WWF 1991: Where Gimmicks Rule

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/MrTootles/TITLEFinal2.jpg

FORWARD

Duncan McMurchie was an inspiration.

At the time, Turner's WCW was right at our heels, pushing a more traditional product, and many people - even some in my own company - thought we should follow suit. But reading Duncan's letter helped cast aside my doubts; it renewed my hope that everything I loved about wrestling - the characters, the drama, the superhero quality of it all - could lead us into the next century.

Duncan's ideas weren't revolutionary — they were evolutionary. And after hiring him, I never looked back.

- Vincent Kennedy McMahon

Thanks, josh. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

Chapter 1:

Week 1, January 1991

I still remember the first day our magazine got word that Vince McMahon had hired a new booker. The office was in a frenzy trying to figure out who it was, why McMahon wanted somebody new, and how much WWF would change as a result.

When I learned Duncan McMurchie's identity, I nearly choked on my coffee. He hadn't even worked in the industry before, much less a company with the prestige of WWE. Later interviews reveal that many workers felt the same way, making McMurchie's vision an uphill battle from the start. He showed confidence on his very first day, however, and sent feelers out to a slew of workers. He also rescheduled Primetime Wrestling tapings for Monday, apparently trying to get the production crew used to a faster turnaround (the show would eventually go live).

As for McMurchie's first Primetime Wrestling, this ad shows they had big plans:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/MrTootles/WEEK1AD2.jpg

The scheduled matches were:

The Ultimate Warrior & Hulk Hogan vs. Demolition

Million Dollar Man vs. The Big Bossman

Bret Hart vs. Earthquake

Shawn Michaels vs. Rick The Model Martel

The Honkey Tonk Man vs. Dustin Rhodes

It was pretty much a guarantee that Hogan and Warrior teaming up would get an insane pop, and the tournament held a lot of potential for classic bouts. On paper, the card looked good.

But sometimes things don't go as planned. We had to wait for the show to see whether hiring McMurchie was a good idea.

Archived