Dear modmakers..

Hello! I am a huge fan of the modding community and you guys are doing some awesome jobs here. However, things like sendspace, mediafire etc aren't too great for hosting files due to various filters/firewallls in place at universities or residential areas. Whereas I am generalising here, I would like to offer free hosting on my FTP to those that are spending so much of their time working on these mods. Unfortunately, I can't create a seperate TEW area with a password to give out to people to upload themselves. Therefore, if you would like me to host your mod (the hosting will most likely be permanent and thus the address will never need to be updated - the server has had one day of downtime in the last year), please send the files in an email to: [email]holton.phil@gmail.com[/email] along with a link to your mod thread so that I can post that I have uploaded them. My expertise doesn't stretch to creating a Bobinc style website - but if I can help you guys share your work I'd love to be able to. This is NOT a traffic boosting exercise or a way to try to generate ad revenue. The links will be pure links to the files ending in .zip/.rar/whatever. Please don't think I'm trying to make money off this :)

[QUOTE=Rathen4;454413] Therefore, if you would like me to host your mod (the hosting will most likely be permanent and thus the address will never need to be updated - the server has also had [B]99% downtime[/B] over the last year), please send the files in an email to:[/QUOTE] That's a lot of downtime :eek: Open maybe 30 seconds a day?? :p

Hey even if it did have 99% downtime it would still be more convenient than sendspace/rapidshare/megaupload/type in code wait 20 minutes type in code again look at advertising wait another 20 minutes then give up because the download is only available between the 3:00am and 3:03am but the bloody site doesn't tell you that until you've jumped through a bunch of hoops. :mad: Thanks Rathen, I'll be sure to shoot my mod your way when it's done.

[QUOTE=BurningHamster;454421]Hey even if it did have 99% downtime it would still be more convenient than sendspace/rapidshare/megaupload/type in code wait 20 minutes type in code again look at advertising wait another 20 minutes then give up because the download is only available between the 3:00am and 3:03am but the bloody site doesn't tell you that until you've jumped through a bunch of hoops. :mad: Thanks Rathen, I'll be sure to shoot my mod your way when it's done.[/QUOTE] That type of attitude and experience is exactly the type of thing I'm trying to prevent. Mods being more friendly to obtain means more exposure for the makers :)

I must be the only one that has no big beef with those kind of sites. I may have to wait a minute or so before I can free download. The only problem I run into is a download limit with some bigger files, so to balance that I do the smaller data stuff first then hit the limit with the big file but once you start the download it goes even if it puts you over the limit per day. Plus now with some of them I seem to always hit what they call "happy hour" which means no code and no wait time.

[QUOTE=Rathen4;454417]Oh :( Well I meant it's up an awful lot (it was down 1 day of the year). That'll teach me to make claims I know nothing out! :([/QUOTE] You just typed it wrong. The correct terminology is 99% UPtime. Downtime indicates the amount of time the website is not available for access.

Archived