WMMA - Thinking of purchasing -

I played the DEMO several months ago when WMMA first came out - Liked much of it......but never enough to jump in... I'm back and thinking of buying - How do some feel? Does WMMA game engine produce somewhat realsistic results (more often than not?) - With my playtesting I wasn't quite sure of this.....or quite sure that with all the large amounts of varibles/stats the game engine could use all that data in an effective way...... Also, if I do purchase.......What is a good recommend "MOD" for using today's fighters.......(and can you use both today's fighters and the fictional one's together in the same game/leauge?). Thanks

I think the engine produces good results more often than not, though I think there are quite a few too many upsets compared to real life. As far as real-world mods go, my favorite is Modern Warriors. It has pictures for most fighters and organizations and it has the biggest roster that I've seen (and a really strong female roster which is usually lacking in others). You can use real and fictional characters together in the same game, though you'll have to put them together into a mod yourself since I don't think there's anyone that makes one like that.

Thanks for the reply - I think with the Demo what I couldn't get a feel for was...was the game engine actually utilizing the hundreds of varibles (stats) that make up a given fighter....and using those Vs another fighter to determine an outcome (like other quality text based sims do).....or were all those stats simply "window dressing" more or less......and the WMMA Sim simply spurting out a result based on percentages or some other much simpler / more random varible set..... I know of a very good boxing sim (TBCB) where the game engine without question utilizes the varibles / stats very well ....and where styles make fights and you can watch via playtesting how the SIM actual uses all the data and very realistic type results are produced.... In my albeit limited playtesting with WMMA.....I could never really get the feel that this was happening.....it seemed more or less all the varibles/stats and values assoicated with a given figther were more window dressing than actual substance from which the simmed results flowed from.....(but I could be wrong......which I hope I am).

I think it does a great job of determining the winners. Having run two separate games as WEFF, some matchups remained the same (same winners I mean), while others did show a level of variability with "upsets" (I'm considering an upset someone who won that fight in my first game losing in the second game -- then again, given the stats, maybe them winning the first game WAS the upset). Given the circumstances though, it needs to be that way. Otherwise, you would be able to find dream matchups that would always guarantee the same result, which would defeat the purpose of the game. Also, given the nature of MMA, anyone could lose at any time, it's just a matter of getting caught in the wrong spot. Just because your stats are superior doesn't mean you will automatically win. As far as mods, I'm partial to TapOrSnap (I find it to be a tad more accurate -- but that's subjective). You can get the pictures from Modern Warriors to apply to that one anyway. And you can combine real world with the default data. I would start a game in the real data, and import the records of the default one (less records to import). I'm not sure if this applies to WMMA as it does to TEW, but in TEW you seem to get a more "stable" game by using the default data, which is what it was meant to use.

[QUOTE=meade95;466924]I played the DEMO several months ago when WMMA first came out - Liked much of it......but never enough to jump in... I'm back and thinking of buying - How do some feel? Does WMMA game engine produce somewhat realsistic results (more often than not?) - With my playtesting I wasn't quite sure of this.....or quite sure that with all the large amounts of varibles/stats the game engine could use all that data in an effective way...... Also, if I do purchase.......What is a good recommend "MOD" for using today's fighters.......(and can you use both today's fighters and the fictional one's together in the same game/leauge?). Thanks[/QUOTE] Buy the game you will not be disappointed. However if you want to play a mod play tap or snap they seem more willing to change things then modernwarriors who seem to think his mod is perfect.

[QUOTE=bill2169;467346]Buy the game you will not be disappointed. However if you want to play a mod play tap or snap they seem more willing to change things then modernwarriors who seem to think his mod is perfect.[/QUOTE] Don't listen to this guy about Modern Warriors. He just has a grudge against the mod maker and is going around taking jabs at him whenever he can. He is only angry because he has the opinion that Fedor's striking stats are too high. Modern Warriors will listen to all your suggestions so don't listen to him. Also if you request them to add a fighter they add them as soon as they can. But you really have to decide for yourself so download both and see what you like. Also don't neglect the C-Verse as it's a great mod.

[QUOTE=CQI13;467207] Given the circumstances though, it needs to be that way. Otherwise, you would be able to find dream matchups that would always guarantee the same result, which would defeat the purpose of the game. Also, given the nature of MMA, anyone could lose at any time, it's just a matter of getting caught in the wrong spot. Just because your stats are superior doesn't mean you will automatically win. [/QUOTE] I understand this point...or this reality very well - But that is outside of (to a degree) my question of how well does WMMA use the data (fighters varibles and stats) at coming to a result........Or are all those stats and varibles associated with each fighter more window dressing.....and the game relies on some more simpler and random way of producing outcomes.... Great sims.....have an AI engine in which the varibles themselves are what produce results.......And I can't tell if that is what is happening within MMA or if results are simply much more random......and via a process where the stats of given fighters in only a small portion of what decides an outcome.

[QUOTE=chris caulfield;467351]Don't listen to this guy about Modern Warriors. He just has a grudge against the mod maker and is going around taking jabs at him whenever he can. He is only angry because he has the opinion that Fedor's striking stats are too high. Modern Warriors will listen to all your suggestions so don't listen to him. Also if you request them to add a fighter they add them as soon as they can. But you really have to decide for yourself so download both and see what you like. Also don't neglect the C-Verse as it's a great mod.[/QUOTE] Quoted for truth. But uhhh, one word that describes WMMA is: Bad Ass. Wait, that's three, seven? Nevermind.

Archived