Fitting Bowl Game

Not a dynasty, but my personal game that had an interesting twist. Started my career with Texas Tech, five winning seasons and 4-1 in bowl games. Got an offer to go to USC. Five winning seasons, 2-3 in bowl games. I was happy at SC and passed up a bunch of offers from other schools. Until Michigan came a calling. I've been a die hard bleeder of Maize and Blue and this is only the second career where Michigan dialed up my number. I had to take the job. It was difficult bidding farewell to USC and needless to say I envisioned the reporters giving me a Nick Saban type welcome to the Big 10; competing coaches telling recruits that they couldn't trust me to stay at one school for long. Second season in and a disappointing 6-5 record and a trip to the Sun Bowl (ugh). Normally not a big deal, but our opponent was 8-3 and #10 USC. Since it was only my second season away, this was my freshmen and sophomores at SC that we'd be playing. How fitting. The Wolverines were fired up and showed their support for me in taking out the Trojans 30-25 with the final score coming on a 3 yard dive with 1:32 left to play. Even after all the seasons played, it's moments like this that make you stop and go "whew" and take a moment of pleasure in what it must be like to coach "your" school.

Archived