Referee Continually Losing Popularity...

This one is a bit strange...

Wanting to upgrade my referee situation, I recently hired Baby Jamie (REFEREEING: B-) to come in and give my AAA matches whatever boost that a referee can provide in the game. I'm not sure whether it has worked or not but it definitely hasn't hurt (Main Event and Pre-Main Event Matches for my regional promotion always score in the C to B- range), and I've been gaining popularity steadily. The weird thing is, Baby Jamie, no matter whether I've gained popularity in the area or not will always drop half a letter grade of Overness in the region that just hosted the event (E+ to E, D to D-, that kind of thing). Then, once going back to refereeing events for the USPW (with whom I share him with), he'll get back the popularity back that he lost while refereeing for me. The USPW (currently at cult-level popularity), in my game, is in freefall right now so it seems a little strange that he gains popularity after refereeing matches for a sinking ship (a promotion with whom I'm currently putting a better product out on any given month), rather than an up-and-coming promotion which is rising in popularity every month.

I thought that it might have been due to the fact that I hadn't assigned him a gimmick (I don't use referees in angles so I didn't think it was important) but, even after giving him a gimmick that he could work with, the situation hasn't changed. Eva Berlin, who works my dark matches as a referee (and whose Camera Skills are just as awful as Baby Jamie's) operates under no such "penalties". Like any other worker, she seems to gain popularity (however minutely) in whatever area I use her in.

Anybody have any idea what's going on with this?

Thanks in advance for any insight that anybody has into this minor "mystery".

Foxcutter.

P. S. I have considered that there might be a popularity cap on Baby Jamie but I do find it a little curious that Eva Berlin who, as mentioned, has the same Camera Skills as Jamie (a. k. a. non-existent) and horrible charisma (E+ to Jamie's C-), gains popularity every month while Jamie falters. Or does that even matter in the game?

Popularity caps are generated randomly in every game. Some people will be given high caps, some people will get low ones. Even people with identical stats will get different overness caps, as a little randomness is thrown in to the destiny values to make people different.

That is, assuming this is an overness cap problem. :)

That is, assuming this is an overness cap problem. :)

Yes, thinking about it, I don't think it is a cap problem as it doesn't really explain his "dip" in popularity after every event. It may explain why he doesn't gain any but it doesn't really explain why he loses it, in the first place.

I think the most puzzling thing is, after returning to referee matches for the USPW, he gains the popularity right back -- no matter where they decide to host an event (usually in the South East region, of course). It's almost like the game is somehow self-correcting the negative score they assigned him.

Anyhow, thanks Derek. In all honesty, I was hoping for a little more insight but, in some ways, I'm glad to see that the veteran's are just as stumped as I am.

Foxcutter.

Yes, thinking about it, I don't think it is a cap problem as it doesn't really explain his "dip" in popularity after every event. It may explain why he doesn't gain any but it doesn't really explain why he loses it, in the first place.

I think the most puzzling thing is, after returning to referee matches for the USPW, he gains the popularity right back -- no matter where they decide to host an event (usually in the South East region, of course). It's almost like the game is somehow self-correcting the negative score they assigned him.

Anyhow, thanks Derek. In all honesty, I was hoping for a little more insight but, in some ways, I'm glad to see that the veteran's are just as stumped as I am.

Foxcutter.

What grades are the matches he's reffing for pulling in?

If the matches themself are between people with lower overness than he has, I'd assume he'd take a hit from that.

What grades are the matches he's reffing for pulling in?

Well, I just held a card so I can answer that instantly. This particular card he reffed matches ranging from D to B-. The thing is, in the USPW, he's in the ring for matches much worse than that (lately, it's been D- to C+ over there). If anything, he should be gaining popularity with me based on the workers I throw him in the ring with and the match scores he comes out with.

Knowing I had a card coming up, I made sure to mark down the before and afters of both Eva Berlin (my dark match ref) and Baby Jamie. The card was held in the North West region.

BABY JAMIE (Popularity):

BEFORE/AFTER:

Mid-West: 29.8/30.2 (+.4)

North West: 29.4/28.6 (-.8)

South West: 28.9/29.4 (+.5)

REFEREEING: 75.4/75.7 (+.3)

As you can see, he gained in popularity in my spillover areas but loss significant popularity in the region where the card was held. He'll seemingly get that back when the USPW hold their next card (which, again, is usually held in the South East region...which is a little odd, to say the least). I mean, is there something I'm missing? (And, yes, I have all the latest patches -- though I doubt that's an issue anyways, as other workers don't have the same problem).

Foxcutter.

P. S. Just a note: I believe Eva Berlin has hit her cap as her stats, both in Popularity and Refereeing, have basically remained the same from card to card for a while now but, again, at least she isn't losing Overness like Baby Jamie is.

P. P. S. The USPW just held their latest card (in Hawaii) and scored a -C rating (my card, held two days earlier in the North West, scored a C rating and we increased in popularity). Here are the updated Baby Jamie stats, after the USPW show:

POPULARITY:

Mid-West: 30.5 (+.3)

North West: 29.1 (+.5)

South West: 29.8 (+.4)

REFEREEING: 75.7 (+/- .0)

If anyone can explain this, I'd be grateful. :)

Do the wrestlers in your matches have lower popularity than he does or anything like that? :confused:

I mean, obviously, for some matches that holds true but, for my main event matches (where I get my best scores) the wrestlers are more popular than him (C- to C). I don't think that's really the problem, though. I have a really funny feeling that it has something to do with him being outside his 'home' starting point (a. k. a. the South East) and that somehow negatively affecting him -- it's almost as if the rest of the country loves him...except in the North West (where he must have committed a heinous crime or something). Of course, as demonstrated, he'll eventually gain that popularity back (if I, or the USPW, hold cards in other regions), only to loose it once I go back and start holding cards in my main region again (and, no, we're not at war with the USPW, or anything either...in fact, we have a working agreement with them).

It's a frustrating, one step forward, two steps back, for his Popularity, with me, each and every month.

*Shrugs*

Foxcutter.

P. S. Not this card, but maybe the next one, I'll let Eva (or a new hire) handle the entire card and see what happens to his popularity.

Are your cards huge?

Sorry, Sagitta, had to check (because I wasn't sure) and hadn't had access to my computer to do so. At any rate, no, I'm holding medium-sized cards, at the moment. I think we're on the right track, though. Consider the fact that, in addition to my two cards per month, that the USPW holds its cult-sized events (some of which overlap into my territory) and over-exposure might be the problem. I'll keep monitoring it and, maybe, throw this up in the Official Tip thread should it turn out to be true.

Thanks.

Foxcutter.

Yup. Over-exposure seems to have been the problem and, I guess, this whole discussion can now tentatively be added to the TEW 2008 tips and hints thread.

Rather than choosing what referees I wanted in each match myself (in which I usually selected Baby Jamie to handle the high profile contests), I just went with whatever the AI defaulted to. Added to that, I hired a third referee (Heather Halo) and, lo and behold, Baby Jamie actually gained in popularity this month. Of course, there were other factors at play (the card in question pulled down a C+ rating with a main event doing a B-) so that might've had something to do with it, as well. But, all in all, I think the book on this mystery can officially be closed.

Thanks to one and all.

Foxcutter.

Archived