiley Steinway (Face) - If he weren't part of a tag team, he'd have been fired a long time ago. American Machine (Face) - A decent old school wrestler who surprisingly hasn't made his way up the card as much as I had hoped. Though, I do see interesting things in his future. Rick Sanders (Heel) - He's past his prime and on the way out for sure. Land Mass (Heel) - Here's my first firing. The Masked Mauler (Heel) - Here may be my second firing. Lower Midcarders Coyote Dynamite (Face) - See Wiley Steinway. Dazzling Dave Diamond (Face) - This man is my diamond in the rough. I have big plans for him. Big plans. Lee Wright (Heel) - The current Tri-State Regional champion, he's looking to retire soon. Openers Roger Dodger (Heel) - An extremely expensive enhancement talent. He may be fired too. Sammy The Shark (Heel) - I'm a huge Shark Mark and I think that he definitely has potential. Enhancement Talent NY Doll (Heel) - A jobber for now. We'll see how he improves. The main problem I can see right now is that we look like a less popular version of USPW. Too many old guys who are about to retire. We need to slowly phase them out and bring new guys in to take their places. Steve Flash will be the rock I build upon, which is good because he can wrestle a great match against a plank of wood.

Nice to see NYCW getting some dynastic love. One piece of advice, though: don't fire the Masked Mauler or Wiley Coyote. Sure, they're none of them great shakes in the ring, but their fundamentals make them good for training the rest of your card. As for new signings: Thomas Morgan is nice and skilled, and any of the SCCW guys would go well with DDD. I also think Statler & Waldorf vs. Wiley Coyote would be funny.

[SIZE="5"][B]NYCW Gang Wars[/B][/SIZE] [B]The East Village Duo vs. Wiley Coyote[/B] [I]After talks with MAW, Jefferson Stardust has come to NYCW, and what a better place for him to fit in than in the East Village? Well, he and resident punk NY Doll team up o take on veteren tag team Wiley Coyote.[/I] [B]Tri State Regional Title Match: Lee Wright vs. DDD[/B] [I]Dave Diamond is looking to break his downhill slide against the newly crowned Tri State Regional champion. Can he topple the grizzled vet and force him into retirement?[/I] [B]Rick Sanders vs. American Machine[/B] [I]Both men know what it's like to have tag team gold, hell, Rick still has it, but neither know what it's like to win the big one. A win here would definitely put them on the path to a singles title shot.[/I] [B]Empire Title Match: Steve Flash (c) vs. Black Hat Bailey[/B] [I]BHB get his title shot here against the soft spoken Steve Flash. Will Bailey be able to attain his goal, or will he fall to the power of the Flash Bang?[/I] Prediction Key The East Village Duo vs. Wiley Coyote Lee Wright vs. DDD Rick Sanders vs. American Machine Steve Flash vs. BHB

Guest The Aussie
[QUOTE=Sons of Kohral;436784][I]From NYCW's Website: NYCW management has released workers Roger Dodger and Land Mass. NYCW wishes the the best in their future endeavors. [/I][/QUOTE] Yes, of course you wish Rodger Dodger the best.... unlikely as he cannot justify his price tag

[B][SIZE="5"]NYCW Presents Rush Hour[/SIZE][/B] [B]Jack Griggs[/B] and [B]Whistler[/B] are walking backstage talking about apple pie and football, things that make the USA great. [B]Grandmaster Phunk [/B] walks up to them and says that they're forgetting about the three most important things. Bitches, bitches and mo' bitches. Whistler takes offense to that and things get pretty heated with Griggs trying to break things up. [B]C+[/B] [B]Wiley Coyote[/B] defeated [B]The East Villiage Duo[/B] in 7:42 when Coyote Dynamite defeated Jefferson Stardust by pinfall with a Spinebuster. [B]E-[/B] [I]A pretty bad match, only made to give Wiley Coyote an easy win and to help NY Doll gain a little experience.[/I] [B]Lee Wright[/B] defeated [B]Dazzling Dave Diamond[/B] in 10:32 by pinfall with a Wright Stuff following interference from Sammy The Shark. During the match we also had Brady Prince run in and attack Triple D. Lee Wright makes defence number 1 of his NYCW Tri-State Regional title. [B]D-[/B] [I]Decent undercard match, DDD was actually doing pretty well until Brady Prince and Sammy The Shark ran down and proceeded to beat the hell out of him, allowing Wright to pick up the win.[/I] The cleaning crew comes out to wipe down the ring as [B]Fern Hathaway[/B] shoots some shirts into the crowd. [B]D+[/B] [B]Rick Sanders[/B] defeated [B]American Machine[/B] in 11:53 by submission with a Figure Four Leglock after blatantly cheating. [B]D[/B] [I]Both men actually looked pretty good out there. They really connected with each other. The ref was inadvertently knocked out by a clothesline from American Machine and Sanders capitalized by getting a steel chair and destroying Machine's legs with it before applying his finisher. [/I] [B]Grandmaster Phunk[/B] is in the ring giving a lesson about pimping he calls "Pimpin' Aint Easy 101". He's halfway through when [B]Whistler[/B] interrupts him saying that he wont allow Phunk to corrupt the youth of today. Phunk scoffs and the Masked Mauler hits the ring. [B]C[/B] [B]Whistler[/B] defeated [B]The Masked Mauler[/B] in 12:13 by pinfall with a Rebel Yell. [B]D-[/B] [I]Whistler showed his age, but the crowd seemed to mark out for him anyway. He put Mauler away, with his signature move and left the ring waving his American flag.[/I] Neither man is very good on the mic so a video package about [B]Black Hat Bailey[/B] and [B]Steve Flash[/B] played. [B]C-[/B] [B]Steve Flash[/B] defeated [B]Black Hat Bailey[/B] in 11:53 by disqualification. Steve Flash makes defence number 1 of his NYCW Empire title. [B]D+[/B] [I]Hmmm... that... was actually horrible. I blame Bailey since Flash can do no wrong.[/I] [B]Rating: D+[/B]

I tossed the Daily News across my office in disgust. That was a pretty bad show, but I kind of expected it. We're going to have shows like that at least until our storylines take off. Bailey obviously can't do anything no more and IU really don't want to bring in outside guys. I brought in Brady Prince, but that's because I felt he should've been signed to the company long ago. I wrung my hands and turned on my computer when someone walked in. It was a courier and he handed me a letter. Good, SWF signed a non-aggression pact with us, so I was safe. They probably felt we didn't have any talent to steal anyway. They might be right. Hopefully, this Whistler vs. Phunk Story can carry the company, with Flash's in ring ability rounding out the main event.

Archived