Another One Bites the Dust

ACCBiggz

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/1/29/740362/affliction-is-done

Affliction MMA is Done.

Tom Atencio will be making an announcement soon.

A third show will probably happen to fulfill Affliction Entertainments larger contract obligations unless a deal with Zuffa can be arranged to offset some of the costs while Affliction pays off their contract obligations via "sponsorships"...

You could hear in Tom's voice after the event - the realization that:

Everyone is making money here (Trump, Golden Boy, the fighters, etc...) at the expense of Affliction losing millions.

With Affliction footing virtually the entire bill and after PPV distributor: Showtime and Promoter Golden Boy taking their cut - Affliction is left with less than $13 per PPV buy to cover expenses.

Making the initial estimate of 250,000 buys not even close to what will be needed to break even.

The writing was on the wall before the event, Atencio after the event was kind down and made it seem like the rumors were true...and now this. Well, Fedor back to Japan everyone?

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/1/29/740362/affliction-is-done

The writing was on the wall before the event, Atencio after the event was kind down and made it seem like the rumors were true...and now this. Well, Fedor back to Japan everyone?

Saw it coming, Fedor is back off to Japan and all will be right with the world

The Way I think this will affect the MMA World will be like this

1. Fedor goes back to Japan for DREAM or Sengoku, most likely DREAM

2. Best case scenario for Vitor is he goes back to the UFC, if not he heads over to DREAM for sure.

3. Most of the lightweights will probably be off to the WEC or Sengoku, or even DREAM, but I see the WEC as being the most likely possibility

What keeps doing these companies in? I thought Affliction was getting rave reviews no?

I mean MMA right now is like pro wrestling in 96 every little place all across the company is starting up, seems like there is more than enough business to go around.

What keeps doing these companies in? I thought Affliction was getting rave reviews no?

I mean MMA right now is like pro wrestling in 96 every little place all across the company is starting up, seems like there is more than enough business to go around.

The people who watched Affliction enjoyed it but the problem is there weren't nearly enough people watching the event to pay for the ridiculous contracts.

IMO the UFC will mostly try to sign the heavyweights like AA and Ben Rothwell. Barnett won't be going to the UFC but I think it will be about 50/50 that Fedor goes to the UFC.

I think Vitor will almost certainly go to the UFC although he won't have much of an impact.

You've gotta feel bad for the former IFL guys like Jay Hieron.

This sucks but if they are only hitting around 100,000 ppv buys and they are paying out over 3 million on fighter pay it makes this unsurprising. Instead of dishing out so much cash on fighters they should have taken it slower and used some of that cash to promote Affliction to those casual fans that fuel UFC's ppv numbers.

Well im hopeful on that last event we get to see Barnett vs Fedor ive wanted to see that fight for 4 years now.

I hope Fedor goes to the UFC with Cro Cop and Overeem probably going the only good fights besides Barnett outside the UFC would be Werdum and Kharitonov.

Dana's dislike of Barnett will keep him out of the UFC despite the fact that he's one of the best HW's.

Cant wait to see how the stacked Affliction roster falls out one thing for sure the FA market will be a lot more interesting to watch.

This sucks but if they are only hitting around 100,000 ppv buys and they are paying out over 3 million on fighter pay it makes this unsurprising. Instead of dishing out so much cash on fighters they should have taken it slower and used some of that cash to promote Affliction to those casual fans that fuel UFC's ppv numbers.

It's moreso the fact that other companies like Showtime (I think, maybe I'm wrong on that one) and Golden Boy also get cuts of the proceeds. They are not losing money while Affliction foots the bill for the entire thing and can't make it back.

Well im hopeful on that last event we get to see Barnett vs Fedor ive wanted to see that fight for 4 years now.

Fedor said he didn't want to fight him because they are friends... still possible, but doubtful.

I hope Fedor goes to the UFC with Cro Cop and Overeem probably going the only good fights besides Barnett outside the UFC would be Werdum and Kharitonov.

Cro Cop, Overeem, and Schilt are all rumored to be heading to the UFC by summer.

I think Vitor will almost certainly go to the UFC although he won't have much of an impact.

If he's the old Vitor, he'd make an impact, but like I said I don't see him going there because Anderson is the champion. He is a member of the now defunt "Black House" and they are pretty tight, so I wouldn't see him there challenging.

Tell them not to overdue contracts and other things next time and they won't lose millions per show. Just a suggestion.

It's moreso the fact that other companies like Showtime (I think, maybe I'm wrong on that one) and Golden Boy also get cuts of the proceeds. They are not losing money while Affliction foots the bill for the entire thing and can't make it back.

Fedor said he didn't want to fight him because they are friends... still possible, but doubtful.

Cro Cop, Overeem, and Schilt are all rumored to be heading to the UFC by summer.

If he's the old Vitor, he'd make an impact, but like I said I don't see him going there because Anderson is the champion. He is a member of the now defunt "Black House" and they are pretty tight, so I wouldn't see him there challenging.

Tell them not to overdue contracts and other things next time and they won't lose millions per show. Just a suggestion.

If he's the old Vitor, He'll be killing some of the middleweights in the division, He probably will be going to the UFC, and If the Anderson Silva retirement Rumors are true, than he could be the champ

Tom Atencio is now saying all these Affliction is dead rumors are false. I read on Cage Potato that some guy called in on the Tom Leykis radio show pretending to be Atencio and said Affliction is done and BloodyElbow published the rumor and here we are. Atencio said the rumors are untrue and Affliction isnt going anywhere he said a 3rd show is for sure but he wouldnt confirm a 4th show because he said he wants to take it one step at a time.

So I guess all is well with Affliction and Golden Boy, M-1, and Trump for now. I guess there isnt anything else to talk about until after Affliction 3 but im sure there will be plenty of talk about Affliction's fate after the event.

Archived