Advanced Booking on the day of the event or several days before?

Is there a difference between advanced booking on the day of the event and advanced booking several days ahead of the event? Do you get some kind of extra bonus for advanced booking further ahead of the actual date or its the same bonus as you get for advanced booking just before the event? I used to advance book several days before an event like you would in real life, but then I found that I would often book too many matches than I could fit on the show. So instead I've been just waiting until the day of the event, and then when I start booking the actual show (all the angles and matches), I just Advance Book every match before I add them. Advanced Book Match (ie. Hulk Hogan vs Earthquake) Add Match (ie. Hulk Hogan vs Earthquake) This seems a little bit like cheating, I mean that's not really advanced booking - it's merely a technicality. I don't see the real point in adding that extra step. I understand the real use of Advanced Booking (several days before an event), there are advantages and disadvantages to doing this, so that works fine. Advantages is increased heat and build up for the match. Disadvantages is that you may fail to book the match on the day of the event due to a worker injury, no show or just can't fit it onto the card. Failing to book the match results in a penalty, so this is fair. But doing what I do (Advanced Booking on the day of the event) isn't what it was intended for - and if you get the same advantages as booking several days ahead, I would say its sort of cheating or unnecessary. You get the advantages of advanced booking (increased heat) but you don't get any of the disadvantages, no chance that you won't fail to book the match since you're just booking it right there. That to me adds a unnecessary step to adding a match or you could say its cheating.

If it is a monthly show, no not really. But lets say WWE books a Cena vs. JBL match for survivor series 4 weeks before hand. Every segment thost four weeks would raise the heat. So if you have a TV show, I would say you should book it beforehand, to raise the heat with segments, or other matches. If its a couple months ahead with monthly shows, I would also say yes. but other than that, I dont think it matters

I've often wondered exactly how this works. For example, if I advance book Sting vs Flair, it's got an A* rating. If I book it 2 or 3 shows in advance, it's going to lose heat for sure. Therefore, is it really relevant to book my ppv big matches in advance? Why not the day of?

[QUOTE=justtxyank;461857]I've often wondered exactly how this works. For example, if I advance book Sting vs Flair, it's got an A* rating. If I book it 2 or 3 shows in advance, it's going to lose heat for sure. Therefore, is it really relevant to book my ppv big matches in advance? Why not the day of?[/QUOTE] Ya that's the thing, from a gameplay standpoint and a realism standpoint, it would make sense to book it days/months in advance. It makes no sense to book it the day of, I mean that's not really "Advanced" booking if you ask me. Its like announcing a big event with no matches, then when the day shows up, one hour before the event you put out a press release telling people what the matches are. But from what I've been hearing on this forum, booking it on the day of the event helps the match, which shouldn't be the case. You get all the advantages of advanced booking without any of the drawbacks.

[QUOTE=Hyde Hill;461860]Yeps gameplay standpoint do day of, realism standpoint week or 2 in advance. No advantages or disadvantages other then advantage of day itself means no mistakes.[/QUOTE] Ya that's what I was thinking. That's why advanced booking on the day of really should do nothing for the match, since you are taking no risk at all by booking the day of the match (you have no risk of not being able to book that match). Secondly, why have that extra step to make sure the match gets a good rating? I mean only a player who doesn't know about advanced booking would not advanced book the day of the match or a player who forgot to advanced book - its an extra unnecessary step for the gamer. Whereas advanced booking ahead of time (days before etc) should help the match rating since you are taking a risk at not booking the match. The further ahead you advanced book the match, the better the advantages should be (greater bonus). The higher the risk you take, the greater the potential reward. However, I don't think this is how the game works from what I'm hearing.

[QUOTE=castorius;461874]Ya that's what I was thinking. That's why advanced booking on the day of really should do nothing for the match, since you are taking no risk at all by booking the day of the match (you have no risk of not being able to book that match). Secondly, why have that extra step to make sure the match gets a good rating? I mean only a player who doesn't know about advanced booking would not advanced book the day of the match or a player who forgot to advanced book - its an extra unnecessary step for the gamer. [/QUOTE] I take exception to that statement, if I am understanding it correctly. I advance book beforehand and I know what advance booking is. I do it because it is more fun.

[QUOTE=NickC13573;461877]I take exception to that statement, if I am understanding it correctly. I advance book beforehand and I know what advance booking is. I do it because it is more fun.[/QUOTE] How far beforehand? If you are advanced booking a day or more before the event, then I understand that, you should be getting Heat advantages for doing that. I believe that's how the game mechanics were intended. However, if you are simply just advanced booking just before you add a match (basically on the day of the event just as you are booking the event) then it really doesn't serve a purpose. Or rather it shouldn't serve a purpose, but I think it does.

I hope you're understanding what I'm getting at. If in fact, advanced booking on the day of the event gives an advantage to the match rating. Then there is no strategy in whether you should do it or not. It's an absolute no-brainer to advanced book a match on the day of the event. Every player should and will do it as long as they know about it. If its a no-brainer and there is no risk involved with it, why not do it? Who wouldn't do it? or why wouldn't you do it if it helps the match rating? However, there is clear distinction when advanced booking a match days ahead of the event. There is a strategy in advanced booking days ahead of the event because you choose to take a risk in possibly not fulfilling that match when the event comes around. The more days you advanced book ahead, the more risk you're taking because you don't know what kind of injuries, no-shows or situations might come up that might prevent you from booking the promised match. This is "strategy" and you should be rewarded accordingly. Its like having a game that you can use an item in a jar. But you have the option to open the lid first. If you choose not to open the lid first, it'll effect your ability to use what's in the jar. Its an extra unnecessary step, who wouldn't want to open the lid? In what situation would you not open the lid first?

The effect of advanced booking should be a factor of two things: Heat, and how long it's been booked for. Announcing Sting v Flair that day will generate a lot of "Aw, yeah!", but mainly from people already going to the show... if you announce it three months out, people will start saving money to buy tickets.

funny, actually posted something about this in another thread, but guess since it was a couple of days and sort of off-topic there went unnoticed, glad another thread got posted on this topic though.. I'm curious to that answer as well.. I've been using both, booking ahead, for mostly PPVs, but one ppv at a time, as that advance booking screen can get a bit to clodded.. And of course for TV shows as well.. sometimes I'll use an angle to book the match for next weeks taping to help build up some heat, but sometimes I even have the match during the same event.. If could get a clarification on some of the well-known vets of TEW on whether it makes a different or not, then we'll now for sure exactly :).. thanks!, MP

Ok not officially a vet here but have read and played a lot and only resently started posting. Straight from the ofivial tip thread from a vet tough he says: Advance Booking has equel effect if you do it on the same day as it does if you do it beforehand. So advancebook on the day itself for easier gameplay advancebook in advance for more realism. Thats how it is at the moment and no its not really ´realistic´. I would say take it to the suggestions forum, I would second it.

[QUOTE=Hyde Hill;461956]Ok not officially a vet here but have read and played a lot and only resently started posting. Straight from the ofivial tip thread from a vet tough he says: Advance Booking has equel effect if you do it on the same day as it does if you do it beforehand. So advancebook on the day itself for easier gameplay advancebook in advance for more realism. Thats how it is at the moment and no its not really ´realistic´. I would say take it to the suggestions forum, I would second it.[/QUOTE] ok good stuff there... In the end though, what can be better for you, by truly advance booking the match, you, like many of have said already, develop segments to increase the heat, and then of course have the match and it will come off better in the end. So if this is the case, and its like this, then good to hear I think.. MP

[QUOTE=castorius;461874]Ya that's what I was thinking. That's why advanced booking on the day of really should do nothing for the match, since you are taking no risk at all by booking the day of the match (you have no risk of not being able to book that match). Secondly, why have that extra step to make sure the match gets a good rating? I mean only a player who doesn't know about advanced booking would not advanced book the day of the match or a player who forgot to advanced book - its an extra unnecessary step for the gamer. Whereas advanced booking ahead of time (days before etc) should help the match rating since you are taking a risk at not booking the match. The further ahead you advanced book the match, the better the advantages should be (greater bonus). The higher the risk you take, the greater the potential reward. However, I don't think this is how the game works from what I'm hearing.[/QUOTE] I don't go to a lot of big wrestling events, but isn't not knowing the full card pretty much the norm? I mean, if you buy tickets to Raw, you don't know what matches are going to take place until they are announced, and often that's not until Monday afternoon. Even on indy shows, it's unrealistic that the casual fan would know every match on the card, and for indy shows there really isn't a big difference in booking today and booking two weeks from now because you don't have any shows between the two. The risk/reward you're talking about doesn't exist; you've gotta put something on the posters or your online content, and nothing is happening between the time you advance book and the night o the show. Besides, in my experience, advance booking seems to have a greater effect on pay per view buyrates and TV ratings, and it's not entirely unrealistic to advance book the week of or the day of to help get a few more buys.

[QUOTE=Serson Person;465264]Is there a way to get Adam to confirm which it is or isn't? The only problem I have in advance booking is the chance of injuries arising, so sometimes I'm not sure if it's worth the risk to advance book ahead of time.[/QUOTE] In case of injuries you can replace workers that you have advance booked it wil get lower heat then if you had just straight booked the same match tough. For instance: Brent Hill vs Guide A Guide gets injured: Brent Hill vs Scout B Wheras: Brent Hill vs Scout B+

[QUOTE=lazorbeak;465271]I don't go to a lot of big wrestling events, but isn't not knowing the full card pretty much the norm? I mean, if you buy tickets to Raw, you don't know what matches are going to take place until they are announced, and often that's not until Monday afternoon. Even on indy shows, it's unrealistic that the casual fan would know every match on the card, and for indy shows there really isn't a big difference in booking today and booking two weeks from now because you don't have any shows between the two. The risk/reward you're talking about doesn't exist; you've gotta put something on the posters or your online content, and nothing is happening between the time you advance book and the night o the show. [/QUOTE] You're pretty much arguing that there is no point in the advanced booked feature altogether. My main gripe with how TEW2008 handles advanced booking doesn't really have much to do with how its done in real life, but rather how it effects game balance. There really is no point in booking ahead of time from a gameplay perspective because you are at every disadvantage to do so. You are far better off just advanced booking the day of, just to play it safe. And in that case, there really is no point in having advanced booking since you are not really advanced booking it, you are merely just saying which matches you are gonna have on the show. Its essentially just adding an extra step to adding a match. ie. During a show, I advanced book match (ie. Flair vs Sting) - then immediately right after, I simply add the match (Flair vs Sting). Why the extra step? (why didn't I simply just "add the match"?) I do it because it helps the match rating. What I essentially did was fool the AI into thinking that I advanced booked the match. So we're not even really talking about real world implications, this can be seen directly from a gameplay/game balance perspective.

It would make more sense that advance booking gives more benefits when matches are advance booked months ahead of time. Why else would Adam program a field in the advance booking screen that shows which month you booked your match?

[QUOTE=castorius;465309]You're pretty much arguing that there is no point in the advanced booked feature altogether. My main gripe with how TEW2008 handles advanced booking doesn't really have much to do with how its done in real life, but rather how it effects game balance. There really is no point in booking ahead of time from a gameplay perspective because you are at every disadvantage to do so. You are far better off just advanced booking the day of, just to play it safe. And in that case, there really is no point in having advanced booking since you are not really advanced booking it, you are merely just saying which matches you are gonna have on the show. Its essentially just adding an extra step to adding a match. ie. During a show, I advanced book match (ie. Flair vs Sting) - then immediately right after, I simply add the match (Flair vs Sting). Why the extra step? (why didn't I simply just "add the match"?) I do it because it helps the match rating. What I essentially did was fool the AI into thinking that I advanced booked the match. So we're not even really talking about real world implications, this can be seen directly from a gameplay/game balance perspective.[/QUOTE] If you thought that's what I'm saying, you misunderstood. I was saying that because TV shows are frequently autobooked on the day of, and that affects ratings, and indy shows may as well autobook the day of because even if they book earlier, there is no gameplay difference between the two (should you be rewarded with a significantly higher turnout? Maybe, but that's not how autobooking has ever worked in TEW), that autobooking the day of is, for the most part, an accurate and acceptable way to do things. And maybe it's just for safety, but I get in the habit of advance booking in the AM section, so I don't have to go through that extra step you're describing- in fact, I save time, because I just pull the match out of the autobooking table rather than individually click the competitors. I also haven't seen that autobooking helps the match rating- TV Ratings and buyrates, sure, but have you confirmed an effect on the actual match rating?

[QUOTE=lazorbeak;465355]I also haven't seen that autobooking helps the match rating- TV Ratings and buyrates, sure, but have you confirmed an effect on the actual match rating?[/QUOTE] If you do what he said and ran an angle in a show effectively hyping a match - then yeah that can help the match rating (even if it's only by 0.5%) - in 2 ways: a) if the angle was highly rated, then it raises the crowd's mood, and thus gives a slightly higher crowd rating (and therefore match rating) for the next segment, and b) it can further a storyline, which will alos help the match rating. Also going back to an earlier point that I think lazorbeak made about real life companies not announcing the full line up until the day. Here in England, we get loads of promos on Raw / Smackdown about upcoming WWE tours to England - at the moment I think it is for after Survivor Series in November, and instead of just saying "we're coming to England on x dates" they semi-advance book the shows saying "we're coming to England on x date, when you'll see Undertaker, Edge, Finlay, Michelle McCool (quite why they advance book her I don't know :p) which in game terms would be Edge v TBA, Taker v TBA etc - its much more effective to say that you'll have a big star on a show, than just say that there IS a show. I'm quite sure that smaller promotions do exactly the same - they will tell you a few of the "big" names that will be fighting - to get more people in. Maybe then on the day (or a few days beforehand) they fill in the details eg Edge v Finlay, Taker v Mark Henry etc - much as we do in TEW by doing advance booking on the day itself.

[QUOTE=lazorbeak;465355]If you thought that's what I'm saying, you misunderstood. I was saying that because TV shows are frequently autobooked on the day of, and that affects ratings, and indy shows may as well autobook the day of because even if they book earlier, there is no gameplay difference between the two (should you be rewarded with a significantly higher turnout? Maybe, but that's not how autobooking has ever worked in TEW), that autobooking the day of is, for the most part, an accurate and acceptable way to do things. And maybe it's just for safety, but I get in the habit of advance booking in the AM section, so I don't have to go through that extra step you're describing- in fact, I save time, because I just pull the match out of the autobooking table rather than individually click the competitors. I also haven't seen that autobooking helps the match rating- TV Ratings and buyrates, sure, but have you confirmed an effect on the actual match rating?[/QUOTE] I don't think it really matters how it works in real life in this case. Because advanced booking the day of the show provides a gameplay exploit or rather an unnecessary gameplay mechanic. Adam has hinted before that gameplay will ultimately prevail over realism in design decisions, and I think this is one of those cases where it should take precedence. Nevermind for a second whether advanced booking on the day of the event makes sense in real life. Applying it to the game the way it is currently implemented, if it in fact helps the match rating (advanced booking the day of the event), then it should just automatically do it for you. Why? Well, its almost like asking the player "would you like to have a bonus added to your match ratings or would you like to have a penalty on your match ratings?" Its a no-brainer question. Why would anybody want a lower rating on their matches? Advanced Booking on the day of the event is not a valid strategy the way it is currently implemented. It has no consequences, it has no implications, its merely "do you want the bonus or not?". Why even have a choice for the player in the first place? Seems like a waste of time adding that extra step. Yes, we as players could make house rules and self-regulate for now, but it doesn't mean the feature can't be improved. I'm not saying that advanced booking should occur automatically, but rather I'm suggesting that advanced booking on the day of the event should have no effect on the match rating OR you shouldn't be able to advanced book on the day of the event UNLESS there is some sort of risk involved. [B]Advanced Booking "days/months before the event"[/B] is a good feature. The strategy is valid: you are trying to get a boost in ticket sales, increase heat for the match and subsequently a boost in the match rating. The risk you are taking is that you may not be able to follow through on the booking the match once the actual show date comes (due to various reasons: injuries, no-shows, not enough room on the card, change your mind etc). [B]Advanced Booking "on the day of the event"[/B] has no such risks. You already know who's injured on that day, you already know who's available. You are booking the card right there, so you know exactly which matches you are gonna have on the card - there is absolutely no risk that you won't follow through with your matches (You are booking the matches immediately after you advanced book them!)

[QUOTE=Rob4590;465553]If you do what he said and ran an angle in a show effectively hyping a match - then yeah that can help the match rating (even if it's only by 0.5%) - in 2 ways: a) if the angle was highly rated, then it raises the crowd's mood, and thus gives a slightly higher crowd rating (and therefore match rating) for the next segment, and b) it can further a storyline, which will alos help the match rating.[/quote] That's not advance booking. Running an angle in-show to boost an upcoming match is a completely different animal. [quote]Also going back to an earlier point that I think lazorbeak made about real life companies not announcing the full line up until the day. Here in England, we get loads of promos on Raw / Smackdown about upcoming WWE tours to England - at the moment I think it is for after Survivor Series in November, and instead of just saying "we're coming to England on x dates" they semi-advance book the shows saying "we're coming to England on x date, when you'll see Undertaker, Edge, Finlay, Michelle McCool (quite why they advance book her I don't know :p) which in game terms would be Edge v TBA, Taker v TBA etc - its much more effective to say that you'll have a big star on a show, than just say that there IS a show.[/quote] I think it's implied that even w/o advance booking, your stars are advertised as being on the show in some capacity, which is all what you're describing says. You're not necessarily getting a match, you're just getting appearances. And Castorius, I'm still not sure I understand your point. [quote]I'm not saying that advanced booking should occur automatically, but rather I'm suggesting that advanced booking on the day of the event should have no effect on the match rating OR you shouldn't be able to advanced book on the day of the event UNLESS there is some sort of risk involved.[/quote] Where does it say that MATCH RATING improves from advance booking? I've never heard that before; buy rates and TV Ratings are improved, and I've seen the difference, but I don't know that a B- match becomes a B just because the crowd expects it. Now, if you build up to an upcoming match, or feed the heat of an upcoming match with hot angles or whatever, then yeah, you get a "crowd reaction" bonus which gets factored into the final match rating. But where did you hear that you automatically get a better match just by using advance booking and nothing else?

[QUOTE=lazorbeak;465648] And Castorius, I'm still not sure I understand your point. Where does it say that MATCH RATING improves from advance booking? I've never heard that before; buy rates and TV Ratings are improved, and I've seen the difference, but I don't know that a B- match becomes a B just because the crowd expects it. Now, if you build up to an upcoming match, or feed the heat of an upcoming match with hot angles or whatever, then yeah, you get a "crowd reaction" bonus which gets factored into the final match rating. But where did you hear that you automatically get a better match just by using advance booking and nothing else?[/QUOTE] You're still missing my point. Whether "Advanced Booking on the day of the event" improves match rating or buy rates or TV Ratings, it doesn't matter - it shouldn't be improving anything in the first place. It's like pressing a button "Yes, I would like to have improved buy rates and TV Ratings". What's the point of pressing a bonus button? That's what it is right now when you Advanced Book on the day of the event. Who doesn't want improved buy rates and TV ratings? Of course everybody is gonna press the button, why wouldn't they? So why even have an option for it? (Yes, I would like to have improved buy rates and TV Ratings OR No, I do not want improved buy rates and TV Ratings). As long as there is no consequence to pushing the button, then what player would not press it? (aside from those that want to make house rules to challenge themselves). Don't lose sight of my point. I'm not saying that [B]Advanced Booking Days or Months before the event[/B] is a useless or broken feature. No, no, when you advance book days or months before you are using a valid strategy - you advanced book to possibly get whatever improvements it provides (whether it be improved buy rates, TV ratings or match ratings whatever). But the key thing is, there is a consequence or penalty to not booking an advanced booked match - you are taking a chance/risk. Whereas in the situation where you [B]Advanced Book on the day of the event[/B] you are taking no such risk - you are in the process of booking the event - all you're doing is taking an extra step while you're booking. There is no risk that you won't book the match, because you just book the match right after you advance book it and there is no risk of injury or no-shows because you are on the day of the event so you already know who's injured and who's a no-show. Two clear distinctions: 1. Advanced Booking Days or Months before the event 2. Advanced Booking the same day of the event (during the booking of the show)

Archived