Building The Buffalo Bulls

After losing my job as The Huron Screaming Eagles (NAIA) Head Football Coach due to the college being shut down, I was looking for a job in the NCAA Division I coaching fraternity. Luckily, my success was known by the AD Andy Powell of the Buffalo Bulls. After coming off a 1-10 record, Mr. Powell fired the head coach and decided to ask me to come interview for the position of Head Coach. I figured that it would be a good experience to go through and down the road it might help me when I decided to interview for a NCAA Division II Head Coaching job. Well, long story short, I was offered the Buffalo job. I accepted it and now I will see how much I have to learn about being a head coach in Major College Football.

The Upcoming Season's Schedule For The Buffalo Bulls: Week 1: HOUSTON Week 2: at Syracuse Week 3: Open Week 4: TOLEDO Week 5: BALL STATE Week 6: at Bowling Green Week 7: at Kent State Week 8: Open Week 9: AKRON (Homecoming) Week 10: at Miami (Ohio) Week 11: at Western Michigan Week 12: OHIO Week 13: Open Week 14: Open Week 15: at Connecticut [B]Offensive Strategy: [/B] Run N Gun [B]Defensive Strategy: [/B] 3-3-5 [B]Notable Starters:[/B] Senior Quarterback Calvin Williams Overall: 2.5 Passing Accuracy: 59 Passing Touch: 46 Arm Strength: 47 Running: 53 Junior Split End James Wilson Overall: 3.0 Hands: 68 Route Running: 60 Run Block: 15 Running: 15 Sophomore Center Horace Pridgen Overall: 2.5 Run Block: 64 Pass Block: 59 Hands: 38 Junior Defensive End Arthur Gentry Overall: 3.0 Pass Rush: 66 Point Of Attack: 67 Tackling: 52 Senior Cornerback Carlo Stevens Overall: 2.5 Coverage: 74 Tackling: 55 Hands: 40

WEEK 1: [B]20[/B] Houston Cougars [B]30[/B] Buffalo Bulls We won this game with poise and confidence. On defense, even though we keyed on Stephen Berry, he still ran for lots of yards. We have to work on that aspect of our game. And our running game also needs work. On a 3 and 1 from the Houston 1 yard line, I ran a QB sneak from a goalline formation and lost 3 yards. That is the state of the running game. I am happy with our pass offense and pass defense. Our special teams helped us win this game. So now we go into the Carrierdome and play a highly regarded Syracuse Orangemen team. We will see exactly how far we have to go in order to be a good team using that game as a measuring stick. [B]Highlights:[/B] 1st Quarter On Houston's first possession of the game, CB James Riley intercepted a William Davis pass at the Buffalo 40 and returned the ball to the Houston 44. That set the tone of the game for the Bulls. The Bulls put together a 10-play drive that stalled on the 5 and allowed Samual Phillips to kick a 22-yard field goal for a 3-0 Buffalo lead. After trading 3 and outs, Houston put together a drive that allowed a 50-yard field goal from Wilton Rivas to tie the game at 3 apiece. The end of the Quarter saw the Bulls driving into Houston territory at the 34-yard line. Score at the end of 1st Quarter: 3-3 2nd Quarter Calvin Williams continued the drive started in the 1st Quarter with screens and dump offs which resulted in a 8 yard Touchdown pass to Douglas Hart. The PAT was good and a 10-3 Bulls lead. After being pinned on their own goalline after a Houston punt, the Bulls could not get anything going and a shanked punt gave Houston the ball at the Buffalo 34. Houston used 4 plays to score a touchdown with the big play being a 28 yard pass from William Davis to Hunter Knowles to put the ball at the 5-yard line. Sergio Wilson scored on a 3-yard run to make the score 10-10. The next possession for the Bulls looked like the beginning of the end for them. Last year, when the Bulls fell behind, they quit playing. The big play was made by CB Joshua Burgess of Houston. He caused a fumble of a completed pass to WR James Wilson, picked up that fumble and ran 67 yards for the touchdown. After the PAT, the score was 17-10 Houston in the lead. After the kickoff, Calvin Williams started picking up chunks of yards in showing off his pinpoint accuracy. He completed passes of 24, 21, and 19 in a drive that again stalled at the 5-yard line. Phillips came out and kicked his second 22 yard field goal of the game and made the deficit 4. After another 3 and out by the Bulls defense, Williams drove the Bulls down the field to the 2 yard line where he gave way to Garry Davis. Davis threw a 2 yard touchdown pass to Matthew Stack with 25 seconds left in the half. Score at Halftime: 20-17 3rd Quarter: Houston had a 11 play drive come to an end with an interception. The Bulls threw the ball away two plays afterwards. 3 plays later, Davis threw another interception to James Riley who returned the ball 43 yards to the Houston 41. The Bulls took 4 plays to score a touchdown with a 5 yard Calvin Williams run off a broken play. The key play of the drive was a 27 yard run be Matthew Stack on a sweep to the left side. Bulls up by 10 and looking like they have the game in hand. However, Houston hit a big play with a 42-yard pass on their next drive. The drive stalled and another Houston field goal (20 yards) was put on the board as time expired in the 3rd. Score after 3rd Quarter: 27-20 4th Quarter: After both teams punted away the ball that included Buffalo KR Larry Walker returned the punt to the Houston 34, Williams hit a 21-yard pass to Paul Mead that set up a Phillips 31-yard field goal to give the Bulls a 10 point cushion again. Houston drove to the Buffalo 27 on the legs of Stephen Berry but a field goal attempt was blocked by David Weaver. And after that the Bulls ran the ball and the clock preserving the win. Final Score: Houston 20 Buffalo 30

Archived