"The Danger" Chris Matthews... Welcome to Wrestling

Things had changed so much since Chris Matthews had decided he wanted to be a wrestler. Wrestling had a worldwide boom period, meaning that oppotunities to find work were now better than ever. Every region around the world had more promotions now, Australia had four, Europe five, Mexico five, Canada six, the UK five and America nearly ten. Sure, these promotions might not actually have much talent working for them, nor even any owners to fund them, but the promise was there, and if they managed to develop further, the wrestling world was going to be huge. And Chris Matthews was ready for it. For so long he had been a wrestling fan, he had grown up watching the likes of Sam Strong, Tommy Cornell (his hero due to him being British), Skull DeBones and everyone else around TCW and SWF. Since Sam Strong had left TCW and set up his own promotion, Strong Style Wrestling, he may even have the chance to work for an icon of the wrestling industry. He had been training with the elite trainer in wrestling, Phil Chase, and he was almost ready to leave Chase's training camp and head out into the world of wrestling. Matthews was by no means even close to being the finished article... Spirit - 10 Power - 15 Technique - 6 Speed - 4 Psychology - 9 Stamina - 25 Toughness - 9 Charisma - 31 Microphone - 19 Safety - 20 Looks - 56 Respect - 0 But hey, a career isn't made in a day y'know. Matthews had the one statistic that isn't written down anywhere, the courage and dedication needed to drive himself onwards and accomplish his goals. He may not win many matches for a bit, he may not even get a job straight away, but Matthews knew that the road ahead was a long one, and at 18, he had the time to be able to mould his own destiny. Phil had given him a phone number to ring when he felt it was time to get started in the industry. Chris rang it, and a New-Jersey accent responded to him. Jerry: Hey, is this Chris Matthews? Chris: Yeah, sure is. Jerry: Great! Chasey said you were gonna ring me, he told me to tell you that I'm gonna be your agent! Any contracts and other crap that come up, send them my way and I'll help you handle them all. OK? Chris: Yeah... awesome. I'm kinda looking to get involved as soon as possible, you know anywhere that wants some fresh talent? Jerry: Kid, every promotion in the world wants fresh talent, but the thing is, you gotta prove yourself before you go to the big leagues. There are so many promotions around the world nowadays, you just gotta put in the time and effort of contacting all of them. Chris: Contacting all of them? How can I do that? Jerry: Gimme your e-mail address, I'll send through some contact numbers. I'll warn ya now, your phone bill's gonna be pretty big! Chris: Well I saved up $10,000 from my job, but I've quit that now. Jerry: 10 thousand? Hey man, can you spare me five bucks? I gotta get some coffee! Chris: Haha, ok. Jerry: I'm kiddin kid. Don't give in so easily! The promoters are gonna walk right over you if you don't stick up for yourself! Chris: Ok, ok. Just e-mail me through the numbers when you got some time. Jerry: I will do kid, see ya later. Chris: Ok, bye. About half an hour later I received the e-mail, with the following companies e-mail addresses for me to contact. California Xtreme (US, Regional) Canadian Charisma Championship Combat (Canada, Regional) Canadian Xtreme Business (Canada, Regional) Coastal Zone Combat Wrestling (US, Small) Men of Steel Combat (UK, Regional) Michigan Street Wrestling (US, Local) Outback Pro Wrestling (Aus, Local) Quebec Youth Wrestling (Canada, Local) South London Grappling (UK, Local) Sub-Continent Pro Wrestling (Europe, Regional) Tokyo Wrestling Xtreme (Japan, Regional) Ultimate Combat Ring (Europe, Reginal) United States Pro Wrestling (US, Regional) Victoria Grappling Company (Aus, Regional) World Level Wrestling (Japan, Regional) Apparently, these were the only federations who showed interest in having me on their roster. Still, if I could get a job with just half of them, it would be a great start to my career. I e-mailed the same standard letter to each of the companies: [quote]Dear Sir, My name is Chris Matthews, and I am a young wrestler who has only just broken into the industry. I have been informed by my agent that your company has shown interest in bringing me in, and I am contacting you in regards to further developments regarding my status with your company. Thank you for your time. Chris Matthews[/quote] If you can say anything about wrestling promotions, they are quick with their replies to e-mails. By the end of the day, every single federation had replied to me, letting me know what they expected of me for their company. California Xtreme - One Match Try Out Canadian Charisma Championship Combat - One Match Try Out Canadian Xtreme Business - One Match Try Out Coastal Zone Combat Wrestling - $20 PPA Contract for 6 months (Opener) Men of Steel Combat - One Match Try Out Michigan Street Wrestling - $24 PPA contract for 6 months (Lower Midcard) Outback Pro Wrestling - $24 PPA contract for 6 months (Lower Midcard) Quebec Youth Wrestling - $24 PPA contract for 6 months (Lower Midcard) South London Grappling - $24 PPA contract for 6 months (Lower Midcard) Sub-Continent Pro Wrestling - One Match Try Out Tokyo Wrestling Xtreme - One Match Try Out Ultimate Combat Ring - One Match Try Out United States Pro Wrestling - One Match Try Out Victoria Grappling Company - One Match Try Out World Level Wrestling - One Match Try Out I couldn't believe it! In one way or another, every one of the promotions had given me some form of contract, and I'd even managed to secure five official contracts! Yet somehow I still had the feeling that wrestling the matches would be a lot more difficult than getting the jobs...

My first scheuled appearance was in Japan for the World Level Wrestling organisation. Run by Koji Kojima, WLW was a Japanese Sports Entertainment federation, certainly not the style of company I had seen in numerous Japanese videos. I arrived at the arena and found out I was scheduled to face Emerald Angel in my try-out match, and it would be the first match of the evening! Talk about pressure. [b]"The Danger" Chris Matthews vs. Emerald Angel[/b] Deano Machino vs. Masked Cougar Eiichi Umehara vs. Booger Man Insane Machine vs. Hell Monkey Koji Kojima Interview Koki Ishibashi Interview Haru Kurofuji vs. Koji Kojima Koko Ishibashia vs. Burning Takasheeta. [quote][b]Emerald Angel[/b] Emerald Angel is a rookie who has already shown amazing skills for such a young man. He is seen as WLW's secret weapon, and is tipped to be a huge star in the future. He is the younger brother of another WLW star, Koki Ishibashi. Age: 18 Face WLW Contract: - Written - Upper Midcarder Fighting Spirit: 48 Japanese Overness: 40[/quote] From looking at that I certainly had my work cut out if I was going to even stand a slight chance of victory against Emerald Angel. But I kept reminding myself that no matter what happened, the experience would be the key factor. Plus, my first EVER match was going to be against Emerald Angel! That would be something to remember if nothing else. I headed backstage and met up with a few of the guys, such as the booker of WLW Haru Kurofuji. He gave me some advice about going on first and eased my nerves a little bit. A couple of the veterans such as Burning Takasheeta and The Great Hisato weren't too happy to see a rookie in the locker-room, and looked at me as if I was an axe-murderer or something. Oh well, can't please everyone. Besides, my match was about to come up, no time to worry about morons. [b]The Match[/b] I tried to start off with a running clothesline, but Angel just avoided it. Crap. I managed to avoid his legsweep kick though, and I hit a knife edge chop before he broke up my attempted Hammerlock. Angel hit a back kick, a kick to my thigh, and a side headlock takedown. I fought back as he tried to pick me up, and I managed a Bodyslam. Remembering I was a heel, I began choking out Emerald Angel to get some boos, as well as a warning from the referee, but Angel soon broke the chokehold. Angel put me in a Hammerlock, before advancing to the second rope, and hitting me with a Rana! I thought I sold the move quite well, but by now I was easy pickings for any kind of strong move. I avoided a Seated Dropkick, and hit a suplex of my own which made me quite proud. I saw the referee was distracted with something in his eye, and quickly went outside to grab a chair. I brought it back in, and connected with a chair shot to the ribs! I went to swing it again, but Angel came flying at me and connected with a Running Dropkick that kicked the chair into my face. Ouch. Angel went to the top turnbuckle, and tried to hit his finishing move, the Angel's Fury, but I rolled out of the way and Angel met mat. I went for some shots to the back of the head, but Angel slipped out and hit his version of the Dropsault. A flip legdrop missed me, and I came off the ropes and hit a Splash. I picked Angel up and hit a neckbreaker, before hitting some crossface blows to the back of his head. I was pleased I was getting in such a good spell of offense, and whipped him into the ropes, and hit a Big Boot. I stomped him, picked him up again, and hit a Short Arm Clothesline. I climbed to the top rope, but Angel caught me up there, and threw me off to the mat. Angel caught me with a hammerlock kick, a thrust kick, and another hammerlock kick, then up to the top rope for a Missile Dropkick. He certainly likes his kicks. I had to use my last ounce of energy up kicking out ofa pinfall attempt following that dropkick, but Angel didn't let up. He tried to hit a Triple Kick combo, but I avoided it and nailed a DDT! This was my chance! I picked him up, and went for a Face Crusher that I called the Dangerzone, but he reversed it and nailed a side spinning kick. He climbed to the second rope and waited for me to get up, before hitting a Rana. He went for a Seated Dropkick, but I moved, I went for the Face Crusher! No! He reverses it and hits a Dropsault! Angel to the top rope, and this time he hits the Angel's Fury! 1-2-3 - fuggetaboutit. [b]Winner: Emerald Angel Time: 13 Minutes Rating: C+[/B] WLW Youth Gone Wild Results Emerald Angel def. "The Danger" Chris Matthews Deano Machino def. Masked Cougar Booger Man def. Eiichi Umehara Hell Monkey def. Insane Machine Koji Kojima def. Haru Kurofuji Burning Takasheeta def. Koki Ishibashi [b]Progression[/b] Japanese Overness: 1 (+1) Psychology: 11 (+2)

After my match I went backstage to see Koji Kojima in regards to a contract with WLW. Apparently, Emerald Angel had been saying how much he had enjoyed the match and hoped I would be signed to a contract, which was nice of him. Kojima offered me a 1 year contract a $20 a show. I didn't really like the fact I'd be earning the same a year on, so I negotiated it down to 6 months. With the terms agreed, I signed a 6 month deal as an enhancement talent, which was fine by me. The old term "foot in the door" seemed appropriate. [b]Tuesday, June, Week 1[/b] Nothing of note happened today. except in feds that I don't work for, where owners and bookers were signed. JAPW, Japan All Pure Wrestling had chosen The Great Hisato, WLW Universal Champion, to be their booker. I hope he's nicer as a booker than as a person. [b]Wednesday, June Week 1[/b] I flew into Europe to get ready for my next show for Ultimate Combat Ring. UCR have a diverse number of styles on their card which help them appeal to different types of fans. I was up against Puffy the Sand Iron Player, again in the curtain-jerking role. [b]"The Danger" Chris Matthews vs. Puffy the Sand Iron Player[/b] Doctor Insane interview Alpha Female and Miss Information vs. Jeri Behr and Ian Vincible Herman the German vs. Frank De Pain Joey Beauchamp, Doctor Insane and Kirk the Turk vs. Captain Hero, Bigger Dan Ewe and Toby Juan Kanobi Jake Panic vs. Sergei Kalashnov Byron vs. UK Dragon [quote][b]Puffy the Sand Iron Player[/b] Puffy the Sand Iron Player is a good brawler who has a great gimmick - an embittered golfer, who always ends up in the sand traps, and so takes out his anger by wrestling. Age: 24 UCR Contract: - Heel - Upper Midcarder - Verbal Fighting Spirit: 30 European Overness: 32[/quote] He didn't look as strong as Emerald Angel, but I knew it would be another tough match. I headed backstage and got some more tips from the experienced guys back there. They were all pleasant enough and gave me tips if they could. A lot more friendly than the WLW locker-room, and they even spoke a similar language to me. [b]The Match[/b] 0-5 Minutes I avoided a Punch, but didn't hit a Bodyslam, getting an eye gouge instead. I avoided a charging Puffy looking to hit a running body smash, grabbed a side headlock, before coming off the ropes and hitting a running clothesline. I missed a choke, but reversed Puffy's attempt at an irish whip into the ropes, and nailed a Hip Toss as he came back. Puffy reversed my attempt at a knee pull, and hit me with a punch, a mongolian chop and a Low Blow to leave me reeling. I avoided a Big Legdrop whilst still clutching my injured genitalia, picked Puffy up, and nailed a Bodyslam followed by a kick whilst he was down. I picked him up again, and whipped Puffy into the corner, following up with a Big Boot to the head. I followed that with a 10 Punch to get the crowd involved, before lifting him to the top turnbuckle, and throwing him off again. Puffy got pissed off, and threw me out of the ring, following shortly after. 5-10 Minutes Puffy went for a Samoan Drop, but I slipped out behind him and hit an Atomic Drop. I then waited for him to turn around, and hit a suplex on Puffy, with his back landing on a steel chair! Puffy tried to fight back out of a DDT, but I got behind him and nailed a Full Nelson Bomb on to the same steel chair! I was getting on a roll, hitting a Splash, before picking Puffy up and nailing a neckbreaker on the floor. I rolled Puffy back into the ring, but unbeknown to me Puffy had afixed some brass knuckles to his hand, and when I climbed back into the ring, he knocked me out with them! He covered me, and not even my last bit of spirit could help me out. I'd lost again. [b]Winner: Puffy the Sand Iron Player Time: 8 Minutes Rating: D[/b] UCR Reach Down Results Puffy the Sand Iron Player def. "The Danger" Chris Matthews Alpha Female and Miss Information def. Jeri Behr and Ian Vincible Herman the German def. Frank de Pain Captain Hero, Bigger Dan Ewe and Toby Juan Kanobi def. Joey Beauchamp, Doctor Insane and Kirk the Turk Sergei Kalashnov def. Jake Panic (retains UCR World Combat title (1)) UK Dragon def. Byron Again, I got some rumours that Puffy had been generous in his comments about me to the management. I talked with Louis Figo Manico, and he offered me a year-long $20 per-show contract. Again, I talked him down to six months to make sure I would get a raise earlier. I signed on the dotted line, and became an official employee of UCR. [B]Progression[/b] Europe Overness: 1 (+1) Psychology: 13 (+2) Microphone: 20 (+1) Friends: Emerald Angel Puffy the Sand Iron Player

Archived